Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

UpwardForward
So I rang the bus sschedule customer service line. They have me the route to get to work and back.

It looks like I will be working there most days when the kids are at school and day care.

I worked today and yesterday and I'm due for an 8 hour training thing tomorrow for 8 hours.

I love working. I hate studying and just bumming at home all day.

Those children are in School .. And Daycare .. and in the Summer?

What is the 'nanny' for? Is it just to drop them off / pick them up, feed them supper, and tuck them in to bed?

Edited by UpwardForward

Leigh, I agree with MidWest. No one is putting you down! Relax. Stop trying to defend yourself. There is no need for it. It's great that you're stepping out of your comfort zone and getting a job!

Those children are in School .. And Daycare .. and in the Summer?

You do know it is winter in Aussie... right? :confused:

• Like 1
UpwardForward
Leigh, I agree with MidWest. No one is putting you down! Relax. Stop trying to defend yourself. There is no need for it. It's great that you're stepping out of your comfort zone and getting a job!

You do know it is winter in Aussie... right? :confused:

No. I didn't know. I thought it was only like 24 hrs difference .. :laugh::D:o

jokes on me. :p

But still: 'Day care' when there's a 'nanny'??

Edited by UpwardForward
  • Author

It's cheaper to have a live in nanny who needs a place to stay looks after your children in exchange for rentand cfood.

Day care is super expensive. Not sure why child care is one of the most underpaid jobs.....

UpwardForward
It's cheaper to have a live in nanny who needs a place to stay looks after your children in exchange for rentand cfood.

Day care is super expensive. Not sure why child care is one of the most underpaid jobs.....

Yes, and I would think it would be nicer for the children to be home rather than day care.

But you have said that while you are residing there, the children will be at day-care (as well as attending school).

• Author

Well the idea of having me there is for me to be part of the family.

I don't know why but I really like spending time with children (given I was so against having my own for most of my life).

I am there to drop them off and pick them up at school/day care.

The elder is 8 and the youngest is only 2:love:

I plan to be a person they grow to love rather than just.. a day care staff member they get taken to.

I will supervise the, when they get home.... when they do homework, at which stage I can also sit down and do my own course work:lmao: They just want to know I am there for them from 3 pm until 5 when they mother gets home......

I will then help prepare dinner than I will study and go to bed myself.

It is a full time job.

And inbetween the times I drop them off and pick them up at school/day care, I will be travelling to my OTHER job, :lmao:

I will save a lot of money, it is so worth it to me.

I have met these kids and they are nice, I can tell they are not awful.

I am excited about my new roll, but more so the full time work.. I have honestly never worked full time before...should be interesting....

Once I am attached to a child I pretty much do anything I can to make them happy, I am sucker like that.

MidwestUSA

Leigh, I'm not sure that the kids sitting down to do homework means you'll be free to do yours. Do you have ANY idea how demanding they're going to be? You realize your job probably includes helping with their homework? (What homework does a 2 year old have?)

So you help prepare dinner, then you're free. It sounds simple, doesn't it? What about clean up after? If mom's doing that, then surely you've still got the kids. Aren't there baths to be given? Don't kids get sick and puke? I hope the young one is out of diapers, LOL! Even if he/she is, butts still need to be wiped. They can be the 'best' kids you've ever met, but....

How about sleep walking, night terrors, bed wetting, monsters under the bed? Thunderstorms in the middle of the night? The fight to get them up in the morning?

I really do want you to succeed, but I don't think you're aware of what this is going to entail. What if mom gets pregnant with her next and feels like crap?

You may have been offered a full time job, but the way you're describing it IS NOT FULL TIME. I understand you don't know what full time is, just try to go in without this preconceived notion that this is some holiday where you simply get to 'make kids happy'. My kid is as good as gold, but when he has a melt down, it's nuclear. And my paperwork? I do it when I get home (not getting paid for that, but it's less stressful).

As far as being hired to be part of the family, that's a lovely thought. I have a feeling that comes AFTER you've proven yourself with the job duties, however.

Good luck!

• Like 3
UpwardForward

Also with a stay-at-home mother (and her helper), I have no idea why age 2 yr old (and up) must do 'Day-care'.

Is this detachment, how people live?

I'm also confused about why the 2 year old is going to spend all day in daycare when there is a full time nanny in the house.

Anyway, though, your plate is really full. The full-time nanny job, working nearly every day at the patisserie, and full-time school? You are only leaving yourself the evenings and weekends for studying, when school should really be your top priority. When do you plan to see your boyfriend? When do you plan to relax and chill out and see your friends? Your schedule does not seem sustainable to me for very long. You should slow down or you will burn yourself out.

When does school start up?

• Author

Okay,

Well I have decided to not work at the patisserie every day.

They asked me when I was available. They are short staffed, massively, and so they seem to pretty much want to take me when they can get me.

In the interview there was no mention of having to work every day, it was all about the staff hours and picking staff who compliment each others hours...

I am only going to agree to work... 2 days during the week plus weekends.

Or should I scale it back to one week day and weekends?

They ask me when I can work and I simply tell them.

And yes the nanny thing IS full time, I have mentioned it before... I know it will be very hard for, and all for food shelter plus 150 - 180 per week. Yet I can save my 200 student allowance the government gives all full time students ( they figure we are unskilled at present and need the 200, since minimum wage student style jobs are all most students can get)

So... just calculating... 150 - 180 per week for the live in nanny job, I get 20 an hour for patisserie work, and the 200 a week student allowance I will save (since my living expenses are paid for by the family I will reside with)

If I worked 10 hours a week I would get 200 from the patisserie.

I am going to limit my time spent there to 20 hours a week maximum.

The commute there to the patisserie takes 1 hour each way, which is valuable study time I can use... I will study on the bus/train..

The commute to the patisserie will enable me to get some valuable study time in, about 2 hours a day of solid study I can do.....

It is a NON demanding degree, all research and essays and exams..... It doesn't require 6 hours a day study frankly.

I think I will try to see if studying for the 2 hour round commute to the patisserie lets me get some quality study in (I tend to not need to sit by a desk to learn, I can read on trains lol).

If the patisserie proves to not be worth the money (if it costs me my grades...), then I will request only weekends, If they fire me so be it.

So... grades first, nanny job second and patisserie is third on my list of priorities. I want to work as much as I can, whilst still passing University with at least credits....

My boyfriend is helpful, he knows I have been tired these past two days working... he cooks dinner and cleans up for me and gives me something to look forward to at the end of a hard days work.

I have worked two days so far, it has taken me 5 hours a day of a commute since I have not moved to Sydney yet.........

I feel good because I don't need the money, my parents offer to look after me, yet I chose to travel 5 freakin hours from my current flat to work two days in a row.

When I move to Sydney the trip is only 1 hour each way to the patisserie job.

• Author
I'm also confused about why the 2 year old is going to spend all day in daycare when there is a full time nanny in the house.

Anyway, though, your plate is really full. The full-time nanny job, working nearly every day at the patisserie, and full-time school? You are only leaving yourself the evenings and weekends for studying, when school should really be your top priority. When do you plan to see your boyfriend? When do you plan to relax and chill out and see your friends? Your schedule does not seem sustainable to me for very long. You should slow down or you will burn yourself out.

When does school start up?

I don't need weekly time with friends. I will see them once a month.

Making money and studying towards a better job is worth sacrificing things like social time.

I will see my boyfriend once during the week for lunch and on weekends I will stay with him overnight fri and sat night....

He is not demanding with my time... he can go ten days without me and not kick up a fuss. He misses me but he is not one to insist on ALWAYS having to see me every week, although seeing me a few times weekly is ideal, he won't die without it....

Where as I have a friend who's boyfriend would not tolerate not seeing her every week because he would not function without her well. I think my boyfriend loves me just as much but he can just go longer stints without me and be OKAY - even though he misses me a lot.

Do you go to college or university or are you taking an online course? I mean right now, not what you plan to do in the future?

I think you need to be careful about this nanny situation. I have a good friend who did it. If you are living in their house and they are paying ALL your living expenses and also a wage, I would think that your free time would be well defined and that MOST of the time you will be expected to be available.

I bet that the situation will not really pan out the way you think (just drive them somewhere and home and then have the rest of your time to yourself). That is not realistic. It would be foolish to invite a person to live in your home and pay them for that. If somebody is living under their roof they are probably expected to keep busy.

Also my friend found it to be challenging to live with a family and learn how to fit in and not feel awkward. In fact she did not do it for long. But I know it is a good situation for many people. My advisor and her husband have an au pair from Denmark and they love her. But she only gets two days a week off unless planned well in advance.

I think you should be focussing on how to make that nanny thing work for you if it is what you really want to do. It is going to be a challenge.

But I am sure you would have plenty of time for your online classes, just not sure about a second job.

UpwardForward

I had forgotten the ages of the youngest children. But still do not understand why the two year old is in day care - unless the mother works.

And as mentioned before, the idea of having a 'nanny' is so little children do Not have to attend day care.

Sending toddlers to 'day care' is supposed to be a sacrifice for the children - as well as a 'caring parent'.

I will supervise the, when they get home.... when they do homework, at which stage I can also sit down and do my own course work:lmao: They just want to know I am there for them from 3 pm until 5 when they mother gets home……

2 year olds do not have homework. You will be paying complete attention to the 2 year old until parents get home. And I imagine that the mother will be thankful that you are there so that she can unwind after her day at work.

I will then help prepare dinner than I will study and go to bed myself.

My friend only had free time after the kids were in bed and the dinner dishes were all washed and put away. There was bath time too.

It is a full time job.

I think it is about the fullest time job that there is.

And inbetween the times I drop them off and pick them up at school/day care, I will be travelling to my OTHER job, :lmao:

Will you please explain why a family will hire a full time nanny and leave a 2 year old in day care for 7 hours a day? That does not make sense to me. I am afraid you are misunderstanding some of the requirements.

Once I am attached to a child I pretty much do anything I can to make them happy, I am sucker like that.

Have you had experience working with children?

• Like 1
  • Author
2 year olds do not have homework. You will be paying complete attention to the 2 year old until parents get home. And I imagine that the mother will be thankful that you are there so that she can unwind after her day at work.

My friend only had free time after the kids were in bed and the dinner dishes were all washed and put away. There was bath time too.

I think it is about the fullest time job that there is.

Will you please explain why a family will hire a full time nanny and leave a 2 year old in day care for 7 hours a day? That does not make sense to me. I am afraid you are misunderstanding some of the requirements.

The toddler will be in day care.

I get 9.30 until 2.30 totally to myself.

she stated that " once the kids get home, I need help, not someone to do everything for me. She wants someone to help with dinner. NOT to cook full dinners and then wash up. She stated it is to be 50/50 when it comes to after school time!

And he's I have done a similar job before. Just not live in....

• Author

Where I'm from, a nanny would get paid morethan 180 a

a week plus food and living expenses. ...For looking after kids from dawn juntil dusk.

180 a week in Australia Iis more indicative of a less hand's on job.

But I also get 200 a week for student assistance. Plus my wage from the second job which I will do for 3 hours a few days a week.

Hm. Seems weird that a 2 year old will be in full time day care when a full time nanny is being completely supported and paid and living in the home. For what? I wonder why they don't just pay somebody to drive the kids to and fro and stay with them for an hour or 2 after if that is all they want? That would seem a lot better for them than having a stranger live in their home and be supported for a few hours of light work. I have concerns about this situation. It's not normal. You don't seem to be worried, so I hope you are reading it right.

When are you moving in?

I am afraid that instead of dealing with all this confusing stuff you are posting about (honestly I can't follow), you are going to be dealing with a messy situation and wasting a lot of time and energy on it.

If you are just taking an online class I guess you won't be necessarily derailed from that. Hope not!

Edited by Untouched
  • Like 1
  • Author
Hm. Seems weird that a 2 year old will be in full time day care when a full time nanny is being completely supported and paid and living in the home. For what? I wonder why they don't just pay somebody to drive the kids to and fro and stay with them for an hour or 2 after if that is all they want? That would seem a lot better for them than having a stranger live in their home and be supported for a few hours of light work. I have concerns about this situation. It's not normal. You don't seem to be worried, so I hope you are reading it right.

When are you moving in?

I am afraid that instead of dealing with all this confusing stuff you are posting about (honestly I can't follow), you are going to be dealing with a messy situation and wasting a lot of time and energy on it.

If you are just taking an online class I guess you won't be necessarily derailed from that. Hope not!

It seems straight forward to me. They have the money to live in the world's most expensive city in a massive 3 story house. They can afford to pay me 150 to 180 a week to live there and be available to drop the kids at school and day care.

180 a week for working 7 or 8 hours a day with kids is not much money even bearing in mind they pay for my food and living expense.

They probably want their 2.5 year old to be socialized.

They would have to pay me a lot more of they expected me to literally work all day looking after a 2.5 year old. ......

• Author

And where I come from, 180 a week is still not much money to drive kids to and from day care and school 5 days a week.

Even if I was strictly a driver 180 is appropriate. It's honestly fck all in Australia as a weekly wage.

It would cost me 300 plus 100 for food and transport living in sydney each week. Plus I save 200 a week of my student allowance i can save. .... that's why this job is even worth it.

MidwestUSA

I do agree with the need for socialization with a peer group for the two year old, actually. Hey, if they can afford it, do it.

And Leigh, I know your opinion of the US, but when I read about what stuff costs over there, WOW! I may not make what you consider to be good money, but I sure manage to make it go far here. Counting blessings!

Edited by MidwestUSA

And Leigh, I know your opinion of the US, but when I read about what stuff costs over there, WOW! I may not make what you consider to be good money, but I sure manage to make it go far here. Counting blessings!

It's mostly just Sydney (and to an extent, Melbourne), I think. Living in a town even an hour away from Sydney would be much cheaper.

And where I come from, 180 a week is still not much money to drive kids to and from day care and school 5 days a week.

Even if I was strictly a driver 180 is appropriate. It's honestly fck all in Australia as a weekly wage.

It would cost me 300 plus 100 for food and transport living in sydney each week. Plus I save 200 a week of my student allowance i can save. .... that's why this job is even worth it.

The point is Leigh that you are not just being paid 180 to take the kids to and from school. Based on the figures you have quoted above your total package is 580 including accommodation etc. That IS a lot of money for just the workload you are describing.

• Author
I do agree with the need for socialization with a peer group for the two year old, actually. Hey, if they can afford it, do it.

I am really upset about the cost of living here,

I am about to start a full time online degree and they don't give students concession passes for transport. Where as other full time students get half price transport.

I will work a 2.5 hour shift at 60 dollars. 15 of that will go towards transport there and back.

I will only be making 35 dollars for 2.5 hours worth of work most days, plus only 180 a week. Plus 200 from the government for studying full time.

If I do 4 shifts a week I will be getting 140 dollars plus 150 - 180 for the live in nanny job, plus 200 from the government.

That is ONLY 490 a week for working absolutely full time.

With a student travel concession card I would earn over 600.

This is complete crap.

Why the fudge should I have to pay the same price for transport as a professional who earns twice as much as me when I am doing minimum wage jobs and will be working literally flat out with my two jobs?

15 dollars per DAY just to travel to my minimum wage job! It's bullcrap! Business men who travel by train (and there are many of them), pay the same as me to travel to work, yet other students doing the SAME course load as me get half price transport!

2 hours daily commute plus a 2.5 hour shift isn't worth the lousy 35 dollars I will earn out of it.

Why the heck is it so damn expensive to travel to a bloody job?

I am literally about to work FULL TIME, from dawn until dusk (since I will work during the day) for a lousy 500 - 600 TOPS per week.

If I work long shifts on weekends It will be worth the ridiculous price of transport.

• Author
The point is Leigh that you are not just being paid 180 to take the kids to and from school. Based on the figures you have quoted above your total package is 580 including accommodation etc. That IS a lot of money for just the workload you are describing.

Let me think this out...

The official job description is: wake up 7am to help get he kids ready, with the help of their mother. Take them to school and day care.Then travel to my second job some days. Then Pick kids up at 3pm. Get home and look after them until their mother gets back from work (she works 5 mins away) and she gets home at 5 pm. I will then be required to help their mother entertain them, do their homework etc and I am to help her prepare dinner, then I can have from 8 pm off. She stressed that she needs HELP: not someone to do things for her, she just needs help, as he husband works away for months at a time in the defence force.

I get 150 to 180 a week, plus living expenses taken care of.

To live in Sydney in a nice area and a nice house like this, it could cost me probably 400 to 500 in rent per week plus 100 food and transport.

I also get to save the 200 government grant for full time students plus the 140 - 200 I will earn from my second job ( this INCLUDES cost of transport).

If I worked 4 or more hour shifts on the weekend in my second job I can earn 700 - 800 per week.

Without long weekends shifts I will be earning about 400 - 490 per week with 2 to 4 shifts in my second job.

Before, when I was living rent free at my parents flat, I was getting 200 a week and spending 100 on living expenses plus getting money for the occasional event work. Which was every weekended for a month or two, which tapered down to once a month or less during quieter months...

Is it possible for you to grasp that other people might have different priorities than you do? Some people have no interest in going overseas. They might prefer to spend their $5k on other things. I think generally most people who really want to travel will save up the money to do so, because it is a priority to them. If it's not a priority to them, they won't do it.

I also don't understand why you are - yet again - bashing the USA. You have no idea what you are talking about, and as someone else noted - we don't need your pity. Life is pretty great here! :D

Agreed! I am Australian and I have been to the USA a few times and love it there. Much friendly people and atmosphere. I might consider moving there when I finish university :)

• Like 1