Why do men 37 yrs and up start to look like my grandpa?

Twenty-ten

• Author
I go out dressed in jeans and a T shirt usually as well especially in the summer. I just do not care about being super fashionable or any of that. Going to trendy clubs is not my thing anyway. I would rather take my jet ski out on the water and I will be buying a boat pretty soon. The metrosexual thing is not for me. Men are better when we are rough if you ask me. I would rather shoot pool with bikers.

Speaking of rough this is my issue with current music. What happened to the raw aggression in groups like Motorhead, Stooges, Hendrix and others like them? Rock music is too pretty or too laid back for my tastes these days.

Ooooh Lemmy and the Stooges. Nice! :laugh: Yeah I know what you mean, we do need more aggression in current music. It'll come it's all cyclical. Arctic Monkeys...?

It wasn't a club it was a restaurant much like Nobu or something along those lines. I don't like metrosexuals either, but I do like a guy who can dress well, a good pair of jeans and nice shirt will do nothing too fancy. I am sure you don't wear dad jeans.

Ohhh the dad jeans I couldn't get over that, how did he go from a prince in a nice suit to somewhat long waisted dad jeans? :laugh:

I met Lemmy once and he is the most down to earth celebrity I have ever met. He is just like those bikers that I shoot pool with.

To me you can never go wrong with good old blue jeans. Many men just wear a suit becuase they have to. I don't even know what dad jeans are.

Speaking of the original topic if you go to my local supermarket at 11:00 am you will see plenty of women who have not aged well at all plus they are the most miserable people on earth who have nothing better to do than clip a million coupons and complain over a penny.

I think men in their 40's and 50's are H-O-T. They're more centered, more sure of themselves, more mature, and better looking.

Woggle, meet dad jeans:

http://www.magnificentbastard.com/images/pics/dad-jeans-2.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Pd8DLlnBpZw/RmznXKnRz-I/AAAAAAAAAJs/EpYAR9DhkjE/s1600-h/Pleated+Denim.jpg

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

My x x's best friend was a HUGE Lemmy fan and he met him as well, he had the exact same thing to say about him.

That's bull**** :rolleyes: Real jeans (and any pants, for that matter) ARE supposed to fit at the waist. Just because you chose the weirdest cuts available anywhere doesn't mean that there is inherently wrong with the proper waist:

http://www.sheplers.com/promo/wrangler_rigid_jeans_19/010401.html

More generally, jeans are workwear, so they don't belong in any form in settings that are are not the farm or roughing it up in the woods or on the beach or in the country. So the hipster fags with low rise designer jeans are just as inappropriate.

All that low waisted crap is an offshoot of the trend in women's fashion towards low waists. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sure because you don't have to date that.

I guess you don't care how a woman presents herself either then?

You don't have to date that either. If you ask me my wife looks the sexiest when she first wakes up in the morning so I am not overly concerned about women's fashions.

• Author
That's bull**** :rolleyes: Real jeans (and any pants, for that matter) ARE supposed to fit at the waist. Just because you chose the weirdest cuts available anywhere doesn't mean that there is inherently wrong with the proper waist:

http://www.sheplers.com/promo/wrangler_rigid_jeans_19/010401.html

More generally, jeans are workwear, so they don't belong in any form in settings that are are not the farm or roughing it up in the woods or on the beach or in the country. So the hipster fags with low rise designer jeans are just as inappropriate.

All that low waisted crap is an offshoot of the trend in women's fashion towards low waists. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah at the waist not the arm pits. That picture of that Wrangler ass is the bomb! :lmao:

If jeans are supposed to be workwear then don't wear them on a first date, unless you are coming to build me a wooden cabinet in which case wear some overalls and nothing underneath and we can skip the cabinet making. :laugh:

Come on, there are better looking jeans these days to wear out on a date then to schlep around in. Men in their 20's and 30's wouldn't be caught dead in dad jeans, they would wear a cool pair of jeans not even designer ones, Levis and t-shirt is way better than a pair of dad jeans and a bad tucked in top. Levi's has great men's jeans that are fit for going out on a night out.

See what I mean some guys just don't get it after a certain age.

Edited by Twenty-ten
Yeah at the waist not the arm pits. That picture of that Wrangler ass is the bomb! :lmao:

If jeans are supposed to be workwear then don't wear them on a first date, unless you are coming to build me a wooden cabinet in which case wear some overalls and nothing underneath and we can skip the cabinet making. :laugh:

Come on, there are better looking jeans these days to wear out on a date then to schlep around in. Men in their 20's and 30's wouldn't be caught dead in dad jeans, they would wear a cool pair of jeans not even designer ones, Levis and t-shirt is way better than a pair of dad jeans and a bad tucked in top. Levi's has great men's jeans that are fit for going out on a night out.

See what I mean some guys just don't get it after a certain age.

Sure, there are hideous jeans of the walmart variety that should be avoided (but as the wranglers demonstrate, even 20 bucks can make you look good; I'll have to disagree with the Levis - most, though not all, of the cuts are pretty bad; the first pic you posted could easily a pair levis 501).

Your more general point is wrong, however - guys in their 20s can't dress to save their lives. Some never learn (or never begin to care to learn) and it becomes more and more apparent as they age, that's true. But many (like myself) eventually master the art of classic dress by the time they turn 30, and in turn look way better than we ever did in our 20s. And this too does not need to involve spending lots of money. After some basic details are appreciated and understood, it's a piece of cake. [i made a bet with my GF that I would transition from pijamas to fully dressed within 3 minutes this morning (and won), and still looked better than 95% of the city, on my sad middle class income.]

The other factor is weight - getting fat will make anybody look old, but that's not strictly age-related these days,..

Simple answer - because they are lazy and have low standards.

It's a good thing though because i) it means if you aren't lazy and take care of yourself, you will look better than 80-90% of the competition out there ii) you can tell pretty quickly what someone is like, from their outer appearance iii) someone who looks good at 40 will look better than average at 50 and 60 too.

• Author

You're right Mr White, Levi's for the most are not very good, I was thinking 501s darker wash. But of all the typical jeans you can get pretty much anywhere there are some styles within Levis that are cut in a more flattering way but a lot would fall under the dad jean category actually.

Personally I like Guess jeans for men, and my current guy wears David Kahn jeans, and of course Citizen jeans are great but DKs and Citizen are designer and can get expensive. They do have very flattering cuts and a great wash to them. I don't expect all guys to dress like that. If they do, bonus but if they wear more average jeans at least have a pair that are a decent cut something a little more modern other than the armpit cut baby blue cheesy jeans.

So you were serious about those Wranglers? :lmao:

Yeah, on the whole, men enjoy innate and cultural advantages that make it relatively easy for them to pass as being younger than they are.

That said, it's true that plenty of dudes fall off the proverbial cliff once they hit their mid-thirties. I've got a hypothesis about what's going on with those guys, and though it's nothing brilliant, I think it's broadly correct.

Look: At the most fundamental level, your body is a collection of tissues composed of molecules in certain configurations. Aside from radio-isotopes, age is basically irrelevant to atoms and (most) molecules, and so, viewed from a certain perspective, age is irrelevant to your body's tissues, too.

So, what's important isn't the numerical age of your body, but the chemical state of its tissues. Saying that a person looks "young" is really just saying that some of his or her bodily tissues have a structure similar to that of the tissues of your average young person.

As a corollary, "age" can be thought of in terms of tissue damage - specifically, the sort that tends accumulate over a lifetime. A person who looks "old" is just someone with tissue damage similar to certain forms found in old people.

Time for the money shot: These guys who are 37 going on 60? I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that most have artificially accelerated their own aging through poor choices that injured their bodies' tissues, e.g.

- smoking - liberates huge quantities of free radicals that damage cellular components such as DNA.

- obesity - causes inflammation of tissues throughout the body, f*cks up metabolism, yada yada.

- excessive drinking - neurodegenerative, damages several other organs...

- sun worshiper - damages skin cell DNA

- sedentary lifestyle - among myriad indirect problems, this causes muscle atrophying and deterioration of joints.

- not mentally challenged - neurodegenerative

- poor diet - screws up metabolism, promotes cellular damage and inflammation...

And so on. The collective effect of these poor choices is artificially advanced aging. The decrepit dudes mentioned in the OP look old because, in the most important sense, they are. This effect was less pronounced in their earlier years because they'd had less time to injure themselves and their bodies' internal repair mechanisms were functioning more effectively.

Edited by Skump

you should thank your lucky star for your good genes!

but lets not forget that age and sex appeal are two different things. i have a friend in her early 40's who looks her age yet when she walks into a room, all the men will stare at her. it is her confidence, her style, her ability to exude womanly sensuality that attracts more attention than a better looking, wrinkle free, 20 year old would.

Levis 501 and 505 fit great IF YOU ARE NOT FAT.

For the price they are great and they come in a ton of different colors - faded, washed, ripped - whatever you want. I have tried on fancy $200-300 jeans, guess what they are not any better than my $40 Levis. Frankly the material is thinner and fit no better. Oh they do have one thing - they have stitching on the back pocket that make you look gay.

I used to wear my jeans looser till my trainer told me the way it is. She said you are not fat, you are lean and have a nice butt - why are you wearing baggy jeans making you look like a slob. Go shopping with a fashionable woman and she will straighten you out in a hurry.

And absolutely no golf shirts either. Do you want to look like a corporate dweeb or some middle aged golfer at the country club?

Men in general are sloppy today and I make an effort not to be. Even young guys are sloppy because of the rap and hip hop celebrities. I see women all dressed up with makeup, heels and what not and these guys looked like they just stepped out of a junk yard.

It takes effort to make yourself look good and a lot of guys just cant be bothered.

burning 4 revenge
Those bands you list are all mainstream, far far from being experimental. That one hit wonder the YeahYeahs had a few years back was Ok I guess... because it had a VU backbeat :lmao:

True

Experimental musicians and afficianodos come from every age group, I dont think there is an age demographic when it comes to that kind of stuff

Actually the parents of the 60s and 70s generations thought the Beatles and Hendrix were weird and strange. The parents of the 90s generation hated the music as well. The music of today is bland corporate produced stuff that almost sounds like it was made by a bunch of robots.

Quite honestly generation Y is very lame and boring which is why I don't really want to stay hip and trendy.

I'm part of bland Generation Y, and what is ironic is how my parents and their contemporaries were the rebellious kids of the 1960s and 1970s. These once rebellious kids of the 60s and 70s are the ones creating and enforcing these ridiculous laws and rules of the kids today. It's like they don't want us to have the same fun they did. And the corporate types who financed all the hip things we have today are the same people cramming all this cookie-cutter, bubblegum pop music down our throats. So yes, I do agree that many aspects of Generation Y are bland, but a lot of that has to do with the restrictions placed upon us by the Boomers who got to have all the fun.

• Author

Skump that was an interesting post you made, that theory makes a lot of sense. In fact that can apply to both women and men I would say.

My comments/observations, to clarify, beyond how a person ages which sometimes has to do with lifestyle choices and in some cases a genetic predisposition to premature aging, are about how a person puts themselves together and how they hold themselves culturally.

Men seem to lose that will to stay current in appearance a lot sooner than women.

And absolutely no golf shirts either. Do you want to look like a corporate dweeb or some middle aged golfer at the country club?

Men in general are sloppy today and I make an effort not to be. Even young guys are sloppy because of the rap and hip hop celebrities. I see women all dressed up with makeup, heels and what not and these guys looked like they just stepped out of a junk yard.

It takes effort to make yourself look good and a lot of guys just cant be bothered.

Thank you! That is exactly it, looking good takes effort and is not actually a bad thing to want to put effort into looking good. As someone said earlier, the opposite of that is due to pure laziness.

The kicker in my experience with "dad jeans" was that, and get this, he was telling me about internet dating and how he hates not being able to see what a woman really looks like before he meets her and then he tells me, "yeah I had one date where I took a woman to a really nice restaurant for dinner on our date and she showed up in jeans" So I say to him, yeah but jeans can be fine for a date as long as you dress them up right, and you can still be sexy in the right jeans and accessories don't you think? Then he goes "no but these were bad jeans and she had no sex appeal to her at all the way she was dressed"

I was thinking to myself, is this guy for real? He shows up in dad jeans and bad tucked in jersey top and complains about blind dates from the internet who dress poorly?

HILARIOUS! :lmao:

I'm part of bland Generation Y, and what is ironic is how my parents and their contemporaries were the rebellious kids of the 1960s and 1970s. These once rebellious kids of the 60s and 70s are the ones creating and enforcing these ridiculous laws and rules of the kids today. It's like they don't want us to have the same fun they did. And the corporate types who financed all the hip things we have today are the same people cramming all this cookie-cutter, bubblegum pop music down our throats. So yes, I do agree that many aspects of Generation Y are bland, but a lot of that has to do with the restrictions placed upon us by the Boomers who got to have all the fun.

I agree that boomers are the biggest hypocrites in the world who completely sold out everything they believed in. My in laws are a few that have not sold out but most did.

Many of our present problems are directly traceable to the boomers - a generation that never experienced any significant hardship in their lives, and has a twisted sense of entitlement and warped view of the world. Specifically, the boomers are probably the worst parents that have ever existed.

burning 4 revenge
Yeah, on the whole, men enjoy innate and cultural advantages that make it relatively easy for them to pass as being younger than they are.

That said, it's true that plenty of dudes fall off the proverbial cliff once they hit their mid-thirties. I've got a hypothesis about what's going on with those guys, and though it's nothing brilliant, I think it's broadly correct.

Look: At the most fundamental level, your body is a collection of tissues composed of molecules in certain configurations. Aside from radio-isotopes, age is basically irrelevant to atoms and (most) molecules, and so, viewed from a certain perspective, age is irrelevant to your body's tissues, too.

So, what's important isn't the numerical age of your body, but the chemical state of its tissues. Saying that a person looks "young" is really just saying that some of his or her bodily tissues have a structure similar to that of the tissues of your average young person.

As a corollary, "age" can be thought of in terms of tissue damage - specifically, the sort that tends accumulate over a lifetime. A person who looks "old" is just someone with tissue damage similar to certain forms found in old people.

Time for the money shot: These guys who are 37 going on 60? I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that most have artificially accelerated their own aging through poor choices that injured their bodies' tissues, e.g.

- smoking - liberates huge quantities of free radicals that damage cellular components such as DNA.

- obesity - causes inflammation of tissues throughout the body, f*cks up metabolism, yada yada.

- excessive drinking - neurodegenerative, damages several other organs...

- sun worshiper - damages skin cell DNA

- sedentary lifestyle - among myriad indirect problems, this causes muscle atrophying and deterioration of joints.

- not mentally challenged - neurodegenerative

- poor diet - screws up metabolism, promotes cellular damage and inflammation...

And so on. The collective effect of these poor choices is artificially advanced aging. The decrepit dudes mentioned in the OP look old because, in the most important sense, they are. This effect was less pronounced in their earlier years because they'd had less time to injure themselves and their bodies' internal repair mechanisms were functioning more effectively.

This almost makes sense and is a good perspective, but you aren't taking into account hormonal effects on the body or the role of stem cells in aging
  • Author
This almost makes sense and is a good perspective, but you aren't taking into account hormonal effects on the body or the role of stem cells in aging

Could you please elaborate a little more on the correlation of stem cells and aging? It sounds interesting.

twenty-ten,

I am confused. It seems that the goal of this post is for you to repeatedly state how young and hot you look and how incredibly well you have aged. You wrap it in this theory about how the general population ages but it seems that your focus is mainly on - well - you.

I noticed how angry / nasty you were to the one woman who gently suggested that you really don't need a whole board full of people to help you respond in a tactful way to compliments from people who haven't aged as well.

And I wondered how much you were angry at her question, which frankly was a perfectly reasonable one. Or if instead you were mad that she was diverting attention away from you since SHE really is beautiful.

Skump that was an interesting post you made, that theory makes a lot of sense. In fact that can apply to both women and men I would say.

My comments/observations, to clarify, beyond how a person ages which sometimes has to do with lifestyle choices and in some cases a genetic predisposition to premature aging, are about how a person puts themselves together and how they hold themselves culturally.

Men seem to lose that will to stay current in appearance a lot sooner than women.

Thank you! That is exactly it, looking good takes effort and is not actually a bad thing to want to put effort into looking good. As someone said earlier, the opposite of that is due to pure laziness.

The kicker in my experience with "dad jeans" was that, and get this, he was telling me about internet dating and how he hates not being able to see what a woman really looks like before he meets her and then he tells me, "yeah I had one date where I took a woman to a really nice restaurant for dinner on our date and she showed up in jeans" So I say to him, yeah but jeans can be fine for a date as long as you dress them up right, and you can still be sexy in the right jeans and accessories don't you think? Then he goes "no but these were bad jeans and she had no sex appeal to her at all the way she was dressed"

I was thinking to myself, is this guy for real? He shows up in dad jeans and bad tucked in jersey top and complains about blind dates from the internet who dress poorly?

HILARIOUS! :lmao:

I think it all depends on the individual and how they look after themselves.

I'm 30 but I'm frequently taken for being 5-10 years younger, depending on how I'm dressed and what I'm doing. When I'm wearing a suit at work, people assume I'm around 25, and in jeans and tshirt I sometimes get accused of being 20-22. However if I didn't work out, style my hair, or wear makeup then I'd be perceived as older, and ditto if I gained a lot of weight or acted all mature, or if I ruined my skin with drinking/smoking/sunbathing. Perhaps if I had kids I would have aged worse, but I'm still pretty much in shape - a lot of other women like to attribute my youth to not having kids, but I'm not convinced it's the main reason I look youthful.

My ex, who is also 30, is sometimes mistaken for his father in the street! He became extremely overweight and doesn't exercise, was unlucky enough to lose his hair so ended up shaving his head, smokes and drinks heavily, sunbathes, has kids and generally acts a lot older than I do.

My other ex, who is now 39, also looks extremely old - he's like a fat middle-aged man with dreadful skin, and I know for a fact that he hasn't taken care of himself at all. He's aged so badly that I now feel like I had a lucky escape!

By contrast, my other ex is now 40 (i.e. older than the previous ex) and often passes for being around 28-30 because he works out, doesn't drink or smoke or sunbathe, and keeps himself active and healthy.

My current boyfriend is 35, and he isn't a drinker/smoker/sunbather, and generally takes care of himself pretty well. My family have accused him of being my toyboy and lying about being older in order to persuade me to date him :)

... are we seeing a theme here? In general, the exes who looked after themselves look better than those who didn't, making allowances for genetics.

So I think it very much depends on the genes of the individual, how good their skin is, whether they go bald, etc... but it also has a lot to do with how well they take care of themselves, whether they eat well and work out, and avoid bad things like smoking/drinking/sunbathing... and (although this may be an unpopular comment) I think that having kids ages most people a lot, in looks and in behaviour.