amaysngrace
I agree it's their life, but bad advice should be identified as bad advice. I don't like seatbelt laws, but I like public service ads that convince people it's wise to wear belts.

This article is the equivalent of Rolling Stone extolling the benefits of smoking.

They already have a bunch of fitness magazines out there. You can be healthy and carry extra weight. Smoking is way worse than being overweight.

Do you know that some people don't quit smoking because they fear weight gain?

Maybe some smokers will see People magazine and become encouraged to quit because a few extra pounds isn't hideous and it will help change their perception and they'll go for it.

You just never know.

• Like 1
They already have a bunch of fitness magazines out there. You can be healthy and carry extra weight. Smoking is way worse than being overweight.

You can't carry that much fat and be healthy - this isn't an athlete that tips the scales a little heavy, she's a tub of lard being celebrated as a role model.

Even when I was super fit, I was a little heavy; at my best I had a 28" waist and a 52" chest; that's a pretty big BMI, and not a scrap of fat. Not in the 'obese' zone, but given just height and weight a medical professional would have been cautious. I could run , lift, and was basically a physical specimen. Then I started working in CS. This sort of body does not respond well to long office hours, it's supposed to be out fighting Vikings.

Some people are just going to be bigger (this is a good place to insert an "I get that a lot", or "that's what she said") but this gal is way past that.

She probably would carry a lot of weight well, and be healthy, but ... no.

Do you know that some people don't quit smoking because they fear weight gain?

By the way, one of my very good friends was like this - his Dr told him he was being foolish, and eventually he stopped. Then he started eating better. Now he's considering whether he can reduce his drinking, or if that's a bridge too far.

• Like 1
amaysngrace
You can't carry that much fat and be healthy - this isn't an athlete that tips the scales a little heavy, she's a tub of lard being celebrated as a role model.

Maybe we are heading towards a famine? Maybe only people like her will survive it and the rest of us will all shrivel away because we won't eat the food supply that's left because we think it's nasty and we didn't have enough stored weight. :(

• Like 2
Maybe we are heading towards a famine? Maybe only people like her will survive it and the rest of us will all shrivel away because we won't eat the food supply that's left because we think it's nasty and we didn't have enough stored weight. :(

Maybe, however in a prolonged famine fat people actually survive poorly; their body is not used to doing with less, apparently. Maybe she could harvest it and use it to charge a Tesla or something green like that. Technically she IS 'sequestering carbon' I reckon.

• Like 1
lollipopspot

I am currently on an experimental drug (it might be available now) that is pretty interesting, it essentially tells your brain that "no, he's had something to eat, ignore the empty feeling in the stomach, we're all fine here".

One thing it allowed me to understand is that I (and others I suspect) eat for a number of different reasons. There is actual hunger, and then there is habit. In addition, eating is fun, food is nice and it's pleasant to eat. Having the practice to identify all this has been really useful, and I've been reducing my dose and just getting used to embracing hunger to a degree.

What is the drug called?

I don't see fat men posing on magazine covers in their underwear saying "look at me, I'm sexy"

James Corden does, god I hate that guy. A Brit trying to make it in the US, in case you don't know him.

I think the whole thing is part of a bigger issue in the West: suppressing competition and pushing 'self esteem'. As someone said, the 'beautiful snowflake' argument. Serves me to be honest, makes my life easy with men, far less competition.

But seriously, if there's a sympathetic bone in your body, like the same bone that wouldn't let a little child starve...are you so completely removed from sensibility and what...dare I say, what a man should "expect" (without being beaten by 10 feminist bats) that you would just allow this kind of situation continue on? do you really need a woman who is double your size to be on the front page of a magazine so you don't feel fat or ugly about yourself or your body? are these the type of women you want your own daughters looking up to and feeling that it's "ok" to look that way, and all that mumbo-jumbo about BMI and "healthy" is just a farce and you should just be happy for "who you are" and "love yourself" no matter what you look like?

This is a slight overreaction. The apocalypse isn't coming yet, don't get hysterical.

There is vulgarity and brain-washing and some kind of wrong message everywhere on every magazine cover and billboard. This is nothing.

• Like 1

People do stuff all the time that increases the chance of them dying.

They smoke, they take drugs, they engage in seriously dangerous sports, yet they do not receive the derision that is reserved for "fat" people.

Does everyone laugh at base jumpers, does the public spend hours online shaming them for dicing with death? NO

So we can go on all night about "health" and how "fatties" are eating themselves to DEATH, but this is not about health, this is about some perceived superiority over a section of the community that doesn't conform to the norm, a section of the community that is easily identified by how they look.

We can no longer use disability, race or gender as an excuse to throw big stones at our fellow life travellers to show our disgust, but put on a few pounds and it is open season.

Everyone can take pot shots with no worries, and of course the "fatties" deserve it...

• Like 7
thefooloftheyear
People do stuff all the time that increases the chance of them dying.

They smoke, they take drugs, they engage in seriously dangerous sports, yet they do not receive the derision that is reserved for "fat" people.

Does everyone laugh at base jumpers, does the public spend hours online shaming them for dicing with death? NO

So we can go on all night about "health" and how "fatties" are eating themselves to DEATH, but this is not about health, this is about some perceived superiority over a section of the community that doesn't conform to the norm, a section of the community that is easily identified by how they look.

We can no longer use disability, race or gender as an excuse to throw big stones at our fellow life travellers to show our disgust, but put on a few pounds and it is open season.

Everyone can take pot shots with no worries, and of course the "fatties" deserve it...

Frustrated short guys should be around at any moment to challenge this...:laugh:

TFY

• Like 1
loveweary11
I have to disagree here. Men are becoming more and more sexualized and body image has become a male issue as well.

And it's one of the reasons why body shaming in every form should stop. Body shaming has become a bigger issue for all genders. People fat shame men just as much as they fat shame women now.

Hopefully, body acceptance can start with women and men will follow. Or the other way around. Whichever really.

I still have to say, as I've said in similar threads, that this body image shaming is a good thing for both sexes.

I listened to it and started building my upper body lifting weights every other day. I already do enough active things with my legs so they match and my heart stays good.

With an improved body, I am more appealing than I used to be to the opposite sex.

Me being scrawny or fat isn't going to be considered attractive to women, ever. Your biology is geared to find a certain type of shape attractive.

Same goes for men. Nothing will ever change what is attractive to us and fat isn't it. It's driven by biology.

The side benefit to the body shaming is that we all, as a society, become more healthy when we listen to it.

We never achieve the results we are striving for, but through the struggle, we end up far, far more healthy due to all the exercise and nutrition.

Maleficent
I still have to say, as I've said in similar threads, that this body image shaming is a good thing for both sexes.

I listened to it and started building my upper body lifting weights every other day. I already do enough active things with my legs so they match and my heart stays good.

With an improved body, I am more appealing than I used to be to the opposite sex.

Me being scrawny or fat isn't going to be considered attractive to women, ever. Your biology is geared to find a certain type of shape attractive.

Same goes for men. Nothing will ever change what is attractive to us and fat isn't it. It's driven by biology.

The side benefit to the body shaming is that we all, as a society, become more healthy when we listen to it.

We never achieve the results we are striving for, but through the struggle, we end up far, far more healthy due to all the exercise and nutrition.

For you. It was a good thing for you.

You really can't project that on everyone else and there is no reason why encouraging people in a healthy lifestyle should be less efficient than shaming them out of unhealthy lifestyles.

It boggles my mind to see the kick some people get out of destroying people's self esteem.

• Like 4

Yes but do we as a society listen to it?

You listen because you have an agenda, you want a steady stream of gfs, as you are 40ish and single.

If you were a dad with a few kids, a hard manual job and busy family life with a working wife living on cheap ready meals and processed food, with the odd takeway, would you be so keen on working on your legs?

Would you be so keen on that "healthy" paleo diet or the protein shakes and expensive food supplements? Probably not.

The % of obese people is rising not decreasing, so has the fat shaming of the past few decades really done any good? I guess not.

I think excessive weight is a dreadful problem health wise, but I do not believe fat shaming is the answer, nor is promoting impossibly thin adolescent body types as role models for adult women.

Both engender hopelessness and once that state is reached then any measures to reverse the process are deemed futile.

The attitude is "Why diet, when that huge chocolate cake in the fridge is beckoning and I will never be that thin anyway"

• Like 9

And what about those for who it works counterproductive? Or is theit demise over body shaming a desired outcome in the quest to purge humanity of all that's flawed? Weed out the weakling?

PrettyEmily77

I don't think there's a fat revolution, and I really don't think people are going to see this lady and want to emulate her.

All it says to me is that if it's okay to have unrealistically stick thin models be constantly paraded on mag covers, why not have 280llbs women on there too for a bit of counter-balance? Neither look healthy to me anyway, and most men I know aren't attracted to either as well.

I'm slender myself (at 5'2 I don't really have a choice) but I've never aspired to be thin like every single model to have ever graced mag covers or runways, and have no plans to look like Tess either. I just look after myself and my health and try not to judge what other people do with their lives.

If having Tess on the cover of a mag helps heavier people feel more part of society and therefore helps them want to make more efforts to get to a healthier state and conform even more, then why not?

• Like 7
Michelle ma Belle
I don't think there's a fat revolution, and I really don't think people are going to see this lady and want to emulate her.

All it says to me is that if it's okay to have unrealistically stick thin models be constantly paraded on mag covers, why not have 280llbs women on there too for a bit of counter-balance? Neither look healthy to me anyway, and most men I know aren't attracted to either as well.

I'm slender myself (at 5'2 I don't really have a choice) but I've never aspired to be thin like every single model to have ever graced mag covers or runways, and have no plans to look like Tess either. I just look after myself and my health and try not to judge what other people do with their lives.

If having Tess on the cover of a mag helps heavier people feel more part of society and therefore helps them want to make more efforts to get to a healthier state and conform even more, then why not?

Very thoughtful and sensitive post. My thoughts exactly.

Thank you!!

• Like 1
PrettyEmily77
Very thoughtful and sensitive post. My thoughts exactly.

Thank you!!

Thank you Michelle! I really can't see how sweeping generalisations and finger pointing and judgemental attitudes are going to help anyone who is serious about getting healthy. Support and empathy all the way.

• Like 3
Yes but do we as a society listen to it?

You listen because you have an agenda, you want a steady stream of gfs, as you are 40ish and single.

If you were a dad with a few kids, a hard manual job and busy family life with a working wife living on cheap ready meals and processed food, with the odd takeway, would you be so keen on working on your legs?

Would you be so keen on that "healthy" paleo diet or the protein shakes and expensive food supplements? Probably not.

The % of obese people is rising not decreasing, so has the fat shaming of the past few decades really done any good? I guess not.

I think excessive weight is a dreadful problem health wise, but I do not believe fat shaming is the answer, nor is promoting impossibly thin adolescent body types as role models for adult women.

Both engender hopelessness and once that state is reached then any measures to reverse the process are deemed futile.

The attitude is "Why diet, when that huge chocolate cake in the fridge is beckoning and I will never be that thin anyway"

Used to I agreed with the argument that it was cheaper getting process foods. Since I have been married to a dietitian I have since been to places where getting healthy food is actually cheaper than the processed food in some instances. The problem lies with the food industry and not the people.

• Like 2
The problem lies with the food industry and not the people.

Yes that is another BIG issue as to why the populace are obese.

We get the healthy message, but there is a huge underlying current in the media of spoiling yourself with some "treat" that is all about excess sugar and fat and making money for big corporations.

Here in the UK one of the biggest recent annual TV shows is the The Great British Bake off, where "the country's best amateur bakers are put to the test for cake-baking, pastry and bread-making and patisserie skills."

People up and down the country go baking mad and copy all sorts of delicious sugary, fatty treats for their families, just like "granny used to make" - so much for healthy eating...

Yes that is another BIG issue as to why the populace are obese.

We get the healthy message, but there is a huge underlying current in the media of spoiling yourself with some "treat" that is all about excess sugar and fat and making money for big corporations.

Here in the UK one of the biggest recent annual TV shows is the The Great British Bake off, where "the country's best amateur bakers are put to the test for cake-baking, pastry and bread-making and patisserie skills."

People up and down the country go baking mad and copy all sorts of delicious sugary, fatty treats for their families, just like "granny used to make" - so much for healthy eating...

Not even spoiling yourself. In the US the food lobby is a big lobby then people associated with these food companies are in government like Clarence Thomas and Hillary Clinton and Donald Rumsfeld. Even had a senate hearing in the 70s about diet and disease. The 80s stated the whole fat free craze but look people still got fat. Taking fat out of food the fat had to be replaced with sugar because the food without fat tasted bad. Even with skim milk the milk industry had a cheese campaign so they use the fat they had to take out to make skim milk. Well it wasn't sugar that got used but high fructose corn syrup. Everything you eat has some form of that in it. The US government subsidizes corn so that is why it's in everything you eat and soy too.

Is Sugar More Addictive Than Cocaine? | Here & Now

interesting article about sugar

• Like 2
WasOtherWoman
I have the sense that many people are giving up on health and fitness. They can't stop shoving food down their mouths so they try to make fat desirable. You know, like smoking is desirable.

All about that bass.

There is nothing sexier than a woman with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. So why not add fat. Woohoo! You have to appreciate the irony of men like me in their fifties who are busting ass to stay fit and be as presentable as possible for potential mates, while younger people who could make twice the gains with half the effort, just give up and let themselves go. Just too much work eh?

Let's not limit that to "potential mates" My husband and I are both in our 50's. I crossfit 4x a week and weigh the same as I did in high school. My husband runs and lifts also 3 x a week. We stay looking great for each other. People mistake our grandkids for our kids :).

Why only do these things for a potential mate? I get really irritated when I read that someone has separated and will now begin working out. Why not look fabulous for each other??

The message is eat less fat and sugar but at this point we are addicted to sugar like cocaine addict. The average person goes above and beyond the normal daily intake for sugar. Sugar fires up the same things in the brain that cocaine does.

• Like 3
Let's not limit that to "potential mates" My husband and I are both in our 50's. I crossfit 4x a week and weigh the same as I did in high school. My husband runs and lifts also 3 x a week. We stay looking great for each other. People mistake our grandkids for our kids :).

Why only do these things for a potential mate? I get really irritated when I read that someone has separated and will now begin working out. Why not look fabulous for each other??

It's not why not. I think the thing is why change if the other person is ok with it.

acrosstheuniverse

For her size, she looks great. I don't find her any more 'repulsive' to look at than a skeletal model, to be honest. Whether you respect someone and want them to be confident and happy in themselves shouldn't depend on their outer self, it should be based on the fact they're a goddamn human being with feelings, not whether you find it aesthetically pleasing or not.

I don't think a model like Tess is going to do a damn thing to 'encourage' obesity. Have you seen how many people are already obese and overweight, even back when there was no support for plus size models? If she even makes a ripple it'll be to show larger girls that they ARE worthy of looking and feeling beautiful, and if that makes one teenager or young woman hate herself just a little bit less then fanbloodytastic. Society already treats and judges overweight people appallingly, people are overreacting if they think one model is going to undo that and cause previously slim and healthy women to suddenly let loose and pile weight on. No, she's not healthy, neither are women with a BMI so low their periods stop, neither are heavy smokers. That's irrelevant and none of my business.

I actually find that poor self esteem and confidence can contribute towards people overeating and not even attempting to diet as they feel so disgusting they don't think they're worth the effort and think even if they lose weight but stay overweight they'll still be seen as ugly and fat so why even bother? I actually think that having a role model for overweight women out there, even though most people haven't heard of her, is a good thing. She isn't promoting obesity, she's promoting being self confidence and believing you're beautiful and having self worth. Some of the comments on this thread are so disgusting and hurtful, I am a very slim woman with a conventionally 'attractive' body but have friends who are overweight or obese and the thought of them having to go through listening to this kind of awful, nasty stuff is heartbreaking. A person's entire worth is not their outer casing.

• Like 5