She's on the cover of a fashion magazine. To pretend she won't have an influence as a "role model" is either willfully blind or grossly insincere.

You cannot compare someone who's killing themselves with someone who's physically disadvantaged due to no choice of their own. You just can't. But yes, put them on a cover of a magazine, make THEM the role model and the type of life that should be sought after.

You completely missed my point of comparing the two. Both types of people (obese and handicap) deserve to celebrate their existence "as is" whether you agree with it or not. Of COURSE handicap people can be role models; for other handicap people and for non-handicap people to inspire them.

Some examples of inspirational people with handicaps:

1. Nick Vujicic - he doesn't have any arms or legs

2. Ray Charles - blind, and famous soul music musician

3. Stevie Wonder - blind, and famous American musician

4. Steven Hawking - British theoretical physicist

5. Beethoven - German composer and pianist, still composed music despite going completely deaf

6. John Milton, author of Paradise Lost, wrote Paradise Lost despite the fact that he was completely blind.

Those people have handicaps. Those people inspire both handicap and non-handicap people. That is what I'm saying about Tess Holiday. She inspires obese women to pursue their dreams and life goals, despite their body shape and size.

What's this feminism thing? Why are you talking to me about feminism?

People do come in all shapes and sizes. Promoting a dangerous lifestyle is evil even if you're a famous +++++model and I'm going to call it evil. What would you think if someone was promoting the idea that cigarette smoking was OK, it just needed to be accepted and embraced, to an audience that included teenagers?

Ninja tied Feminism to Fat Shaming and mentioned Tess Holiday in his OP so it's on topic.

Clearly you and I will never agree on the topic in this thread, so I will bow out from the conversation now. I still can't believe you wont acknowledge the vicious "harpoon" comment you made about Tess Holiday, knowing that you were overweight in your past too. I can't respect someone who shames others for something he's experienced himself (being overweight).

Do you know what motivates people? Compassion. Not Bigotry.

You completely missed my point of comparing the two. Both types of people (obese and handicap) deserve to celebrate their existence "as is" whether you agree with it or not.

Christopher Reeves was a magnificent human and humanitarian, and he deserves to be remembered as a great man. The foundation he and his wife started has done a massive amount of good and we are currently on the verge of being able to actually REPAIR spinal cord injuries. This is fantastic.

But if Mr Reeves ever got on mass media and suggested his condition was worth celebrating, and that it was a great idea for young people to skip using safety equipment because being a quadriplegic was great, I would have a different view of him.

He did the right thing and tried to fix and prevent his type of injury.

I was gonna say john Goodman isn't supposed to look good, he's not a model. He's supposed to be someone to laugh at. Nobody's supposed to want to look like John Goodman.

There's the difference.

Off subject, the rockets are fu*king up! :mad:

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear
Ninja tied Feminism to Fat Shaming and mentioned Tess Holiday in his OP so it's on topic.

Clearly you and I will never agree on the topic in this thread, so I will bow out from the conversation now. I still can't believe you wont acknowledge the vicious "harpoon" comment you made about Tess Holiday, knowing that you were overweight in your past too. I can't respect someone who shames others for something he's experienced himself (being overweight).

I hate disagreeing with you because I generally like you, but compassion isn't as big as a motivator, in my experience, than shame or ridicule...That shyt just brings out the lion in many people...

TFY

• Like 1

Fear is motivating. When my doctor started to describe what I had in front of me if I kept gaining weight, I found it extremely motivating, and I didn't even have to experience it first hand.

I would bet that different people find different things motivating.

• Like 2
ColdandLonelyinAK

Now we're justifying shaming and ridiculing people?

This is just sad. REALLY sad.

Shame and ridicule does nothing for me but makes me want to hide in my apartment.

Seriously, just stop!!!

• Like 2
That was an edit I added after I realized the article was actually promoting this idea of being heavy as being OK - I didn't initially put that there and I had mixed feelings, but I have trouble resisting allusion.

Consider it addressed.

If anyone who is NOT Tess feels that applies to them, that's their choice. It was aimed at her with needle like precision, so to speak.

I still can't believe you wont acknowledge the vicious "harpoon" comment you made about Tess Holiday, knowing that you were overweight in your past too.

I guess you skipped it?

Now we're justifying shaming and ridiculing people?

When did a jab (no pun intended) at Tess what's her name become an insult aimed at you? That's all you, I have no idea who you are or how you look.

amaysngrace

Why does anyone care what some chick on some magazine looks like? Most likely People put her on the cover as a marketing strategy to reach a broader audience.

I want your life OP, where this was my major thing to think about.

• Like 1
ColdandLonelyinAK
When did a jab (no pun intended) at Tess what's her name become an insult aimed at you? That's all you, I have no idea who you are or how you look.

And you assume I'm talking to you. Someone else made that comment.

Your comment follows my comment with no other quote. You replied to me whether you meant to or not.

Thanks for clearing it up.

thefooloftheyear

I did...and yes...IN MY EXPERIENCE, being shamed and ridiculed did more to motivate me in my life to better myself, than a pat on the head or a hug...

Your....Mileage....May....Vary.....

TFY

• Like 1
Why does anyone care what some chick on some magazine looks like? Most likely People put her on the cover as a marketing strategy to reach a broader audience.

I want your life OP, where this was my major thing to think about.

I would not be surprised if the choice to celebrate this person and her lifestyle in this way shaves years off various lives indirectly. It's no skin off my ass directly, in fact I won't go have that icecream I was thinking about now, but someone somewhere is going to have a double because "it's OK to celebrate this".

• Like 1
I guess you skipped it?

This is not a real acknowledgement: "Consider it addressed" is just evading the obvious. What you said about Tess Holiday with your harpoon comment was awful.

And like I said, we will agree to disagree. I can't converse with someone whose belief is that bigotry aka "fat shaming" is an acceptable form of weight loss motivation.

• Like 2
ColdandLonelyinAK
I did...and yes...IN MY EXPERIENCE, being shamed and ridiculed did more to motivate me in my life to better myself, than a pat on the head or a hug...

Your....Mileage....May....Vary.....

TFY

Then I guess I wish I had your courage, because shame and ridicule, even from 20 years ago, has done nothing for me but land me in therapy and have social anxiety issues.

But kudos to you for feeling that way. No, really. I'm glad some people can take something so hateful and negative and turn it into something that positively influences them.

Most people are not like that.

This is not a real acknowledgement: "Consider it addressed" is just evading the obvious. What you said about Tess Holiday with your harpoon comment was awful.

I doubt she'll ever know, it can be our secret.

PS - Starbuck was also in Moby Dick.

amaysngrace
I would not be surprised if the choice to celebrate this person and her lifestyle in this way shaves years off various lives indirectly. It's no skin off my ass directly, in fact I won't go have that icecream I was thinking about now, but someone somewhere is going to have a double because "it's OK to celebrate this".

Shoprite has Friendly's ice cream on sale for $1.99.

There's this one flavor, limited edition, that is called "ice cream cake"

It even has the blue!!! :bunny:

thefooloftheyear
Then I guess I wish I had your courage, because shame and ridicule, even from 20 years ago, has done nothing for me but land me in therapy and have social anxiety issues.

But kudos to you for feeling that way. No, really. I'm glad some people can take something so hateful and negative and turn it into something that positively influences them.

Most people are not like that.

I'm sorry you took offense...:(.I really mean that and I hope you can overcome your anxiety in the best and most expedient way possible..Please forgive me..

TFY

• Like 3
I hate disagreeing with you because I generally like you, but compassion isn't as big as a motivator, in my experience, than shame or ridicule...That shyt just brings out the lion in many people...

TFY

It's ok TFY. I don't mind if we disagree because you've never been rude about it with me. I think that fat shaming shouldn't be considered a positive moitvator for everyone, because not everyone will react the way you did. Some people react to ridicule and shame by shutting down, feeling abused. Whereas some people turn ridicule around into a positive motivator. So, I disagree with you that shame and ridicule are good motivational tools. Some people are more motivated by compassion than ridicule. So, can we agree on that at least?

I admire Tess Holiday for achieving her modeling goals as an obese model. She wanted to become a model and she accomplished that. Everyone, regardless of what the public thinks, has a right to pursue their goals and dreams even when its viewed with ridicule and shaming.

• Like 3
Shoprite has Friendly's ice cream on sale for $1.99.

There's this one flavor, limited edition, that is called "ice cream cake"

It even has the blue!!! :bunny:

Eeeee.

I'm more a coffee and almonds person.

It's a natural human state to be hungry for a while prior to eating, hours really. A lot of Americans, myself included, have become habituated to essentially never being hungry. This is literally killing us. Hunger, before eating a healthy meal, is our friend. It's GOOD to be hungry for a while during the day.

Its normal. It's how we are made to operate.

I am currently on an experimental drug (it might be available now) that is pretty interesting, it essentially tells your brain that "no, he's had something to eat, ignore the empty feeling in the stomach, we're all fine here".

One thing it allowed me to understand is that I (and others I suspect) eat for a number of different reasons. There is actual hunger, and then there is habit. In addition, eating is fun, food is nice and it's pleasant to eat. Having the practice to identify all this has been really useful, and I've been reducing my dose and just getting used to embracing hunger to a degree.

This is, IMO, the sort of talk that should be celebrated in America. Not "you look FINE, pass the chips".

ColdandLonelyinAK
I'm sorry you took offense...:(.I really mean that and I hope you can overcome your anxiety in the best and most expedient way possible..Please forgive me..

TFY

You're fine. I've struggled with my weight my entire life, and while it's fine now, and I'm in a much healthier state and a lower weight, it's still very hurtful to see some of the comments on here. While you can shed pounds, some people will always have an obese mentality and look in the mirror and see that 280 lb person, even if they're much lighter now. When you're treated as subhuman for your weight for so long, it almost comes to a point where you're brainwashed into thinking you're still that person and the comments can be taken as offensive. I have a friend who lost over 100 lbs and STILL thinks she's fat. It's comparable to anorexic people who see something totally different in their own mind even though the scale says differently (the mentality, I mean).

With that being said, I will say that even when I was at my heaviest, I still had no issues finding men to talk to. Not everyone has a problem with obesity.

• Like 3
amaysngrace
Eeeee.

I'm more a coffee and almonds person.

It's a natural human state to be hungry for a while prior to eating, hours really. A lot of Americans, myself included, have become habituated to essentially never being hungry. This is literally killing us. Hunger, before eating a healthy meal, is our friend. It's GOOD to be hungry for a while during the day.

Its normal. It's how we are made to operate.

I am currently on an experimental drug (it might be available now) that is pretty interesting, it essentially tells your brain that "no, he's had something to eat, ignore the empty feeling in the stomach, we're all fine here".

One thing it allowed me to understand is that I (and others I suspect) eat for a number of different reasons. There is actual hunger, and then there is habit. In addition, eating is fun, food is nice and it's pleasant to eat. Having the practice to identify all this has been really useful, and I've been reducing my dose and just getting used to embracing hunger to a degree.

This is, IMO, the sort of talk that should be celebrated in America. Not "you look FINE, pass the chips".

Meh...I think people should be able to eat what they want and be whatever weight they'd like. It's their life, not mine.

If food is one of their simple pleasures then so be it. I think a lot of it has to do with overly processed foods but that's a whole other conversation.

But yeah that ice cream is so good that I bought more today. They had maybe 12 in the case but I showed restraint and only grabbed three. :)

• Like 1
Meh...I think people should be able to eat what they want and be whatever weight they'd like. It's their life, not mine.

I agree it's their life, but bad advice should be identified as bad advice. I don't like seatbelt laws, but I like public service ads that convince people it's wise to wear belts.

This article is the equivalent of Rolling Stone extolling the benefits of smoking.

• Like 1
Michelle ma Belle
How does anything said in this thread directly affect YOU?

Another deflection. Answering a question with another question. So typical.

As for your question, it doesn't directly affect me which is the whole point I'm making!!!

Must be nice to be perfect.