CrystalCastles
Oh god...

I remember an article in my college newsletter one time, something along the lines of "What men and women think about each other at the gym"

and some of the men's comments towards women... my goodness I can't believe that stuff actually got published.

"Fork. Face. Stop"

"Some of those chicks should stay on the treadmill a bit longer..."

:eek:

This is sad. People should not be discouraged from seeking active lifestyles. If someone wants to workout, get in shape, etc, that's fantastic and they should be encouraged.

I remember a friend of a friend, who was obese, started going to my gym. After two years, he lost a lot of weight, looks great, and I bet he feels good too. I have cousins and aunts who are very overweight, they spend all day sitting around eating and they have heart problems, headaches, they feel lethargic and tired all the time, they've had mini-strokes before, so clearly leading that kind of lifestyle is a health hazard (no, these cousins and aunts don't have thyroid problems, they just eat and aren't active). I think that if someone wants to put effort into working out, they should not have that nasty stuff written about them.

I have to agree.

I've never had a weight problem although I have had bulimia of which I'm still in recovery even after 10 years. I am astounded at the level of intolerance and even cruelty that is showcased in this thread and on all the other threads that have dealt with weight issues.

It's one thing to have a physical preference in terms of what you're attracted to sexually speaking but it's another thing to sit there and hurl insults and make blanket degrading remarks about someone and something you know little about.

Just because some of you don't have to deal with weight issues either by choice or by genetics doesn't give you the right to act like your sh*t doesn't stink. I mean, are YOU perfect? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what the big issues is anyway. What the hell are you all afraid of?

Agreed. This thread escalated pretty quickly.

Michelle ma Belle
People thinking this is OK and having their feet carved off at the ripe old age of 50? Kidney dialysis? Early death?

You know, crap like this article encouraging behavior that results in little things like that.

I'm not genetically thin, I have to work hard to stay even healthy, given my work and schedule. It's not easy but it's required, and again, if anyone reading this is that big don't get depressed, see a doctor. They can help you, all you have to do is follow the instructions.

But AGAIN, how exactly does any of this directly affect YOU?

Do you seriously think a plus sized model on the cover of one magazine is going to launch an epidemic of women who've been dieting their whole lives in order to be thin and "attractive" to suddenly burn their gym memberships and swap their clean eating for McDonald's three times a day?

Give me a freakin' break :rolleyes:

• Like 4
I've been close to her size before, I will tell you that.

We all love to watch the fat comedian, but ever notice how young they die? Good for you not being that big any more; I've been big and thin; thin is better, but it's hard to do while working all the time.

There are some fantastic medical advances that can help, and sometimes just a doctor chiding every couple months can help.

One of my co-workers is what I would call thick, but she's also very healthy looking. She, to use an old fashioned term, carries it well. She's strong, muscle under that skin. Not my personal thing, but not at all unattractive. She can move like a human.

This model, she is absolutely swimming in lard. There's nothing good about it and it saddens me that people actually think it should be celebrated. This line of influence will kill people.

• Like 1

How does anything said in this thread directly affect YOU?

Well, she certainly has dimples. Everywhere.

Where's my harpoon, Queequeg?

Wow. Really?

Fine. You're revulsed by by obese women. Was the harpoon comment really necessary?

Look, if modeling makes someone like this Tess Holiday woman happy, and it doesn't impact your life or anyone else's life directly, then why the vicious remark? Kudos to her for embracing her body.

To Ninja (OP), what does feminism have to do with obese women celebrating their obesity as an artform (via modeling)? Why do men resort to chastizing women as feminists when they do something like what Tess Holiday's done?

In this Huffington Post UK article, Tess Holiday says:

“I understand not everyone understands what I’m about," she told HuffPost UK. "But to me it’s such a simple concept. It’s all about loving your body regardless of your size and chasing your dreams."

See? No feminism. Just an obese woman following her dream of modeling.

• Like 1

I don't think it's cool to make fat women feel horrible about their appearance. I've never been into overweight women, but if they can score with men, more power to 'em.

I just think it's unhealthy for Americans in general to lower the bar and accept something that we know as unhealthy as being somehow healthy. There's all kinds of research out there indicating that obesity results in morbidity. That doesn't meant that fat people are bad, or that they're lazy, or that they're unworthy of our respect otherwise. But we shouldn't b.s. ourselves into accepting it as the standard for how we should mature. Obesity is the result of a bad lifestyle, and we should try to avoid it if we can. But if people are obese...well, who care?

• Like 3

Do you seriously think a plus sized model on the cover of one magazine is going to launch an epidemic of women who've been dieting their whole lives in order to be thin and "attractive" to suddenly burn their gym memberships and swap their clean eating for McDonald's three times a day?

Give me a freakin' break :rolleyes:

Actually, yes.

She's making her size, and per poor health, socially acceptable. For those who don't make their health a top priority and instead care more about stigma and outward appearances, they're going to be less embarrassed by their bodies and more likely to take care of themselves if they know it's perfectly socially acceptable to be morbidly obese.

She's not curvy. She's not chubby. She's morbidly obese. She is literally killing herself with food. That shouldn't be applauded at all.

And I say this as someone who's carrying some extra weight. I've struggled with my weight all my life, and when I saw her on The Today Show the other morning, I was still mortified.

• Like 1
I don't think it's cool to make fat women feel horrible about their appearance. I've never been into overweight women, but if they can score with men, more power to 'em.

I just think it's unhealthy for Americans in general to lower the bar and accept something that we know as unhealthy as being somehow healthy. There's all kinds of research out there indicating that obesity results in morbidity. That doesn't meant that fat people are bad, or that they're lazy, or that they're unworthy of our respect otherwise. But we shouldn't b.s. ourselves into accepting it as the standard for how we should mature. Obesity is the result of a bad lifestyle, and we should try to avoid it if we can. But if people are obese...well, who care?

This, this. Exactly this.

• Like 1
ColdandLonelyinAK
We all love to watch the fat comedian, but ever notice how young they die? Good for you not being that big any more; I've been big and thin; thin is better, but it's hard to do while working all the time.

There are some fantastic medical advances that can help, and sometimes just a doctor chiding every couple months can help.

One of my co-workers is what I would call thick, but she's also very healthy looking. She, to use an old fashioned term, carries it well. She's strong, muscle under that skin. Not my personal thing, but not at all unattractive. She can move like a human.

This model, she is absolutely swimming in lard. There's nothing good about it and it saddens me that people actually think it should be celebrated. This line of influence will kill people.

I'm really not trying to argue, but to say you have a problem with fat people solely because of their health... I just can't believe that.

That group of kids whom I used to walk by in middle school that laughed and pointed and called me "lardass" never once mentioned my possible high blood pressure or potential for diabetes.

At the end of the day, a LOT of fat shamers are simply disgusted by what they SEE.

Just stop trying to justify some of the comments I've seen in here. I foresee this thread being closed soon.

• Like 2
it doesn't impact your life or anyone else's life directly

But it does, for the reasons previously stated.

So, your harpoon comment makes sense now. You admit that you were once obese aka "big" too, like this model Tess Holiday. And you're currently not obese anymore. So, why rain on Tess Holiday's parade? She chooses to be obese (whether she can or wants to lose all that weight, is nobody's business to argue because it's her choice).

Kudos to her for embracing her body.

That's like congratulating an anorexic on starving herself right to the edge of death. Nope, won't do it.

Cheer her on while she rushes to the bathroom to purge those twinkies.

Gads, no way.

This is someone killing themselves and I'm not going to say it's OK, and encourage it as being somehow OK.

• Like 3
So, your harpoon comment makes sense now. You admit that you were once obese aka "big" too, like this model Tess Holiday. And you're currently not obese anymore. So, why rain on Tess Holiday's parade? She chooses to be obese (whether she can or wants to lose all that weight, is nobody's business to argue because it's her choice).

I have never been close to as fat as she is, but I have been too big to move as well as I like to. Taken to her level and it's a legitimate health problem, not something to celebrate.

But it does, for the reasons previously stated.

Tess Holiday's choice doesn't impact anyone's life who chooses not to support her goal of being an obese model. Live and let live. Life can be that simple. Why do people feel the need to complicate it?

If she wants to be an obese model then good for her.

What would anyone say if I posted a thread celebrating handicapped models? Would people post in that thread with both fists swinging insults and slander against handicapped people who choose to celebrate their handicap? That's what I see going on here.

todreaminblue
Oh, and about "courage" to go on some magazine cover?

Pleeeze....

Courage, grit, determination in getting your butt up and running, walking, moving your but...and doing it w/o demanding the world recognize you for it....And, doing it even when you're sore and tired.

Courage, grit, and determination in having some self-control and watching what you eat.

Courage, grit, and determination when I see amputees, women older than myself in several decades kickin' but. My fav podcaster is over 65 and that tiny winy lady got guns bigger than mine and has the honesty to admit that it's hard, but you "just do it"

So, pleeze, the definition of actual "courage" needs to have a 2nd look by some peeps,,,

courage gloria means different things to different people...and sometimes courage isnt visible to the eye like a limb blown off...its in the heart of the person who stand up in spite of fear and does what they wouldnt normally do.......

its about saying in spite of overwhelming opposition to a fact or a belief system you stand up and say yeah i dont agree.....and you voice your opinion.....its to hold conviction.....to recognizes differences and courage si gracious in the line fo fire....

and i have to say...i disagree with nearly everything you have stated...and as you do i have the right to share my opinion....regardless whether you agree with me...i dont need a second look as you have suggested in a scathing way.........i know what i wrote feels true to me...wouldnt write any other way....and i see courage.....feel courage in her stance.......wrote the word....courage....each to his own......deb

I'm really not trying to argue, but to say you have a problem with fat people solely because of their health... I just can't believe that.

No, it's an instinctive revulsion, the reason I'm angry enough to say something is that they are trying to say it's a GOOD thing to 'embrace' this - it's not. It's national health issue and if shaming is what it takes then we should do it, just like we treated smokers like lepers.

Tess Holiday's choice doesn't impact anyone's life who chooses not to support her goal of being an obese model. Live and let live. Life can be that simple. Why do people feel the need to complicate it?

What would anyone say if I posted a thread celebrating handicapped models? Would people post in that thread with both fists swinging insults and slander against handicapped people who choose to celebrate their handicap? That's what I see going on here.

If they were encouraging people to lie on the train tracks and have their legs severed then yeah, both fists swinging full on you bet.

ColdandLonelyinAK
No, it's an instinctive revulsion, the reason I'm angry enough to say something is that they are trying to say it's a GOOD thing to 'embrace' this - it's not. It's national health issue and if shaming is what it takes then we should do it, just like we treated smokers like lepers.

Let's just stop talking about the health aspect of this. You've never once addressed the harpoon comment which is what I've brought up several times. That is what I have a problem with, as well as others. You can't try to cover that up with health statements.

I feel like we're going around in circles here, so I wish you the best in this thread and fully support your right to feel how you feel. Good day.

• Like 3

Being a woman and being obese or overweight and celebrating your body doesn't deserve fat shaming, and is no way related to Feminism.

Women come in all shapes and sizes. Not everyone can be thin or lose the weight the way *you* want these women too. Treating overweight people like lepers and fat shaming them is wrong.

• Like 2
Let's just stop talking about the health aspect of this. You've never once addressed the harpoon comment which is what I've brought up several times. That is what I have a problem with, as well as others. You can't try to cover that up with health statements.

That was an edit I added after I realized the article was actually promoting this idea of being heavy as being OK - I didn't initially put that there and I had mixed feelings, but I have trouble resisting allusion.

Consider it addressed.

If anyone who is NOT Tess feels that applies to them, that's their choice. It was aimed at her with needle like precision, so to speak.

She's on the cover of a fashion magazine. To pretend she won't have an influence as a "role model" is either willfully blind or grossly insincere.

You cannot compare someone who's killing themselves with someone who's physically disadvantaged due to no choice of their own. You just can't. But yes, put them on a cover of a magazine, make THEM the role model and the type of life that should be sought after.

• Like 2
Being a woman and being obese or overweight and celebrating your body doesn't deserve fat shaming, and is no way related to Feminism.

Women come in all shapes and sizes. Not everyone can be thin or lose the weight the way *you* want these women too. Treating overweight people like lepers and fat shaming them is wrong.

What's this feminism thing? Why are you talking to me about feminism?

People do come in all shapes and sizes. Promoting a dangerous lifestyle is evil even if you're a famous +++++model and I'm going to call it evil. What would you think if someone was promoting the idea that cigarette smoking was OK, it just needed to be accepted and embraced, to an audience that included teenagers?

If they were encouraging people to lie on the train tracks and have their legs severed then yeah, both fists swinging full on you bet.

Fat shaming is a socially acceptable form of bigotry that has negative consequences. I won't participate in doing that.

Hating fat people just makes those fat people fatter.

Hating On Fat People Just Makes Them Fatter : Shots - Health News : NPR

Don't try to pretend your gibes and judgments of the overweight people in your life are for their own good. Florida researchers have evidence that discriminating against fat people only makes them fatter.

"People often rationalize that it's OK to discriminate based on weight because it will motivate the victim to lose pounds," Angelina Sutin, a psychologist at the Florida State College of Medicine in Tallahassee, tells Shots. "But our findings suggest the opposite."

Sutin and a colleague checked survey data from more than 6,000 American men and women age 50 and older who were asked how often in their daily lives they experienced different types of discrimination. Examples ranged from discourtesy or refusal of restaurant service to not getting a job or promotion.

The survey then asked the respondents why they thought the discrimination happened. Was it because of their race or age, for example, or their sex, age or weight? Researchers also measured the participants' weight and height.

Four years later, a follow-up survey asked the same questions and checked for changes in weight.

Overweight people who said they'd experienced discrimination based on weight were more than twice as likely to be obese four years later than people who didn't mention such discrimination. And those who started out obese were three times more likely to remain so if they'd been harshly targeted because of their weight. Other types of discrimination showed no effect on weight.

A controversial ad by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota shows an overweight shopper and her daughter buying junk food.

Sutin's study, published in the latest issue of the online journal PLOS One, wasn't designed to get at why weight discrimination led many fat people to pack on even more pounds. But other research suggests that increased rates of depression, emotional eating and low-self esteem likely play a role. So does increased stress (and the associated hormonal surges that can trigger even more hunger and eating), as well as the avoidance of exercise.

"If someone's mean to you at the gym because of your weight or acts like you don't belong there," Sutin says, "you're less likely to go back."

The roots of obesity are complex and include genetics and other factors that go well beyond individual choice. "Trying to promote healthy behaviors is a good thing," she says, but shaming someone has no place in the solution.

Unfortunately, weight-related prejudice and discrimination persists in many spheres and is only increasing among employers, teachers — and doctors.

Fat shaming is a socially acceptable form of bigotry that has negative consequences. I won't participate in doing that.

Hating fat people just makes those fat people fatter.

I don't think something posted on this board is gonna add any lard to her ass. I can't believe you're OK with the glorification of this sort of lifestyle - it's deadly, and any time someone says being this fat is OK, it should be corrected. It's not.

It's a medical condition and needs professional help.

thefooloftheyear
And people make fun of Tess Holliday. Its par for the course. Doesn't mean either should fade from the spotlight.

One huge difference, though....

You cant (in good taste) call "Two Ton Tess" a fat slob without being called all an insensitive goon.....Guys aren't nearly as sensitive about it...

Case in point...

A friend of mine that I hadn't seen in a while stopped by recently...He must have put on 30 lbs at least..I tell him "Dude, WTF? Is it a boy or girl?"....Instead of running to a therapist or starting a thread on a site like this one(saw a thread about this thing a few weeks ago started by a woman -and all of the responses ranged from anger to disgust)..all he did was rub his belly, chuckle, and say"yeah man...too much pizza...gotta lay off it"...and we both laughed a bit.....Thats it...The End..

What would happen if a woman said what I said to you??

TFY

• Like 4