Why do men 37 yrs and up start to look like my grandpa?

Twenty-ten

burning 4 revenge
It's not about gender but about how well you take care of yourself. I know women in my early 30s who I used to go to high school with and they look like who did it and ran. All those years of drinking, drugging and being out of control finally caught up with them meanwhile I am in the best physical shape I have ever been.
Im running three miles a day, but I cant get near the times I used to when I was a kid
kiss_andmakeup
I have and believe me I am flattered that they looked me up, but the thing is that they keep complimenting on all the pictures that I load up from recent events or that friends load up, and they post comments like "wow stunning" or "you look the same as when we dated even more beautiful" and I don't know what to say in return. One of them is sending me pictures via the email function and I just don't know what to say, I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to lie either...

These guys are married or in relationships so there is no interest on their parts for anything other than to catch up after all these years.

You just don't know what to say? Come on now...you say "nice pictures, it was nice catching up with you!" or some other nondescript pleasantry and be done with it. You're an adult. I think you can handle it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm 25 and my partner is about to turn 36. All I can say is..what a HUNK :love:. He's sexier than any man I have ever seen who is in their 20's or early 30's. I guess those men just don't have the fortune of aging well? Because not all men headed for their 40's are doing so roughly.

• Author
You just don't know what to say? Come on now...you say "nice pictures, it was nice catching up with you!" or some other nondescript pleasantry and be done with it. You're an adult. I think you can handle it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for your unnecessarily rude comment and sarcasm. If I knew what to say I would not be asking for help now would I? :rolleyes:

I said nice pictures already, he keeps fishing for more. Now please don't post any more comments here unless you really want to help. Thanks.

• Author
You're wrong Twenty-ten.

No I am not wrong, I know what I am talking about I have eyes and a brain so please don't tell me what I am "not" seeing. I live in a cosmopolitan city, if I go to the suburbs it's even worse.

Im running three miles a day, but I cant get near the times I used to when I was a kid

That's funny since I seem to have much more energy. I used to be somewhat chubby and unhealthy but in recent years I have turned things around.

burning 4 revenge

You know what a big part of the problem is OP...and I see it here on this board and all over society...young men are encouraged to eat high calorie diets and bulk up with weights as opposed to eating sensible diets and concentrate on cardiovascular exercise

By the time a lot of guys are 40 their joints are wrecked and theyre 50 lbs overweight

• Author
Do you think this explains the cougar thing?

Like half of single women over 40 want guys around 10 years younger and the more money the women have the higher the chances they want younger instead of their own age

I guess, maybe you're right. Personally 10yrs younger would be too young for me, but I feel I have more in common with men who are in and around my age give or take a few years than say with a typical 43 yr old man, the majority of 43 yr old men that is. I know there are many great exceptions. I just think that men lose their fun appeal after a certain age, they become tired and boring. I still lead a very active lifestyle and need someone who can keep up, I like to stay up late I like to go out, I like to go out dancing still, and I work out and take fitness classes. Younger men can keep up more in this respect and I am not exactly 21 myself. I have female friends in their 40's who look like they are early 30's and who also lead very active lifestyles, they are just very spunky and I don't see them with half the available men out there. It's sad to see how many men let themselves go.

Good for all you men who participated here and who make an effort!! You have no idea who much you are in demand in the single world!

I know when I was single I really wanted to meet a 40 something year old that was still cool and fun. Sometimes even just dressing well and smiling more, can do wonders for your overall appearance. Something 40 yr old men who are carrying around all this excess relationship baggage and what have you, could use more of.;)

I have been contacted by ex-boyfriends on facebook and I cannot believe how old they look and they are barely over 40.

Don't know if this says more about how men age or about your taste in men from back in the day. If you date nothing but alkys, crackheads and paint huffers, sure, they are gonna age poorly.

Maybe women who relate more to younger men have some growing up to do. I have found that older men have a lot to teach me and I enjooy hanging out with them more than I do people my own age sometimes. I always hear men a decade older than me tell me they wish they were as wise as me when they my age.

Hmm, well maybe the men in their late 30's to mid 40's who are in good shape and having fun.

A) Look good enough you think they're actually younger.

B) Are married or otherwise in relationships.

C) Are busy checking out the women in their late 20's early 30's.

• Author
Don't know if this says more about how men age or about your taste in men from back in the day. If you date nothing but alkys, crackheads and paint huffers, sure, they are gonna age poorly.

No these are normal decent men not alchys.

You suck as a detective! :laugh:

Edited by Twenty-ten
Do I lie and tell them they look good when they clearly don't? What do you say to someone who looks old and unattractive?

If they're ex'es, why say anything? Accept that they've aged in a way you find unattractive and move on. If they've complimented you on your appearance, reply with a thank you, that's nice of you to say. No need to make a similar observation one way or another.

Aging is as varied as the billions of people on earth. We're all different, both genetically and in our habits and lifestyles. The journey is over so quickly that, IMO, dwelling on such things takes time and energy away from loving and giving and sharing happiness. I've noticed that happiness never gets old, no matter what image is returned in the mirror. :)

• Author
Maybe women who relate more to younger men have some growing up to do. I have found that older men have a lot to teach me and I enjooy hanging out with them more than I do people my own age sometimes. I always hear men a decade older than me tell me they wish they were as wise as me when they my age.

Sure you do have a point there. Or maybe women who relate more to guys with a more youthful and fun attitude just like fun guys better and don't want to be tied down to a grandpa at 40. I know I don't want that when I am 40. Would you want that as a guy? Would you want a woman who is 40 but looks and acts like she is a grandma?

• Author
If they're ex'es, why say anything? Accept that they've aged in a way you find unattractive and move on. If they've complimented you on your appearance, reply with a thank you, that's nice of you to say. No need to make a similar observation one way or another.

Aging is as varied as the billions of people on earth. We're all different, both genetically and in our habits and lifestyles. The journey is over so quickly that, IMO, dwelling on such things takes time and energy away from loving and giving and sharing happiness. I've noticed that happiness never gets old, no matter what image is returned in the mirror. :)

But I am not looking to love or give anything to these men other than a decent compliment back, they are in relationships so am I. But I find myself struggling to be forthright because it is a blatant lie. So what do you say when a person insists on sending you more pictures of themselves and they reminisce about the past and then fish for comments/compliments? I just don't know what to say...without coming across cold. I wish I could return the compliments and can't.

No these are normal decent men not alchys.

You suck as a detective! :laugh:

Not detective work at all really, just figured that if they had to deal with the attitude you display in this thread, they may have been driven to drink, smoke crack or huff paint.

• Author
Not detective work at all really, just figured that if they had to deal with the attitude you display in this thread, they may have been driven to drink, smoke crack or huff paint.

I figure it's time to change the depends pops, press the nurse button. :laugh:

I figure it's time to change the depends pops, press the nurse button. :laugh:

No need to press the button, she's right here under the sheets with me. Nothing like a nice 24 y.o. nurse.

Older women just can't do the same things with their mouths any more, too many frown lines.

I think a lot of it is lifestyle related. A lot of these people probably drank and smoked through high school and college, quit being active the day after their final high school athletic event, ate/eat poorly, and are under a ton of stress due to pressure at work, raising kids, and paying bills. Add on top of that potentially poor genetics being generally unhappy, hence they are boring and lack the spark they had as younger gents.

• Author
No need to press the button, she's right here under the sheets with me. Nothing like a nice 24 y.o. nurse.

Older women just can't do the same things with their mouths any more, too many frown lines.

Yep exactly what I figure! "Biizzzzzz" that's the sound of the nerve I just hit. :laugh:

Moving on....

People check your emotions at the door if you can't handle what is being said here please don't subject yourself to this topic/discussion.

• Author
I think a lot of it is lifestyle related. A lot of these people probably drank and smoked through high school and college, quit being active the day after their final high school athletic event, ate/eat poorly, and are under a ton of stress due to pressure at work, raising kids, and paying bills. Add on top of that potentially poor genetics being generally unhappy, hence they are boring and lack the spark they had as younger gents.

I agree poor genetics has a lot to do with it, but it is an overall lifestyle thing it's almost like they gave in to life, they are dying as opposed to living. I am no longer talking about my exes I am talking about men in general that let themselves go in this age group.

I have to disagree that it is due to all the party lifestyle these men look square, very square, like they forgot how to have fun...ever. The guys who were partiers and stayed out late still have that edge and look pretty good for their age, the whole package that is....Of course if you were a crack head or heroine addict you won't age gracefully. Extremes don't count we are talking normal guys.

You're right. I see party animals who aged well and do gooders who aged poorly. I'm only 24 right so this isn't an issue with my friends and me yet. I think stress is the big thing. Stress causes the body to suffer and makes people unhappy. A lot of people get stuck living lifestyles they don't want to live, especially with respect to jobs and relationships.

People check your emotions at the door if you can't handle what is being said here please don't subject yourself to this topic/discussion.

But no, there is no strawman in the bed with me and my young nursey, what made you think that? Is your eyesight as bad as your repartee?

Nice try though. I'm not going... anywhere! :D

Now, let's continue with those frown lines, and turn that frown upside down! :).

Funny how certain wrinkles look so good on men, but literally ruin a woman's face, let alone cause nasty concealer rivulets and all sorts of makeup trauma. Have been dragged along on two botox appointments by GFs in my life and the look of raw desperation on the faces of the clientele in the packed waiting room was priceless. Wait?! None of the people in the waiting room was a man? either visit? :confused: Wonder why that is?

I guess men become more and more secure in their looks in direct proportion to women becoming more and more insecure in theirs through life. Sounds -real- promising for men as we age, and well, frankly, not so promising for women. :p

Sounds like I just answered the question of the thread title, "Why do men 37 yrs and up start to look like my grandpa?"

Because we can!

skydiveaddict

I'm a very old and "feeble" looking 51 yr old who is about to go on his third tour in Afghanistan in May.

I'm a very old and "feeble" looking 51 yr old who is about to go on his third tour in Afghanistan in May.

Did the skydiving take a toll on your health?