Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

creighton0123
Sigh, people seem to think you can just go in and make a decent living without a degree.

I basically picked what I was passionate about and took the path I needed that is the MOST likely path to result in employment in that field.

I am not sure why people assume there is any other way to achieving your dreams other than hard work and luck/opportunity?

It's more about availability and pay. The science degrees often pay substantially more and there are generally more jobs available. In many American cities, for example, computer science-related industries are experiencing a worker shortage.

In other industries, however, the degree is an elevated status. While teachers might not need a degree, there are so many teachers and so few jobs that the degree is a must to reduce the pool of qualified applicants.

• Like 1
creighton0123

Leigh,

I was one of the lucky Americans who had parents of means to pay for my tuition. My two sisters and myself share between us three bachelors degrees and two masters degrees for $150k USD (mine being 110k of us). My parents are able to pay the monthly for me, but at the time when I was in college, I was in a similar situation as you. I had to work two jobs at near-minimum wage (back when minimum wage was $5.50 an hour).

I had one summer where I was a 6 day a week letter carrier and worked off hours in the local supermarket - pushing an easy 50 hours a week in work alone.

In the end, however, it was all worth it. Out of college 8 years ago, I started at 63k USD and am now up to 120k USD.

Without the degree, the burden on my parents would be less, but my standard of living would be so much worse.

You can do it. You have the drive and are planning out how to achieve your goals. It'll be hard work, but two or three years from now you'll be so glad that you sacrificed during that time to improve your standing.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks so much for the last response.

I am not going into a high paying field, I want to help the disadvantaged.

I will make more than the minimum wage I am currently earning though.

Still though, I am VERY grateful I at least HAVE the two job offers. I had to start my first job today, at a patisserie.

I am very lucky to have this job AND the live in nanny job, I will be earning minimum wage PLUS getting my food and living expenses paid for by the family I am due to be the live in nanny with.

I know my degree won't exactly get me a high pay check at first, but I will be thrilled just to HAVE the degree; in Australia, the HECS student loan scheme we have is affordable enough to repay to warrant going after your passion, even if it is not high paid.

The study in addition to the full time work I am very lucky to get serves to give me hope... I simply want a job where I feel like I am making a difference to the people who need it the most.

There are always options to further ones education in order to chase a higher paycheck. An option for me one day, once I get my first degree and find work in community development style work, is to; get a masters. They are only 1 - 2 years for many masters.

I feel VERY lucky to even GET full time work in this current economy, which is why I need all the tips and encouragement I can get in order to make the most of it! I am lucky to even have this opportunity....

It was once so easy to get waitress, minimum wage style jobs! Now it can be hard.

• Like 1
  • Author

Unlike MOST college students, I am working to save, not just to live......

The family that I am moving in with is paying my living expenses; anything extra I will save, which will be about 400 - 600 per week.

I simply want to get a full time job in an area I feel strongly about. I don't think it is too out of reach.

The full time work will allow me to stash thousands away so I am more comfortable when I graduate and can fall back one some money, since I won't likely get employed right away.

• Author
So you went for it? How did it go? :)

It was great. I like working and anything within my ability I always end up enjoying.

I move in with the family on Saturday and start my nanny job then.

Eternal Sunshine
It was great. I like working and anything within my ability I always end up enjoying.

I move in with the family on Saturday and start my nanny job then.

Will they pay you?

• Author

I keep telling myself that these hours at the patisserie are only until I get my degree and can get an office job. And no, you cannot just get an office here without qualifications or knowing someone.

I hope people realize that cafe workers are not all there because they lack intelligence or ambition.

I did well at school. This is just until I get a tertiary education and I can pursue a career. I may not get a job after graduation but if I do reasonably well and volunteer in my field then I have a good chance.

Do people realise that the people that serve them are sometimes actually more intelligent than they are? Or do they assume we are dumb?

I have not seen one derogatory post about your job at the patisserie Leigh. Stop being so defensive :)

• Like 3
I have not seen one derogatory post about your job at the patisserie Leigh. Stop being so defensive :)

Looks like I'm just in time then.

What the hell is a patisserie?

Never heard of it. What does it do / sell?

Dude, pastries! Yum!

UpwardForward

French pastries.

And I would rather get into these culinary fields than office work.

Ahhhh baked goods. For some reason I was thinking of something to do with dairy farming.

• Author

It's a cafe that sells cakes and... tasty foods I guess.

Plus I'll be a batista.

I hope people realise that many people like me often study and do these jobs until we can get the profession jobs.....

Not that there is anything wrong with any individual that chooses to stay in similar jobs. But the fact is, other people's perceptions of such people are often negative.

When one operations manager talked down to me because I was serving drinks at a concert I wanted to tell him to........ go jump. But I hate confrontation and always bite my tongue and smile.

In this day and age it is quiet ignorant to assume that us baristas/cafe/patisserie workers are "dumb" simply because we are on the low scale of the job hiarchy.

Outside of work people view me as middle class since I have expensive clothes and am well dressed and my llifestyle is not low class. My entire family is middle class so I don't exactly feel "low class" simply because I had issues that hindered me from graduating college at the usual age.........

• Like 1
UpwardForward
It's a cafe that sells cakes and... tasty foods I guess.

Plus I'll be a batista.

I hope people realise that many people like me often study and do these jobs until we can get the profession jobs.....

Not that there is anything wrong with any individual that chooses to stay in similar jobs. But the fact is, other people's perceptions of such people are often negative.

When one operations manager talked down to me because I was serving drinks at a concert I wanted to tell him to........ go jump. But I hate confrontation and always bite my tongue and smile.

In this day and age it is quiet ignorant to assume that us baristas/cafe/patisserie workers are "dumb" simply because we are on the low scale of the job hiarchy.

Outside of work people view me as middle class since I have expensive clothes and am well dressed and my llifestyle is not low class. My entire family is middle class so I don't exactly feel "low class" simply because I had issues that hindered me from graduating college at the usual age.........

I haven't read of anyone on here suggesting or saying demeaning things about occupations.

It is you who seem to constantly feel a need to pump yourself up.

Other than that, if you do not have a vehicle, I would think a car/transportaion and stability - should come before worrying about Others' 'travel' schedules.

• Author

So I rang the bus sschedule customer service line. They have me the route to get to work and back.

It looks like I will be working there most days when the kids are at school and day care.

I worked today and yesterday and I'm due for an 8 hour training thing tomorrow for 8 hours.

I love working. I hate studying and just bumming at home all day.

• Author
I haven't read of anyone on here suggesting or saying demeaning things about occupations.

Other than that, if you do not have a vehicle, I would think a car/transportaion and stability - should come before worrying about Others' 'travel' schedules.

It will take a few years to become financially stable

I intend to spend one more year on one last 5k trip and a nos job. I will earn enough for those two things within 12 months. With just the nanny ful time position alone since I'm not paying rent or food.

That's without my second job or wweekend event work salary.

As long as I keep these two jobs I'll afford those last two things I want and then I want to start putting everything away for future; towards becoming stable.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to get a couple more things before saving it all towards a mortgage and car.

I'm doing what makes me happy. Travelling makes me happy and keeps mme in an elevated mood well after I return......

But my plan has always been to have one last trip and then save for my future. I don't need to worry about losing a job and ending up on the streets. I have the safety net of my parents if I ever lose a job or something terrible happens.

Us Australians didn't see anything wron with opting to travel eallier in life and then saving a llittle later. Many young Australians travel. It's very coming here.

Eternal Sunshine

Leigh, during my uni degree I worked at a fruit and vegie shop. Who cares?

If I was in Sydney, I would come in for a cake :p

• Like 2
MidwestUSA

Agree. Leigh, what on earth is the root of your insecurity and/or embarrassment about what you're doing? Why the endless need to explain yourself again and again and again? No one here has put you down. NO ONE. You came here for tips and support, and you're getting it.

Is it your parents? Did you have some sort of pivotal moment with them? I can't for the life of me believe that you're surrounded by random people or peripheral friends who would constantly put you down for where you are in life. So what? Tell them to eff off. You're only 27. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and disregard whoever is forcing you to defend yourself.

And if you're bringing it all upon yourself, maybe it's time to have a chat with someone (your therapist). Just keep moving forward, but don't set your goals so high and so far in advance! Keep things manageable and take pride in each accomplishment as it comes.

• Like 1
  • Author
Leigh, during my uni degree I worked at a fruit and vegie shop. Who cares?

If I was in Sydney, I would come in for a cake :p

I just don't want people to assume that a woman my age working there is because she doesn't have anything going for her.

They need to hire a manager and more staff. I wa asked to be mmanager of I could work full time from 6 am but I can't.

• Author
Agree. Leigh, what on earth is the root of your insecurity and/or embarrassment about what you're doing? Why the endless need to explain yourself again and again and again? No one here has put you down. NO ONE. You came here for tips and support, and you're getting it.

Is it your parents? Did you have some sort of pivotal moment with them? I can't for the life of me believe that you're surrounded by random people or peripheral friends who would constantly put you down for where you are in life. So what? Tell them to eff off. You're only 27. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and disregard whoever is forcing you to defend yourself.

And if you're bringing it all upon yourself, maybe it's time to have a chat with someone (your therapist). Just keep moving forward, but don't set your goals so high and so far in advance! Keep things manageable and take pride in each accomplishment as it comes.

My parents and friends don't think where I work is a indicative of my intellect.

My friends and family are great.

It is just me that is embarrassed that at my age I haven't graduated gotten a professional job yet. I had a lot of issues.

MidwestUSA
My parents and friends don't think where I work is a indicative of my intellect.

My friends and family are great.

It is just me that is embarrassed that at my age I haven't graduated gotten a professional job yet. I had a lot of issues.

Well, I'm actually happy to hear you admit that! Now you need to find a way to get over it. Better a late start than not at all. You'll find plenty of people here who can relate; listen to them.

Just don't bite off more than you can chew. This going from one correspondence course to full time school and two jobs just sounds overwhelming. Don't focus on how much money you think you should or shouldn't be saving, learn to make what you have work for you. Get your feet wet and find time to hopefully enjoy what you're doing in the process. You're not going to make up for those lost years in three.

You don't have to impress anyone, you just have to have inner peace. Everything else will sort itself out.

• Like 2