Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

• Author
The entire last year I spent working 9:00-18:00, then 18:15-21:00 I had classes. Then I got home at 22:00 I still had to prepare my dinner, take my shower, and study until 0:00 or so.

I will not lie. It was a very hard year. But some things thar really helped me were:

- I had a very detailed timetable. Very boring, but effective. For instance, I knew that I would wake up at 7:00, eat breakfast and take a shower, get ready, prepare my tupperware for the day, and leave home at 8. Then I was at work and school, and then I got back home at 22:00. At home, I knew that I had to cook food in the oven while I was taking a shower, and then study for at least one hour.

- The shower was the key in taking the tiredness away. I think if I did yoga back then, it would realy help ith my energy levels.

- I could only shop for groceries in the weekends. So I had to have a plan about what I was going to eat that week and then buy the items.

- I found out that white carbs, caffeine and sugar are awful when you need energy. Awful, awful, awful. Choose whole grains, protein, fruit. And some green tea, if you need a boost. Coffee makes me vey nervous, so I avoid it.

- Be careful of your health and take care of Leigh. If you see any physical symptoms, slow down. I remember I started having eyelid myokymia daily, for half a day. It was nothing serious, but really annoying, and a sign that I was overworking.

- Go out and have fun in every possible chance. It helped me very much to relax a little bit, especially on weekends.

Yikes....

I will be a tad less busy! I will have a few hours a day in which to study!

My degree is not too demanding and doesn't suck the life out of you although I want to get at least credits so I can go on to do my masters.

umm, I have quit energy drinks and I love healthy food, I have just been unhealthy the past two years or so. I once over exercised and avoided all sugar and chemicals added to food, I was anal, so ever since then I forgot about food and eat junk pretty much but I am tired all the time and feel fat and sluggish. I know I enjoy healthy food and feel more fulfilled and I have far more energy eating purely whole grains veggies, lean proteins and occasional cheese/dairy.

I think I spent a couple of years getting away from my health food addiction of the past that left me miserable and I am now dying to just be healthier for my own sanity. I hate not feeling well.

It is only for 2.5 years until I get a degree. If I cannot get a corporate job then I will stay on as a nanny until they don't need me no more and get my masters.

I am very lucky to have a chance to look after myself, I feel really privileged since many people with degrees cannot feed themselves and yet here I am with no skills besides being good with kids, being able to live in a very expensive city that I love, studying towards a degree that wont cripple me with debt.....

I think I am very lucky to be living in Australia and being able to earn a living albeit with government help.

regine_phalange

I'd love to live in Australia (my grandparents almost moved there when young, but didn't manage in the end). And yes you are lucky to live there! I don't think getting goverment help is bad, you are or will be paying taxes in the future, so you don't owe any explanation to anybody. If your country is able to provide you that, then it means it can. Don't feel guilty.

• Like 1
MidwestUSA
Sigh, people seem to think you can just go in and make a decent living without a degree.

I basically picked what I was passionate about and took the path I needed that is the MOST likely path to result in employment in that field.

I am not sure why people assume there is any other way to achieving your dreams other than hard work and luck/opportunity?

Up until this post, people had given you advice on caffeine, energy drinks, and time management! You really need to get a handle on your defensiveness; it's unattractive.

And, we here in the states don't need your pity. I have no idea where you get the information you cite. Stick to fretting about your time, patting yourself on the back and counting your blessings, FFS. :mad:

• Like 1
  • Author
Up until this post, people had given you advice on caffeine, energy drinks, and time management! You really need to get a handle on your defensiveness; it's unattractive.

And, we here in the states don't need your pity. I have no idea where you get the information you cite. Stick to fretting about your time, patting yourself on the back and counting your blessings, FFS. :mad:

I do pity students over there.

I pat myself on the back because I was a high school drop out and yet I went back to school as a mature adult and did really well and got accepted into prestigious degrees like law/sciences degrees yet chose to follow my passion despite the much lower.... salary outcome. I think any high school drop out like myself who was utterly miserable should feel proud of themselves for turning their lives around.

The reason I hate the US system so much is because it is not worth going to college in the USA unless you do a degree that amounts to a high salary. The student debt is astonishingly high! Without a well paid job soon after graduating you are SCREWED, sorry.

As a social work masters students in two years time, the student loan debt in the USA wouldn't warrant the salary for a social worker. You will be as worse off being a waitress your entire life, SANS student loan debt... Because the debt is smaller and easier to pay off here in AUS, you can graduate, normally get a job in your field unless you pick a useless degree, and then look forward to saving for things in the near future.

I have been told by Americans that a 40K student debt in a social science degree will get you a job totally unrelated to your major that you don't get paid enough to live on unless you have a room mate/room mates. And forget about ever travelling overseas. When travelling, I only EVER saw Americans that had prestigious jobs. I NEVER once met an American that was a nurse, social worker... oh I met ONE teacher who travelled a lot but she gets a higher salary as she worked in private schools and was childless and got help....

Where as broke Aussie students travel cos they work during college, live at home and save like crazy! SO MANY young aussies travel compared to young Americans because so many of them are stuck in student debt that they just cannot even THINK about travel, not even for years after they graduate!

I am well travelled and I have had Americans tell me this first hand!

My mate got a social science degree and is about to land a 40K job and save to travel overseas. And she didn't have to do hard math or anything remotely difficult during her degree??? Yet she gets to save for overseas travel? This is typical of our fantastic quality of life in Aussie land.

I just feel like in America you have to work a lot harder for a lot less fun.

• Author

I am so thrilled about getting full time work after 4 years of looking, as a currently, UNSKILLED worker.

I think the fact I wanted this so badly and it took to long for me to get to this stage, will be a much stronger determinant of success than any energy drink, which I have not touched since that last post and I have decided to definitely quit.

Opting to stop using my parents at all, financially speaking, is something that makes me feel a lot better about myself and I have desperately wanted for years. I am a lot more confident since opting to seek and then SECURE full time work as a full time student.

I guess you could say that I feel more capable taking this all on, I feel if the drive is there I can do it, however; I needed to be reminded to get healthier, I am lucky I am not gigantic given how unhealthy I am.

In very early 2013 I got huge boils on my leg and was told it could be cancer. Turns out, I was just so unhealthy I had like, NO vitamins or minerals coming in:confused: And THE PILL also depletes b vitamins so yeah, I was a wreck physically.....

I am SO determined to also take better care of myself. I have started taking multi vitamins daily and I am religious about it, I don't eat much salad or vegetables which I know I have to change. I will just be eating whatever the family eats. I like anything really so I will likely be eating meat and 3 veg types meals, sausages, home made pizza bases....which is healthier than I have been of late.

I just eat way too much past the point where I am full and I don't realise I am eating. This affects my study/work performance because I feel stuffed.

MidwestUSA

I'm a nurse. I graduated at 22 with no debt. I bought my first home at 24, and paid it off in ten years. I'm now on my third, with some land; and I have done the traveling I wanted to do. I'm set to retire in three years.

But, you know, carry on ranting because of what a couple of people have told you. :confused:

• Author
I'm a nurse. I graduated at 22 with no debt. I bought my first home at 24, and paid it off in ten years. I'm now on my third, with some land; and I have done the traveling I wanted to do. I'm set to retire in three years.

But, you know, carry on ranting because of what a couple of people have told you. :confused:

Nursing would have been a good career option. For me personally speaking. It must be rewarding.

I was going to go into nursing but hadn't done math in over 15 years and wasn't sure how to go about learning calculus and hard stuff/affording a tutor. Didn't think I could afford a tutor:( Yet what do you know, full time work is around the corner so I could probably.

You gradated when? At what age. My mate is nearly 22 and is set to graduate in a few weeks. She went to college fresh out of high school with out the typical Aussie "gap year" of overseas travel.

I had just noticed that a lot LESS Americans travelled overseas besides older couples who had obviously worked many years and could now afford it?

The Americans I did meet were all in prestigious types of fields, where as a LOT of Aussie students who work retail/waitress jobs are overseas.

I have had a few Americans tell me that it is very hard to get savings with student loans pending....

There are obviously exceptions?

I definitely do think you should do what you're passionate about and that if you are passionate enough and focused enough, you will succeed. That said, I don't know anyone with a social work degree who ended up doing social work. The reason is this. There is a great need for these social workers, but they are paid by municipalities, cities, counties, etc. and as most of us know, due to budget constraints (the voters not wanting tax hikes), they can't afford to hire nearly as many as needed. You may find some position with a women's shelter or something similar, but then those folks mainly use volunteers. But like I said, always follow your dream because your passion and focus will eventually prevail. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone not passionate about it to pursue that field, though.

One thing I've learned from the work I do is that colleges will tell just about everyone there's jobs for every major. Why? Because they're in business to make money and attract students. I work peripherally in legal support and see lawsuits about it frequently. So don't take too seriously the pumping up you get from the career counselors on the payroll of a school. A better phone call would be one to people who hire to ask what they recommend.

sweetjasmine

And tuition has increased several times over while wages have stagnated since you did all that. I can count on one hand the number of people my age who graduated debt free, and the number of people I know who bought a home by 24 is exactly 1. He worked on Wall Street straight out of a prestigious school his parents paid for. It's not like it was back then. Leigh's perceptions are a bit exaggerated and irrelevant to the topic at hand, but there's truth to what she believes. More than a lot of Americans would like to admit.

Leigh, be careful not to overdo it. I almost killed myself commuting to school full time while working evening shifts even part time. It's harder than it seems, especially if you have demanding coursework.

• Like 2

^it wouldn't let me edit - I would add that the better way is to ask the career counselor for what types of places hire but then phone directly those employers and speak to their HR department and ask how frequently they hire and what the pay range is for someone fresh out of school. They may not reveal that last part, but you can ask. You can also ask them where they source their hires from and whether they can guide you to any other industry who uses social workers.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

Not to be too OT, but I am very happy to live in Australia. I have seriously considered moving to US and looking for job there but unfortunately, my salary would be less than a half of what I earn here. I am not sure how people over there can bear doing the hard yards of a PhD and then earn 40K as a postdoc. Awful. I know the living expenses are lower there but they are certainly not less than a half lower. Add to that the health care system (which hopefully Abbott doesn't ruin :mad:) and yeah, Australia is :cool:

• Like 1
UpwardForward
I do pity students over there.

I pat myself on the back because I was a high school drop out and yet I went back to school as a mature adult and did really well and got accepted into prestigious degrees like law/sciences degrees yet chose to follow my passion despite the much lower.... salary outcome. I think any high school drop out like myself who was utterly miserable should feel proud of themselves for turning their lives around.

The reason I hate the US system so much is because it is not worth going to college in the USA unless you do a degree that amounts to a high salary. The student debt is astonishingly high! Without a well paid job soon after graduating you are SCREWED, sorry.

As a social work masters students in two years time, the student loan debt in the USA wouldn't warrant the salary for a social worker. You will be as worse off being a waitress your entire life, SANS student loan debt... Because the debt is smaller and easier to pay off here in AUS, you can graduate, normally get a job in your field unless you pick a useless degree, and then look forward to saving for things in the near future.

I have been told by Americans that a 40K student debt in a social science degree will get you a job totally unrelated to your major that you don't get paid enough to live on unless you have a room mate/room mates. And forget about ever travelling overseas. When travelling, I only EVER saw Americans that had prestigious jobs. I NEVER once met an American that was a nurse, social worker... oh I met ONE teacher who travelled a lot but she gets a higher salary as she worked in private schools and was childless and got help....

Where as broke Aussie students travel cos they work during college, live at home and save like crazy! SO MANY young aussies travel compared to young Americans because so many of them are stuck in student debt that they just cannot even THINK about travel, not even for years after they graduate!

I am well travelled and I have had Americans tell me this first hand!

My mate got a social science degree and is about to land a 40K job and save to travel overseas. And she didn't have to do hard math or anything remotely difficult during her degree??? Yet she gets to save for overseas travel? This is typical of our fantastic quality of life in Aussie land.

I just feel like in America you have to work a lot harder for a lot less fun.

All I have read on here is that you mostly do correspondence college courses, and have not worked much.

Being 'well traveled' is not an accomplishment.

Once you have worked job(s) and are able to support yourself, you will have something to go on about - rather than continuing to talk about what you want to do.

• Like 3
pink_sugar

I've always worked while in school. In my last 2 years, I was working close to 30 hours a week while in school full time. It also helped that my classes were online so I could work on homework nights and weekends. It's doable.

• Like 1
  • Author

I know I will go on to do a masters in something.

It may not be social work. It will depend on what my extensive research that I will conduct once I graduate with my bachelor's, finds.

There may be a better grad school option in 2.5 years that will allow me to still find purpose and meaning but that isn't social work.

It's great that I want to help people but I do need to ensure I pick an area of study that ... will actually land me a job!

Right now I'm just doing an arts/community development degree so i at leasthave that ooption of working with the disadvantaged on a small scale in non for profit type places.

If I can't find any meaningful work I will just do a masters in something unrelated. That makes sense based on the current job market...

I am open to changing my career trajectory since, we'll, it's just not smart to go into grad school and get a masters that isn't likely to amount to anything.

I don't want to get rich but I want a job that will at least pay the bills.

I enjoy a broad range of things so I am sure I will find something I enjoy out of any job.

• Author
And tuition has increased several times over while wages have stagnated since you did all that. I can count on one hand the number of people my age who graduated debt free, and the number of people I know who bought a home by 24 is exactly 1. He worked on Wall Street straight out of a prestigious school his parents paid for. It's not like it was back then. Leigh's perceptions are a bit exaggerated and irrelevant to the topic at hand, but there's truth to what she believes. More than a lot of Americans would like to admit.

Leigh, be careful not to overdo it. I almost killed myself commuting to school full time while working evening shifts even part time. It's harder than it seems, especially if you have demanding coursework.

How are new graduates supposed to make ends meat with 40k student debt looming over their shoulders, when rent is about 1000 a month, debt is about 1000 per month and they are only earning enough money to pay for rent and the student debt?

Your college system is totally ridiculous and only thenbest paid degree based jobs will give students a chance in life.... the majority of new grads will live in near poverty.

I am not exaggerating I have been told the figures.... what they earn a month, what the loan repayment scheme is per month. ....

Many live with parents and still cannot afford the dept repayment on their salary.

It is such a joke. Students shouldn't have to make such huge repayments and they should be earning a more secure income before being asked to pay a cent off.

Australia is a much...much better country to live in. The USA is very cruel to its students.....

• Like 1

Honestly? I think that if you really want this, you should just go and try it, and analyze less before the fact. Worst come to worst you end up needing to quit something, and learn something from the experience. Still way better than if you'd backed out before trying.

• Like 1
  • Author
All I have read on here is that you mostly do correspondence college courses, and have not worked much.

Being 'well traveled' is not an accomplishment.

Once you have worked job(s) and are able to support yourself, you will have something to go on about - rather than continuing to talk about what you want to do.

Well I ... tend to look less favourably upon people who can afford to travel but prefer to stay in their own country year after year.... unless they are actively helping rescue animals, and using their money elsewhere.

I am too much in love with seeing other countries to be able to ever have much common ground with a person who has no desire to travel.

And I think travel IS an accomplishment. It opens your mind and makes you a more interesting person.

• Author
Honestly? I think that if you really want this, you should just go and try it, and analyze less before the fact. Worst come to worst you end up needing to quit something, and learn something from the experience. Still way better than if you'd backed out before trying.

I will be so stoked if the nanny situation works out well and I graduate within 3 years.

Anything else is a real bonus. I don't mind if I have to take longer to do the additional diploma which is designed to take a year. I will pay the 150 concession student fee to re enrol each year I take to do the diploma in youth work.

The second job is just a bonus, a way to earn more but my studies and the live in nanny position come first.

UpwardForward
Well I ... tend to look less favourably upon people who can afford to travel but prefer to stay in their own country year after year.... unless they are actively helping rescue animals, and using their money elsewhere.

I am too much in love with seeing other countries to be able to ever have much common ground with a person who has no desire to travel.

And I think travel IS an accomplishment. It opens your mind and makes you a more interesting person.

Everyone has their priorities, or ways in which they wish to spend their earnings.

Imo, 'travel' is as much an accomplishment as eating deserts.

• Like 6
  • Author
Everyone has their priorities, or ways in which they wish to spend their earnings.

Imo, 'travel' is as much an accomplishment as eating deserts.

Anyone with an average paying job can travel overseas far away once in their lifetime. Like a lot more.

Yet people who don't opt to leave their country ever, no offence, tend to be more boring to me.

Travelling brings such a rich experience to those who prioritize their earnings to accommodate it, that not doing so really lessens their life experience.

I don't look down on people who don't opt to travel, I just DO NOT relate to them.

I cannot understand why a person in a first world country would neve travel.

Return tickets are as little as 1500 from Syd to Los Angeles for crying out loud. Everyone medium income earner who has saved for years can afford that plus 2 weeks budget accommodation....

• Author

LOL I will be a nanny PLUS have a second job at a patisserie... and I will be able to afford overseas travel.

It's baffling that there are nurses, teachers and other professionals who never leave their country. Surely they can manage to save 5 K once in their lifetime for one overseas trip?

Waitresses and minimum wage earners in Australia can travel overseas if they save and work full time....and have a room mate or three:D it is very doable if you share rent among a few people...

MidwestUSA
LOL I will be a nanny PLUS have a second job at a patisserie... and I will be able to afford overseas travel.

It's baffling that there are nurses, teachers and other professionals who never leave their country. Surely they can manage to save 5 K once in their lifetime for one overseas trip?

Waitresses and minimum wage earners in Australia can travel overseas if they save and work full time....and have a room mate or three:D it is very doable if you share rent among a few people...

Leigh, have you even started any ONE of the activities tasks you've mentioned:

1) nanny job

2) patisserie

3) volunteering

4) correspondence courses

Why not get started and see how it goes, rather than make lofty predictions with a plate full of imaginary goods? Then report back.

• Like 3

Is it possible for you to grasp that other people might have different priorities than you do? Some people have no interest in going overseas. They might prefer to spend their $5k on other things. I think generally most people who really want to travel will save up the money to do so, because it is a priority to them. If it's not a priority to them, they won't do it.

I also don't understand why you are - yet again - bashing the USA. You have no idea what you are talking about, and as someone else noted - we don't need your pity. Life is pretty great here! :D

• Like 2
The absolute most important thing to do in regards to getting your degree is knowing what jobs you can do with your degree. The jobs you can do must also be in demand.

The last thing you want to do is have a degree in something like archaeology where you will never find a job.

BTW: Your schedule sounds crazy. Good luck :)

As an archaeology major who cannot find a good job, I agree that you must be careful.

I like my degree. I love archaeology. I did something that made me happy.But it didn't do squat for my career.

As for the schedule, it's doable, but it's mostly trial and error. When I studied for my degree I also worked 2 jobs. It wasn't pleasant but I got it done.

• Like 2
UpwardForward

Why do you want to tell others how to spend their money??

I wanted an extremely small wedding, and 7 months later - we were able to purchase our first home. So when I was your age I was married with twins.

A husband, babies and a home were my priorities.

What is there not to understand, that people have different priorities.

And in reference to your other post: Those I know who travel - aren't anymore interesting. Just with different interests.

• Like 3