Here comes the bride...

Congratulations, It's always nice to hear when good things happen to people. All the best, hope everything works out brilliantly - now go enjoy :bunny::bunny::bunny:

ps the ring looks stunning (pixelated ???) :cool:

Yeah... the picture of the ring is 'clear' not pixelated at my end..

we must be looking at it under halogen lights for it to come through so clearly :p

*runs to jewelry box to grab 10th anniversary diamond ring to get full effect*

• Author
Lauriebell82

Thanks guys, the ring is so beautiful. It is so sparkely and huge! I keep staring at my hand, I can't help it! It is the absolute perfect ring. We don't know what we are going to do about a wedding, I think places get booked real fast so I don't even know when we would even be able to get anything. Maybe we could have like a Sunday wedding or something. I never thought of that but I guess it wouldn't be any different then Saturday and I think you get a discount. This is finally happening, I can't even believe it!!!

LB-

Something to consider re: wedding dates and venues.

Sunday weddings are discounted and easier to book, however it depends on how many out of town guests you are having. Saturday weddings are easier for them because they can travel Fri night, and go home Sunday. A sunday wedding means that they may have to travel home monday.

Also, as tempting as it is to have it on a holiday long weekend, if its this year, many people may have already made plans.

We sent a "save the date" email around before we had confirmed our venue, just to make sure people had heaps of notice for booking flights etc.

(I know its your day, but its nice to consider some things with respect to your guests, they will appreciate it. Having said that, you won't be able to please absolutely everybody, and thats always a way of keeping the guest list under control!).

When are you thinking of having it? This year?

• Author
Lauriebell82
LB-

Something to consider re: wedding dates and venues.

Sunday weddings are discounted and easier to book, however it depends on how many out of town guests you are having. Saturday weddings are easier for them because they can travel Fri night, and go home Sunday. A sunday wedding means that they may have to travel home monday.

Also, as tempting as it is to have it on a holiday long weekend, if its this year, many people may have already made plans.

We sent a "save the date" email around before we had confirmed our venue, just to make sure people had heaps of notice for booking flights etc.

(I know its your day, but its nice to consider some things with respect to your guests, they will appreciate it. Having said that, you won't be able to please absolutely everybody, and thats always a way of keeping the guest list under control!).

When are you thinking of having it? This year?

Well we were thinking about Spring/Summer 2010. But I called some places and the dates are gone already!!! All they have is like spring dates and my fiance's brother (the best man) still has commitments with college because he is graduated. So I don't know if a weekend in May would be possible. We were thinking Sunday, I spoke with my fiance's mom today (she started screaming over the phone when we told her!) and she said she would take care of his side of the family as they live out of town. I like the "save the date" idea, we will def. do that because of the out of towners. His mom also said that she would speak to them about accomodations and that a lot won't come since they would have to travel to our city.

I can't even believe how fast everything went, I mean it's like a year in advance you'd think there would be plenty of dates. The lady i talked to said that usually people will get engaged over xmas and reserve dates for the summer of the following year..so like a year and a half!

Trialbyfire

Sunday weddings means that people can't stay as late and party, during the reception.

Also, not every church will allow weddings on Sunday, since it's the Sabbath and also because of their regular services.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Sunday weddings means that people can't stay as late and party, during the reception.

Also, not every church will allow weddings on Sunday, since it's the Sabbath and also because of their regular services.

Well my fiance's family doesn't drink so that eliminates half of them. Also our reception will end at 10 so if they want to go party at a bar they may do so. Plus people start getting up and leaving around like 10ish, so making it a long reception would probably be a waste of money (most places charge for extra hours).

Yeah, my mom said the same thing regarding Sunday weddings, that some churches won't allow it. We will call some places and see what they think about it. We have been engaged for a short time and already I can feel the chaos! I swore to my fiance that I would not be bridezilla, I hope I can keep my word.

This is finally happening, I can't even believe it!!!

Congrats LB!!! :D It was definitely worth the wait! :bunny:

Well,

What do you know?

Lauriebell is getting married! :love::laugh:

Congratulations LB!!!

And many many years of happiness and many many children. :love:

amaysngrace

Congratulations LB! :bunny:

I'm so happy for you because I know how badly you wanted this to happen. So I'm happy that you're happy. :)

I just got a save the date magnet. It's really very cute. It has a picture of both of them on it and I hung it on my fridge. They are getting married on a Friday night in August.

I love love. :love:

LB, also take a good look at what things you can do to cut down on costs and stress.

when my BF got married, she had decided that renting a bridal gown and hat and shoes and the foundation garments from a nicer consignment store was the best route because she had stood in like a dozen weddings and had a closet full of dresses she never wore again (and I think because she's the only girl in the family, she inherits her mama's gown).

the girl who was engaged to her little brother is from a family who has a flower shop, so they donated those as their wedding gift, it amounted to a few displays, coursages, bouquets (modest ones) and a special bouquet of roses that she and her husband had set up next to his deceased dad's photo.

she and her husband and their parents split the food costs four ways, and she found a restaurant in the town she was living in that would cater the meal on site, provide the cake AND set up any decorations she wanted, so they saved a bundle there.

it was probably the nicest (meaning stress-free) weddings I've been to or heard of ...

Well we were thinking about Spring/Summer 2010. But I called some places and the dates are gone already!!!

I can't even believe how fast everything went, I mean it's like a year in advance you'd think there would be plenty of dates. The lady i talked to said that usually people will get engaged over xmas and reserve dates for the summer of the following year..so like a year and a half!

Well, thats weddings for you. Where I live, the peak wedding season is Jan-Feb, and you do have to book at least a year in advance.

Don't worry though- keep trying venues, you will find something.

Personally, I still am not so keen on the idea of a Sunday wedding, but hey, see how things go.

Well my fiance's family doesn't drink so that eliminates half of them. Also our reception will end at 10 so if they want to go party at a bar they may do so. Plus people start getting up and leaving around like 10ish, so making it a long reception would probably be a waste of money (most places charge for extra hours).

Yeah, my mom said the same thing regarding Sunday weddings, that some churches won't allow it. We will call some places and see what they think about it. We have been engaged for a short time and already I can feel the chaos! I swore to my fiance that I would not be bridezilla, I hope I can keep my word.

Hey LB- getting married is alot (i think) like having being pregnant and having a baby.

Its a really happy exciting time, but everyone has an opinion on how they think things should be done. (and you can bet there are LOTS of different opinions) And YOU have been dreaming about this day for a long time, and probably have quite a clear picture in your head of how YOU want things to go.

Someone said to me when I got engaged that to avoid being a bridezilla is to remember that while it may be YOUR day, its also a big big day for your families, and to respect that when you are making all your plans, however difficult it may be.

Sometimes (as was my case) that may just be as simple as agreeing with everything your future MIL says and then doing things your way in the end rather than argue with her. By the time the wedding day actually came around she was so happy and excited she forgot most of what she had said to me.

Number one way to avoid being a bridezilla- involve your fiance in all the decision making regarding the wedding. Ask his opinion on things. Some things (like bridesmaids dresses, your dress, hairdressers etc) he may not be so concerned about, but for big things like the date, the venue, the music, the guests, the cake, the invitations, flowers and decorations, check with him first before you book or decide on anything.

I didn't think my H cared that much about wedding stuff, but it turned out he had a clear idea of what he wanted to do for our invitations and table settings (he made personalised ones from our travel photos and they looked amazing), and he was adamant he wanted a band.

Involving him every step of the way meant we both got what we wanted (or compromised) and it was about us rather than just the bride.

And if you are running everything by him and making decisions together, you can't possibly be a "its all about ME bridezilla"

Quanks post was good too-

I think my biggest mistake was not delegating tasks early enough, and stressing myself out in the lead up to the wedding.

In the end, the bridesmaids and my friends and family were only too happy to do stuff and the wedding went without a hitch.

My other advice is- get the best photographer you can afford. Scrimp on other parts if necessary. People won't remember the flowers or the cake, but you will always want look back on the photos, as they are your record of the day.

We were pretty disappointed with our photographer, and found out after the wedding that she was the same price as another one who was miles miles better. I wish we had shopped around

I am getting overexcited re: wedding stuff and you have only been engaged 5 minutes!

congrats LB! how exciting.

What helped me a lot in my wedding planning was what I call my wedding book. It was a big three ring binder that I divided up into sections. I had a section for each piece of the wedding with ideas, quoptes, contracts etc... so helpful.

shadowplay

:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Congrats!!!!!!!! You must be so elated!!!! :love::love::love::love:

Kind of puts the naysayers to shame! :laugh:

Your ring is gorgeous, btw.

curiousnycgirl

Just had to add my woohoo and :bunny::bunny::bunny:to the mix - yippee for Laurie and her fiance!!!

When I saw the title of this thread and that you are the OP, I was keeping my fingers crossed...

And sure enough! YAY, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

I'm so happy for you!!! :)

Congratulations LB!!! :bunny::bunny::bunny: I got engaged a couple of months so I know all about that new feeling--staring endlessly at the ring and finally going from 'boyfriend' to 'fiance'--sounds weird! haha Your ring is nearly identical to mine too. And your right, it does really sparkle and shine!

I'm going to do save the date as well. Not sure if by email or do a little card. But we're in a LDR and most of his family are across the big pond so they'll need lots of notice to save for a flight, etc.

Trialbyfire

It's your first wedding so I expect you'll be bridezilla! :laugh:

At least you don't have two Momzillas but on the otherhand, they're a great resource, since they insist on doing all the work. Just don't let Momzilla's manage, sending you running around like a chicken with your head cut off. With my first wedding, that's what my Mom tried to do and I put my foot down on it, so now she knows that if she wants something a certain way, she has to step up to the plate. ;)

Train your parents. :laugh:

congratulations, lauriebell. i have seen several of your posts over the last year or so and was genuinely pleased for you to read this one.

i hope your wedding planning goes smoothly...i am learning it's much more of a pain in the ass than i'd ever anticipated...and i wish you luck in your married life.

Star Gazer

Wow, I'm honestly shocked I missed this! I've been eagerly waiting for this post since you found out the when and where of the proposal, actually clicking on this very forum too! CONGRATS, LB! I know this is what you've been wanting for a long time, so I'm very, very happy for you. :) The ring is absolutely gorgeous! Are you waving it around at people? Haha... I know I would be! :) Like, "Oh wow, look at that, I have to sneeze [insert gesture to cover nose with left hand and stare at the person in front of you]." So exciting!

Lots of engagements in 2009... :love: 'Tis definitely a great year! ;)

As for wedding planning, go with whatever works for YOU and your DF. Like TBF said, "train the parents." This is your day, not theirs. :bunny: