Why do men 37 yrs and up start to look like my grandpa?

Twenty-ten

thegreatmoose
You are right Thegreatmoose, it is a very small difference. Mind you it is the only official study I had found given your request. This thread was purely observational on what I notice when I look around at people.

The part of women outliving men, while yes this is is true, it doesn't necessarily point to the fact that it's because women look younger though...you can outlive someone and still look older, right?

I've never made a similar observation either way. Maybe I automatically make the adjustments in my head. For example I might subconsciously assume that a woman of a certain age has a few less wrinkles than a man of a certain age.

Your observation is certainly consistent with the studies, though do you see a larger difference than a year in your observations?

Certain habits do cause people to look younger and I would have to think that some of these same habits help people live longer. Certainly many people outlive others and still look older. I wonder how much of a correlation there is between how quickly someone ages in appearance and how long they live.

• Author

Your observation is certainly consistent with the studies, though do you see a larger difference than a year in your observations?

Certain habits do cause people to look younger and I would have to think that some of these same habits help people live longer. Certainly many people outlive others and still look older. I wonder how much of a correlation there is between how quickly someone ages in appearance and how long they live.

Actually come to think of it that is a very good point! I have known elderly couples who lost their partners and within a year not only did they go into a deep depression after losing their spouses but they also looked older and ended up dying shortly thereafter. Maybe there is a connection between looking older, throwing in the towel, living poorly and fast tracking yourself out of your life.

I look at that Jack Lelane guy (is that his name?) the guy who made the juicer machine, he must be like 200 years old yet he looks like he is in his 60s. :laugh:

Oh and to answer your question I've see anywhere between 5 to 10yrs difference.

thegreatmoose
Actually come to think of it that is a very good point! I have known elderly couples who lost their partners and within a year not only did they go into a deep depression after losing their spouses but they also looked older and ended up dying shortly thereafter. Maybe there is a connection between looking older, throwing in the towel, living poorly and fast tracking yourself out of your life.

I look at that Jack Lelane guy (is that his name?) the guy who made the juicer machine, he must be like 200 years old yet he looks like he is in his 60s. :laugh:

Oh and to answer your question I've see anywhere between 5 to 10yrs difference.

He's 95 and is no doubt in better shape than most men half his age. Amazing.

I'd think the average woman puts a lot more time and effort into looking young as compared to the average man. Do you think that contibutes significantly to the 5-10 year difference in your observations?

Edited by thegreatmoose
  • Author

I'd think the average woman puts a lot more time and effort into looking young as compared to the average man. Do you think that contibutes significantly to the 5-10 year difference in your observations?

Definitely! That was my main point all along here.

"Dad pants" had a very good looking face, had all his hair and had a very smooth face and was in pretty good shape a bit of a tummy but nothing major it was sexy not off putting. But his overall look was not good and made him look a lot older than he was.

Edited by Twenty-ten
thegreatmoose
Definitely! That was my main point all along here.

"Dad pants" had a very good looking face, had all his hair and had a very smooth face and was in pretty good shape a bit of a tummy but nothing major it was sexy not off putting. But his overall look was not good and made him look a lot older than he was.

I agree with you.

It looks like the clothing that the people wore was probably not part of the studies which gave a difference of less than a year. I wonder how the results would have been difference if this were taken into account and I also wonder how the female observations would compare to the male observations.

I'm still young (24 years of age). I'll give y'all my observations from college until now. Both sexes party hard freshman year and put on weight/get out of shape. It seems like guys like the idea of not having to stay in shape for sports anymore (at least I was like this), so they just quit all physical activity, binge drink, and quit exercising. College guys are less image conscious so they don't feel the urgency to get back in shape. Girls, on the other hand, are disgusted at what they did to nice, tight bodies they had in high school. Girls respond by eating well again and hiring personal trainers at the gym. They also might get into yoga, pilates, etc., which many guys look down upon. By the end of school, it seems a lot of girls get back into good shape.

It also seems like my male friends are more career oriented than my female friends, leading to an increasingly stressful life. Stress plays hell on your body.

• Author

BG1985 those are all really good points, I especially see the "guys feel like they don't have to work as hard after they are out of sports", and they don't need to stay in shape. There is a bit of a double standard there because women who know that it is better for them in the long run to maintain their appeal , married, single, mom, or otherwise, also wish they could just throw in the towel a bit and not have to work as hard to look young and attractive.

But women aren't offered that luxury because we are expected to keep men's attention throughout our lives. You see even around here how women are talked about who aren't young and who don't maintain a pleasant physical appeal. I think in this day in age men are being held to almost the same standards and it rubs some of these men the wrong way. We have seen much of it in this thread, and I bet they fall in the vicinity of category of what I described, yet they have pretty high standards when it comes to women.

Much like "dad pants" who was complaining about how women dressed on a first date and he was doing the exact same thing.

BG1985 those are all really good points, I especially see the "guys feel like they don't have to work as hard after they are out of sports", and they don't need to stay in shape. There is a bit of a double standard there because women who know that it is better for them in the long run to maintain their appeal , married, single, mom, or otherwise, also wish they could just throw in the towel a bit and not have to work as hard to look young and attractive.

But women aren't offered that luxury because we are expected to keep men's attention throughout our lives. You see even around here how women are talked about who aren't young and who don't maintain a pleasant physical appeal. I think in this day in age men are being held to almost the same standards and it rubs some of these men the wrong way. We have seen much of it in this thread, and I bet they fall in the vicinity of category of what I described, yet they have pretty high standards when it comes to women.

Much like "dad pants" who was complaining about how women dressed on a first date and he was doing the exact same thing.

Women hold themselves to these standards more than men do. Most of the stuff that makes women insecure comes from the fashion industry and women's magazines which are run by women and gay men.

• Author

Yes there is an element of truth to the pressures women place on other women but surely you can't deny that men place a tremendous amount of pressure on women to look good and to look young. You think all the histeria that happens in those couples where the women start to over do it with the plastic surgery is to compete with other women or because of gay men in fashion? Nuh-uh, it is because these women know that if they don't take care and do everything they can to look younger and stay sexy that their men will trade them in for younger more attractive versions. The best part is a lot of these guys don't look as good, but the women are still expected to look good.

Surely you have heard men speak amongst themselves, and men can be just as viscous about what they expect from women as women are in what they expect from themselves.

I keep reading these studies about how for example the shape women think men want in them is actually a lot slimmer than what men actually choose, and silly things like that but we can't deny that men have always been demanding of women. Even around here I have read many times that a woman could be extremely successful and be very smart and driven and have potential to be a good partner but she is not as attractive or older and men could care less about that. They would rather be with with some dumbed down, no education version of that any day so long as she looks young and hot. This may be an extreme example but time and time again we read that men don't care about a woman's success, by and larger men still like arm candy at the end of the day. If that were not true all those "good enough" looking nice women would be snatched up left and right by single guys yet they are not.

Edited by Twenty-ten

I can speak for many men when I say we don't want dumbed down arm candy. Maybe some men do but I can't stand women like that. Also I know of many couples where the man is perfectly happy with the woman he has but she goes nuts with the plastic surgery anyway. I wish women would spend half the time working on their personalities as they do their looks. Women are their own worst enemies. Also women initiate 75% of divorces so most of the leaving is done on their end. Men trading in women is only part of that 25%.

Anyway I just can't figure out why this bothers you so much? If a man does not want to take care of himself it's his life right?

With respect to looks, it seems like a lot of guys have an attitude saying, "If I have a good job and make a lot of money, girls should be flocking in my direction regardless of my physical appearance." Then they overcompensate in this area of their life, their job, at the expense of everything else, i.e., physical/mental well-being, sense of style, hobbies, and other things.

• Author

Anyway I just can't figure out why this bothers you so much? If a man does not want to take care of himself it's his life right?

These are the same men who complain there are no decent sane normal women left, translation: hot looking women who will overlook the fact they threw in the towel and look 10ys their senior due to their own choices.

It's interesting to point out the double standard.

That's why.

These are the same men who complain there are no decent sane normal women left, translation: hot looking women who will overlook the fact they threw in the towel and look 10ys their senior due to their own choices.

It's interesting to point out the double standard.

That's why.

You are not a man so you do not know why we think the way we do. Women have all these absurd standards while offering nothing as well. Some women offer nothing but looks and then get surprised when a man gets tired of them because despite their outer beauty they are intolerable to live with.

Woggle, from what I see, women dress to impress their friends just as much as they do it for men. They are really judgmental with respect to how their friends dress. I think it's absurd that girls pay $300+ for a dress that they might wear just once in their entire life.

Woggle, from what I see, women dress to impress their friends just as much as they do it for men. They are really judgmental with respect to how their friends dress. I think it's absurd that girls pay $300+ for a dress that they might wear just once in their entire life.

Very true and god forbid another woman shows up wearing that dress. I also notice even the normal and sane women at work flipping through gossip rags and talking about how female celebrities look while the men simply don't care.

I love it when girls look nice, but I feel like they put too much pressure on themselves. My ex girlfriend would take no less than 1.5 hours getting ready when we would go out. She has a thick head of hair and would take 45+ minutes blow drying her hair and straightening it. That's insane.

• Author
You are not a man so you do not know why we think the way we do. Women have all these absurd standards while offering nothing as well. Some women offer nothing but looks and then get surprised when a man gets tired of them because despite their outer beauty they are intolerable to live with.

Ok you are a man, enlighten me and tell me why men do this then? Yes I am not a man nor do I make things up for how men think I have heard men themselves say those exact things.

I agree if all you have is a pretty face and a nice butt going for you then don't expect to be anything more than that.

What BG1985 said is so true, that a lot of men think that just because they make great money and have good careers that is all they need to attract a "special girl" of course for them that means a girl who is probably 3 or more points up from him in the looks department forsaking all other aspects of her being.

Woggle I am not just some random woman making this crap up, if men didn't focus most their energy on how females look the whole skin industry would not even exist, sexism in advertising would have long been abolished, and using hot women to sell products or to serve in sales roles to entice clients would not exist. Women don't typically buy from sexy men, women buy products they like from people. Heck we will buy whatever form whomever we just live to buy....:laugh:

But on the flip side you could sell a hair drier to a bald guy if the girl is sexy enough, and he will find a use for it if he has it in his brain that he is getting a sexual charge out of the transaction.

Men are different in this respect so please don't tell me they are not.

Some men think with their penises but many don't and I am certainly not one of them. I have dealt with more than my fair share of outwardly attractive women that were horrible people. Some men say these things because some almost take pride in being the pigs that feminists accuse us of being. I don't understand this way of thinking myself. Also many of these are just pounding their chest and would easily hand their balls over to a woman.

If men stopped caring about attractive women then women would still compete with each other. I wish women would get it through their head that men are not to blame for everything they face in life. Sometimes they should take a look at themselves instead.

• Author
I love it when girls look nice, but I feel like they put too much pressure on themselves. My ex girlfriend would take no less than 1.5 hours getting ready when we would go out. She has a thick head of hair and would take 45+ minutes blow drying her hair and straightening it. That's insane.

While that is a really long time to get ready, (trust me we change as we get older and master the routine :laugh:) having long thick hair is hard to style, I empathize with her because it does take a long time to blow out thick hair.

I know to men speak this is ridiculous, and I understand that, because for guys it is easier wash and go you don't even dry your hair. But you have to walk a day in our heels to know what it's like to do what we do to look good. Yeah sure, some women will say, it takes me 10 mins to get ready and I am good to go, well I have seen the women that say it takes them 10mins to get ready, shower, make-up and all. Let me assure you, it shows. :eek:

I think a lot of you guys who complain about women taking too long to get ready would not give the 10min women a second look.

I love it when women also say. "She must be a real dog if it takes her more than 10minsn to get ready" my answer to that is, Heidi Klum is no dog and I can bet it takes her a good 40mins to get ready to go out too.

Some men think with their penises but many don't and I am certainly not one of them. I have dealt with more than my fair share of outwardly attractive women that were horrible people. Some men say these things because some almost take pride in being the pigs that feminists accuse us of being. I don't understand this way of thinking myself. Also many of these are just pounding their chest and would easily hand their balls over to a woman.

If men stopped caring about attractive women then women would still compete with each other. I wish women would get it through their head that men are not to blame for everything they face in life. Sometimes they should take a look at themselves instead.

Exactly! It's competition for women. When a woman shows up to an event with a designer dress, 9/10 heterosexual men at the event have no clue 1)who made the dress, 2)whether or not it's considered a nice dress, or 3)whether the dress cost $50 or $500. On top of that, they don't really care. They might think to themselves, "That looks like a nice dress," or "Her body looks sick in that dress," and that's the deepest observation a man will make about a woman's dress. Why do girls have 50 pairs of shoes? Men don't pay attention to shoes either. Girls do this to show off to their girlfriends. Now once again, not every girl does this. I've seen it first hand though. Girls love comparing dresses and shoes.

While that is a really long time to get ready, (trust me we change as we get older and master the routine :laugh:) having long thick hair is hard to style, I empathize with her because it does take a long time to blow out thick hair.

I know to men speak this is ridiculous, and I understand that, because for guys it is easier wash and go you don't even dry your hair. But you have to walk a day in our heels to know what it's like to do what we do to look good. Yeah sure, some women will say, it takes me 10 mins to get ready and I am good to go, well I have seen the women that say it takes them 10mins to get ready, shower, make-up and all. Let me assure you, it shows. :eek:

I think a lot of you guys who complain about women taking too long to get ready would not give the 10min women a second look.

I love it when women also say. "She must be a real dog if it takes her more than 10minsn to get ready" my answer to that is, Heidi Klum is no dog and I can bet it takes her a good 40mins to get ready to go out too.

I wasn't really complaining about how long it takes, but sometimes it is aggravating. I find it flattering that a girl cares enough to spend that much time/money to look good for me. My main gripe is when a girl just HAS to go through all this effort just to go to a dive bar on a Wednesday night where no more than 10 people will be present.

• Author

A girl can buy a $29 dress at a stripper shop and looking smoking hot in it, but she will still look like a $2 hooker in spandex cheese.

The reason we spend more money, or we go for designer dresses or we look for better tailored outfits is because while it flatters our physique we don't look like $2 whores in our outfits.

Anyone can look like "Svetlana" the mail order bride walking in to an event, the question is do you want that look?