Here comes the bride...

LB, just have whatever day you want! You have waited long enough with bitten nails and all your hair pulled out lol

Dont get stressed

Well I for one can't wait to see LBs photos- she is going to look amazing.

Did you have any luck with your dress LB?

It will be an amazing day for them- and its exciting to have been following the love story.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Well I for one can't wait to see LBs photos- she is going to look amazing.

Did you have any luck with your dress LB?

It will be an amazing day for them- and its exciting to have been following the love story.

No, I'm not sure what we are going to do about the dress yet. Whenever my mom gets back from the beach we will go look at it and hopefully it won't get discontinued. I'm nervous about ordering a dress off the internet or somewhere else other than the store because what if it is messed up or something? Or the dress is ripped? I had that happen to a friend who ordered a dress off the internet off of another discount site and the hem was torn and it was the wrong size and well as the wrong color. So I want to save myself the stress of that happening.

That is def. going to be the dress though, I wonder if you can put it on layaway at the store.

Rollercoasterr

I think it's definately worth a shot to call and ask them about the layaway thing. Even if they say no, at least you tried.

And one of the girls I work with found a website from some company in China I think that made knockoffs of dresses made by designers. She paid $200 for a $2000 dress. Let me just say that you get what you pay for with those kind of websites. The material was cheap, it was torn when she got it and didn't look a thing like what she had fell in love with. She ended up wasting the $200 because she threw it in the trash right there and went and paid the $2000. I would be very careful if you buy a dress on the internet. I'm sure that there will be sellers and companies that wont scam you, but there are more than enough that will and not feel bad about it.

Btw,

I wouldn't go for the "you have to buy the dress right now because it takes so long to make or else it'll disappear"

You can go any day to a store, and get the most fantastic dress for little cash if you know where to look.

I'm sure there are tons of places like that where you get to pick from amazing dresses for all tastes, even designer's stuff, outlets and such.

Just the fact that you are being pressured is not a good sign.

blind_otter

When I got married to my exH I took pictures of the bridesmaid dresses that I wanted to a good seamstress that my mother knew. We found the fabric at an outlet store for cheap and she made the dresses - they were lovely and no one knew they were "knock offs".

LB-

The store are pressuring you because they want your money.

My dress was an off the rack style that needed altering- and it WAS made in a factory in China and thats why they said it took so long, they actually told me it had to be made there. It was amazing quality too, so not everything made there is a dud.

However I just couldn't bring myself to commit to it (and its pricetag) so early- this was a year and three months before our wedding, just like you.

If you are finding the SAME dress (ie style/designer etc) chances are the fabric quality etc will be identical to the brand new one.

When I found the same dress as mine online being sold by an individual seller, she sent me TONS of photos of the dress from all angles, and luckily she lived within a couple of hours drive from me, so I took my MIL and went to look at it before we decided to buy it. The seller was totally cool with that and we were reassured that the dress was in great condition before we bought it.

If you buy through an auction site or a second hand wedding dress site and they don't specify any flaws- you are protected and can get your money back from the site, its part of the T&C. (ie Ebay etc)

The thing about wedding dresses is- most of the time they have only been worn once.

Little things can be rectified easily, especially if you have a good dressmaker doing the alterations. Hems are the things that end up tearing- but you aren't that tall so chances are you will have to have that taken up anyway.

My dress had a couple of tiny tiny pen marks on the back of the bodice, and my dressmaker just copied the beading on the dress to cover them up- you couldn't see them at all.

Just food for thought for you LB, because I was in exactly the same predicament as you.

I wouldn't put the dress on layaway just yet, because that is basically a commitment to buying it and you won't get your deposit back if you change your mind.

The dress isn't going to suddenly disappear from stores- SG found quite a few listings for the same dress, so you will be able to get it later on if you do a little research now.

Anyway- if it is the ONE it doesn't really matter what you do, its totally up to you, I just hate those pushy bridal stores who lie to you about their dresses just to make you spend money there.

I agree with SB.

They said the same thing to my BFF about her dress being discontinued, and guess what? The same exact dress still exists, just under a different model name. I even saw it on another bride at a wedding I went to just 2 weeks ago! She loved the dress so much she just bought it right and then and there, but she was kicking herself as the year went on and she saw it for 30% of it's price at some other sites.

So don't be fooled, SB! Call corporate at Alfred Angelo if you're really worried.

Also, how do you think dress shops make their money? Crazy markups! If you buy from a website NOW, you can fix any problems that may arise from buying the dress sight unseen, including buying a completely different dress, if need be.

I'm not sure layaway will solve the problem - don't they usually charge another fee for that, like 10% or something?

Glad you found the dress of your dreams, LB. Are you getting a crown to go with it? Not crown...shoot, I always forget the name of that thing. Oh yeah, tiara.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Glad you found the dress of your dreams, LB. Are you getting a crown to go with it? Not crown...shoot, I always forget the name of that thing. Oh yeah, tiara.

Yes, I am planning on wearing a tiara. It's real pretty, matches the dress really well.

Citizen Erased

:laugh:

The dress is lovely LB. Really, if it feels right, it's your dress. But don't be in a rush to buy it this very minute. Wait until your mother sees it, don't stress. And I would only buy it from the store too, to me it's not worth the potential risk. Especially as it is your mother's money. ;)

:laugh:

The dress is lovely LB. Really, if it feels right, it's your dress. But don't be in a rush to buy it this very minute. Wait until your mother sees it, don't stress. And I would only buy it from the store too, to me it's not worth the potential risk. Especially as it is your mother's money. ;)

Why did you laugh at my post? The crown will go nicely with that dress.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Why did you laugh at my post? The crown will go nicely with that dress.

She laughed that you called it a crown I think. LOL I'll admit that I did too.

She laughed that you called it a crown I think. LOL I'll admit that I did too.

:laugh: Oh yeah. Now I'm embarrassed. I have a mental block for the word "tiara" for some reason.

Touche, you have a mental block for the word "tiara" for a reason.

You're bad.

LB, what about the shoes?

Yeah, what about the shoes? I think glass slippers uhm, I mean shoes would go nicely.:)

Get the full effect. I'd go for a horse drawn carriage too complete with footmen.

Your mom must be having a ball (no pun intended) planning this.:bunny:

I'm not bad, T. I just didn't think you'd be able to think of the word "tiara," because you're 100% not the type of woman who'd ever wear one to begin with.

I'm not bad, T. I just didn't think you'd be able to think of the word "tiara," because you're 100% not the type of woman who'd ever wear one to begin with.

:laugh: Well this is true. I didn't even choose white for that matter. I don't know what it is about me and the white dress thing. It was never me. I chose ivory.

I'm sure you'll make a lovely bride LB. Just teasing a little. Like my new avvy?

;)

• Author
Lauriebell82
Yeah, what about the shoes? I think glass slippers uhm, I mean shoes would go nicely.:)

Get the full effect. I'd go for a horse drawn carriage too complete with footmen.

Your mom must be having a ball (no pun intended) planning this.:bunny:

No glass slippers for me, that's a little over the top. My aunt is nuts and suggested a horse drawn carriage. I jokingly told my fiance and he looked at me like I was nuts. We are going for the limo, besides I doubt the cops in our city would ever allow any kind of horse drawn carriage in the downtown area. lol

I'm not sure about the shoes yet, they had nice ones at David's Bridal but the ones at Alfred Angelo have really high heels and I think I'd fall and kill myself if I wore anything like that. I'll probably just shop elsewhere for shoes, I'm sure I can pick up a cute white pair at a shoe store somewhere and they would be massively cheaper than in a bridal store.

And yeah my mom (and all 4 aunts) are having a blast with this. I think they are living their wedding through me or something. They all have good intentions though.

LB, ignore the ribbing.

Every bride is entitled to have the wedding of HER dreams. So, if yours is a Cinderella (princess) wedding with all the trimmings, then by all means - have it!

It IS your special and magical day. And should be exactly as you want it to be. :)

• Author
Lauriebell82
LB, ignore the ribbing.

Every bride is entitled to have the wedding of HER dreams. So, if yours is a Cinderella (princess) wedding with all the trimmings, then by all means - have it!

It IS your special and magical day. And should be exactly as you want it to be. :)

We are planning on having some kind of party favor with a fairly tale kind of theme, I'm not sure what a good thing would be though.

Uhm yeah, I was just teasing about the glass slippers.:p

And ignore the ribbing only if you don't have a sense of humor about yourself. I get that some people don't so if you're one of those then by all means ignore the all-in-good-fun teasing.;)

We are planning on having some kind of party favor with a fairly tale kind of theme, I'm not sure what a good thing would be though.

How about little pumpkins at each place setting? That would be cute. You know those teeny pumpkins?

• Author
Lauriebell82
How about little pumpkins at each place setting? That would be cute. You know those teeny pumpkins?

Yeah, that is a good idea. It's not so much the actual "Cinderella" theme but more like a fairly tale theme though.