Here comes the bride...

Congratulations lauriebell! :)

I'm getting married this year and we're having a Sunday wedding with a lunch reception. Our families aren't too religious so this works out fine for us, plus it saves a lot of money! It all depends on what you want to do, how much money you have to spend, and who's paying for it. Personally I didn't care which day we had it so the cheapest option won.

• Author
Lauriebell82

I finally have some time to respond, thanks soooo much everyone!!! I really appreciate all your posts. It almost feels like I'm dreaming right now because this is so wonderful. Its weird to type with this ring on my finger because I never wear rings and because it's huge! I haven't gotten a chance to show anyone because we are actually in Ocean City, MD celebrating! I did get to show my aunts when we went to visit them and they met my fiance for the first time. They told my mom later that they all loved him so much and thought the ring was so beautiful. I can't imagine what everyone at home will say about it.

It was funny what SG said, my friend told me that she used to "fake yawn" or scratch her face to show her ring to people who hadn't heard of her engagement. I got some plans to do that myself. :D My fiance (that's cool to say!) calls my ring "my bling."

We found out that we will need to move the date of our wedding which kind of stinks, however the venue we want is gorgeous, it's this huge cinderella ballroom with big pillars, marble floors, and this huge balcony. We are so excited! I need to get one of those wedding planner books, does anyone have any suggestions for a good one?

Star Gazer

Ha! Ah yes, the fake yawn. A friend of mine did that... played with her bangs, yawned, waived smoke away... it took 3 minutes to notice the ring! (Hers was smaller though. ;))

I'm impressed you were able to pick a venue already - that was light speed fast! It sounds beautiful, and you're lucky it's within your budget. Something like that in NorCal would probably run $5-10K just for the facility fee alone (no food, booze, flowers, etc.).

IME with friends, the venue was the hardest thing to pick - everything else was a piece of cake, including the cake! Haha... It just takes a lot of organization. Perhaps you should hire a wedding planner? Or enlist the help of your bridal party?

Wedding planning is so exciting. My BF's brother just got engaged too. I think there's something in the air.... :love:

That's so awesome for you! I'm glad he was able to surprise you as he was planning to do.

I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing about all the fun wedding planning stories.

CONGRATS!!!! We got a sweet wedding planner book at Target! But we also looked at Barnes and Noble and other bookstores. There are lots of good options out there! We are getting married next September 2010, we already have our venue, photographer, and DJ! It totally pays to get things done early. CONGRATS!!!

• Author
Lauriebell82
Ha! Ah yes, the fake yawn. A friend of mine did that... played with her bangs, yawned, waived smoke away... it took 3 minutes to notice the ring! (Hers was smaller though. ;))

You can notice my ring from like across the room it's so huge. And it sparkles in the light. It's my bling :D

I'm impressed you were able to pick a venue already - that was light speed fast! It sounds beautiful, and you're lucky it's within your budget. Something like that in NorCal would probably run $5-10K just for the facility fee alone (no food, booze, flowers, etc.).

IME with friends, the venue was the hardest thing to pick - everything else was a piece of cake, including the cake! Haha... It just takes a lot of organization. Perhaps you should hire a wedding planner? Or enlist the help of your bridal party?

Well one of my bridesmaids had gone to a wedding at this venue and she said it was absolutely beautiful! I called for availability after we got engaged and they only had a few dates left, I was really shocked! They have dates in September 2010, so that looks like our only option. I heard it is beautiful though and I am excited to go see it.

I think wedding planners are expensive, they offer a wedding planner for the reception at this venue for free so that's what will need to the most planning for.

Oh funny story, we went for a walk and got back to our room where the maid had cleaned our hotel room. We found our bottle of Astro and the little mermaid dvd on the nightstand and she had made the bed and put my teddy bear on top! She probably thinks we have some weird kinky sex games!! Ugh, so embarrassing!!!

Star Gazer
You can notice my ring from like across the room it's so huge. And it sparkles in the light. It's my bling :D

Fess up. How many carats? :D

Well one of my bridesmaids had gone to a wedding at this venue and she said it was absolutely beautiful! I called for availability after we got engaged and they only had a few dates left, I was really shocked! They have dates in September 2010, so that looks like our only option. I heard it is beautiful though and I am excited to go see it.

I think wedding planners are expensive, they offer a wedding planner for the reception at this venue for free so that's what will need to the most planning for.

Just make sure you see the place yourself before you put a deposit down!

September is a beautiful time of year. Me thinks someday I'll pick a date in September too. ;)

Oh funny story, we went for a walk and got back to our room where the maid had cleaned our hotel room. We found our bottle of Astro and the little mermaid dvd on the nightstand and she had made the bed and put my teddy bear on top! She probably thinks we have some weird kinky sex games!! Ugh, so embarrassing!!!

Ahahahahaaaaaa!!! :lmao:

• Author
Lauriebell82
Fess up. How many carats? :D

1 carat, very beautiful and shiny!!!

I Luv the Chariot OH

congrats laurie, you've been waiting for this such a long time! i had a feeling you two would make it :)

• Author
Lauriebell82
congrats laurie, you've been waiting for this such a long time! i had a feeling you two would make it :)

Thanks! Its really everything I always dreamed of. I'm so happy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, LB! :bunny:

I'm so happy to finally be able to say...I told you so!!

Thanks everyone!

The proposal was sweet, we went out to dinner then came home and he went in the bedroom while I was still in the living room. He came up to me and told me he loved me and hugged me. I felt him fiddling around in his pocket and he just whipped out this ring in a box, got down on one knee and proposed while opening the box. Of course I said yes and now we are getting married! It was the sweetest proposal in the whole world and he really shocked me! I had no clue!!!

I have to smile a little at this. It sounds like a lovely, sweet proposal, but I can't believe this was the big surprise he had been planning for so long. I was expecting sky writing at the beach or something. He's a meat and potatoes guy, isn't he? :)

• Author
Lauriebell82
Congratulations, LB! :bunny:

I'm so happy to finally be able to say...I told you so!!

I have to smile a little at this. It sounds like a lovely, sweet proposal, but I can't believe this was the big surprise he had been planning for so long. I was expecting sky writing at the beach or something. He's a meat and potatoes guy, isn't he? :)

Thanks! I know it was a very very simple proposal, I was thinking the same thing. He said he was going to plan something more elaborate, however he wanted to catch me off guard and just shock me. And he totally did.

• 3 weeks later...

Bloody hell when did this happen and why have I just seen it??????????

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

LB you are soooooo going to be the bride-to-be from hell hahhaha I am so happy for you!!

You got just what you have always wanted and that is so lovely to see

Again, congrats xx

• Author
Lauriebell82
Bloody hell when did this happen and why have I just seen it??????????

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

LB you are soooooo going to be the bride-to-be from hell hahhaha I am so happy for you!!

You got just what you have always wanted and that is so lovely to see

Again, congrats xx

Thanks! It happened like a month ago actually. It was very sweet. We started planning a little bit and found the venue and church. It's not until September 18th, 2010 due to us not being able to get a date until then for our venue.

So far I haven't been TOO much of a bridezilla, my mom can be a little pushy sometimes. Fiance and I rehearsed a line to say to her "That's an interesting idea, I will discuss it with fiance and we will consider it." It's worked so far so we'll see.

He's being real sweet too, we had a rocky beginning but boy are we going strong now!!! :D

Thanks! It happened like a month ago actually. It was very sweet. We started planning a little bit and found the venue and church. It's not until September 18th, 2010 due to us not being able to get a date until then for our venue.

Good for you, LB! :bunny: The couple I was referring to in the other thread hasn't even looked for a venue yet, and they want to get married in less than a year (May 2010) in a very popular part of the state that I suspect is already booked through early 2011. I worry they're going to be disappointed...

I'm excited to hear about your dress shopping and stuff too. :) I'm so girly.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Good for you, LB! :bunny: The couple I was referring to in the other thread hasn't even looked for a venue yet, and they want to get married in less than a year (May 2010) in a very popular part of the state that I suspect is already booked through early 2011. I worry they're going to be disappointed...

I'm excited to hear about your dress shopping and stuff too. :) I'm so girly.

Thanks! Here is the dress I looked at it in the store. The lady told me that dresses take a long time to order, mine will take 4 months to even come back, not even altered. So she said it was probably smart of me to start looking now.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=41822d37-6cf9-486a-bb75-baecf5112994&categoryID=54246401-6ad2-4745-894e-d0dc006d72c8&pg=2

Have a look around before you order anything- my dress was an off the rack style that had to be ordered and altered etc- it was going to take 4 months.

I think alot of those kind of dresses are made in China and thats why they take so long.

I googled the exact style of dress and found someone selling it on ebay and it hadn't been worn- fraction of the cost and I just got a friend to do the alterations.

So I got to spend more on my lovely lovely shoes.... :)

• Author
Lauriebell82
Have a look around before you order anything- my dress was an off the rack style that had to be ordered and altered etc- it was going to take 4 months.

I think alot of those kind of dresses are made in China and thats why they take so long.

I googled the exact style of dress and found someone selling it on ebay and it hadn't been worn- fraction of the cost and I just got a friend to do the alterations.

So I got to spend more on my lovely lovely shoes.... :)

Yeah, the dress is on the more expensive side but I wouldn't want anything else. When I tried on the dresss I almost cried because I knew it was "the one." My mom offered to buy it for me, if it's too expensive for her though I'll even chip in for it. I don't know if they would have that same dress anywhere else. The saleswoman says I should get it in "smaller dimensions" (I'm only 5'2) but I hope it doesn't change the style of the dress too much because I love the way the dress fits.

Yeah, the dress is on the more expensive side but I wouldn't want anything else. When I tried on the dresss I almost cried because I knew it was "the one." My mom offered to buy it for me, if it's too expensive for her though I'll even chip in for it. I don't know if they would have that same dress anywhere else. The saleswoman says I should get it in "smaller dimensions" (I'm only 5'2) but I hope it doesn't change the style of the dress too much because I love the way the dress fits.

Yeah, I've heard that a bride knows the dress is "the one" the same way she knows the fiance is "the one." So stick with it! Dresses are so personal, it should really be only up to you.

But I think SB meant look around for the same exact dress you know you want. I Googled your dress, and saw that it's normally around $1,200, but that it's sold all over the place for between $250 and $400. If you know the size you need to order, you can order it and then have the alterations done... which makes the dress considerably cheaper, because you'd still pay for alterations on top of the dress price no matter what.

For example, my BFF wore this:

http://www.partypop.com/Forums/images/277275.jpg

She paid like $1,850 for it, and then found it a week later at five different site (same size, never worn) for about $500. She was pissed, because she had already paid more than that as the deposit!

GorillaTheater

Okay, I know that this is a chick thread, but bear with me for a moment:

There's a street in Guadalajara, can't remember the name of it but it's literally flanked on both sides by nothing but bridal stores. Walking by I didn't see a single dress over around $400.

Make a holiday of it. Guadalajara is a GREAT city.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Yeah, I've heard that a bride knows the dress is "the one" the same way she knows the fiance is "the one." So stick with it! Dresses are so personal, it should really be only up to you.

But I think SB meant look around for the same exact dress you know you want. I Googled your dress, and saw that it's normally around $1,200, but that it's sold all over the place for between $250 and $400. If you know the size you need to order, you can order it and then have the alterations done... which makes the dress considerably cheaper, because you'd still pay for alterations on top of the dress price no matter what.

For example, my BFF wore this:

http://www.partypop.com/Forums/images/277275.jpg

She paid like $1,850 for it, and then found it a week later at five different site (same size, never worn) for about $500. She was pissed, because she had already paid more than that as the deposit!

Yeah the dress is like $1200. Where would I order it? I don't know if I would order it somewhere without actually seeing it, there might be something wrong with it or torn or something.

Trialbyfire

Another option for you, is if you have pictures of the dress from all angles, you can always have a talented seamstress tailor your dress. If you find the right seamstress, it'll not only be cheaper but you can add or subtract from the dress, including upgrading the material, etc.

Yeah the dress is like $1200. Where would I order it? I don't know if I would order it somewhere without actually seeing it, there might be something wrong with it or torn or something.

http://www.google.com/products?q=alfred+angelo+Style+758&hl=en

Even if you order it from the store you tried it on at, you wouldn't see it until you received it.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Hmm... if you buy before Monday, it looks like you could get up to $300 off:

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Events/Promo.aspx?promoid=20

There's also a trunk show in your state over the weekend:

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Events/EventsListing.aspx

Yeah I know about the sale, my mom isn't in town and she wants to see it before she buys it. Also she doesn't really want to purchase it just yet due to the wedding being so far in away. I didn't realize that the store was going to continuously call me and ask me when I'm buying it. I keep telling them I have to wait for my mom, but I guess they want their commission.