Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

sweetjasmine

I find it disgusting when wealthy people pay their employees less than the Bare minumum national wage. When they can very well afford to pay their full time care of their children a minimum wage.

How many hours did you originally think you were going to work? 20? And you knew before you accepted the position that you were going to be paid $150/week. Even if you were working only 20 hours, they'd still be paying you less than the minimum wage.

YOU KNEW ALL THIS but accepted the position anyway. If you honestly found it disgusting before you moved, why did you still do it? Whether they can afford it really isn't relevant to the question of why on earth you accepted this position when it was pretty clear what you were getting yourself into from day one.

• Like 3

Why on earth should somebody pay You more because they can afford to? Your argument should be based on your worth as an employee not on your own perceived self-worth.

• Like 2
  • Author

I am going into a career based on case work.... There are well paid jobs within a man organisation here that deals with children and families..

I graduate in 2.5 years. IF I have experience with kids and a good reference it will look good on a cv where I am going for jobs that involuntary case work with families. And eventually the well paid organisation that primarily deals with children and their families.

I enjoy my job I am just not used to working full time. I never have before. I just feel that based on the work I do it doesnt FEEL like they are paying me enough.

I have decided to make the best out of my situation.

I do save more working full time. I can do well and get a glowing reference if I try my best and do well with the children.

I will not work a second job albeit I do get event work occasionally once a month and I will getbthe occasional weekend shift at the patisserie (which is reducing everyone hours and Inwill now have most weekends off and only work every second saturday)

I am now in a position to study full time and still have plenty of time to study.....during the day for 5 hours and on weekends now that I will have most of them free.

I still dont like wealthy people who are right ass. I think lower of them as people. I admire and respect generous people. Always have and always will. That is my gripe with my job.....the pay me under minumum wage when they can very well afford to give me the Bare minumum.

I like the 8 year old a lot. I hate most toddlers in general but he is fine half the time.

• Author
Why on earth should somebody pay You more because they can afford to? Your argument should be based on your worth as an employee not on your own perceived self-worth.

I think Im worth the Aussie minumum wage.

I have been an English tutor for kids that then went on to improve their grades at school. Their parents thanked me and bought me presents for improving their English grades.

The 8 year old has learning disabilities and very well needs English tutoring. So I was well suited to the position of taking care of him.

I also am well spoken as well as any white collar proffessional (I did well in school and was bought up in an affluent family who were all proffessionals) and I feel I am a good influence since I dont swear or engage in getting drunk or partying.

I am worth the minumum wage.

Waitress who swear and talk like bogans get minumum wage.one girl I knew was a today.gutter month and...... Totallly undesirable person yet earned above minumum wage.

I am just as competent as many people who earn the Aussie minumum wage.

I am saving hundreds a week and now I will have plenty of time to study which is the MOST important thing in my life come september. When I was working weekends for long hours u didnt have the energy to study. Now I have weekends mostly free and I am still saving hundreds a week I will be fine event bellow the minumum Aussie wage.

I save a lot because I am good with money and dont spend it.

• Author

I needed to vent because ive been working 7 days a week, I have not seem my friends or family and I get down a lot because I wish I had finished a degree by now and my mates with degrees with the same level of intelligence as me work far less hours and get more money and all get to see their friends and family.

I am no longer working weekends. I no longer have to get up at 6.30 seven days a week.

Trust me you get very upset working from 6.30 seven days a week and going without your friends and family. Which could have all been avoided if they paid me minumum Aussie wage of 617 a week ( I wouldnt have needed a second job).

I will be fine now that I wont be working weekends since the patisserie has cut everyones hours in half or more.

I will still save 200plus a week. I will still have time to study enough to do well.

I needed to vent and I generally detest rich folks who pay their staff less than minumum wage.

UpwardForward

Fortunate for you, you have a flat to return to Leigh. And thanks to your parents for having it for you.

Probably it's just a learning experience.

A destitute person with no roof over their head, could benefit because of shelter with wages.

Imo, you're not out much, but time. Save your wages from both jobs and know there is an end.

• Like 1
Fortunate for you, you have a flat to return to Leigh. And thanks to your parents for having it for you.

Probably it's just a learning experience.

A destitute person with no roof over their head, could benefit because of shelter with wages.

Imo, you're not out much, but time. Save your wages from both jobs and know there is an end.

Very nicely, and gently put.

Leigh, all this detesting, and talk of annoying and disgusting, has to stop. They are people doing what they need to to have their children taken care of.

I work in the homes of others. It's no picnic for the family either, having a total stranger in their home. And, these people are sending their most precious cargo off with you in the morning, every day! That's nerve wracking.

Had they felt comfortable hiring a homeless person off the street, they would have gotten more gratitude - for a roof overhead, a bed, food. Instead, they chose someone who walked away from a cushy life, thinking she'd just cruise thru the simple task of taking care of two kids (hahahaha) and use their house as a study pad.

So, when you have that degree in 2.5 years (wait, you haven't started yet?) and are entertaining multiple offers from high powered corporate machines (for mega dollars, because they got where they are by being super generous with newcomers!) you'll look back on this with fondness.

Realize that if you 'vent' on any other job the way you do here, you'll be seen as an entitled, spoiled brat by them as well. The waitress who talks like a sailor probably gets the job done. High level execs might actually get drunk and party (gasp!). You seem to have a very narrow view of what constitutes worthiness in the big world. It takes all kinds; your parents did you no favor raising you in a bubble.

• Like 6
Very nicely, and gently put.

Leigh, all this detesting, and talk of annoying and disgusting, has to stop. They are people doing what they need to to have their children taken care of.

I work in the homes of others. It's no picnic for the family either, having a total stranger in their home. And, these people are sending their most precious cargo off with you in the morning, every day! That's nerve wracking.

Had they felt comfortable hiring a homeless person off the street, they would have gotten more gratitude - for a roof overhead, a bed, food. Instead, they chose someone who walked away from a cushy life, thinking she'd just cruise thru the simple task of taking care of two kids (hahahaha) and use their house as a study pad.

So, when you have that degree in 2.5 years (wait, you haven't started yet?) and are entertaining multiple offers from high powered corporate machines (for mega dollars, because they got where they are by being super generous with newcomers!) you'll look back on this with fondness.

Realize that if you 'vent' on any other job the way you do here, you'll be seen as an entitled, spoiled brat by them as well. The waitress who talks like a sailor probably gets the job done. High level execs might actually get drunk and party (gasp!). You seem to have a very narrow view of what constitutes worthiness in the big world. It takes all kinds; your parents did you no favor raising you in a bubble.

This right here, perfectly said. Your grasp on how "work" should be is so off base.

You keep saying you make less than minimum wage, and guess what has been said to you so many times YOU AGREED TO TAKING THE JOB, KNOWING THE PAY

"but I make less than min wage..."

AGAIN YOU AGREED TO IT

"but they are wealthy..."

IT DOESN'T MATTER, YOU AGREED TO IT

It is not their fault for the pay you are getting, they didn't con you, they are not "evil wealthy people taking advantage of someone", you agreed to this knowing full well what it entailed.

And again, it isn't just 150 dollars of untaxed dollars a week you are getting, but also room and board. The fact is you are not valuing the room and board because you had it much better with your parents, while others would see it as a huge value. And if I'm not mistaken, where you are is a very expensive location in Sydney, but you just want to dismiss that with your constant "I'm not getting min wage"

Try this instead and maybe you'll realize how out of place you are right now with this job. Go try to find a nanny job that provides room and board, in that location, with food, to take care of kids, and also pays the min wage, with needing very little experience. Let me know how that search goes.

• Like 8
  • Author

I wasnt raised in a bubble. I lived overseas and have met and spend time with people from all walks of life. I have friends of every socio economic background.

I know very well I am lucky to have the basics and also be saving.

I simply believe a wealthy family should be paying me minumum wage. Or the equivalent of 617 per week.

I have spoken to people about their life style when I was in Russia, Europe, America and of course, within Australia where I have been to nearly every state. I KNOW how a multitude of people with diverse back grounds and up bringing live.

I got looked after because I had anorexia which set off a serious mental illness And I also have asberges which made it harder for me to function. Now I have friends and I have worked so hard to reach a point in life where I am relatively normal ( I make friends easily and interviwers have told my old employment agency that I interviwers very well)

I do know that most people who went through what I did have no parental help. I realize I am more fortunate than most. However I do not think it is some mean feet that I fell Ill and now my parents are helping me catch up to my peers.

I actually have a very stable life plan and me and my partner will do more than okay.

I am doing well in life. I work and save a lot. I simply feel I am worth minimum wage.

• Author
This right here, perfectly said. Your grasp on how "work" should be is so off base.

You keep saying you make less than minimum wage, and guess what has been said to you so many times YOU AGREED TO TAKING THE JOB, KNOWING THE PAY

"but I make less than min wage..."

AGAIN YOU AGREED TO IT

"but they are wealthy..."

IT DOESN'T MATTER, YOU AGREED TO IT

It is not their fault for the pay you are getting, they didn't con you, they are not "evil wealthy people taking advantage of someone", you agreed to this knowing full well what it entailed.

And again, it isn't just 150 dollars of untaxed dollars a week you are getting, but also room and board. The fact is you are not valuing the room and board because you had it much better with your parents, while others would see it as a huge value. And if I'm not mistaken, where you are is a very expensive location in Sydney, but you just want to dismiss that with your constant "I'm not getting min wage"

Try this instead and maybe you'll realize how out of place you are right now with this job. Go try to find a nanny job that provides room and board, in that location, with food, to take care of kids, and also pays the min wage, with needing very little experience. Let me know how that search goes.

I have experience. I have been the tutor of children and gotten proven results. I currently look after a boy who needs a lot of extra help with his reading.

And it shoudnt be a rate occurance for affluent families to pay a full time nanny the equivalent of the Aussie minumum wage.

I am getting slightly bellow minumum wage.

I dont see why I shoudnt be paid the equivalent of Aussie minumum wage.

• Author

I dont see what everyones issue is.

I am an extremely kind and decent person. I simply feel I deserve the equivalent to minumum wage. That is all.

I am from a family that would pay an employee minumum wage.

I certainly wouldnt pay bellow minumum wage to a full time nanny of my children if I was very financially secure and comfortable.

I dont see why people think it such a big deal that I want minumum wage?

Everyone in Australia who knows of my situation thinks I should be earning minumum wage and that what I am getting equates to less than minumum wage.

Is there any reason why a wealthy family wouldnt opt to pay their full time nanny minumum wage? It is because they are not generous or kind. IF they were as decent as my own parents, they would pay the minumum wage to their employees.

I think generosity says a lot about your character.

I personally give hundreds a year to charities. I give 15 a month to 3 different charities.

This family definately dont do much in the way of altruism. They think everyone can help themselves.

It is just my own personal opinion that people like me and my parents are more generous and kind than all of the wealthy families who dont pay nannys minumum wages..

You can all go ahead and.believe that perfectly generous and lovely people pay their staff less than minumum wage when they can well afford to pay bloody minumum wage. I think there is a direct correlation between generosity and kindness.

sweetjasmine
I simply believe a wealthy family should be paying me minumum wage.

I believe any employer should pay any employee minimum wage (or provide additional compensation to make up for a lower wage), but that's irrelevant. You KNEW before you took the job that you weren't going to be paid minimum wage and took it anyway. It's absurd to complain about it now.

• Like 2
MuddyFootprints
I have experience. I have been the tutor of children and gotten proven results. I currently look after a boy who needs a lot of extra help with his reading.

And it shoudnt be a rate occurance for affluent families to pay a full time nanny the equivalent of the Aussie minumum wage.

I am getting slightly bellow minumum wage.

I dont see why I shoudnt be paid the equivalent of Aussie minumum wage.

You are also taking care of a spirited toddler who cannot communicate at the level of an eight year old. If you genuinely hate toddlers and this phase, I have to strongly suggest that you reconsider your career path. I understand your frustration. Realistically, though, the field you are choosing will require someone who is willing to go over and beyond a forty hour work week and quite likely salaried. I envision a 60 hour work week and being able to understand very young children and families with problems that will require very delicate handling.

I sincerely hope you are following your true path.

• Author
I believe any employer should pay any employee minimum wage (or provide additional compensation to make up for a lower wage), but that's irrelevant. You KNEW before you took the job that you weren't going to be paid minimum wage and took it anyway. It's absurd to complain about it now.

I hate stingy people.

I am free to vent.

I get government assistance that brings me to minumum wage. So I actually do get the equivalent to Aussie minumum wage.

I get 450 dollars worth from nanny family.

I get 200 from the government which actually brings my earning equivalent up to minumum wage.

I am ranting about stingy people. That is it.

I amcactually saving a lot and will have decent savings at the end of my degree and until I get a proffessional job.

I am very much focusing on my upcoming studies. Less than three years and I can get a proffessional job and find out if I did well.enough to get a masters.

I dont want to rent anymore. It is clear that most people think Im entitled for wanting minumum wage from an employer so that I can get off.government assistance.

I am over my rant and there is no need for more advice to stop being entitled or telling me that I am ignorant; I dont listen as I think Im a lovely kind woman as I am and I have been around many countries and I know very well How numerous families from all walks of life function. I know I am doing better than most hence why I give to charities since the people who need them face genuine hardships.

I dont need more advice. I have worked a bit and I have plenty of time study now that I have most weekends off bar the old saturday or Sunday at my patisserie job. I never need to work both Sat and Sunday again thankfully.

Case closed. I am saving and doing fine thanks, I have most weekends and 5 hours a day in which to study.

I actually think most people are not that nice and most families only care about themselves and dont give a second thought to destitute or disadvantaged. I on the other hand am aspiring to a masters in social work because I think about the homeless every dayband want to dedicate my life helping them.

I hide my distaste towards people on a daily basis. Its not a big deal. Most people arent as generous or kind as my parents or I and I shoudnt expect them to be.

So yeah I am right for advice thanks I dont need to hear all about why rich folks are fine people who they dont pay minimum wage to employees.

I have a fundamental different viewpoint which I draw from which is in contrast to most of you folks.

My partner and I talk and the two of us both strongly agreed that we would provide the equivalent to minumum wage if we were in the fortunate position of being able to hire a nanny

Different people have different value. I am with a partner who shares my value and that all that I should concern myself with.

• Author
You are also taking care of a spirited toddler who cannot communicate at the level of an eight year old. If you genuinely hate toddlers and this phase, I have to strongly suggest that you reconsider your career path. I understand your frustration. Realistically, though, the field you are choosing will require someone who is willing to go over and beyond a forty hour work week and quite likely salaried. I envision a 60 hour work week and being able to understand very young children and families with problems that will require very delicate handling.

I sincerely hope you are following your true path.

My passion is to get a masters in social work so I can work with the homeless.

Although there is a well paid organisation that deals with kids and their families that in the field of social work that this family could possibly give me a glowing reference for.

But helping the homeless via way of a masters in social work is my biggest passion. Because I saw armless and leggless homeless men on the streets because my parents wanted to show me how lucky I was. They took me around south east Asia at a young age.

Right now study advice is all I am after.

Cheers.

I fully expect to work 60 hour weeks like everyone else in my future career.

I will be darn thrilled about finishing a degree and getting employment quiet frankly, I will be very bloody lucky to have earned a degree and gotten a full time job So I would never dream of complaining about the hours!

I will be very lucky to get a full time job one day on the standard 40 K a year that a new graduate gets as a case worker in Australia.

I am over my rant and there is no need for more advice to stop being entitled or telling me that I am ignorant;

I dont need more advice.

Case closed.

As such, thread closed so it doesn't go downhill from here.

Thanks everyone for their participation, it looks like there are many nuggets of wisdom in these posts for the thread starter to read.

• Like 2