Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

• Author
:laugh: it's possible. Or maybe when she said $20 she meant $20-something and she is really earning $25? :confused:

Pretty much.

I am trying to estimate the lower end. So I'm either pleasantly surprised or still thrilled with the 20 an hour rate.

• Author
Isn't 8x$20=$160 per day?

I am happy for you Leigh :D

I work 7.5 hours per week end and each second weekend as I am needed to act as a nanny every second Saturday during some of the day. Just to take the 8 year old to the park with his mates.

I'll save between 500 and 700 every week then.

Nearly 2000 a month ain't bad for a student with no skills besides being good with kids and having experience in hospitality.

Eternal Sunshine
I work 7.5 hours per week end and each second weekend as I am needed to act as a nanny every second Saturday during some of the day. Just to take the 8 year old to the park with his mates.

Nearly 2000 a month ain't bad for a student with no skills besides being good with kids and having experience in hospitality.

You have good self control if you can save all that. I would probably just go shopping :cool:

Don't forget that you will (should be!) paying income tax etc on your earnings. And if Australian tax law is like UK tax law, you will need to pay tax for the rent free accommodation etc you are benefitting from.

Pretty much.

I am trying to estimate the lower end. So I'm either pleasantly surprised or still thrilled with the 20 an hour rate.

You don't know how much they are paying you per hour? :confused:

I'm curious - will your new income affect the amount of money you get from the government? Have you looked in to that?

• Author
You don't know how much they are paying you per hour? :confused:

I'm curious - will your new income affect the amount of money you get from the government? Have you looked in to that?

Yes.

I won't get money taken off my earnings yet as I have working credits. I will explain it very simply later.

I will earn about 300 a week that I have to declare.

The 150 to 180 I get from my live in job is cash in hands so don't need to declare it. I give monthly 15 dollar installments to charities and don't feel the need to declare a lousy 150 ish dollars. No one else earning cash in hand declares it lol. It doesn't weigh on my conscience personally as i do a lot for other ppeople as it stands.

As for my capacity to save. ....I am good at saving and good at spending. The most I have saved is 10 K and I got myself braces with it. As a 21 yr old.

First thing I need is a 1200 dollar laptop so I can study for the next 4 years by correspondence.

Then a nose job and 5000 for travel within next 12 months if I am fortunate enough to keep my two jobs. That amount tto 14, 000 ish. I am making about 20k per year. ..

In a years time I will then buy a guy and then save for a hhouse deposit.

You can start by finding a laptop that's 1/3rd the price. As an avid computer nerd, I'd never advocate some one spend that much on a laptop that they are not using for gaming or graphic design. Its money down the drain.

• Like 1
  • Author

I know deep down that I need one last overseas stint and then I will feel great about settling down and saving for a car and house.

Once I am out in the real world working full time in a professional job and paying off a monthly 10000 mortgage, I likely won't afford to travel overseas again for many, many years.

I will only be a girl with a degree and a diploma focused on helping those within the community. Plus a masters. That will not amount to a 50 plus K job until I take many years to work myself up since I am not passionate about a more lucrative masters.

I will do a masters that me and more than one career counselor advices. Social work and HR masters are the mathless ones I know for a fact do not contain math. I haven't done math since year 10 over 15 years ago so it'd take me years to get up to calculus level.

I'll probably aim for a masters in social work Plus do a diploma in business (doesn't require math courses) plus a diploma in counseling. To add to the masters that with hard work will hopefully increase my earning potential in the future albeit not the immediate future..... 6 years is how long it will take me at best to amass all of those qualification .

• Author
You can start by finding a laptop that's 1/3rd the price. As an avid computer nerd, I'd never advocate some one spend that much on a laptop that they are not using for gaming or graphic design. Its money down the drain.

Interesting.

So what would you recommend as a good solid laptop for the purpose of fast Internet access and plus one that is good solid and reliable for years of study to come????

I want it to last a few years.

Is 800 enough for a too of the line? All apparently 1400 will get you a top of the line computer ......

Interesting.

So what would you recommend as a good solid laptop for the purpose of fast Internet access and plus one that is good solid and reliable for years of study to come????

I want it to last a few years.

Is 800 enough for a too of the line? All apparently 1400 will get you a top of the line computer ......

If you'd like me to ( Remind me, as I'll forget the minute I leave the office ) I can find you a pretty sweet deal. Remember that you don't need top.of the line for internet access for your online courses.

You just need basic word processing. Easy breezy. As far as computers lasting, that's the responsibility of the computer owner rather than the hardware itself by performing routine hard drive maintainece.

I can find you a laptop that will suit all of your needs for a MAXIMUM price of 500, not including shipping because I don't know what shipping down under costs.

• Like 1
Keenly, you brusque sales-chappie. You have your banter worked out. I`ll have 2!

Free risque desktop backgrounds of yours truly with every order.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks Keenly.

I am saving up until just before college starts.

What computer do you use?

All I know is... to avoid Macs.

So you are earning enough where you can save $1000 per month, get a nose job, travel, etc. And you are doing that by not paying tax yet using tax payers' money through the student funding you get. How is that fair when other people are living hand to mouth through no fault of their own..... :mad:

• Author

I have quit energy drinks and i get to sleep before 12. I am lying in bed by 8.30.

i still wake up quiet early. First day at 4 am, the second at 5.

I have 7 month old kitten so I'm not sure of its my body waking up or if it's my lovely kitten meowing:love:

I have a screwy cicardain rhythm from my years of my eating disorder and whe resulting night binging it caused.

I am quite stoked that I am falling asleep before midnight. I would normally fall asleep at 2 or 3 when I had no morning obligations.

I also have a berocca vitamin drink daily and multi vitamins when I remember since conventionally grown fruit and vegetables don't give you your intake of daily vitamins and minerals UNLESS you literally ate a bucket loadwwhich frankly, I cannot palate...

I definitely feel more positive about my work......

I am now loooking to get a job a up my street at one of the many cafes once or twic a week tops. My goal is to not depend on the government student allowance.

• Author
So you are earning enough where you can save $1000 per month, get a nose job, travel, etc. And you are doing that by not paying tax yet using tax payers' money through the student funding you get. How is that fair when other people are living hand to mouth through no fault of their own..... :mad:

I am not doing all that until Ii get a job once or twice a week at a cafe up my street and lose the Gov allowance.

I have morals you know.

I will however, use the Gov assistance to get a laptop since it is towards my studies. Which the go help is designed to be towards.

:confused:

In your post you say you will lose the allowance yet will use the allowance. Plus in post 18 you referred to getting $200 student allowance every week. You also said your nanny earnings would not affect that. Seeing as you are not even declaring those earnings (which are actually more like $500 per week when including accommodation etc) then that means the earnings that will be declared are those from the patisserie. These are not far off your cash earnings from your nanny job so based on your comments, I assume that your student allowance will not be affected. You are being contradictory and inconsistent.

• Author

If I got 2 shifts a week I'd get to lose Gov assistance.

There are literally hundreds of cafes up my street and a 10 min train right away there is a station to a massive cafe hub....

I do however, get Gov assistance as part of being a full time student.

Without Gov help I'd get 480 the weeks I work weekends at the patisserie and 380 ish the weeks I only work Saturdays...

No student earning under 500 would turn town 200 a week Gov help. They ALL claim it unless they earn about 600 plus....

I am very motivated to gget 2 or 3 shifts a week at a local cafe or restaurant and earn 700 a week on my own with no government help.

That is new goal atm. I have actually postponed college an extra 2 months purely so i can focus on getting another job at a local cafe. And then focus on full time studies once I get work llike balance sorted.

believe it or not becoming properly independent from both my parents and the government are first goals. Studying can wait a couple of months until I am self sufficient.

And I work for rent and food so this nice house and lifestyle will not hinder me form being independent if I am earning every penny on my own without parental and Gov help.

Posters here have made me want to focu on getting 2 shifts a week at a local cafe so that I will not depend on the government and tax payer. Plus I'll earn more hence why I wouldn't need gGov help. ....

• Author
:confused:

In your post you say you will lose the allowance yet will use the allowance. Plus in post 18 you referred to getting $200 student allowance every week. You also said your nanny earnings would not affect that. Seeing as you are not even declaring those earnings (which are actually more like $500 per week when including accommodation etc) then that means the earnings that will be declared are those from the patisserie. These are not far off your cash earnings from your nanny job so based on your comments, I assume that your student allowance will not be affected. You are being contradictory and inconsistent.

The 200 from the Gov is for my lap too and new car- things that will directly hel my studies ( II don't plan to do online study forever)

the Gov assistance is my 200 a week towards things that will better my life. Transport, study material, a math tutor one day if I pick a masters that involves some math.

The rest is the money I earn.

Getting cash in hand is common in many cafe style jobs that are not large corporations.

No one bothers to voluntarily lose some of their 200 paycheck.

I don't know a single cash in hand income earners who actually declares it.

It's180 tax free per week. I don't think it's a big deal. My morals and Iintegrity are still high in my opinion. I am not lowly enough to spend my Gov help on luxuries that'sa given.

Sorry I didn't explain more clearly. I have an account for my earnings and my normal aaccount where the Gov help comes into is reserved for things a student needs...... laptop, a car for when I do face to face studies, any food I buy that isn' from the family I live with..

I built my PC, do that's not really going to be useful information. Everything I have in it is expensive, and way overkill. You don't need 16 gigs of ram lol.

I'll look late tonight if you send me a PM to remind me.

• Author

I have set up an account for my "earnings". The money I actually earn goes I to account b.

In account a, is my Gov assistance weekly installments. That is towards transport, food, a good laptop for my correspondent degree, and a car once I do my masters which I know I'll do face to face.

does that make sense?

I save about 380 one week the 480 next. When I was eestimating my savings I stupidly counted the 200 Gov assistance towards the nose job lol. Sorry. I apologize for the misunderstanding and I didn't mean to offend.

It will actually take me a little over a year to earn the nose job and 5000 K trip.

In the mean while, I will have 200 a week saved from Gov assistance for my future. Things a student and a non student adult needs.. a house deposit, a car etc...

First thing I need is a 1200 dollar laptop so I can study for the next 4 years by correspondence.

Then a nose job and 5000 for travel within next 12 months if I am fortunate enough to keep my two jobs. That amount tto 14, 000 ish. I am making about 20k per year. ..

In a years time I will then buy a guy and then save for a hhouse deposit.

Really? How much do guys cost where you live?

• Like 3
  • Author

I hope i am making sense.

I have two separate accounts.

I just forgot to separate the two and when I was estimating my future savings...my earnings account towards luxuries.

I have even recently deferred college for 2 months just to become entirely Iindependent from the government.

I am too focused on seeking those extra 2 to 3 shifts a week and finally becoming totally independent to want to study full time.

Study starts soon enough I just agreed with the good advice I received here about nnot taking on too much too soon.

Given my age I opted to focus on becoming financially independent first and then focus on carving out my future career via full time study, second AFTER I get all the shifts I need to earn 6 to 7 hundred per wweek which would make me independent ffrom the Gov.

My goal is 700 to 800 a week. Which 3 long shiftsat a local cafe will yield.

• Author

The first things I'll get with the Gov assistance is a lap top for my imminent college degree which is delivered via correspondence.

Then I'll save for a car. I think it's the first things an adult needs besides food.

Oh and before the car I need some new work pants. Nice black interview pants and a black interview blouse.

Then it is all towards a house deposit.

In aus, Gov assistance is designed to help adults become independent. You buy the things you need until you find enough work to support yourself entirely devoid of the Gov help. .....

I feel a car, laptop for studies and one nice interview outfit is appropriate.

I have good faith that I'll get a local cafe job in one of the 100 of cafes up my street or in a very closeby area.

I pray that I can be totally financially independent by Christmas. It will be the best present I could ever get for myself.

I'm adamant I'll do well in college but becoming ffinancially independent trumped studying for the immediate future hence why I made the call yesterday to postpone studies for 2 months.....

I want the next two month to purely focus on my two current jobs, and securing a job in one of the hundreds of cafes in my area.

I don't wish to do all that whilst also studying full time. I want to tackle one thing before the other. It's it like I'm deferring for long. .... just 2 months. .

800 a week would be the result of 3 5 hour shifts per week at local cafe PLUS my current jobs. ...

Earning that 800 a week and the joy of becoming totally independent would be awesome.