Why do older guys go for the much younger girl?

blindesided

Oh. I have many times. Most women who work and interact around mostly men all day are forced to for a variety of reasons. I'm actually quite good at it most of the time, because I have some very good male friends and mentors of all ages. Even a couple of my exes as friends.

What I learned (overall) is that the favor isn't returned, buddy.

Why don't you put yourself in women's shoes? And try not whining about being all emasculated and crap while you do it.

Give it a shot.

What in the christ are you talking about? You're on about some working environment. I'm talking about being an actual man, out on your own, searching for greater life prospects..... You talk about job-working in an ownership culture and forced this and that and other nonsense.

You instantly deny yourself the male perspective, whole-heartedly, and that's why you think they way you do.... if you even think at all. Emasculation and whatnot? What? You clearly have a very very very long way to go before you remotely can conceptualize one single thing. After you can stay with an idea, and you've attacked it from many many angles, perhaps we can listen to you.

PinkInTheLimo
Well I want to have kids one day and yes women can have children into their 40's but I'd like for my future wife to have 2 kids before she is 35 so here is the plan: Date a 26 year old for 18 mos, propose, be engaged for 6 mos, have a year of no kids to get used to things then have the 1st kid, she'll be 30 then. Have another kid 2 years later and she'll be 32. So that means my ABSOLUTE LIMIT age wise is 30 becase that would put the 1st kid being born at about 34. That being said that would be in a perfect world and I'm 30 so my maximum will go up each year.

Where is the love in all this?

Where is the love in all this?

What?

People think linearly all the time. There's nothing wrong with an outline of goals.

Most women like a man with such goals....they state this all the time. Is he damned if do/dont?

I think a better question is not... why older men are attracted to younger women... but why they think they are entitled to such and that it is ok to hit on them.

i'm entitled to hit on any woman i happen across in public. they are welcome to walk away. welcome to earth.

For many reasons, I think that men are socialized not to give a crap about what women want or is good for them. They don't give a rat's ass that the object of their affections is going to likely die old and alone after they've used them up. All they care about is themselves.

well, young women generally lie about what what they want and don't want what is good for them in terms of relationships, so no, i don't give a rat's ass, honestly.

wonder why...

When my much older male friend misunderstood my sadness at his leaving the company we both worked at as something romantic, I was insulted and disgusted. At some level, it just felt incestuous... I would never hit on a man that much younger than me.. It just feels so predatory.

but, for some reason, it is A-OK for them. Not sure why they can't just be ok being mentors and friends.

aha! that's why. you're offended because the guy in question didn't accurately read your mind, and you're offended because your world didn't lay itself at your feet just the way you want it to.

given the above stereotypical analysis of the average woman in her 20s, tell me why anyone would want to be a 'friend and mentor' to someone like that?

• Like 2
Relax, He's trying to make wagina points by "being on your side", as if it were a war or something. His sarcasm and wit are just shall we say, clumsy.

Who is being sarcastic or witty? I'm right serious with all this, and certainly I don't tally these "vagina" points. Last I checked I've never been turned down for sex.

Can you not read and then understand what you've read?

Oxy Moronovich

These people think older/much younger relationships should be legal. Yet they don't think they should happen. It makes no sense to say, "I think it should be legal for an older person to date a much younger person. But I don't think they should do it anyway."

Why do you think it should be legal but taboo?

• Like 1
And I've seen men put up with some of the most ridiculous and heinous behavior from a much younger woman simply so that they can say they have a much younger woman.

Because while they are walking 'round and to their casual acquaintances, having a much younger woman seems to be all the 'status' some men need.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've dated from 26 years younger to 16 years older, or to put it in non-relative terms, women from 16-49 years old. Age isn't really that big a deal, but I do have standards for being drama-free (or at least low-drama), appearance, and other factors, so generally speaking I tend to date under 32 or so.

But I'm not hung up on it.

The sooner us women learn that men think they are overall better human beings holding more worth to their world since they tout their greatness well into old age, the sooner us women learn that we are just worthless piles of wasted space that are only acceptable to be in the presence of men when we are young and beautiful and full of “baby making health”, the sooner women just lie down and die after the age of 30 so that all the wonderful and aging men can have their chances with the “young beauties”, the happier it seems men will be. What do I learn from this? That men think they have more worth and are better then women. Whenever I hear older men talk about how “why shouldn’t I go for younger women”, “older men age better”, “older men are better”, “older women are ugly”, “after 30 women are worthless”...and the millions of other justifications that come across this board everyday of men trying to convince themselves of their worth while stomping on the heads of women to do it, I learn that men think women are just completely worthless unless they are young. And that even for those young women, their worth to a man isn’t worth much since those younger women will also age. And they will be left with a man that has about as much respect and true care for her as he did for women his own age. A man that still believes he is a more worthwhile human being then a woman because he wants to believe that he gets better with age and that women get worse. And this type of man will justify this thought process on the back of all the younger women that turned him down in his day. Never once thinking about the girls that even when young, also got turned down by young men. And why? Because these men don’t really care or even like women. Young or old. They might like a tight body and pretty face but this is not a real like for women as people.

Sorry for the rant but I am so sick and tired of hearing men tell us how worthless women are. Like women don't deserve to be loved or have sex or want a relationship with a good guy after a certain age. I am so sick and tired of men pretending they are better or that they age better or that they look better.. It's such bullcrap. And it's really boarders on misogonisitic. And it simply makes me think that as a woman, it doesn't matter what you do. You will never win with a man because what matters to him and most men is the youngest package he can get. And that is what these conversations boil down to. It almost makes me feel like men would actuallly be happy jsut to shipt every woman over 30 over to an island and shot them down like dogs while puffing out his chest and acting like he is such a stud over 30.

Well we get it guys! You win! You are all Mr. Wonderfuls. you and your "buddies" banging and using al lteh "hot young tail" while laughing at women. And wome nare all just pieces of sh*t..You win. Good for you. This must be what you want anyway.

I completely agree with you that's why it is so important that women get educated and work towards a career. They will not be able to count on a man for support after the age of 30.

Disenchantedly Yours
Being in my early twenties, like many other women, I've of course had my share of older men try to go after me. I don't mind it sometimes, as long as the age gap is not huge, but I don't prefer it either. It depends a lot more on the actual man. If he likes me more because of the person I am and we "click", then that's great and so much better than him just liking me a lot because I'm younger... and you can sure as hell tell when a man does like you for just that.

One of the few things that really bothers me is when, as Disenchanted mentioned, any man (young or old) begins to brag about chasing younger women -- and this is coming from someone who is still typically 'young'. To me, it reeks of subtle insecurity or a type of ratrace that they're competing in. I don't need all of that in my life. And of all things, why choose a woman's age as the one thing to 'brag' about? Why not brag instead about something of substance, like how amazing of a person she is or how much fun she is? Things that are unique to her than just the number of years she's been alive. I get that 'youth' is prized, but when a man goes for that above other things that are obviously of more importance, then yeah, I do see it as somewhat shallow. Who's to say you won't think the same thing about me as I grow older?

I don't know, this might be an 'outdated' way to look at it, but I see other women mostly as 'comrades', not me competing against them age-wise for men. So more than anything, I see the way a person treats other people as a big indicator of who they are as a person. Therefore, if a man I'm getting to know somehow downplays women who are older than me (or his own age) mainly because of their age... that's kind of a turn-off. Regardless of age, a woman is still a woman, and that is disrespectful. Just as I respect men as people, young or old, I expect the same in return.

Theives, I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I also don't think it's "bad" when an older man dates a younger woman as long as he really likes her. But there are two kinds of men in this world. Men that really like and enjoy women of all ages. And men that specifically make age the biggest and best thing about a woman. So when I see men here "brag" about the age of the women they dated and make cute little indirect suggestive comments about what studs they are for it, I shake my head. These guys aren't mature. These guys aren't even the type of a man a younger woman really wants to be with. I bet she doesn't know what he really thinks about his age vs hers. Unfortunetly, those younger women that date men like that don't know what he really thinks about women and thus about her. While she may be young now, she won't be forever. So men that prize a woman's age over his own, he isn't respecting the younger woman anymore then the older one. It would be like me only dating men that made certain amount of money. What man here wants to be used for his money? No man does! What woman wants to be prized only for her age or told she is "best" at certain age. No woman does! But here we have the same exact men in this thread that complain about ideals of masculinity they have to meet in today's society getting GLEE and puffing out their chests and defending their right to younger women! Why should any woman date a man that thinks women his own age are crap while he thinks he is great? They shouldn't. And I actually think that with less incentive for women to be tied down today, with men not even wanting to take the financial responsibilities they use to take, that there are probably less women settling for older guys then there use to be.

I am with you that I feel comarde with women of all ages. When I see women younger then me, I want to teach them what I learned and look out from them. When I am with older women, I know there are things they can teach me. I am not in competition with women as a whole. I want women of all ages to have happy successful relationships. And it seems to me that there is a high number of men that are so bitter, then rather crap on women for their age then honor and respect them. They rather sit around telling themselves they are better then women for their age while putting women down for theirs, then treat women like people. It doesn't matter if the woman is young or old. We all age. So whatever idea a man holds about an older woman, he also holds about that younger woman. Because she will age too.

And I liked what you said about elaborating on my comments about what men choose to brag about when it comes to women. Such as their age. That is why I said that it's just as disrespectful to that younger woman. Look at posters like 1234 and Dasein, out of all the things they could compliment their partneres on they choose their younger age then them. And the reason why these posters have done that is because to them, it's all about *them* as men getting theirs. So instead of truly complimenting their previous or current partners on their accomplishments or kind hearts, they choose to compliment them on their age because these guys think their ability to be with young women is a mark of their own worth. Who wants to really be with a guy like that? No woman does.

• Like 4
Disenchantedly Yours
I completely agree with you that's why it is so important that women get educated and work towards a career. They will not be able to count on a man for support after the age of 30.

Or even before the age of 30 Stillafool. These guys don't really like women. They only like youth. And youth isn't a person. It's a thing. These guys see women as things. Not people. Men that really like women enjoy women of all ages. It's easy to see what men really like women and what men only like what they can get from women that they think gives them status.

• Like 2
Disenchantedly Yours
Thieves

You snagged an attractive younger woman half your age? Huge claps for you, my friend. Now, tell me exactly what that's supposed to prove about you?

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

What in the christ are you talking about? You're on about some working environment. I'm talking about being an actual man, out on your own, searching for greater life prospects..... You talk about job-working in an ownership culture and forced this and that and other nonsense.

You instantly deny yourself the male perspective, whole-heartedly, and that's why you think they way you do.... if you even think at all. Emasculation and whatnot? What? You clearly have a very very very long way to go before you remotely can conceptualize one single thing. After you can stay with an idea, and you've attacked it from many many angles, perhaps we can listen to you.

Oh. Just another bully. Ok. (switching on ignore).

I see you have no patience for wombs that also talk. Good luck with that.

Theives, I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I also don't think it's "bad" when an older man dates a younger woman as long as he really likes her.

Well of course, why would a guy date someone he doesn't like? The real issue IMO is that people who are unhappy leaving other people alone can't help but to say things that are hurtful or snarky when they see a couple with an age difference.

He only wants one thing. She's a gold digger. He can't handle a real woman. She has daddy issues. On and on it goes, you only need to search threads like this one to see comments like this.

• Like 1
Theives, I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I also don't think it's "bad" when an older man dates a younger woman as long as he really likes her. But there are two kinds of men in this world. Men that really like and enjoy women of all ages. And men that specifically make age the biggest and best thing about a woman. So when I see men here "brag" about the age of the women they dated and make cute little indirect suggestive comments about what studs they are for it, I shake my head. These guys aren't mature. These guys aren't even the type of a man a younger woman really wants to be with. I bet she doesn't know what he really thinks about his age vs hers. Unfortunetly, those younger women that date men like that don't know what he really thinks about women and thus about her. While she may be young now, she won't be forever. So men that prize a woman's age over his own, he isn't respecting the younger woman anymore then the older one. It would be like me only dating men that made certain amount of money. What man here wants to be used for his money? No man does! What woman wants to be prized only for her age or told she is "best" at certain age. No woman does! But here we have the same exact men in this thread that complain about ideals of masculinity they have to meet in today's society getting GLEE and puffing out their chests and defending their right to younger women! Why should any woman date a man that thinks women his own age are crap while he thinks he is great? They shouldn't. And I actually think that with less incentive for women to be tied down today, with men not even wanting to take the financial responsibilities they use to take, that there are probably less women settling for older guys then there use to be.

I am with you that I feel comarde with women of all ages. When I see women younger then me, I want to teach them what I learned and look out from them. When I am with older women, I know there are things they can teach me. I am not in competition with women as a whole. I want women of all ages to have happy successful relationships. And it seems to me that there is a high number of men that are so bitter, then rather crap on women for their age then honor and respect them. They rather sit around telling themselves they are better then women for their age while putting women down for theirs, then treat women like people. It doesn't matter if the woman is young or old. We all age. So whatever idea a man holds about an older woman, he also holds about that younger woman. Because she will age too.

And I liked what you said about elaborating on my comments about what men choose to brag about when it comes to women. Such as their age. That is why I said that it's just as disrespectful to that younger woman. Look at posters like 1234 and Dasein, out of all the things they could compliment their partneres on they choose their younger age then them. And the reason why these posters have done that is because to them, it's all about *them* as men getting theirs. So instead of truly complimenting their previous or current partners on their accomplishments or kind hearts, they choose to compliment them on their age because these guys think their ability to be with young women is a mark of their own worth. Who wants to really be with a guy like that? No woman does.

No, there are not two types of men in the world--this type of duality does not exist. No, no more brainwashing of those younger than you... there's no reason for it. It does matter how old a person is because we all do Not grow old... we all die. No one in this thread wants to hear about any type of realistic male perspective and would rather create one for themselves I see. It's mostly women whining and making things up as they go along like usual. I have no idea what glee is, nor puffing out a chest.

"They shouldn't. And I actually think that with less incentive for women to be tied down today, with men not even wanting to take the financial responsibilities they use to take, that there are probably less women settling for older guys then there use to be."

This is just pure fantasy land speak here. Shouldn't? I would avoid using this word. The rest of that isn't even a rational thought.

I've come to conclude that not a single person here remotely understands the psyche of the aged man that goes after youth.

Disenchantedly Yours
For that matter men who don't approach women have no business telling men who do whom they can and can't approach. Whether I used "people" or "women" the intent was quite clear. Stop nitpicking. No one who doesn't regularly approach women, has any business dictating whom one may or may not approach. And you know what, it's irrelevant in the end, NO ONE AT ALL has any business -whatsoever- telling anyone whom they can or can't approach. There, that clear enough for you?

Where did anyone specifically tell someone else who they can or can’t approach? Telling someone who they can or can’t approach is totally a different topic from talking about social issues that exist between the genders in terms of who they pick.

By the way, as a human being in the dating world, I have every business to talk about issues I see among men and women. YOU actually have no business dictating what people can and can’t talk about things. I have approached men a “few” times. You tell me how many number of times I needed to have approached a man to make me “worthy” to talk about a subject.

Issues that affect men and women are all our business. Which is why we talk about the subject. So get off your high horse about who is allowed to talk about what based on only on *your* personal criteria only.

And no, as much as you would like it to, the written device, "Until women do this or that," is not -telling- them to do anything, nor is it laying -blame- on them, but rather stating that people who don't engage in an activity generally have no right to attribute wrong to those who do unless the people in question are doing something illegal. Despite how much you and red robin want to find something "wrong" in older men approaching younger women in and of itself, it's a nonstarter. Keep beating the dead horse some more.

Again, please give us a number on how many times a woman has had to approach a man to make her opinion worthy enough? You have no right to tell people what they are allowed to talk about and not. You have no right to tell people what issues should or shouldn’t affect them.

Issues regarding age, race, money affect us at different times in different relationships sometimes. And the fact that we are all human beings here that have human experiences in love gives all of us a right to talk about whatever issues we think concern us without people like you acting like you are the superior dictator in who gets to talk about what.

And yes, own the fact that you are “blaming” women and suggesting that if they became more pro-active that this would somehow solve the issue being talked here. It is utter nonsense.

No, I didn't forget, and the particular example is irrelevant. Men have died protecting women for thousands of years, do so today, and will in all likelihood, continue to do so. If you want to offer any rational reasons why they will not continue to do so besides "men are bad," feel free. Historical fact is on my side. Or keep on beating -this- particular dead horse.

Okay well don’t give examples like Titantic and then talk about how it’s irrelevant when it’s used back against you. The Titantic thing is a popular example of the injustices men think they faced on popular MRM sites. But you don’t even want to acknowledge the women that have also sacrificed their lives for their families or for their country and that is simply insulting. At least I think men deserve credit for such acts of heroism. You can’t even admit that women have done the same through out history.

I'm not the one who said that approaching people is not a right.

LOL. It’s not. No one is entitled to or has the right to approach someone just because they want to. The other day someone said something insulting to me. They did not have the right to do that. They had the freedom to do it, but not the right.

It's a right. Certain kinds of speech are regulated, approaching strangers in a non-threatening way is not one. The First Amendment is not "bullcrap," and I bet you don't want to hear that men died to obtain that precious right for you, but they did. Value the rights others won for you, whether they are applied in ways you don't like by others or not, or don't and lose them forever.

I shouldn't have to be conducting a civics lesson in this thread.

I haven’t seen you conduct one civics lesson yet.

Again, all I can do is “lol”. Because i never said the First Amendment was bullcrap. I said it was bullcrap when people used the First Amendment to justify anything under the sun of what they want to do. And I do agree. VALUE the rights of others. But valuing the rights of others doesn’t mean anyone is entitled to talk to, say or approach someone else. Again, they certainly have the FREEDOM to do that. But not the “right” to do it just because they “want” to.

Take that as a brag if you like, it wasn't, but so what if it was? Am I supposed to feel bad for something?

Make up your mind. First you say it wasn’t a brag, then you ask me “so what if it was”. All I am saying is that bragging about the age of the women you date is not a mark of your superiority like men who brag about such things think it is. And you are disrespecting the woman you are “bragging” about. You are bragging about something she didn’t *do* anything to be or accomplish. You are bragging about something that naturally happens to all of us. Most of us have or will become 23. And that’s not because of our accomplishments. Out of all the things you could say about a woman, you and men like you, choose to prize their age and see it as a reflection of your worth. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t have bragged about it to begin with. which tells me that you lack self confidence in yourself and you also don’t really appreciate women as people so much as you appreciate what you can get from a woman based on her age. That’s not about liking women. That’s not even about love.

Moar dead horse, will it never end?

If you don’t wan to discuss the topic, don’t. That choice is yours.

But don’t keep talking about the dead horse only after you’ve had your say and only after YOU have responded. Don’t want to talk about the topic? Don’t. If you think you are beating a dead horse. Then simply don’t do it. Problem solved.

• Like 3
Disenchantedly Yours
Hun dont be so negative. Not all men are like this. Only the insecure ones. I love appreciate women for who they are no matter what their age is.

And I dont think men are inherently better than women.

I'm glad to hear that Kaylan. And actually, young or older, women want to be with men that love and appreciate WOMEN. Not just "young" women.

Disenchantedly Yours
Men tend to naturally gravitate towards younger women. I'm pretty sure it's of biological nature, since globally, on average, women in couples tend to be 4 years younger than their male partners.

Also when I look on dating websites, then I see most women indicating they're looking for a guy that's older than them, rather than younger.

Personally I don't focus on age, but rather if I feel attracted to her and if I think we can both be happy together.

I actually think it has more to do with social norms then biological ones. After all, it's at about 30 when men's sperm begins to decline. Men don't get "better" with age in the biological sense. Anymore then women do. Our country is founded on a patriarchy. While roles of men and women are changing, alot of that stuff still runs deep. I think women and men are socialized certain ways because older men, back in the day, wanted to compete with their younger more attractive counterparts. But men have lost some economic power. Women no longer have to settle for rich older guys. And as you can see, more women are choosing and open to younger men then ever before in history.

And really, if after the age of 30, a man still isn't mature enough, he never will be.

• Like 1
Disenchantedly Yours
Well of course, why would a guy date someone he doesn't like?

Because she is young and pretty. And is blinded by it. It's that whole "she's so pretty" thing. He doesn't really see her as a person. These men have placed their worth in the woman's age. These men are the kind of men that brag or talk about the age of the women they dated. Especialy over mentioning anything else about them.

You can tell the difference between men that honestly like women and men that only like women for when they are young. And it would do any woman well, young or old, to aviod the lather type of man.

The real issue IMO is that people who are unhappy leaving other people alone can't help but to say things that are hurtful or snarky when they see a couple with an age difference.

He only wants one thing. She's a gold digger. He can't handle a real woman. She has daddy issues. On and on it goes, you only need to search threads like this one to see comments like this.

Thoes comments get made because that's usually the case 9 times out of 10. That's the reality. Those comments aren't stereotyped because they aren't true. They are true alot of the time.

• Like 1

There is really no mystery as to why aging men go for younger women. Youth is very attractive. I would say that women are attracted to younger men for that matter for the same reasons men are - they look good and virile. I think that most women are more realistic about age differences over a certain number and try to mate with a man closer to their age. I also don't think that most women care who a man dates or desires as long as he is respectful and doesn't purposely try to put down others who are not in his desired age range. Those that do seem to be coming from a place of bitterness perhaps because of being rejected by women earlier in their life and wanting to inflict pain to make themselves feel better. It's really kind of sad.

• Like 1
If you consider the suggestion from scientists that youth=fertile=healthy babies, then the odds do seem stacked against older females.

It's more then a suggestion and actually an observation. In general, older women don't make the healthiest babies. Can they make a healthier baby then a 20 year old? Of course! But it's still an instinctual and practical feeling for a male to make.

At the same time it is sad, and I appreciate the frustration older women have, especially when you aren't looking to have babies. You'd think more men could switch off their natural desires and just be with whoever matches them on a personality level, but many guys simply can't do that. I don't believe many women can either.

I don't think the sexes are all that different in this case, women probably want a healthy guy, right? The fact that a guy's sperm is considered "healthy" most of his life is certainly an advantage though, for sure.

Disenchantedly Yours

I don't think the sexes are all that different in this case, women probably want a healthy guy, right? The fact that a guy's sperm is considered "healthy" most of his life is certainly an advantage though, for sure.

But that's not true. Men's sperm begins to decline by 30. At 40, it's breaking down quicker and quicker. The same biological pitfalls that come to women, come to men. Nature didn't create a structure where older men got "healther" and older women got "unhealthier". It also didn't create a system where it wanted men with their decreasing sperm to mate as much as their younger counterparts. Which is why alot of older men naturally suffer from ED and other sexual issues.

Look. No one is saying women remain young forever. But we really need to wake up about how men age. Holding ideals about how men don't age and how his sperm is "healthy" most of his life is only going to be detrimental to that man's kids. Men need to wake up about this. Your children will be the ones to pay the price. Women are already aware of their age and how it affects children. It's time men be as well.

I have a lot of friends now having babies and want not. I have heard conversations with my gfs where their men where talked about their aging process and lack of fertility. A medical doctor will recommand that men and women have children sooner then later from a purely biological perspective. No doctor will ever tell a man to wait to have kids into his 30s or 40s. That's the reality.

• Like 1
But that's not true.

It was merely the perception I was pointing out, not the actually way it works. I 100% agree men should learn how this is simply not the case, but really we all should be more aware of it.

i'm entitled to hit on any woman i happen across in public. they are welcome to

walk away. welcome to earth.

Sure. And these days, there is the chance that your behavior will have bigger consequences than just her walking away. If she happens to be in a position to influence your life in some way down the road, you will be burning a bridge.

Something to think about.

well, young women generally lie about what what they want and don't want what is good for them in terms of relationships, so no, i don't give a rat's ass, honestly.

Yea right. Last time I checked, men didn't have any lock on self-awareness.

aha! that's why. you're offended because the guy in question didn't accurately read your mind, and you're offended because your world didn't lay itself at your feet just the way you want it to.

No mind reading required. Just reality check on his part. And giving up the adolescent male version of Santa Claus and the Toothfairy fantasies that some men carry about younger women.

I corrected him and we went on our way. Not without some damage to our friendship though.

given the above stereotypical analysis of the average woman in her 20s, tell me why anyone would want to be a 'friend and mentor' to someone like that?

Because they need friends and mentors. But I can see altruism isn't high on some poster's lists. Which is my point exactly.

• Like 1