Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

• Author
Leigh, have you even started any ONE of the activities tasks you've mentioned:

1) nanny job

2) patisserie

3) volunteering

4) correspondence courses

Why not get started and see how it goes, rather than make lofty predictions with a plate full of imaginary goods? Then report back.

I start in less than a week. I know exactly how much I will earn so I know what I can save for. To me it is thrilling to be able to save for things even as a student on a soon to be minimum wage job.

I start job two on a few weeks.

I am doing a correspondence course albeit just one, start full time with the changed degree on the 1st....

I feel very lucky that at least if I work hard at my jobs, I can save a LOT of money. I feel SO much better than if I would be working to merely put food on the table with absolutely no savings beyond that. It is great I can work and save without getting a degree/professional job, since most people need that sort of a job in order to save a penny.

Being able to save for things that give my life more meaning, such as overseas travel, will make working hard much more enjoyable.

• Author

I

Why do you want to tell others how to spend their money??

I wanted an extremely small wedding, and 7 months later - we were able to purchase our first home. So when I was your age I was married with twins.

A husband, babies and a home were my priorities.

What is there not to understand, that people have different priorities.

And in reference to your other post: Those I know who travel - aren't anymore interesting. Just with different interests.

I would like to get married and have kids in the next 10 years.

I plan on one last overseas trip, one nose job (it means a lot to me), and then I am going to save 100% towards a mortgage with a partner. I will save enough with the nanny job in one year for the nose job plus a brief overseas trip. Then I am going to save every penny towards a future. Kids and a mortgage.

My boyfriend saves 100% of his earnings towards his food, and then a house deposit. Together, in 3 years time, if I still have the nanny position, we can put a deposit down on a house/mortgage.

My own boyfriend isn't that into travel, he lived in the UK for a year or so and went to a few countries in Europe and that is it, he doesn't care if he never travels again although he is not ruling it out and says if I ever go on a trip later on in life he would happily come.

I suppose what I said came out wrong... I just personally would find my own life extremely dull if I had never travelled and if I didn't have all those experiences to think about and look forward to. Traveling gives me a high unlike anything other. Like when you fall in love. I cannot relate to people who opt to never leave their own country but I still have friends who have never left he country, I don't think they are too boring to be friends with, LOL.

I have travelled my whole life and so it has always been a big thing for me and it has largely shaped the my outlook on life. Life would be black and white for me personally, without overseas travel...

The thing I have a real grip with about the US is....it is a travesty that college students are in such debt, there is nothing wonderful about life for them, they need to be living with parents in order to ever get ahead in life. UNLESS they happened to do a degree/follow a career path that allowed them to earn the money to pay off their student loans.

Many students I spoke with over there in the USA cannot start a family. Ever. They have too much student debt, graduated a little later in their late 20s, and now do not have the option of even having one child due to only landing low to medium paid jobs after college and having too much student debt to warrant having a child. If I was in the USA I would never be able to save for a family. I would not get my nose job and I would never travel overseas again.

I can afford all those things here. In the USA I would have to work harder for those things than I will do here.

I don't see how any student who are not earning a good income after graduating could possibly be that happy with life.

Anyone with an average paying job can travel overseas far away once in their lifetime. Like a lot more.

Yet people who don't opt to leave their country ever, no offence, tend to be more boring to me.

Travelling brings such a rich experience to those who prioritize their earnings to accommodate it, that not doing so really lessens their life experience.

I don't look down on people who don't opt to travel, I just DO NOT relate to them.

I cannot understand why a person in a first world country would neve travel.

Return tickets are as little as 1500 from Syd to Los Angeles for crying out loud. Everyone medium income earner who has saved for years can afford that plus 2 weeks budget accommodation....

You actually ARE looking down on people that don't want to travel. Why the hell would I want to save money for years for 2 weeks of traveling? No thanks, I'll just open an issue of NatGeo, and have a year and a half worth of fun on that several years worth of pay, rather than just two weeks.

Other than the fun, traveling will not improve your life at all. It won't provide you with an education . It won't give you a job that pays more. It won't earn you respect from your peers. So why are you casting so much pity on people who have no interst in wasting money?

I find it very interesting that you claim to know so much about who can live on what salary and what they can save money for and what their priorities should be. If I remeevr correctly, you've lived at your parents your whole life without even needing to have a job.

You have a very romanticized view of the world as a whole, and you'll find out in the next few years that the world isn't all butterflies and unicorns like you think it is. Its really tough out there.

Not to bring you down or anything , but I don't think your going to be able to have these jobs, do school, and accomplish your current goals simultaneously. It will be too much for you to handle all at once.

I hope you prove me wrong.

• Like 6
UpwardForward
I

The thing I have a real grip with about the US is....it is a travesty that college students are in such debt, there is nothing wonderful about life for them, they need to be living with parents in order to ever get ahead in life. UNLESS they happened to do a degree/follow a career path that allowed them to earn the money to pay off their student loans.

Many students I spoke with over there in the USA cannot start a family. Ever. They have too much student debt, graduated a little later in their late 20s, and now do not have the option of even having one child due to only landing low to medium paid jobs after college and having too much student debt to warrant having a child. If I was in the USA I would never be able to save for a family. I would not get my nose job and I would never travel overseas again.

I can afford all those things here. In the USA I would have to work harder for those things than I will do here.

I don't see how any student who are not earning a good income after graduating could possibly be that happy with life.

Obviously they Choose to do the college thing.

I started working office jobs at 18 yrs. At 26 (before my babies were born) I was an assistant auditor for Fluor Engineering. I got the job because prior I had worked several different office jobs, so they thought I would be a good candidate for assisting audit of different departments.

No student loans for me to carry over. Just income.

• Like 1
Obviously they Choose to do the college thing.

I started working office jobs at 18 yrs. At 26 (before my babies were born) I was an assistant auditor for Fluor Engineering. I got the job because prior I had worked several different office jobs, so they thought I would be a good candidate for assisting audit of different departments.

No student loans for me to carry over. Just income.

Pretty close to my situation. Started in a mailroom. Moved into data entry. Switched companies into bill review and processing. 60 days later I'm now a workers comp claims assistant.

No school. No loans. Just hard work.

• Like 3
somedude81
As an archaeology major who cannot find a good job, I agree that you must be careful.

I like my degree. I love archaeology. I did something that made me happy.But it didn't do squat for my career.

As for the schedule, it's doable, but it's mostly trial and error. When I studied for my degree I also worked 2 jobs. It wasn't pleasant but I got it done.

Ah, that's why archaeology major was in my head.

There is a guy I'm thinking of who majored in History or Arabic, and he hasn't been able to find work at all.

The major can be very important.

Especially if one has student loans. I feel really bad for somebody who has over 50K in student loan debt and is unable to find a job.

MidwestUSA
I start in less than a week. I know exactly how much I will earn so I know what I can save for. To me it is thrilling to be able to save for things even as a student on a soon to be minimum wage job.

I start job two on a few weeks.

I am doing a correspondence course albeit just one, start full time with the changed degree on the 1st....

I feel very lucky that at least if I work hard at my jobs, I can save a LOT of money. I feel SO much better than if I would be working to merely put food on the table with absolutely no savings beyond that. It is great I can work and save without getting a degree/professional job, since most people need that sort of a job in order to save a penny.

Being able to save for things that give my life more meaning, such as overseas travel, will make working hard much more enjoyable.

If I can ask, what do you do right now? What are you giving up to take on these new jobs?

One correspondence course can't take up too much time, can it?

• Like 1
Bumaga vsyo sterpit

My God Leigh, you go on and on and on and on about your life. How can you stand it? I think you've written a novel by now. Do you have a deep psychological urge to talk about yourself as much as possible?

I think we gotta stop giving you exhaustive consultations on every minutia of your existence. What is this, The Bold and the Beautiful?

Edited by Bumaga vsyo sterpit
  • Like 4
  • Author

I want to work while I also get at least one degree under my belt, because I personally don't see me getting too far without some degree or qualification/

Where I live, most office jobs don't consider you without a degree.

Trust me, there are too few options for women my age without a degree OR at leats a diploma or two and connections....I cannot even get a job as a receptionist or secretary as they expect.. no *****, ALL reception/secretary jobs I have ever applied for DEMANDED you have at least 2 - 5 years experience in the SAME job....

I could not even get an interview to be a house keeper because I have never previously worked as one.

There are TOO MANY unskilled workers in Australia ALL going for waitress/food server and retail work. College students and workers who don't want to go to college ALL APPLY for those jobs, it is INSANE. So yeah you cannot just walk into a café, restaurant or retail outlet, dress nicely, and ask of they are looking for new staff. IT IS SO NOT LIKE THAT in 2014 where I live!

Trust me, it is AMAZING that I even got this full time job! I got it because I am good with kids, the families kids took a liking to me, and the family thought I was a nice and friendly, reliable girl.

I am even more thrilled that while I work full time, I have a shot at bettering my education and qualification portfolio... I can work on getting myself more options, while I also work hard to earn money in the first place.

The degree will merely open more doors for me, maybe not even in the field that I am passionate about initially, but I know for a FACT that more places will at least interview me once I have a degree, opposed to NOW when literally NO companies interview me besides cafes, restaurants, and retail outlets.

Trust me, the vast majority of people who do not "know someone" MUST have a degree or diploma under their belt to even be considered for most jobs that are not sales/commission based...... And for secretarial and reception work, you MUST have experience before they will even interview you, the competition here is MORE fierce than people realise...

I am under no illusions that it will be easy going from no work to full time work AND full time study.

It is worth it though, this is the BEST thing that I can aspire for! To work full time and also study towards even better opportunities.

I may have to quit the second job. I think I can do it though.

• Author
If I can ask, what do you do right now? What are you giving up to take on these new jobs?

One correspondence course can't take up too much time, can it?

I am mentally preparing myself, it is a big deal to go from part time work and part time study, to full time study and full time work.

I am also asking for all the tips and advice that I can, from others who worked full time whilst they studied.

I volunteer once a week and am studying for exams for my one course.

NYC-BigKat
Help guys.

I need tips on how to handle full time study and work.

And I mean full time.

I will not only be a live in nanny albeit in a very nice house/in a nice area and with a nice family (thankgod), BUT...I also got a job at a patisserie. They said they are going to work around my hours that I am available, which is during the day from 10 - 2, and weekends. I will also be volunteering for one hour per week/helping a child improve his reading. I love it.

So I get my evenings off from about 7 ish....I am a night owl so I was thinking to study from 7 until 11. Then cram study for 6 to 7 hours during my weekends since I have WEEKENDS OFF from the nanny job. I suppose that will be my time to study. Evenings and weekends. With work during the day and on days off from the patisserie gig I will study.

Should I have a small energy drink prior to study or will that hinder me form sleeping and in turn, make me TIRED and crazy the next day:lmao:

Any tips?

I have been formerly lazy, living in a huge flat without my parents even living with me. They own it. I have lived here. I have never "had" to work before.

Uh...I don't think you'r gonna make it. This sounds very very tough to do & I know I cant handle it at all :o. I'm already worried about a 10-11 hour job in the future which is really too much for me so doing 3 things at once is a little bit over the top & I wont even try to do any of that stuff.

It's kind of like working out at the gym.

If you set too high of goals, and can't manage, you'll end up hurting yourself by burning out, being discouraged, and possibly imploding. Like ripping some muscle or busting a disc in your back to put you out of commission setting yourself back from all the gains that may were achieved.

On the other hand, if you've managed most of the stuff that you're trying to do, but incrementally to increase the burden by tacking on... lets say one more task-- it might be realistic and doable. Even so, adding just one more task could be the breaking point.

I had my share of past failures after being too ambitious. It's good to be realistic. You'll save yourself the grief later on.

Taking leaps too big had been my weakness. Now I try to do one more everyday.

• Like 4
  • Author

And travel has made my life better.

For me, it does increase the quality of life.

I am happier in general because of my overseas travel.

Doing something you love even for 2 weeks a year does enhance your life.

• Like 1
  • Author

And good idea about increasing my load more gradually.

I am not starting t h 3 second job for another month or so.

And travel has made my life better.

For me, it does increase the quality of life.

I am happier in general because of my overseas travel.

Doing something you love even for 2 weeks a year does enhance your life.

It'd be a very nice break from the monotonous droning we call life, to recharge one's batteries and opening our mind to the many delights the world has to offer. Even if it's a paid trip or to volunteer.

Who knows. One might just decide to move away permanently from this all to feed that hunger for adventure.

• Like 1

Are you being employed cash in hand or proper with tax file number and all that? I'd just be careful about your rights.have you signed a contract?

I know everything sounds like sunshine and roses right now, but you need to calm down! Lol. You need to start this job first and your degree and see how you feel. It's a pretty big commitment. Studying is hard. Working is hard. I was always tired in Uni. You need time to yourself to veg out. Are you going to have that at this house? Do you get a room to yourself?

Good luck. Living in Australia is pretty good. I managed to score a $75k job after my honours degree. May the employment Gods smile upon you.

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine
It's kind of like working out at the gym.

If you set too high of goals, and can't manage, you'll end up hurting yourself by burning out, being discouraged, and possibly imploding. Like ripping some muscle or busting a disc in your back to put you out of commission setting yourself back from all the gains that may were achieved.

On the other hand, if you've managed most of the stuff that you're trying to do, but incrementally to increase the burden by tacking on... lets say one more task-- it might be realistic and doable. Even so, adding just one more task could be the breaking point.

I had my share of past failures after being too ambitious. It's good to be realistic. You'll save yourself the grief later on.

Taking leaps too big had been my weakness. Now I try to do one more everyday.

Couldn't have said it better myself. My weakness in life is taking leaps too big too. My mind wants more than my body can handle. It even took 3 tries for the gym to stick (first 2 tries, years apart., I ended up hurting myself from over-doing it and had to give it up....this time - I went slowly :cool:).

• Like 1
  • Author

Well I've given up energy drinks.

There are a few big lifestyle changes I need to make.....

I haven't been to a gym or worked on my health since I had an eating disorder. I like my curvy body type a lot and don't want to be thin again. However, I would love to feel healthier and function better.

I don't want to go for daily runs or eat a low calorie clean diet.. but I want to try to go for daily walks since I love listening to music and walking is my favorite time to do it.

Plus instead of living on energy drinks, cheese and cracked and pasta, I want to just eat more normal, balanced meals.

In order to fulfill my new dress of working full time as well as studying full time, I am thinking a lot more about how important it will be for me to be healthy and we'll rested.......

I don't want to my flawless gym junkie clean waiting body back. I would just LOVE to be healthy. My sleep sucks and often with I felt more well.

I would love my glowing, healthy skin back too.

learning_slowly

My dad always said to me work hard when you're young and relax when you're old. I ignored it and partied a lot and now wish I had done more when I was younger. So go for it if you can do it.

However, bear in mind you will need some time to play!

And also some activities need you to be younger to do them e.g. alot of sports do have age limits due to limited joint strength etc.

So don't miss out on opportunities that may enrich your life too.

• Like 1
  • Author

Wtf. ...

I just got a call from the patisserie. It's a new patisserie and they asked me of I would like to come in for a few hours to help get the place ready to open.

Are they going to pay me?

They better be.. It's a bit uncouth to expect me to travel nearly an hour there, negotiate a very difficult bus route (I had to make 3 phone calls because it is such a difficult place to get to), and all this for free?

I think they will pay me though.

• Author

They did ring today and asked last minute if i was available.

Of course I said yes. That's what you're supposed to do right? Bend over backwards to help your work out even if you may not get paid?

UpwardForward
Wtf. ...

I just got a call from the patisserie. It's a new patisserie and they asked me of I would like to come in for a few hours to help get the place ready to open.

Are they going to pay me?

They better be.. It's a bit uncouth to expect me to travel nearly an hour there, negotiate a very difficult bus route (I had to make 3 phone calls because it is such a difficult place to get to), and all this for free?

I think they will pay me though.

You don't have a car, to get around in?

Of course I said yes. That's what you're supposed to do right? Bend over backwards to help your work out even if you may not get paid?

No, most people don't work for free.

What makes you think they won't pay you? Did you agree to an hourly rate when you took the job?

MidwestUSA

Yes, you bend over backwards to let them know you're going to be a valuable employee from the get go. But no, you don't do it for free. You shouldn't even have to question that.

I thought you had a car?

Safe travels to you.

Eternal Sunshine

You should have clarified that you will be paid. You don't want to get taken advantage of.