I saw something recently about a young woman with Down's Syndrome launching a modeling career...

At the end of the day, all of this stuff might just be another manifestation of the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality that's pretty much the norm now..

if its not your bag, just ignore it...

*shrug*

TFY

Down's Syndrome is not the same as being obese and/or overweight. At least the obese and/or overweight person can take measures to change their situation. A Down's Syndrome person can't change how they were born.

BTW, I'm all for and have supported (i.e. via Change.org petitions) Down's Syndrome people who are looking for supporters for a particular cause/challenge they are facing. I stand behind people who work past their challenges in life, not sit and demand "fair treatment" while they sit down and twiddle thumbs.

• Like 5
Because your tone has been nothing but aggressive

Yes, I would say I'm guilty of aggressively opposing the glamorizing and promoting of a deadly set of lifestyle choices. If there is karma (there is no such thing) it would probably reward me by helping me continue to fight my own fight.

• Like 1
Down's Syndrome is not the same as being obese and/or overweight. At least the obese and/or overweight person can take measures to change their situation. A Down's Syndrome person can't change how they were born.

BTW, I'm all for and have supported (i.e. via Change.org petitions) Down's Syndrome people who are looking for supporters for a particular cause/challenge they are facing. I stand behind people who work past their challenges in life, not sit and demand "fair treatment" while they sit down and twiddle thumbs.

This is true for me Gloria; except for the part about 'demanding fair treatment.'

Everyone deserves fair treatment. No exceptions in my opinion. Whether they 'twiddle thumbs' or not, a level humility must be given.

People will often not meet your expectations but that is no bother. No one has less or greater value unless they fail to step up. How can any other person judge that? Phffft.

• Like 3
autumnnight
Now we're justifying shaming and ridiculing people?

This is just sad. REALLY sad.

Shame and ridicule does nothing for me but makes me want to hide in my apartment.

Seriously, just stop!!!

You have to understand. There are people on the internet who have no emotional intelligence and swing erratically like pendulums writing whatever comes out of their fingers. You just have to shake your head and go on with life.

• Like 5
autumnnight
This thread notwithstanding, A woman's worst critic is actually other women..And it actually starts quite young...My daughter is only 12 and while she doesn't do it(at least I hope not), these girls are cutting the shyt out of each other....Its brutal!

TFY

Yep...and this thread is a prime example. Like I said...no emotional intelligence.

• Like 2
Yep...and this thread is a prime example. Like I said...no emotional intelligence.

Guilty of not reading back. Likes TFY.

autumnnight
Where do you see me commenting on what the author thinks? How would I know what she's thinking?

You can't really be this obtuse can you?

• Like 2
You can't really be this obtuse can you?

The point is (was made a few posts later) I don't care what she thinks - it's what she publishes that is a matter of pubic concern.

Maleficent
Gay males and straight women run these magazines and the fashion world in general so I never got why straight males got so much blame

Straight males are not being blamed as a whole. Our problem is with people calling overweight people disgusting and suggesting we get a harpoon. Especially the harpoon considering it is used to kill.

• Like 6
Straight males are not being blamed as a whole. Our problem is with people calling overweight people disgusting and suggesting we get a harpoon. Especially the harpoon considering it is used to kill.

Where did anyone suggest you get a harpoon? There is help available, if people really have trouble understanding written words.

Big stretch there from "she's not attractive, she's a whale" to "you're all whales" then to "kill them all", don't cha think?

Well, she certainly has dimples. Everywhere.

Where's my harpoon, Queequeg?

Where did anyone suggest you get a harpoon? There is help available, if people really have trouble understanding written words.

Big stretch there from "she's not attractive, she's a whale" to "you're all whales" then to "kill them all", don't cha think?

That should clear it up. Pwned.

Edited by writergal
  • Like 3
That should clear it up. Pwned.

MY harpoon. pwned, really?

Where did I suggest YOU get a harpoon?

serial muse
MY harpoon. pwned, really?

Where did I suggest YOU get a harpoon?

Oh, for God's sake. Cut it out. You know what you said, we know what you said, it was a shxtty thing to say. Just own it already. What is the point of this little tap dance?

• Like 8
Oh, for God's sake. Cut it out. You know what you said, we know what you said, it was a shxtty thing to say. Just own it already.

I said the model in question is fat, unhealthy, and unattractive, and her lifestyle isn't something to promote. Anyone who infers more than that is taking it and running with it. If you really think I was making a death threat or calling for someone to harm Tess Bigbritches then you're mistaken.

• Like 1

People have as much right to complain and protest as the magazine and the model have right to make money and promoting healthy self image at any size.

The bitter pill is that women of all sizes are beginning to be seriously DONE with caring about what others think about our bodies. The complaints and protests grow louder as women fail to cower and cover, but will eventually grow bored when it isn't getting the desired response.

• Like 1
serial muse
I said the model in question is fat, unhealthy, and unattractive, and her lifestyle isn't something to promote. Anyone who infers more than that is taking it and running with it. If you really think I was making a death threat or calling for someone to harm Tess Bigbritches then you're mistaken.

You're not fooling anyone. Golf clap for the effort, though.

Nobody really thinks you made a death threat, by the way. They think you were calling her a whale in a really nasty, hostile, aggressive way. And you were. So what's the point of this tap dance, as I say? Own it.

• Like 5
People have as much right to complain and protest as the magazine and the model have right to make money and promoting healthy self image at any size.

The bitter pill is that women of all sizes are beginning to be seriously DONE with caring about what others think about our bodies. The complaints and protests grow louder as women fail to cower and cover, but will eventually grow bored when it isn't getting the desired response.

As long as they can all pay for their own future medical care I'm OK with people making informed choices. I'm also OK with people doing heroin or drinking too much. I am not OK with any of that (including morbid obesity, which she certainly is) being promoted as a good idea.

Michelle ma Belle
Yes, I would say I'm guilty of aggressively opposing the glamorizing and promoting of a deadly set of lifestyle choices. If there is karma (there is no such thing) it would probably reward me by helping me continue to fight my own fight.

Excellent and good for you! No one is arguing that point BUT the point is that it's YOUR fight.

Don't project YOUR fears of not being able to squeeze into your jeans after a piece of birthday cake onto others and accusing anyone who doesn't look or behave like you to be anything but lazy or "disgusting".

Once again, I'm not sure how this directly affects YOU or YOUR life in anyway or that of the others that voiced such disdain. Don't like, don't buy into it. Simple.

To think that an image of a plus sized woman on a cover of ONE magazine is going to cause people to force feed themselves until they are unrecognizable is absolutely LUDICROUS!

Having an opinion on either side of this issue is fantastic but to slam women who are different from you or me is what's ultimately "disgusting".

I suppose you'd be more comfortable if the cover and supporting article address this body image;

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--LrT8vJ3giM/T2m7ddPeWOI/AAAAAAAABb8/mSKHLNJtXNY/s1600/skinny_models008.jpg

Honestly, I can't help but wonder what you're hiding. I mean, anyone this invested in the subject as they run around like a bull in a china shop insulting and alienating women as you have must be overcompensating for something.

I can't help but imagine you were one of those girls in high school who yelled "Mooooooo!" every time a heavy girl walked by you in the hall :(

Not cool.

• Like 2
Especially the harpoon considering it is used to kill.

What's this then?

Nobody really thinks you made a death threat, by the way. They think you were calling her a whale in a really nasty, hostile, aggressive way. And you were. So what's the point of this tap dance, as I say? Own it.

I don't think I ever denied that. I certainly never made nasty comments about physique or health condition of anyone on this board, or thread, or outside this particular model. Can you admit that as fact?

I suppose you'd be more comfortable if the cover and supporting article address this body image;

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--LrT8vJ3giM/T2m7ddPeWOI/AAAAAAAABb8/mSKHLNJtXNY/s1600/skinny_models008.jpg

Honestly, I can't help but wonder what you're hiding.

That looks, to be honest, like it might also be a health issue but I'm not really sure where it's stops being just unattractive and starts being actually life threatening.

Sounds like you want me to let my skeletons out of the closet too.

I can't help but imagine you were one of those girls in high school who yelled "Mooooooo!" every time a heavy girl walked by you in the hall

I'm curious when I became a girl. Your imagination is really interesting though.

As long as they can all pay for their own future medical care I'm OK with people making informed choices. I'm also OK with people doing heroin or drinking too much. I am not OK with any of that (including morbid obesity, which she certainly is) being promoted as a good idea.

Here's the thing....

Fat shaming encourages obesity. 'Fat shaming' doesn't encourage weight loss | EurekAlert! Science News

So while I am concerned about medical costs and health outcomes, I believe that promoting healthy self-image at any size is the better way to achieve optimal outcomes.

• Like 1
Michelle ma Belle
I'm curious when I became a girl. Your imagination is really interesting though.

Haha typo but I stand by my post regardless.

serial muse
What's this then?

I don't think I ever denied that. I certainly never made nasty comments about physique or health condition of anyone on this board, or thread, or outside this particular model. Can you admit that as fact?

What? I never accused you of any such thing. Can you admit that as fact?

It's kind of funny that you're doing the same thing you're accusing others of doing: to wit, making outlandish assumptions about what they mean without actually reading carefully.

Bottom line: You said a nasty and hostile thing about a fat woman on the cover of a magazine. People called you out on it. Noting that a harpoon is used to kill whales was a way of saying, hey, that was a nasty, aggressive, hostile thing to say about a fat person and really unnecessary for that reason. You didn't just say "she's a whale" (awful enough), you said something even more aggressive and hostile than that. That's the fact, Jack.

That you on the one hand defend your stance as being for the good of mankind and on the other try to pretend you didn't say it at all -- even though it is still there in Internet memory -- is a fruitless exercise.

You said a shxtty thing. Stop dancing. If you feel bad about it now, you can say so. Otherwise, you should probably accept that people saw it for what it was and stop trying to say it was something it wasn't. It's still there.

• Like 2
Here's the thing....

Fat shaming encourages obesity. 'Fat shaming' doesn't encourage weight loss | EurekAlert! Science News

You might be right, but that's not what the article says, outside the issues I have with the sort of study they report on. First, it didn't say fear of becoming fat made normal sized people more likely to get fat. It didn't even say that subjecting fat people to mocking encouraged them to get fatter. What it said is that people who self reported as having been "discriminated against" due to being fat were more likely to get fatter.

I believe people who are likely to report they are discriminated against for being fat are likely to get fatter. Sounds completely right.

For me, the motivation to lose came from some medical research that led to fear of an early death. Fear of death is very motivating, in general.