Why do men 37 yrs and up start to look like my grandpa?

Twenty-ten

Men don't even notice what their friends are wearing. We might notice if one of us got a new boat or piece of electronics but I saw my friend earlier this morning and damn if I know what he was wearing.

• Author
Men don't even notice what their friends are wearing. We might notice if one of us got a new boat or piece of electronics but I saw my friend earlier this morning and damn if I know what he was wearing.

Believe me men notice what women wear. If it looks good they are noticing.

thegreatmoose
I love it when girls look nice, but I feel like they put too much pressure on themselves. My ex girlfriend would take no less than 1.5 hours getting ready when we would go out. She has a thick head of hair and would take 45+ minutes blow drying her hair and straightening it. That's insane.

I find that quite a few men complain that women take too long to get ready, but once they see her, they say it was well worth it.

It's just an observation I've seen time after time over the years. Even on most casual first dates I've been on, it's clear the woman spent a lot of time getting ready.

We just notice they look good but don't notice the details. How many women talk about being hit on in sweats, no makeup and thinking they look like crap?

thegreatmoose

We do notice what women wear.

We notice what women wear far more than we notice what other men wear. At least I do.

A girl can buy a $29 dress at a stripper shop and looking smoking hot in it, but she will still look like a $2 hooker in spandex cheese.

The reason we spend more money, or we go for designer dresses or we look for better tailored outfits is because while it flatters our physique we don't look like $2 whores in our outfits.

Anyone can look like "Svetlana" the mail order bride walking in to an event, the question is do you want that look?

But it's still in competition with other girls. Girls rag on each other for wearing cheap brands. Girls notice that stuff. Guys mostly don't. I went to a wedding a few weekends ago and decided to wear a tie I had bought in New York over the summer that I hadn't previously worn. It's a nice tie and pretty expensive (about $155). However it was on sale when I bought it so I paid about $90 or so for it. I actually brought a few ties so I had options for when getting dressed. I asked one girl which tie I should wear and she chose the nice, expensive tie just from a quick, visual comparison. Later on I had several other girls compliment me on how nice my tie was. Before that wedding, I had typically worn less expensive ties and had never been complimented on specifically the tie. Come to think of it, maybe I should buy some more nice ties.

• Author
We just notice they look good but don't notice the details. How many women talk about being hit on in sweats, no makeup and thinking they look like crap?

Yeah but those same women should go out to a social event looking the same and we'll see how much attention they get over the other women who put effort into how they look. It's all relative to circumstance, no one is that hot that they can bypass social norms and expectations.

I had a friend who was very attractive a dental hygienist, and she was always in her scurbs and her hair was tied up in a greasy ponytail and she had no makeup and her top would have cat hair all over it, just didn't give a crap, and at night when we'd all go out she looked like a bombshell. Sure sometimes guys would try to chat her up at work and pick her up, but if she were to go looking like that to a night spot she would be looked at like she was an extra terrestrial. She ran into guys she knew from our social scene and they even made comments like "wow I almost didn't recognize you are you ok?" :eek:

Guys notice.

• Author

If I know where the Keith Richars comment is headed all I can say is I see a ton of Keith Richards' around my place, they are either buying lotto tickets and smokes at the convenience store, pan handling outside major people traffic areas or sleeping on cardboard boxes by the train stations.

The actually Keith Richards would perceived as exactly that minus the money and the music career.

I know that guys notice whether a woman looks good or not. I'm saying that most guys don't know and don't care whether a woman's dress was made by Vera Wang or whoever else. We don't care if her purse is Louis Vuitton, Coach, or Chanel. We don't care if her shoes are Blahniks. I don't care if my friend's suit was made by Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, or Brioni.

• Author
I know that guys notice whether a woman looks good or not. I'm saying that most guys don't know and don't care whether a woman's dress was made by Vera Wang or whoever else. We don't care if her purse is Louis Vuitton, Coach, or Chanel. We don't care if her shoes are Blahniks. I don't care if my friend's suit was made by Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, or Brioni.

I understand what you are saying, I agree most guys don't give a crap about labels on women, I was just explaining why we opt to go for finer things than some of the cheaper alternatives. It's not like I buy all designer, not even close, I do however know the brands that suit me and fit me best and why. Sure I can find a cute outfit at H&M or any of the other teeniebopper stores, but I also know that it will more than likely fall apart in a few wears and or look warn in quicker than something made with better care and not just for major mass production.

But you are right spending more to spend more is not justified just to say you wear labels.

I know you don't care about where a suit is made and you are still young so your need for a good suit is probably not as big, but later if you do get into the corporate world career wise a good well tailored suit will make a difference trust me on this. Especially if you deal with clients or if you are an entrepreneur, you always want to dress to impress even if you are hurting for cash, that is how you attract more business. And men deal with men in the corporate world so it is not even a superficial female thing. I know most guys who know what it is like to wear a well tailored suit vs a $100 suit will agree there is a great difference. It doesn't have to be a "special" brand but it does show when you spend a little more.

Edited by Twenty-ten

Oh I know the value of a good suit and good shoes. Suits are an investment more than anything. I have to tell another wedding anecdote. A few years ago my friend's sister got married. Their dad works in investments and had one friend from Goldman Sachs who came in for the wedding. His net worth is in the tens of millions. Without having ever met or seen the guy, I knew exactly which one he was because his suit looked so much nicer than everyone else's suits. This is also due to the fact that I take time to research men's clothing so I know what's good and what's not. Most guys don't care to learn and can't tell you the difference between Joseph A Bank and an expensive Italian brand such as Brioni.

• Author

that's a great story BG, for women looking well put together is also an investment it opens a lot more doors in many aspects of life. Some men should learn from this as well and realize that it can for them too, if they took the time and care to do so it could open more doors for them too.

You can sit and cry about what a superficial world we live in and do nothing to get with the times, or you can embrace it and jump in on the action too.

We are who and what we are given what god (or whatever higher power you believe in) has given us to work with, but we can always do things to improve ourselves even when we are working with less than perfect goods.

That is my only point to my observation here.

I am not just some random woman making this crap up, if men didn't focus most their energy on how females look the whole skin industry would not even exist, sexism in advertising would have long been abolished, and using hot women to sell products or to serve in sales roles to entice clients would not exist. Women don't typically buy from sexy men, women buy products they like from people. Heck we will buy whatever form whomever we just live to buy....:laugh:.

You certainly are making it up, you are repeatedly told the -fact-, not the conjecture, that a vast majority of the money women spend on beauty, on shoes, clothing, handbag, luxury grade cosmetics, nails etc. has nothing to do with pleasing or attracting men. It's a simple incontrovertible fact known within the beauty industry, and especially to advertisers, who would otherwise tailor advertising targeted at females towards attracting men in the same way that beer companies use sex appeal in ads designed for men (drink the beer, get the girl). Yet the industry does not do this generally because it knows that women do not seek beauty primarily at the behest of men.

Attracting men is a motivator for women to seek beauty, but far from the only or even major motivator. Yet you keep on blithely repeating, over and over, as so many women love to, that, "men force these standards on women," when that statement and the rest of the paragraph quoted above is riddled with absurdity and amounts to a bald-faced lie.

Young, beautiful women have been at the peak of social value since the dawn of time, and will always be at the peak of social value. It has nothing to do with "sexism in advertising." As long as advertising exists, attractive females will be its primary representatives. The female form represents fertility and sexuality in its very essence, the male body does not. These are cues deep within us that aren't going to change and have nothing to do with standards men force on women.

Yeah ok and boob and butt implants and lip injections are to please gay fashion lords! :lmao:

They are made to please the mirror. Remember Snow White? an almost perfect allegory/analogy.

They are made to please the mirror. Remember Snow White? an almost perfect allegory/analogy.

Exactly. Women want to look in the mirror and feel pretty or they do it based on what they think men want.

• Author
They are made to please the mirror. Remember Snow White? an almost perfect allegory/analogy

Riight because it is the mirror that has given her the complex that she is not as desirable as other women who are not flat chested, it is other women who are into big boobs not men. :laugh: Men have never complained about women's bodies, next I will try to tell you that men's obsession with their penis size is due to men's mental issues or the mirror, would you believe that one too?

Exactly who are you trying to convince with some of your comments, you or me? If it's me you need to go a lot harder, this isn't working.

Y

Young, beautiful women have been at the peak of social value since the dawn of time, and will always be at the peak of social value. It has nothing to do with "sexism in advertising." As long as advertising exists, attractive females will be its primary representatives. The female form represents fertility and sexuality in its very essence, the male body does not. These are cues deep within us that aren't going to change and have nothing to do with standards men force on women.

Those are cues that appeal to men, nothing more, it is not within "us" it is withing YOU. I won't buy a car because a bikini babe is spreadeagled on it, men will.

What has nothing to do with sexism in advertising? Sexism in advertising is for and from men. So what are you on about it has nothing to do with youth and beauty? That is what appeals to men which is why sexism is a very powerful tool in advertising. Don't lump women in there with your "us" business, I could care less if a product is sold to me with a chick in a bikini or some old guy in pjs in fact throw a puppy in there and it's good as sold as far as I am concerned. The product has to vouch for itself, I am not like a kitten who sees a shiny object and I lose my concentration and attention span, like men react to sexism.

• Author
Exactly. Women want to look in the mirror and feel pretty or they do it based on what they think men want.

If you have ever even thought about the size of your penis, you can blame other men and your mirror for that too then. Deal? ;)

Men buy Beemers for fun, to impress other men and possibly women.

Women buy Prada and Gucci to look good, impress other women and possibly men.

I live in a town of stuffed suits. Lots of lawyers and politicians. Everyone is out to impress the world and keep up with the Joneses. Here a suit is just another uniform in my eyes. But yeah, when you can the well tailored $500 suit really does look and feel a lot better. I just rarely wear them.

As far as keeping up with 'what society expects'? Whose society? Who is society? Being trendy ? Don't really care, I like what I like and that's that. Most of the keeping current thing is about nothing but advertising and sales. Some people trade in their cars every 2 -4 years because they feel they have to keep up. So all they do is fill the coffers of the banks and never actually own the car. Treu artists and innovators ignore trendiness anyway.

Oh you're not cool because that blouse is sooo last year. Advertisers prey on people's insecurities to make them buy buy buy.

• Author

Ok Sumdude those are some really good points you brought, up. Advertising preys on everyone, no one can say they never ever fell to the effects of advertising in one way or another we all have and do.

Fine if advertising preys on people's insecurities and buying is just to calm those same insecurities why even pursue a financially successful career? Why go for money? Who needs money if you don't need things to fit in socially and to feel good? If you need nothing to feel good why do you have anything?

next I will try to tell you that men's obsession with their penis size is due to men's mental issues or the mirror, would you believe that one too?

Yeah, I do actually, because it's true. Most men's inferiority issues about their equipment is unwarranted. Women can certainly exacerbate it, but fear of not getting women is not the core issue in men's penile inadequacy, the mirror is. Most men will readily admit this, I can't imagine many men saying that their fears of penile inadequacy come from some standard women have forced on us.

Exactly who are you trying to convince with some of your comments, you or me? If it's me you need to go a lot harder, this isn't working.

"You or me" aren't the only people reading this thread.

Those are cues that appeal to men, nothing more, it is not within "us" it is withing YOU. I won't buy a car because a bikini babe is spreadeagled on it, men will.

Women prefer female models to male in advertising, another simple marketing fact that you either don't realize or won't admit. Bikini models spread eagle on car hoods is about 5% of the way young, beautiful women are used in advertising, more often they are used in ways that appeal equally to men and women. I don't see many cosmetics ads that include a man, or imply that by using X cosmetics, you will get Y man.

Sexism in advertising is for and from men. So what are you on about it has nothing to do with youth and beauty? That is what appeals to men which is why sexism is a very powerful tool in advertising. Don't lump women in there with your "us" business, I could care less if a product is sold to me with a chick in a bikini or some old guy in pjs in fact throw a puppy in there and it's good as sold as far as I am concerned. The product has to vouch for itself, I am not like a kitten who sees a shiny object and I lose my concentration and attention span, like men react to sexism.

Will try to make some sense of the mess above.

1. You claimed that a sexist attitude in advertising is what led to the prominence of young, beautiful women therein, and stated that once that sexism is gone, young beautiful women would not be used in advertising.

2. I countered that because the female body is symbolic of sexual fertility and reproductive sexuality itself, and that the male body is not, that beautiful young women taking a primary role in advertising is a natural occurence, not some sexist machination, and that it will continue.

3. You counter somewhere in the above jumble, by saying that you personally don't buy products based on sexual appeal.

4. That's fine if you don't, most people do though, or sex wouldn't be the primary means of marketing to both women and men otherwise.

Men buy Beemers for fun, to impress other men and possibly women.

Women buy Prada and Gucci to look good, impress other women and possibly men.

I live in a town of stuffed suits. Lots of lawyers and politicians. Everyone is out to impress the world and keep up with the Joneses. Here a suit is just another uniform in my eyes. But yeah, when you can the well tailored $500 suit really does look and feel a lot better. I just rarely wear them.

As far as keeping up with 'what society expects'? Whose society? Who is society? Being trendy ? Don't really care, I like what I like and that's that. Most of the keeping current thing is about nothing but advertising and sales. Some people trade in their cars every 2 -4 years because they feel they have to keep up. So all they do is fill the coffers of the banks and never actually own the car. Treu artists and innovators ignore trendiness anyway.

Oh you're not cool because that blouse is sooo last year. Advertisers prey on people's insecurities to make them buy buy buy.

Exactly. I don't give a damn what is trendy and what society expects. If at the end of the day I can look in the mirror and like what is see that is all that matters to me.