Why do men 37 yrs and up start to look like my grandpa?

Twenty-ten

If you're 21.. then I can see that men that age would be old for you..

but for me.. 37 is PERFECT!!!! even a little older is still very good.. :bunny:

skydiveaddict
I'll be 41 on the 21st. Check my profile photos. Do I look like your grandpa?

No, of course not. Why?

Because I don't sit around on my arse drinking beer, eating pizza and being a lazy slob. I eat right, take care of myself and work out 6 days a week. I also have damn good genes too, haha, something you can't work for. You either got'em or you don't.

Caliguy I got you beat just look how young I look in this photo:http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/BCP/BCP141/portrait-smiling-older_~BCP039-68.jpg

Someone must be hitting the meth a little too hard if she actually believes men age HARDER than women. Not even close. I'll grant her the fact that maybe the small percentage of men over thirty seven she works with may have these features, it's definitely not an accurate representation of the truth.

Don't be so niave to believe these suitors feeding you a bunch of 'you look so' lines, they want in your pants, sounds like they have been feeding your ego well. What to you think they'd say, hey that ten pounds makes a nice muffin top? When your forty you'll look around and notice that most men have aged better.

Caliguy I got you beat just look how young I look in this photo:http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/BCP/BCP141/portrait-smiling-older_~BCP039-68.jpg

:lmao: ahhaahaha, that guy looks like he's lovin life.

I have to agree with the original poster.

One of my male friends thought about trying to fix up his recently divorced 40 y.o. sister with some of his buddies, but then he noticed that all of his buddies look way older than their age.

He has commented that he never noticed it until trying to find a date for his sister, but guys over 40 seem to be 50+ pounds overweight and are still squeezing themselves into clothes from 10 years ago. Plus, they have let their hygiene go (scraggly beards, no excess hair removal, not showering/shampooing regularly). Also, he noticed that many men are just in terrible shape physically (break out into a sweat and get out of breath walking up hills/stairs) while his female friends all are active (biking, jogging, etc).

He said he feels sorry for his single female friends having to date men that look so old.

He has commented that he never noticed it until trying to find a date for his sister, but guys over 40 seem to be 50+ pounds overweight and are still squeezing themselves into clothes from 10 years ago. Plus, they have let their hygiene go (scraggly beards, no excess hair removal, not showering/shampooing regularly). Also, he noticed that many men are just in terrible shape physically (break out into a sweat and get out of breath walking up hills/stairs) while his female friends all are active (biking, jogging, etc).

He needs to find some new friends who don't live in trailer parks to set her up with.

IMO, men start to look like men, in their thirties and older. The grooves and weathering on their face is tres sexy and grey hair or hair loss doesn't bother me. What does bother me is if they allow themselves to get totally out of shape, which doesn't help their own personal health issues, one bit.

skydiveaddict
I have to agree with the original poster.

One of my male friends thought about trying to fix up his recently divorced 40 y.o. sister with some of his buddies, but then he noticed that all of his buddies look way older than their age.

He said he feels sorry for his single female friends having to date men that look so old.

That's much more a matter of lifstyle than age IMO

Jersey Shortie
No I am not wrong, I know what I am talking about I have eyes and a brain so please don't tell me what I am "not" seeing. I live in a cosmopolitan city, if I go to the suburbs it's even worse.

Oh Gosh, you have eyes? You sure are special. What's it like to have eyes? I mean, right now I'm sitting here with my braille feeling my way along completely eyeless. Tell me more about the big city and having eyes.

Thanks for your unnecessarily rude comment and sarcasm. If I knew what to say I would not be asking for help now would I? 

If you can dish it out, which you clearly can, you should be able to take it.

burning 4 revenge
You know what a big part of the problem is OP...and I see it here on this board and all over society...young men are encouraged to eat high calorie diets and bulk up with weights as opposed to eating sensible diets and concentrate on cardiovascular exercise

By the time a lot of guys are 40 their joints are wrecked and theyre 50 lbs overweight

I go back to this

The exercise regimens marketed to women are much better than the ones marketed to men

The new P90X and some of the others seem like a breath of fresh air, but for the longest time guys were taught to lift heavy and pound beers and we can see the results

I'm 39 and I look like hell. I look like hell that has been soaking too long.

Yeah but if that's your dog, you don't need to look good, that pooch has chick magnet written all over him/her.

• Author
Actually it kind of sounds like you're trying to contact some of these men from your past to have an affair but are frustrated because the men from your past aren't up to your standards. However you're still ego-tripping on the empty compliments they're feeding you.

I suggest if this is a big problem for you you just stop communicating with them.

Hope I didn't hit a nerve there.

You are kinda really wrong because they all contacted me, I don't look for x's on FB, they look for me. We also live in different countries. Different continents for that matter. They are not trying to have sex with me. :laugh:

But keep up the fantasies your stories must make for some B rated time killers for someone around here (I don't speak for myself when I say that)

You think I need some disfigured ex boyfriend from 20 yrs ago telling me I look hot on FB? :laugh: Trust me I don't. I just want to return the favor in and can't unless I lie. That's the issue here. A lot of men just don't look as good as women when they get past 40. I want to say "hey you haven't changed that much either you still look great" but seriously can't.

So how do you handle all the compliments and not give them back? It makes me feel uncomfortable because I am not a mean person but come on, I can't lie. Surely anyone would advocate honesty over lying?

• Author

I guess men become more and more secure in their looks in direct proportion to women becoming more and more insecure in theirs through life. Sounds -real- promising for men as we age, and well, frankly, not so promising for women. :p

Yeah ok, tell that one to someone who actually believes it. :laugh:

There are some women who age very well but there are also a lot of women who are not nearly as good looking as they think they are. It's not just men who age badly.

I'll be 41 on the 21st. Check my profile photos. Do I look like your grandpa?

You're an exception Cali.

You know that you are.

In my experience most men don't age any better or worse than women. Most of the guys and girls I went to highschool with look like haggard, bloated, cartoonish representations of their former selves.

I am rarely attracted to men over 40- there is the odd exception, but I agree- many can pass for my grandpa.

• Author
You're an exception Cali.

You know that you are.

In my experience most men don't age any better or worse than women. Most of the guys and girls I went to highschool with look like haggard, bloated, cartoonish representations of their former selves.

I am rarely attracted to men over 40- there is the odd exception, but I agree- many can pass for my grandpa.

Yes perfect description in your second paragraph D-Lish.

I agree, I meant to comment earlier and forgot, I saw Caliguy's pictures he definitely looks very good for his age, he looks like what a 40 yr old should look like. He is definitely an exception not the rule.

Is it possible part of this is an Eastcoast v. Westcoast thing? Many of the late thirties and over men here, on the Westcoast, don't look like grandfathers. There's perhaps more stress put on a relatively active and healthy lifestyle.

Yeah ok, tell that one to someone who actually believes it. :laugh:

Those plastic surgery and botox factories aren't booked to the hilt with men, are they?

• Author
Is it possible part of this is an Eastcoast v. Westcoast thing? Many of the late thirties and over men here, on the Westcoast, don't look like grandfathers. There's perhaps more stress put on a relatively active and healthy lifestyle.

That's it, if I am single when I am 40 I am moving to the Westcoast. There is hope! :laugh:

I'm not sure what it is, but I can tell you a lot of guys after 40 look like they have never set foot in a gym their entire lives, they also look like they haven't left their homes for a decade. I'm telling you it is even beyond physical beauty it is more of how they put themselves together, or should I say how they don't bother anymore. They dress, talk, and act like an 80's MTV video dad. Sort of square and just too old for their age.

I don't get it!!? Why if you are single at that age would you not want to make an effort?

Yes perfect description in your second paragraph D-Lish.

I agree, I meant to comment earlier and forgot, I saw Caliguy's pictures he definitely looks very good for his age, he looks like what a 40 yr old should look like. He is definitely an exception not the rule.

Yep, Cali has it going on.

I think a lot of people let themselves go in their mid 30's- and it's a shame.

I meet my highschool gf's for dinner once a month and most of them have simply gone to shyte. They've cut their hair clean off, spend their free time in dirty track pants, and one thinks "dressing up" means donning her gold mickey mouse earrings with her freshly "convenient" buzz cut.

It's a shame.

• Author
Those plastic surgery and botox factories aren't booked to the hilt with men, are they?

They should be, it would make a lot of these guys more passable.:laugh:

No but seriously you don't need plastic surgery to look your age, you just need to take better care of your overall appearance, dress well, eat well, and most importantly have a fun attitude. You can have your life together and be a responsible adult and still be fun. Why do men get so dry after a certain age? A lot of guys are so boring after a certain age, they really lose their moxie.

It's just been really shocking to see how poorly some of these men have aged and changed for the worst. It's sad really. I am not saying be Peter Pan for eternity, I am simply saying look your age not 10 yrs older.

They should be, it would make a lot of these guys more passable.:laugh:

No but seriously you don't need plastic surgery to look your age, you just need to take better care of your overall appearance, dress well, eat well, and most importantly have a fun attitude. You can have your life together and be a responsible adult and still be fun. Why do men get so dry after a certain age? A lot of guys are so boring after a certain age, they really lose their moxie.

It's just been really shocking to see how poorly some of these men have aged and changed for the worst. It's sad really. I am not saying be Peter Pan for eternity, I am simply saying look your age not 10 yrs older.

Sometimes 20 years older- and I am not kidding.