Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

Eternal Sunshine
Half her income will be govt subsidized regardless. And moving in with another family? I'm not seeing much independence gained between the mother's helper job, and living at home seeking outside employment.

It's an intermideate step in the right direction. At least she is trying and not just bumming at home and taking money from the goverment or parents.

• Like 1

Leigh

It is a step towards independence so I do "get" that :)

What about that contract of employment? Do you have one?

Leigh

It is a step towards independence so I do "get" that :)

What about that contract of employment? Do you have one?

I'm guessing no. They probably want it to be an under the table cash in hand thing and not pay tax or have to register for an Australian Business Number etc. That could make it difficult for Leigh if they decide to stop paying her or she gets injured on the job or something. Could be sticky.

• Author

Will can certain posters stop lamenting at my lack of independence because i am not independent at an age where most adults should be.

I am not lacking in intelligence and have the marks to prove it. The reason I'm in my current predicament (no professional career) is because of mental health issues and asperges.

I don't conside myself lower quality than a professional 27 year old. I did well I school and am at uni just like the "independent professionals" once were, only difference is that I have to do it nearly ten years later.

I have dated high income earners and they didn't think less of me than they would a " financially independent" woman of my age. They could see i was simply getting my career in order later in life. I told them it was because of to frequent travel since it was none of their business that I had a serious mental illness. We only dated briefly.

Not sure why some people think less of me or feel sorry for me simply because I'm not financially independent. It's not like there are any tell tail factors that divide me from the independent folks. I fact i have traveled more than most of of my professional mates and i have better clothes and leather wallets and 100 bags. All good quality.

I have very decent friends, get dates with attractive men when I single and I have a passionate relationship with a guy who also adores me. Instra chemistry and now comfort is more than I can say for most folks around here.

Why on earth do some of these posters feel sorry for me simply because I'm not financially independent? My life is a walk in the park compared to most people.

UpwardForward

I started baby sitting when I was about 11.

No contract of employment for this type of on/off casual work, here. Not even full time - which I was for a couple of summers.

This also enables both the baby sitter and the family to treat it as temporary and to cease the agreement any time either wishes.

• Author

In fact, the man who was the most head over heels fo mme was the highest income earner and he was by far the most ambitious.

He thought I was clever and he didn't think for a second that I was more "lowly" than my independent professional female friends.

• Author
I started baby sitting when I was about 11.

No contract of employment for this type of on/off casual work, here. Not even full time - which I was for a couple of summers.

This also enables both the baby sitter and the family to treat it as temporary and to cease the agreement any time either wishes.

Can you please stop posting in my threads.

I have put you on ignore and can you please leave my threads alone and respect my wishes.

I don't find you give helpful advice and rather you talk down to me simply because i had serious issues that hindered me from being where you were at my age.

i very much like my new role and i don't need you to put a damper on it.

• Like 1
  • Author

I can't believe how much I love the new job and house.

I really hope I do a good job so I can keep this life style.

I seem to make friends easily enough and me and my therapist seem to think I have been self aware enough to identify the socially awkward or inappropriate things I do or say.

I still don't like being around people for a prolonged period but I can certainly handle eating dinner with the family and taking any instruction they give without doing or saying anything off color.

• Like 1

I know someone who had a crazy schedule and somehow managed to do it. She had a full-time job as rez fellow (helped the students who lived on her floor on residence), another part-time job on campus, and was also doing full-time classes. I don't know how she did it except that she was very motivated and dedicated. She went to sleep late and woke up early. I think she's the type who can function well on few hours of sleep. Her days were scheduled by the hour. Literally she knew ahead of time what she would be doing each hour of the day, then she stuck to it.

If you have high energy and are dedicated, I think you can do it. My only suggestion is make time for yourself so you don't go crazy. Also be willing to cut back your work hours if you find they interfere with your studies.

• Author
I know someone who had a crazy schedule and somehow managed to do it. She had a full-time job as rez fellow (helped the students who lived on her floor on residence), another part-time job on campus, and was also doing full-time classes. I don't know how she did it except that she was very motivated and dedicated. She went to sleep late and woke up early. I think she's the type who can function well on few hours of sleep. Her days were scheduled by the hour. Literally she knew ahead of time what she would be doing each hour of the day, then she stuck to it.

If you have high energy and are dedicated, I think you can do it. My only suggestion is make time for yourself so you don't go crazy. Also be willing to cut back your work hours if you find they interfere with your studies.

I have decided to only work weekends at the patisserie.

I'll stick to the nanny job during the week......it leaves me a few hours during the day to study.

• Author
Are you already living there?

Yes and II love it so far.

Only high income earners with well over 100 K per year or two partners earning at least 70 each can afford to live in Sydney.

I feel very lucky to be able to live in such an expensive area. I doubt I'll ever live this comfortably again.. Prices are only getting higher and I will likely never be multi millionaire that will be able to live in Sydney.

I start the school runs tomorrow.

My patisserie job is fine but I am only going to work weekends.

Will can certain posters stop lamenting at my lack of independence because i am not independent at an age where most adults should be.

I am not lacking in intelligence and have the marks to prove it. The reason I'm in my current predicament (no professional career) is because of mental health issues and asperges.

I don't conside myself lower quality than a professional 27 year old. I did well I school and am at uni just like the "independent professionals" once were, only difference is that I have to do it nearly ten years later.

I have dated high income earners and they didn't think less of me than they would a " financially independent" woman of my age. They could see i was simply getting my career in order later in life. I told them it was because of to frequent travel since it was none of their business that I had a serious mental illness. We only dated briefly.

Not sure why some people think less of me or feel sorry for me simply because I'm not financially independent. It's not like there are any tell tail factors that divide me from the independent folks. I fact i have traveled more than most of of my professional mates and i have better clothes and leather wallets and 100 bags. All good quality.

I have very decent friends, get dates with attractive men when I single and I have a passionate relationship with a guy who also adores me. Instra chemistry and now comfort is more than I can say for most folks around here.

Why on earth do some of these posters feel sorry for me simply because I'm not financially independent? My life is a walk in the park compared to most people.

I don't think people are feeling sorry for you. It's just you say you are independent in this new job but that is not strictly true as you will still have all household bills etc paid by other people. But it is a step towards independence. Please don't get into arguing about how you compare to others again as well. There is no need and to be honest you don't help your case when you make comments on how many bags you have.

Now for the contract of employment, the reason I have kept asking about that is because it will set out expectations and rights of both the family as employer and you as employee? It is important for you to have one so that clear lines can be drawn on what is or is not part of employment and what happens if either the family or you are not happy with how things are going. Considering you would be homeless if this job did not work out, this contract is essential no matter how nice things are at the moment.

So have you got a contract?

• Like 1

I think only au pairs get contracts as they are from another country. They come through agencies. But there are dedicated nanny agencies but these nannies always have training and certs. I used one for a week once.

• Author

There's no contract. If I do a good job they will keep me longterm. If not, they will obviously be free to get rid of me. I think I'll do a good job though.

I'm a bit annoyed I agreed to do the second job this Monday. I have come to realise that it is only worth my time to do the patisserie job on both days on the weekend.. the longer hours I am able to do on weekends is worth while and offsets the extensive travel. It is VERY out of my way to get there.

For instance. ... I cannot do weekdays at the patisserie because. ..

I drop the kids off and then have to rush to the station by 9.03. Which means getting to station by 8.50 in order to park. If I miss that train I have to catch the 9.30. Which gets me to work at 10.40 rather than 10.30.

I have to catch 3 trains and a bus to get there. It takes a hour and a bit to get to work.

Plus I will have to find parking in their car which I use to drop the kids off which is very stressful in Sydney.

It's a very tight schedule that takes up 3 hours of my time in travel perdday pretty much and i will only keep 35 dollars of it since i can only work super short 2.5 hour shifts and 15 out of the 50 dollars I earn goes towards transport.

It is, however, worth my while if I work for 4 or 6 hours on weekends.... I'd make 20 an hour so if I worked 5 hour sat and sun I would earn 100 a day... keep 85 of it per day...

I'd get 85 plus 85 plus 150 to 180 a week plus 200 go student allowance. ...

i am already employed with the patisserie and they said they would put me on when I am available.... they seemed totally ok with my hours and they are very short staffed so they need me.

I start college in a month or two, later than I thought.

So i can work at the patisserie daily until college starts I will tell them.

I can earn 35 per day plus 85 plus 85 on weekends plus the 380 ish from the nanny job and go assistance.

If there is no contract that means you can be kicked out at any given time on a moments notice.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine
If there is no contract that means you can be kicked out at any given time on a moments notice.

Eh that can also happen with the contract....

• Like 1
MidwestUSA
Eh that can also happen with the contract....

Plus, it's not like she has nothing to fall back on. I think the immediate concern is time management.

Leigh, give some more thought to the patisserie job and the time involved, or try it for couple of weeks and see how it goes. One thing I tell myself: 'I can do almost anything for a little while, but I don't have to do anything forever'. Just keep your stress level down.

• Like 3
  • Author

Oh well i have a huge flat to come back to rent free.

I don't have to worry about getting kicked on the streets.

I would simply move home and live at the flat while I looked hard for more work so I could at least work even though I would be stuck living at home.

I could afford to rent but barely. I'd have to rent a single room for 150 a week is the absolute cheapest and that is in a dump. Which would only give me 50 a week for gas and food.

Much better off living at home until I got a job. Which i could only get in retail or hospitality as they are the only ones I have a shot at getting with no skills. Those jibs aren't stable so i still wouldn't opt to rent when I could get dismissed from work at any given time.

This is why many students think it is a lot smarter to live a home and work to SAVE rather than work full ttime just to pay rent and live while barely surviving while they study.

Not sure what people have against full time students my age who don't opt to rent if we have the luxury of living at home.

• Author

YAY :)

Just got the roster.

I am ONLY working weekends from 10 until 6 pm.

I am SO happy!

I get to relax and study for hours during the week days now!

I feel so chill and stress free now!!!!

I SO excited about finally earning some money. I'll make 200 A DAY on each weekend day. OMG.

Omg omg this means the world to me.... I've been wanting to make that kind of one and do weekend hours like this for years.

SO thrilled right now.

• Like 1
  • Author

I'll be making 600 a week minimum with those week ended hours.

All I need to spend out of that is the twice a week 20 dollars worth of transportation. .. to and from work.....

I pray that this is an on going thing!!!

Lol for me this is good as unlike most people I can save nearly all of what I earn.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine
YAY :)

Just got the roster.

I am ONLY working weekends from 10 until 6 pm.

I am SO happy!

I get to relax and study for hours during the week days now!

I feel so chill and stress free now!!!!

I SO excited about finally earning some money. I'll make 200 A DAY on each weekend day. OMG.

Omg omg this means the world to me.... I've been wanting to make that kind of one and do weekend hours like this for years.

SO thrilled right now.

Isn't 8x$20=$160 per day?

I am happy for you Leigh :D

Isn't 8x$20=$160 per day?

I am happy for you Leigh :D

Weekend penalty rates? She'd make way more than 200 on a Sunday then.

Eternal Sunshine
Weekend penalty rates? She'd make way more than 200 on a Sunday then.

:laugh: it's possible. Or maybe when she said $20 she meant $20-something and she is really earning $25? :confused:

• Like 1