Why do men 37 yrs and up start to look like my grandpa?

Twenty-ten

Being in a committed relationship and having kids causes men's testosterone levels to drop. That could lead to a drop in physical activity and overall excitement.

• Author

I noticed how angry / nasty you were to the one woman who gently suggested that you really don't need a whole board full of people to help you respond in a tactful way to compliments from people who haven't aged as well.

I got snarky with her because it is not her or anyone's place to determine what people should and shouldn't know how to handle. If we all went around telling people "you're an adult you should know how to handle that" every time someone asks questions about their issues then what is the point of having an advice board?

:lmao: I like your user name ShamWow

Eyeore79 I agree that having children does seem to make some people age prematurely. The best part is that the one x I am talking about does not even have kids. Lucky girl, your 35 yr old boyfriend looks like a boy toy! :love:

The guy I came to this site to try and forget is 58. He buys his clothes at Walmart. He looks great in his Wranglers~ It's not the jeans; it's the butt that fills out the jeans. :) He could care less about edgy music. Can't stand it as a matter of fact. Sometimes he even cut his own hair, which then would resemble a bowl. He would not be able to identify any upscale, hip restaurant.

He is also sexy as all get out, awesome in the sack, and really handsome, if you like a Sam Elliott kind of guy. Sigh.

• Author

But at 58 you sort of expect him to be more like Sam Eliot not at 37. 58 is granpa age. I agree men can look sexy even at 78, no doubt about that, again age appropriate is what I mean. 37 and looking 50 is not age appropriate just like being 37 and trying to look 17 is not.

I hear ya 2010. I guess it's just that there really is no one-size-fits-all is all I'm saying. He was like that when he was 37 too I'm sure! (Plus I miss his fine self.)

I guess if a guy is a drip, he's a drip, no matter how old he is!

Ill be 29 tomorrow and everyone tells me i look 16 or 17 because i havent changed in size ( i have 2 kids) and i havent change in appearance. My fiance however is 27 and from the pictures ive seen of him over the course of 10 years he looks a lot older. I guess its genetics, its how they take care of themselves.. I dont know.. I take pretty good care of myself, and im very glad that i'll be coming up on 30 soon and i still get carded to go in the movie theater. :)

Also, dont fill their heads will rubbish about them looking good if you clearly dont feel that way. Just be nice and move on if they arent appealing to you..

• Author
I hear ya 2010. I guess it's just that there really is no one-size-fits-all is all I'm saying. He was like that when he was 37 too I'm sure! (Plus I miss his fine self.)

I guess if a guy is a drip, he's a drip, no matter how old he is!

Awww I'm sorry to hear you miss your guy and that you are broken up Clever. :(

You are absolutely right, there is no one particular age or body image for causing another pain in a break up.

Ashkayi you are right, I am not about to say something that is a flat out lie, it's just hard because I do want to return the nice compliments but what do you say?

Many of our present problems are directly traceable to the boomers - a generation that never experienced any significant hardship in their lives, and has a twisted sense of entitlement and warped view of the world. Specifically, the boomers are probably the worst parents that have ever existed.

I am a boomer parent, I've raised 3 wonderful, healthy

adults 2 educated to Master's degree level and one a newly minted PH.D. All 3 are socially aware, caring human beings who travel, have great friends and are active in causes they are passionate about. All Boomers are not the same.

The boomer parents whom Mr. White speaks of wouldn't be waxing introspective here on LS. Shoes and feet theory. Congratulations on your familial success, soserious; good on ya. We need more parents like that. :)

Perhaps I missed the reasoning, but I wonder where the OP came up with the specific age of 37....... Now, if she had said 50, I'd understand much more clearly ;)

burning 4 revenge
Could you please elaborate a little more on the correlation of stem cells and aging? It sounds interesting.

Im not a biologist, but stem cells replenish dying cells to keep orgnas vibrant and the older one gets the less effective their stem cells are restoring damaged tissue

There's a whole field out there called regenerative medicine which is soley concerned with stem cell research

The boomer parents whom Mr. White speaks of wouldn't be waxing introspective here on LS. Shoes and feet theory. Congratulations on your familial success, soserious; good on ya. We need more parents like that. :)

Perhaps I missed the reasoning, but I wonder where the OP came up with the specific age of 37....... Now, if she had said 50, I'd understand much more clearly ;)

Spot on, carhill.

• Author

You are right it is a bit random :D I said "37" to pick a number in the high 30's I should have just said 35-44 and cap it at that.

Saying 50 wouldn't make sense, 50 yr old men do look older and at that age I guess you start to look 50 a 30something or even early 40's really shouldn't look grandpa aged.

Thanks for the explanation Burning4Revenge I will research more sounds interesting.

My 3 children, winners each and every one are the best people and I consider them the crowning glories of my life's work.

As far as all this other stuff about jeans and music.. there is nothing sadder than a 40- or 50 something, man or woman trying to dress and act as if they were 20. Low rise jeans with a hi rise gut do nothing for the wearer or those who see him or her.

I dress in styles that flatter me and I listen to a wide range of music:)

• Author

Why is it that when people make reference to people over 40 dressing well for their age they make the automatic assumption that it means dressing like a teenager or worse yet like they are grasping at eras past? It's just funny how some in this thread automatically go to extremes. You don't have to go to extremes to stay current!

Why instead of thinking of Courtney Love, Cher, Dee Snider and Dennis Rodman, who are extremes, why not think of the many fashion icons that are over 40 who look and dress very well for their age. In fact there are more Rosie O'Donnel and Rosanne Barr lookalikes out there than there are women/men who dress ridiculously young for their age. I do see a few women who try to look like they are 20 sure I see that a lot too but mostly I see average prematurely old looking people the most.

When I think women over 40 or late 30s' who look and dress their age, Nicole Kidman, Michelle Obama, Jackie O, Halle Berry, and Cameron Diaz, Jen Anniston, come to mind, not Madonna or Cher. :rolleyes:

Why is it that when people make reference to people over 40 dressing well for their age they make the automatic assumption that it means dressing like a teenager or worse yet like they are grasping at eras past?

I'll tell you why, because you yourself, the OP, constantly talk about "dad jeans" or some "bad shirt," then go on to talk about can't even remember the brand of silly fashion jeans your guy wears, and some argle bargle where you exalt the "cool factor" of 21 y.o. men :lmao::lmao:. You have been all over the place in this silly thread based on mostly anecdotal experience from 2 old flames on FB.

Moreover, you can't seem to grasp that the way you worded the thread title, snarked at early posters unnecessarily, rely on non sequiturs, accuse people of "emotional involvement" :lmao: (have you actually ever BEEN on the internet before?), and constantly contradict yourself makes people want to flame you.

• Author

Two things Meerkatstew

1. The only one heckling/flaming and constantly derailing topics of discussion on this board, is you.

2. My feet are firmly planted on what I have been saying all along, men start to look much older at a much younger age than women. Nothing has changed or flailed.

I thank everyone who contributed to the discussion and refrained from taking this personally, or making a complete fool of themselves because they disagree. It has been a very interesting discussion.

Edited by Twenty-ten
thegreatmoose

Very interesting thread.

I'd say it's about the same for both sexes when people start to look "older". It seems to have more to do with our habits and genetics more than gender. So much of it seems to be opinion on what "older" means in terms of appearance and everyone has their own opinions which offen differ wildly.

I wonder if there have been any studies done on this. It would seem hard to do one that's not biased one way or the other.

• Author

Arcus Senilus - my grandpa had that along with cholesterol problems and also died of liver cancer. He was not over weight, was a big guy 6'2" but also didn't watch what he ate. I remember his eyes they were hazel and that grey circle around them like it was yesterday. :(

thegreatmoose
Good question The Great Moose I found this:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s398101.htm

http://pmj.bmj.com/content/77/911/578.abstract

This is exactly what I am talking about.

Thanks. They are very interesting.

Taken from the 1st link

"It seems that when trained observers are asked to estimate how old a person is, they tend to underestimate a woman’s age by about six months, and overestimate a man’s by three."

a difference of 9 months

Taken from the 2nd link

"Men had an average perceived age of 0.37 years older than their actual age and women a perceived age of 0.54 years younger."

a difference of 0.91 years

Both studies conclude that women do look younger than men of the same age but by less than a year. How signifcant is this? One can emphsize the less than a year part, but one could also empasize that women do look younger than their age and men look older than their age in both studies.

The results do not surprise me since women on average live longer than men by about 5 years.

• Author

You are right Thegreatmoose, it is a very small difference. Mind you it is the only official study I had found given your request. This thread was purely observational on what I notice when I look around at people.

The part of women outliving men, while yes this is is true, it doesn't necessarily point to the fact that it's because women look younger though...you can outlive someone and still look older, right?

When I put my reading glasses on, tilted my head back, and leaned close to read this thread all I could think to say was "Grandpa?! You WISH your grandpa looked this good, young lady!"

I've had enough of this foolishness. I'm heading off for a nap now.