Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

I'm confused. Are you saying you are going to quit both of your jobs and move back to your parents' flat? I don't get it. If you could've worked 20-30 hours per week while living at your parents' flat, why didn't you do that to begin with? Why move to Sydney and take all this on? I mean...yes...working full time is exhausting and hard. Two year olds are difficult. Surely you knew that also, before accepting a job as a nanny? But millions and millions of people work 40+ hours every week. It's doable. I think you just took on too much at once. You went from 0 to 90 in a blink. You might view things differently once you settle in a bit more. It's only been a few weeks, hasn't it?

• Like 1
UpwardForward

If I remember correctly Leigh has already posted her listing of things she needs, or wishes to save for with her new income. i.e. Computer, vehicle, trip, etc.

It was an either/or. Continuing with education or taking on jobs to save toward things she needs/wants.

Glinda.Good

OMG, Leigh.

You went from "the job is great" to a big rant about how wretched it is within one day.

And you are going on and on about "studying" again, when you just told all of us that you have decided to put off school until September.

I am pretty sure you are already back at your parents house, or will be in a day or two. The interaction you described between you, the 2 year old and the mom does not sound good.

You might be feeling a bit sheepish about that. It does not mean that any one is judging you harshly for taking advantage of the opportunity to live at your parents'. You might be losing a few supporters, though, by going on and on and on about something that is really not a "thing." Which is pretty much the gist of this whole thread.

Wouldn't it be a good idea for you to try to settle down a little, in your head? I know it's hard to do that, but you are expending such a great deal of mental energy and aimless self-chatter that I feel it's interfering with you being able to make decisions and take the organized steps needed in order to get from here to where you would like to be going.

You need to rein yourself back when you are behaving as if all the things in the future (school, travel, nose job, etc.) are actually a part of your daily life. Your daily life needs to take precedence and be the main focus, while still having your goals.

If you could keep it simple, it would be good for you. For example, live at your parents' flat, GO TO SCHOOL, and work about 15 - 20 hours a week. Keep your school and work schedule at a very manageable level. I know you are smart and you can do it, but you don't have much experience with the requirements of being a student OR of working at a job, so you might be wise to take it a bit easy on yourself.

OK, enough out of me. Take care though.

• Author

I couldnt find a waiteessing or retail job in 4years of living at my flat. Event work and my patisserie job are all I have manage to get. I am not as good as waitress that can carry very heavy plates;I can carry 3 plates but not If say, there are two very very heavy meals in large heavy plates and both with one hand. I am honestly not strong enough. I have milk osteoporosis due to my anorexia of my past.

It is probably easy for most to just "get a job" while studying. I couldnt in my area so I was desperate enough to move to Sydney where there are more job at hand.

I stopped study because I knew that I didnt wish to juggle full time study with a 40 hour job that I only see 150 of a week........ so why would I opt to work 40 hours when I can live at my parents for a much lower rent? I certainly dont have to work 40 hours at my parents in order to pay rent.

I am actually not phased working 40 hours in and of itself; it is the fact that 40 hours for 150 dollars in case isnt motivating me to want work..I can get free rent at my parents albeit I will still opt to pay them a small sum.

The 6.30am start 7days a week are fine....IF I were getting more than 400 to 500 a week for it. That is what I am earning for SEVEN days a week of early starts and NEVER getting to be intimate with my boyfriend.

If I got 1000 a week like most Aussie who work 7days a week then I would have a spring in my step and I would be fine.

And why on earth would I be sheapish? I personally think I am doing a good job and I have absolutely nothing to feel bad about. She is the one who I feel need to give me a lot more credit.

My bf, for instance, has.travelled hours to see me today. Only she is not permitting him to come and say hi,see our cat and eat dinner with us (he has never been in the house since.I moved) but she doesnt want him here until the kids are in bed. Like having him there will disrupt their routine.

My own parents are a lot nicer than her so she is annoying to live with. She doesnt empathise with the fact that I no longer get to seey bf family or friends. She doesnt seem to get that I work 7 days a week and I am up at 6.30 every single day and I get no alone time with my.boyfriend to make the meagre 400 a week I save, worth it.

I think I am doing her a huge favour in living here and dropping off and then picking the kids off 5 days a week and for only 150 a week Plus the cheap two minute noodles, cans of tuna and kids cereal I live on.

She is the kids of person to get annoyed If you forget things such as two days so far I forgot to sign her 2 year old in as I took him to day care. And once, I hadnt put away the kids clothes by the time she was back from work. Like HELLO, I work SEVEN days a week from the crack of down until well into the night....... She doesnt understand that I am not used to working 7 days with no days off.

Basically, I am super nice and I never yell at people. You have to do something very wrong in order for me to yell. This lady tells me off over Tiny things. Where as my own mum didnt let small small things get to her at all.

The day to day life is comfortable and our interactions are just fine

fine. I hide how I really feel.

I will take a lot away from working from 6:30.until 8 daily including weekends as it has shown me that physically speeking, I now know I can handle a job in the future that requires hard work and long hours......I.will just reitorate, it isnt the hours that bother me

me..it.is the low pay I get for the long hours....

None of my mates work weekends. They get to see their parents and be intimate. I dont

And I am.getting 1/3 of their wage and I no longer have a life.

So I will be moving back to my flat once the husband returns from deployment. I am very motivated to focus on my studies first and work as a secondary albeit still very very important part of my life.

This lady is lucky to have me in my view. I am great with the 8 year old. The 2 year old is a little brat but he like me most of the time. For 150 dollars a week she is getting A LOT from me. She owns a few house and could easily pay me more for 40 hours work per week.

hings like that annoyed her where as I am a lot nicer than her and I

Huh. Well, at least you have learnt something from this experience... namely how working isn't all hearts and roses and 'being part of the family'.

My heartfelt advice: If you DO quit and go back to your parents, just start studying full time ASAP. And stick with it. Don't come up with 1001 other things that you want to do. Basics first. That should be the most important goal for you right now since you have no qualifications. It will be much easier for you to get a job after that if you choose your field wisely and take up internships in the final year.

• Like 7
  • Author
Huh. Well, at least you have learnt something from this experience... namely how working isn't all hearts and roses and 'being part of the family'.

My heartfelt advice: If you DO quit and go back to your parents, just start studying full time ASAP. And stick with it. Don't come up with 1001 other things that you want to do. Basics first. That should be the most important goal for you right now since you have no qualifications. It will be much easier for you to get a job after that if you choose your field wisely and take up internships in the final year.

Exactly my sentiment.

Although I do have some experience in hospitality, retail and with looking after kids. All these things are viable options when I graduate and wont likely land a job asap.

My number one priority is come september, to do well enough in my degree to get into a masters programe. It is my only real hope of getting a job in this economic climate.

• Like 1
UpwardForward

Leigh, I was under the assumption from your earlier posts that the job was only that of getting the children ready in the morning and dropping them off to school/daycare - and then picking up the 8 yr old after school, then the mother and 2 yr old.

So you have no free time after the morning run, until late afternoon? Does she have you doing chores in between times?

Will her husband be returning by September?

"The 2 year old is a really brat at times. He throws a tantrum every time I try to put his clothes on in the morning. The mother say that it shoud not be that difficult to do. I pointed out that no one I know could do it unless they were qualified in child care which I am not."

You pointed out to her that you're not qualified in child care? What was her response?

• Author

I have experience with kids and there is no way a person with qualifications would accept 150 a week.

She knew I had no formal qualifications. Hence she thinks she is doing me a favour by giving me.150 a week for a lot of work.

She is not just giving you 150, she is also providing accommodation and all associated utilities. To most people that would be a huge benefit but you keep ignoring that as you can already live rent free at your parents hence don't criticise her for the amount of actual cash you receive. This was your decision.

But it does seem that the job is demanding more of you than you expected eg the care you have to take of the children in the evenings sounds more full on than just helping the mother out by being around. To be honest, the work you are doing is more what I would of expected of a live in nanny so again I think nothing unreasonable is being asked. I also don't think it unreasonable of her not to want your boyfriend round the house when the children are still up as he is a stranger to them and you are still supposed to be working.

As for the food? Tuna and noodles??? Are you not eating with the family for at least some meals? That sounds odd.

Learn from this Leigh. You jumped in too quick with too many ideas of how much you could do at once and to be honest you ignored a lot of advice here saying that more would be expected, that doing such long hours would be too much, that you would not be part of the family just like that, etc. Slow things down and think a bit more about what you are doing. Keep the pressure on yourself to a level you can manage so you are healthy, happy and able to do the things you want.

• Like 6
Endless rant....

This is basically what a lot of people were warning you about, but you kept thinking everything would be easy and it would all work together. Take it as others have said to learn from this, especially with kids. Kids are rarely ever easy or rather "predictable", are extremely demanding and such.

Also I find it quite awful that you are holding a resentment towards the mother that is not only paying you, but also providing you with a place to live, transportation for you to use for the kids and food. This was the agreement no? But now it's not what you thought, so you are taking your anger/frustration on her, putting the blame on her.

But lets be honest, the only blame is on yourself, you took the live-in nanny job (for who know's whatever reason), came to an agreement, and now you are realizing what it really is like taking care of kids full time. It is not on her to accommodate for your personal life, that falls squarely on just your shoulders. You had an agreement to watch these children, and that is what is expected of you, not a "oh watch my kid sometimes, but go have fun with your bf and not worry about them, or just have him over whenever you want", it just doesn't work like that, with any job.

Again take this as a learning lesson as others have said, and just focus on your studies. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, not on this board or in real life, it is your life. But for some reason you seem compelled to have to prove something, but honestly, no one is really going to care if you finished your degree working full time, or having been fully supported by your parents. In the end what matters is if you got the degree.

• Like 4

"My own parents are a lot nicer than her so she is annoying to live with. She doesnt empathise with the fact that I no longer get to seey bf family or friends. She doesnt seem to get that I work 7 days a week and I am up at 6.30 every single day and I get no alone time with my.boyfriend to make the meagre 400 a week I save, worth it.

I think I am doing her a huge favour in living here and dropping off and then picking the kids off 5 days a week and for only 150 a week Plus the cheap two minute noodles, cans of tuna and kids cereal I live on.

She is the kids of person to get annoyed If you forget things such as two days so far I forgot to sign her 2 year old in as I took him to day care. And once, I hadnt put away the kids clothes by the time she was back from work. Like HELLO, I work SEVEN days a week from the crack of down until well into the night....... She doesnt understand that I am not used to working 7 days with no days off. "

She doesn't empathize with you working seven days a week because as far as she's concerned, you have the weekends off. Remember, it was totally your decision to take another job on the weekends. That could/should be your time out of the house to go meet your boyfriend or whatever. It's not on her to 'understand' that you're not used to working. Everyone here told you you were taking on too much.

'I think I'm doing her a huge favour', 'She is annoying to live with'. With this attitude, you're not going to last long.

What did the contract specify about visiting time on her premises with the boyfriend? Didn't you know all these 'annoying' little things going in? As for food, it doesn't take much money to eat properly, if she's not feeding you (one more thing that should have been specified in the contact). You're quite lucky she let you bring a cat. ?

• Like 4
"My own parents are a lot nicer than her so she is annoying to live with. She doesnt empathise with the fact that I no longer get to seey bf family or friends. She doesnt seem to get that I work 7 days a week and I am up at 6.30 every single day and I get no alone time with my.boyfriend to make the meagre 400 a week I save, worth it.

She is the kids of person to get annoyed If you forget things such as two days so far I forgot to sign her 2 year old in as I took him to day care. And once, I hadnt put away the kids clothes by the time she was back from work. Like HELLO, I work SEVEN days a week from the crack of down until well into the night....... She doesnt understand that I am not used to working 7 days with no days off. "

She doesn't empathize with you working seven days a week because as far as she's concerned, you have the weekends off. Remember, it was totally your decision to take another job on the weekends. That could/should be your time out of the house to go meet your boyfriend or whatever. It's not on her to 'understand' that you're not used to working. Everyone here told you you were taking on too much.

'I think I'm doing her a huge favour', 'She is annoying to live with'. With this attitude, you're not going to last long.

What did the contract specify about visiting time on her premises with the boyfriend? Didn't you know all these 'annoying' little things going in? As for food, it doesn't take much money to eat properly, if she's not feeding you (one more thing that should have been specified in the contact). You're quite lucky she let you bring a cat. ��

Yeah... sorry, Leigh, but your employer sounds about on par with most employers (and better than the bad ones, which are pretty abundant). You most certainly cannot compare your employer's treatment of you to your parents... :eek: You are their employee, not their daughter!

Employers only care about the results you can give them or their company - that is normal. Your personal life and how often you are able to be intimate with your bf isn't really their concern. This is why people put so much emphasis on gaining experience and qualifications. The more valuable you are, the better you will be treated in general. It's also why some people sacrifice a lot to be able to be self-employed... but I digress.

• Like 3

I think this has been a great learning experience for you.

It's funny how just two weeks ago you were eagerly counting up all the money you were going to save and talking excitedly about the nice lady and nice family you were going to be living with and how wonderful everything was going to be.

This despite a lot of warnings from people in this very thread about some of the difficulties you are now facing. I asked you specifically what the situation was going to be with your boyfriend, whether he would be able to visit, stay the night, etc. You just assumed it wouldn't be a problem. Obviously it was. This is exactly why you were encouraged to get a written contract and understanding of your role in the household. You need to stop comparing your employer to your parents; she isn't your mom.

I stopped study because I knew that I didnt wish to juggle full time study with a 40 hour job that I only see 150 of a week........ so why would I opt to work 40 hours when I can live at my parents for a much lower rent? I certainly dont have to work 40 hours at my parents in order to pay rent.

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't understand why you did all this in the first place.

I am actually not phased working 40 hours in and of itself; it is the fact that 40 hours for 150 dollars in case isnt motivating me to want work..I can get free rent at my parents albeit I will still opt to pay them a small sum.

You agreed to work 40 hours for $150 a week, though, and until you started working you seemed to think it was enough. I don't really understand the animosity toward the family when you accepted their offer. And, as has been pointed out to you (and calculated above in the thread), you are getting far more than $150 a week. You are are also getting rent, utilities, and food.

The 6.30am start 7days a week are fine....IF I were getting more than 400 to 500 a week for it. That is what I am earning for SEVEN days a week of early starts and NEVER getting to be intimate with my boyfriend.

It seems like you didn't think this through. People above in the thread mentioned all this and you ignored it.

My bf, for instance, has.travelled hours to see me today. Only she is not permitting him to come and say hi,see our cat and eat dinner with us (he has never been in the house since.I moved) but she doesnt want him here until the kids are in bed. Like having him there will disrupt their routine.

Her house, her rules. You aren't a family member, but an employee. It is perfectly within her right to decide who gets to visit. This is definitely something you should have discussed with her prior to taking the job.

My own parents are a lot nicer than her so she is annoying to live with.

She's your employer, not your parents. I don't see why you are even comparing her to your parents. You are not part of her family. I certainly don't expect my boss to treat me like my dad would treat me.

She doesnt empathise with the fact that I no longer get to seey bf family or friends.

Why would she? You are an adult who agreed to take the job with your eyes open.

She doesnt seem to get that I work 7 days a week and I am up at 6.30 every single day and I get no alone time with my.boyfriend to make the meagre 400 a week I save, worth it.

You only work for her 5 days a week, though. It's your choice to work the other two days a week. That's not her problem. It's your own fault that you don't have alone time with your boyfriend.

I'm not sure you understand the employer/employee relationship. Your responsibility is to perform your duties. Her responsibility is to pay you. That's it.

You think you are doing her a favor? :confused: This is just really bizarre, Leigh. You agreed to work for 150 a week (plus rent, utilities, and food), so I'm not sure why she is at fault here.

She is the kids of person to get annoyed If you forget things such as two days so far I forgot to sign her 2 year old in as I took him to day care.

You've been working there two or three weeks and already forgot to sign the kid in twice? I don't blame her for being annoyed. If your job is to sign the kid in to daycare, you can't be shocked that she is upset when you fail to do that.

And once, I hadnt put away the kids clothes by the time she was back from work.

What were you doing all day that you couldn't get this done? Again, if your job includes putting the clothes away, you can't be surprised that she is upset when you fail to do that. My boss would get upset with me also if I failed to do my job. That's the way it works.

Like HELLO, I work SEVEN days a week from the crack of down until well into the night....... She doesnt understand that I am not used to working 7 days with no days off.

It's not her problem. People warned you repeatedly about taking on too much, and you ignored it, while eagerly counting up all the money. You've now found out the hard way that it is difficult to work that kind of schedule.

Perhaps you should quit the patisserie job?

Basically, I am super nice and I never yell at people. You have to do something very wrong in order for me to yell. This lady tells me off over Tiny things. Where as my own mum didnt let small small things get to her at all.

Again, she is your boss, not your mom. Stop comparing her to your mom. You are not a child. You are 27 years old. And yes, if you aren't doing your job, she is going to get upset with you.

None of my mates work weekends. They get to see their parents and be intimate. I dont And I am.getting 1/3 of their wage and I no longer have a life.

But again, this has all been your choice. And you didn't seem to have a problem with the wages before you started having to actually do the work. You added it all up numerous times in this thread.

This lady is lucky to have me in my view. I am great with the 8 year old. The 2 year old is a little brat but he like me most of the time. For 150 dollars a week she is getting A LOT from me. She owns a few house and could easily pay me more for 40 hours work per week.

What she could pay and what you agreed to be paid are two entirely different things. Are you actually working 40 hours a week for her? I thought you said it was just dropping the kids off in the morning, doing some light housework, and picking them up from school. Has that changed?

At any rate, I do think you should focus on getting your degree. You should be able to get a new laptop within the next few weeks with the pay you are getting.

• Like 7

Wow, clia, I don't have any words. Excellent dissection and analysis! I barely scratched the surface. :o

Leigh, realize there are employers in the corporate world who are going to be a lot more hard nosed than this easily annoyed lady. None of them will be as nice as your mum.

• Author

Truly generous and kind people do care If you dont get to ever see your friends and family.

And I do work 40 Plus hours a week for her at a low wage which means I could be earning twice as much living at my parents. At 27 I need to think about saving every penny and also deligating enough study time.

Right now I work wayyy more than I have to. At my parents, I wouldnt have to work 40 hours a week, and since I wouldnt pay much rent (they do not want to make a prostitute from My staying there, they would rather me just compensate and cover what I do use in the way of utilities)

Better still, I could earn more at my parents because wouldnt have to work 40 hours for rent and food, and would earn more working 20 hours at a cafe than I earn working 40 hours where I currently reside.

I have a brain and my most pressing issue is getting the qualifications to become employed. I dont want to work 40 hours for meagre 150 to 200 dollar a week room, very cheap food worth 50 a week, and the additional 150. Trust me I am only getting 300 to 450 a weeks tops for 40 hours.

I actually work 45 to 50 hours for her now that I have calculated the hours propperly.

My friends who work these save hours and are on minumum wage get twice as much as me. Working minumum wage 20dollar an hour jobs.

Me and my parents are a lot kinder as people than my employer. We are more generous. We dont stood people or get irritable when people make mistakes (when they mostly do everything right). Which also adds weight to my decision to want to leave.

Everyone needs to see their friends and family. My friends all get to be intimate with their parents once a week usual a lot more. I dont have to tolerate sex once a month with my.boyfriend. I have a flat I am very welcome in.

All in all, I will be a lot better off at home. I can work a lot less yet get more money since most of my pay wont go to rent and etc.... And I will still strive to be as adult as possible by working and studying towards a propper career. I will be no means mooching or bumming around.....I will work as well as study.

I just prefer to be around very kind people who dont yell or get easily annoyed. It annoyed me.because there are genuinly people with real problems such as poverty, concerned and true hardships.....and yet my employer get annoyed that I forgot something simply, something I normally get right?? Sure I would let an Employee go if they proved to be incompetent. I would, however, give them a few weeks to settling in. Bare in mind I am away from all My friends and family, all of the time, and I am up at 6.30 every morning. I drop the kids off and pick them up on time every day without fail. I am not used to working closely to 50 hours a week. I am not going to get everything right immediately...this is not a corporate job where 60 or even 600 applicants are lining up for the job If I fail to excell immediately. I dont think I am doing a bad job and I think I am doing a lot for this lady.

She is wealthy and owns several properties. Her husband is rich too. They own the house and have no need to pay me a meagre 150 a week for nearly 50 hours of work. They are not very out of pocket due to my using their shower once a day and the 50 dollars of extremely cheap food she buys for me.

Sorry but I do happy to think less of wealthy people who opt to pay the person looking after children full time a meagre 150 a week. I would use less than 50 dollars a week in utilities as I shower once a day. They also dont spend more than 50 a week of my food. I would.say they spend a lot less than 50, I have even had to go ahead and buy my own food every secondary or there day.

Their family value are very different to that of my families...my parents have far less than them yet are 100 times more generous and kind.

I am doing okay and it does feel nice to work the usual 50 hours that all normal adults work but I am honestly getting less than hall what they get on minumum wage. Minumum wage folks get 800 Plus a week for 50 hours. I am getting hall that! I am well spoken, reliable and punctual and I desert more than HALF of what minumum wage folks get for the same about of hours worked.

• Author
Wow, clia, I don't have any words. Excellent dissection and analysis! I barely scratched the surface. :o

Leigh, realize there are employers in the corporate world who are going to be a lot more hard nosed than this easily annoyed lady. None of them will be as nice as your mum.

But I dont have to live with them.

And they would be paying me minumum wage. This family is rich yet pay me less than HALF of minumum wage.

I have one shower a day and never leave lights on..in fact, they ALWAYS unecessarily leave lights on that I turn off!

But I dont have to live with them.

And they would be paying me minumum wage. This family is rich yet pay me less than HALF of minumum wage.

I have one shower a day and never leave lights on..in fact, they ALWAYS unecessarily leave lights on that I turn off!

They didn't get rich by sharing the spoils they have with everyone else just because you think they should. Bottom line is, you signed a contract and agreed to work for them at that price.

You're making it sound like just because they have money, they should be giving it to you. If you 'think less' of wealthy people who opt not to share the money they earn with you, why on earth did you sign on with them? You saw their digs, you knew your schedule, your pay, and the house rules. If you weren't happy with the deal, you shouldn't have taken it.

Two weeks ago, you were carrying on about the beautiful three story mansion you were going to live in. You approached this more as if you'd simply be a member of the family, drop the kids off, pick the kids up, and have the rest of the time to study. We all asked if you were clear on dinner time responsibilities, the kids homework, and their bedtime routine. You saw a fairy tale, not a job.

As for your money calculations, you're still not taking room and board into account.

What is mom's reaction to your entitlement attitude?

Edited by MidwestUSA
  • Like 2
  • Author
They didn't get rich by sharing the spoils they have with everyone else just because you think they should. Bottom line is, you signed a contract and agreed to work for them at that price.

You're making it sound like just because they have money, they should be giving it to you. If you 'think less' of wealthy people who opt not to share the money they earn with you, why on earth did you sign on with them? You saw their digs, you knew your schedule, your pay, and the house rules. If you weren't happy with the deal, you shouldn't have taken it.

Two weeks ago, you were carrying on about the beautiful three story mansion you were going to live in. You approached this more as if you'd simply be a member of the family, drop the kids off, pick the kids up, and have the rest of the time to study. We all asked if you were clear on dinner time responsibilities, the kids homework, and their bedtime routine. You saw a fairy tale, not a job.

As for your money calculations, you're still not taking room and board into account.

What is mom's reaction to your entitlement attitude?

I am not entitled.

I simply want a minumum wage.

I am getting well bellow the Aussie minumum wage.I would be on 800 a week If I was getting the minumum wage.

I am not at all entitled for not thinking that I am getting enough for the about of work I do.

I am not asking for them to share their money. I think Its disgusting that they are paying me so little when they can clearly afford to pay me the Aussie minumum wage but refuse to.

• Author

They spend 50 dollars probably a lot less on food for me. I eat one normal meal with the family at dinner and I live on kids cereal or toast for breakfast. During the day there are only kids snacks and two minute noodles..she get maybe four cans of tuna a week for me and one 200 calorie dip and thinks it is enough to last me a week.

Having a room in a 3 story house Plus 50 dollars or less of food Plus 150 a week is A LOT less than what a full time minumum wage worker get for the same about of work.

I am worth the Aussie minumum wage. Wait staff on the minumum Aussie wage get at least 800 a week for 45 to 50 hours work. I am NOT getting the equivalent of 45 hours at the Aussie minumum wage rate..

I am so NOT entitled for wanting the minumum Aussie wage.

I have one shower a day. I live on two minute noodles and occasional tuna Plus kids cereal and a normal albeit cheap family dinner..I have a small room with a Tv. Plus I get 150 on top of that all. That IS NOT 800 a week worth.......... Which is what other people on Aussie minumum wage are getting.

Renting a small room as your only place to relax in when you are not working is not hundreds a week....even in nice house, Renting a room isnt hundreds a week....Its 200 to 250 tops to rent a meagre room... Plus I am getting 150. Plus likely 40 a week on food and 10 dollars worth of hot water a week. I have one shower a day.........

I am definately getting a lot less than minumum wage.

I simply want the minumum Aussie wage.

It sounds like you are not going to last long in this household with the level of resentment in your posts. How much notice do you have to give before leaving?Check your contract carefully. As you said, these people have money and have the resources to sue you for breaching your contract if you just suddenly up and leave because you've had enough.

I have to agree with the others that you have been fairly naive with your approach to the whole situation, but you live and LEARN! As Elswyth said a few posts back- BASICS FIRST. Good Luck.

I am not entitled.

I simply want a minumum wage.

I am getting well bellow the Aussie minumum wage.I would be on 800 a week If I was getting the minumum wage.

I am not at all entitled for not thinking that I am getting enough for the about of work I do.

I am not asking for them to share their money. I think Its disgusting that they are paying me so little when they can clearly afford to pay me the Aussie minumum wage but refuse to.

What would it cost you to rent a room in a house like theirs? You're really not grasping this at all. Do you understand how business transactions work?

What would it cost you to rent a room in a house like theirs?

If I recall correctly it's in a "very nice", well located area in Sydney. This would be $$$$!