Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

In aus, Gov assistance is designed to help adults become independent. You buy the things you need until you find enough work to support yourself entirely devoid of the Gov help. .....

I don't understand how being dependent makes you independent.

• Like 1

It helps people get on their feet which they might not be able to without the assistance. Current government will probably get rid of support in general soon though

• Like 1
It helps people get on their feet which they might not be able to without the assistance.

I don't know if I'm jaded or not, but here in america, government assistance does exactly the opposite. Makes you dependent, lazy, unmotivated, and entitled.

• Like 1
  • Author
I don't know if I'm jaded or not, but here in america, government assistance does exactly the opposite. Makes you dependent, lazy, unmotivated, and entitled.

Oh really.

Then what about the people who want to work and earn their food and shelter yet can't ?

And I don't have work. I have a huge flat to go live at. I can wait until I get a degree and a job of I want.

Instead, I have 3 jobs: nanny for 5 days one week and 6 days eevery second week. Weekend job at the patisserie for 7 hours each sat and Sunday. Event work service drinks at events once a month or so on a Sunday or sat for a few hours.

I work as a full time nanny to pay for rent and food. I don't get to live in a nice place in a nice suburb in the heart of Sydney for free you know.

I have even opted to start my degree in September purely because I want to drop government assistance and earn 100% My own way.

I am up at 7 am to get kids ready. Drive them to school. Have the day alone and then pick then up at 15.00 yet have to leave here at 14.30...... I then hang out with them until 8 pm when they are in bed.

I work THOSE hours every week day PLUS I am to work both sat and sun.

I am STILL opting to find work for 2 shifts a week at a local cafe or restaurant up the stree I reside in. In between the times I drop off kids and pick them up!!!!

I cannot start my degree and do all that. So i am waiting until September to start my online degree purely because i want to focus on working, securing a 4th job twice a week and getting off Gov assistance.

I am in no way lazy thank you. Yet I collect student allowance because it is why MOST full time student to UNTIL they are able to earn the Aussie minimum wage of 32 a year.

I am bending over backwards to find ANOTHER job so that i can earn enough

• Author

People here get government assistance until they can earn the Aussie minimum wage.

If people slack off they lose privileges.

People like me know full well we are lucky to get these privileges. We use them for a leg up. Not a hand out. The government assistance is designed to help us low income earners help ourselves.

I am a whisker away from earning enough to get off Gov assistance. Just 2 to 3 shifts per week away......

As soon as we start working, Gov assistance gets cut off 50 to 60 cents of every dollar you earn gets cut from your Government assistance.

My first priority is to get a 4th job and work during the day when the kids are at school and day care.

then I'll be off government assistance.

My dad

Leigh, I really hope this all goes well for you. I was on Youth Allowance for a while and it sucked. It sounds like you're in a great position right now and I'm happy for you.

Just putting it out there... legally, you do have to declare all of your income, from all sources, whatever medium it comes in. Just think, even the "piffling" $150 per week in cash will add up to almost $8000 over the next year and the ATO will want to know about it.

• Like 2

Leigh, when does your nanny stint start exactly?

I don't understand how being dependent makes you independent.

Oh come off it. Yes, students do get a government allowance in Aussie (and in several other countries). It doesn't really matter what you think about their system, given that you don't live in Aussie or pay taxes there - and this thread isn't even about that. For the record, the majority of people I DO know who actually work in Aussie and pay taxes there are in favour of student allowance, even if they don't benefit from it themselves.

I am inclined to agree that students should be using their allowance for necessities and for other, well, student-related costs, but I don't see the point in harping constantly on the allowance issue as you and the person who liked your post are doing.

Really? How much do guys cost where you live?

Yeah, I was wondering about the 'buy a guy' post too.. :laugh:

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 1
MidwestUSA
About 3K..

I'm in luck. I've saved enough for 2.5 guys!! Was saving towards a car, but might have to rethink this.

• Like 3
Leigh, I really hope this all goes well for you. I was on Youth Allowance for a while and it sucked. It sounds like you're in a great position right now and I'm happy for you.

Just putting it out there... legally, you do have to declare all of your income, from all sources, whatever medium it comes in. Just think, even the "piffling" $150 per week in cash will add up to almost $8000 over the next year and the ATO will want to know about it.

If she never declares it they'll never know. I don't see how they would possibly catch her, unless this family is already under investigation.

If she never declares it they'll never know. I don't see how they would possibly catch her, unless this family is already under investigation.

Don't you think the 'right' thing to do would be to declare it though?

She has gotten assistance from her country, she should contribute in return.

• Like 1
MidwestUSA

Leigh, how many shifts have you worked at the patisserie? How many days ago did you move into the nanny position? I thought it was just this weekend?

And now you're looking at yet another job down the street in a cafe? You're counting a lot of things before they happen. You're adding up money you haven't earned yet.

I'm just here to warn you again about burnout and overload. Don't set yourself up for disappointment; take it easy!

• Like 2
Don't you think the 'right' thing to do would be to declare it though?

She has gotten assistance from her country, she should contribute in return.

I guess it depends on what kind of work. When I was younger I did umpiring for sports. That was cash in hand, $12 per game. I guess I wasn't receiving any govt benefits though (have to be over 22 for that). There's no way you'd ever declare that amount. I suppose it's a bit different with Leigh. If she did declare it the family might be in trouble with Fair Work Australia as $180 is well under minimum wage for a full time job such as this, and she hasn't really got set hours.

Generally cash in hand jobs are the ones that employ immigrants illegally at petrol stations at such. Employer is dodgy with less than minimum wage, worker is too scared to complain for fear the govt might deport them.

Hmm come to think of it though she should declare, especially since she gets welfare money that people like me are funding!

• Like 1
I guess it depends on what kind of work. When I was younger I did umpiring for sports. That was cash in hand, $12 per game. I guess I wasn't receiving any govt benefits though (have to be over 22 for that). There's no way you'd ever declare that amount. I suppose it's a bit different with Leigh. If she did declare it the family might be in trouble with Fair Work Australia as $180 is well under minimum wage for a full time job such as this, and she hasn't really got set hours.

Isn't there provision for payment via accommodation/food though? I know WWOOFing (20-25 hours a week for accom + food) is legal there, so that could be part of it? Tax does get tricky with such stuff though.

Isn't there provision for payment via accommodation/food though? I know WWOOFing (20-25 hours a week for accom + food) is legal there, so that could be part of it? Tax does get tricky with such stuff though.

I guess that could be a project for Leigh to investigate! I'm not really too knowledgable as I've never done this kind of work she does.

It can do this but the payments are not setting you up for a comfortable life. I would say that those with that outlook were probably lazy and unmotivated to begin with. Because if you are counting down to the last cent and doing it tough then surely that is motivation to go get a job!

Having said that Keenly, it does kinda bug me that people are able to actually SAVE hundreds per week from government payments whilst i am working full time and barely able to afford food and bills. And i havent had the luxury of getting a uni degree.

• Like 4
I guess that could be a project for Leigh to investigate! I'm not really too knowledgable as I've never done this kind of work she does.

Haha, yep. I had a friend who did an au pair/nanny job in exchange for accom/food and a bit of side money. Now that I think of it, I hope she was legal! :laugh:

Having said that Keenly, it does kinda bug me that people are able to actually SAVE hundreds per week from government payments whilst i am working full time and barely able to afford food and bills. And i havent had the luxury of getting a uni degree.

AFAIK the reason for this is that people expect folks above 22(?) to not be getting any financial support from their parents, so student allowance is actually quite scant for someone who is paying all their own bills. Part of the rationale for this could be encouraging young citizens to move out from their parents and start their own families - I know some Scandinavian countries use that rationale due to declining birth rates, but not sure about Aussie.

That being said I would have thought that there should be a part in the student allowance form where you declare whether or not you are living with your parents/partner and if you do, how much they earn (thus disqualifying you if you do live with them and they are high earners). I know there is here.

AFAIK the reason for this is that people expect folks above 22(?) to not be getting any financial support from their parents, so student allowance is actually quite scant for someone who is paying all their own bills. Part of the rationale for this could be encouraging young citizens to move out from their parents and start their own families - I know some Scandinavian countries use that rationale due to declining birth rates, but not sure about Aussie.

That being said I would have thought that there should be a part in the student allowance form where you declare whether or not you are living with your parents/partner and if you do, how much they earn (thus disqualifying you if you do live with them and they are high earners). I know there is here.

They don't actually ask if you do I believe. I have a friend who is a student and lives at home. He's just about to start a world trip funded entirely by John Taxpayer! I think the rationale is that it would be unfair on your parents to have to burden themselves for you. It's kind of like the unemployment benefits I guess. I'm not opposed to youth allowance payments, I think they're a good idea. But if you're actually working too then you shouldn't be trying to rort the system IMO.

• Like 2
  • Author
They don't actually ask if you do I believe. I have a friend who is a student and lives at home. He's just about to start a world trip funded entirely by John Taxpayer! I think the rationale is that it would be unfair on your parents to have to burden themselves for you. It's kind of like the unemployment benefits I guess. I'm not opposed to youth allowance payments, I think they're a good idea. But if you're actually working too then you shouldn't be trying to rort the system IMO.

I'd never spend the 200 a week Gov assistance on overseas TRIPS.

it is towards my future; a car to get to work rather than catch 3 trains. .... a laptop for my future of studies......

Although I sincerely pray that I get one of the hundreds of cafe jobs that are available in my very local area in a close proximity to where I live.

My ultimate dream would be to set myself up with a full time income of 700 plus a week and THEN study full time once I secure those two extra shifts a week at a local joint....

I am so close to my goal. I simply need 2 long shifts per week during the day for 4 hours. Then I'll be free of Gov assistance and I can relish in being a self sufficient adult.

I and wait to buy my first car.

Can I just ask... why did you go for the patisserie job that you have to travel an hour to and catch 3 trains, when there are "hundreds" of cafe jobs just down the road?

• Like 3
  • Author
Can I just ask... why did you go for the patisserie job that you have to travel an hour to and catch 3 trains, when there are "hundreds" of cafe jobs just down the road?

Because it's the first job I got. Because they were desperate.

Trust me it 2 will be very hard for me and take at least two months ffor me to get work at a cafe in my local area.

It is not easy for all of us to get even the most low paid jobs..many younger and prettiers students go for them.

While it's good to have general goals for yourself, I think you should focus on getting adjusted to the here and now, rather than speculating about things that haven't happened yet. (I mean, why are you worrying right now about buying a car, getting a Masters degree, counting up your savings, your future nose job and travel, your future mortgage, etc.? This stuff is all years away.)

Right now, you only have the nanny job and the patisserie job. You aren't a full-time student right now, so you don't even get government assistance for that right now, right? So, your income is coming from those two sources only?

You just started both of these jobs within the past week. You just moved. I'm guessing you haven't even gotten a paycheck yet? Starting a new job can be very stressful as you learn the ropes. Take a month with those two jobs and get used to your new schedule. See how much spare time you will actually have. Then you can consider whether you will actually have the time for a third job while you are trying to also be a full-time student. Sometimes "on paper" things look like they will work, but when put into practice, they won't. Your focus should really be on getting your degree. You can save money after you get your degree and are working a full-time job.

I really think working three jobs while going to school full-time is going to be too much. It's also unnecessary. If you get the government assistance for being a full-time student, there is no reason not to take it.

Edited by clia
  • Like 1
Glinda.Good
I hope i am making sense.

There is at least one part of all this that does NOT make sense.

You have been posting nonstop about how you get student assistance, loans, or whatever you call it in AUS because you are a full time student.

And how your schedule needs to fit with your studying. Within the last 48 hours you posted:

I get to relax and study for hours during the week days now!

But … I am sure you posted a while back that you are taking one course and it is online? And now you post:

I have even recently deferred college for 2 months just to become entirely Iindependent from the government .I am too focused on seeking those extra 2 to 3 shifts a week and finally becoming totally independent to want to study full time.

Study starts soon enough I just agreed with the good advice I received here about nnot taking on too much too soon.

So - you have dropped out of school? Or did you not actually start school? And what about the assistance you have been getting BECAUSE of being in school?

I am not trying to pick on you. But I am getting a sense that you are approval seeking in this thread (and others) and you want to present your situation in a way that will be impressive to other people.

Seems like you have not kept all the elements straight. And, frankly, I don't think you are being straight with us.

The reason I am pointing this out is because I think you actually DO need some guidance, and you won't get it when nobody here has any clue what your REAL situation actually is.

You are putting about 100 carts before about 100 horses.

Given my age I opted to focus on becoming financially independent first and then focus on carving out my future career via full time study, second AFTER I get all the shifts I need to earn 6 to 7 hundred per wweek which would make me independent ffrom the Gov.

This won't happen in two months.

If you REALLY did move into a family's home to care for their children (with a 7 month old kitten?!?!) two or three days ago, THAT is what you need to focus ALL your emotional and mental resources upon until you get the whole routine and situation, and interpersonal relationships there, worked out.

It is a challenging situation, ALL of us know that. Not to be discouraging, you CAN do it successfully. But telling us that about your nose job, your other job, your next other job, your world tour, your school that you either are or not actively pursuing, etc. is not helping you, and it is not helping US to be of any kind of assistance to you.

What is the actual situation that you are in RIGHT NOW, TODAY. What have you done with the children. How have you been interacting with the parents. What is your schedule like for the upcoming week.

I'm sorry to be calling you out on the fact that your stories aren't straight, but really, Leigh, there IS support here for you. But only if you communicate clearly and honestly what is going on.

• Like 7
  • Author

I am doing a diploma of youth work. It's full time.

The actual college degree I have deferred until September. In order to finda third job.