Here comes the bride...

But I think SB meant look around for the same exact dress you know you want. I Googled your dress, and saw that it's normally around $1,200, but that it's sold all over the place for between $250 and $400. If you know the size you need to order, you can order it and then have the alterations done... which makes the dress considerably cheaper, because you'd still pay for alterations on top of the dress price no matter what.

For example, my BFF wore this:

http://www.partypop.com/Forums/images/277275.jpg

She paid like $1,850 for it, and then found it a week later at five different site (same size, never worn) for about $500. She was pissed, because she had already paid more than that as the deposit!

Thats exactly what I meant.

My dress was 850 british pounds new, but I paid 250 for it, plus about another 50 for alterations.

That dress your BFF wore is stunning SG. (what gives with your PMs are they broken?)

Yeah I know about the sale, my mom isn't in town and she wants to see it before she buys it. Also she doesn't really want to purchase it just yet due to the wedding being so far in away. I didn't realize that the store was going to continuously call me and ask me when I'm buying it. I keep telling them I have to wait for my mom, but I guess they want their commission.

And they know that the longer you wait, the greater the odds you will realise you don't have to pay them $1200 for the dress. ;)

Rollercoasterr

I found my perfect dress this past weekend at David's Bridal. I mean, really, the entire room just stopped everything and just stared at me. My mom started crying heavily, and all the other moms came to give her hugs. I started to cry too. The dress was just so beautiful. My wedding isn't until June 19th of next year so I really didn't want to buy it so soon, but when I got back home the next day I had a message on my answering machine from my consultant saying that the dress was on their list of discontinued styles that they had received that day. I was really really heartbroken.

So I put it on layaway. :)

I wouldn't mind losing 10% of what I paid down if I find something else that I like within 60 days, but I know I'd feel worse if I lost that dress and never found it again. But if I do go ahead and get it then the biggest part of my wedding planning will be over. I can relax about that part at least.

And because it was a discontinued style they knocked off $300. When I saw the dress I was afraid to look at the pricetag but it was marked at $849. With the discontinued markoff I'll have my dream dress for $549. Actually less expensive than one of my prom dresses(what was I thinking?ugh).

Also she doesn't really want to purchase it just yet due to the wedding being so far in away.

Why? Does she think you're going to change your mind about getting married or something?

If it's a fit issue, you can buy it now, and wait a long time until you get it altered/fitted.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Why? Does she think you're going to change your mind about getting married or something?

If it's a fit issue, you can buy it now, and wait a long time until you get it altered/fitted.

No, she thinks I'll change my mind about the dress and it is non-refundable.

She just thinks we have plenty of time and doesn't want to be rushed into it or whatever. Who knows? I did tell her it takes time to order the dress and get it altered so we can't wait too long. I don't want it to get discontinued either.

• Author
Lauriebell82
I found my perfect dress this past weekend at David's Bridal. I mean, really, the entire room just stopped everything and just stared at me. My mom started crying heavily, and all the other moms came to give her hugs. I started to cry too. The dress was just so beautiful. My wedding isn't until June 19th of next year so I really didn't want to buy it so soon, but when I got back home the next day I had a message on my answering machine from my consultant saying that the dress was on their list of discontinued styles that they had received that day. I was really really heartbroken.

So I put it on layaway. :)

I wouldn't mind losing 10% of what I paid down if I find something else that I like within 60 days, but I know I'd feel worse if I lost that dress and never found it again. But if I do go ahead and get it then the biggest part of my wedding planning will be over. I can relax about that part at least.

And because it was a discontinued style they knocked off $300. When I saw the dress I was afraid to look at the pricetag but it was marked at $849. With the discontinued markoff I'll have my dream dress for $549. Actually less expensive than one of my prom dresses(what was I thinking?ugh).

I looked at David's bridal but I just couldn't find "the dress." Alfred Angelo is a little more pricey but I love the dress so much. I hope it doesn't get discontinued though, my mom is putting off buying it because she thinks we have "so much time."

Rollercoasterr
I looked at David's bridal but I just couldn't find "the dress." Alfred Angelo is a little more pricey but I love the dress so much. I hope it doesn't get discontinued though, my mom is putting off buying it because she thinks we have "so much time."

Price is not an issue for me on my wedding dress, it's just something that I want to have. If I have to get married without flowers or decoration because of it, I'll have my dream dress. My mother never had a proper wedding so she wants me to have that cinderella moment, as does my fiance. I think he's more into the cinderella idea than I am, lol.

I looked at a lot of different designers here at the bridal shop in town and just didn't find anything that gave me that princessy feel that all girls want on their wedding day. If I had found a $2000 dress that gave me that feeling, you could bet I would've bought it. I was flying home from Montreal that day after spending a week with my fiance and my mom wanted to stop by Davids Bridal while we were in Lexington spending time with my uncle and their new baby. I tried on about 6 or 7 dresses prior to putting that one on. Let's just say I knew the instant I put that dress on that it was the one. I think I just got lucky that it was a fairly inexpensive dress. But I was prepared to pay more than that.

I say that if that dress makes YOU happy then get it. It might be a bit early in your wedding planning, but it's better to be safe than sorry. But make sure that when you slip that dress on that you KNOW it's the one just like you know that your fiance is the one.

This is my dress. The girl in the gown doesn't do it justice so you'd probably have to look at the reviews to see it in a better light. I just LOVE the long train.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49995498&currentIdx=102&subCategory=-49999486|-49995498&catentryId=1000356

• Author
Lauriebell82
Price is not an issue for me on my wedding dress, it's just something that I want to have. If I have to get married without flowers or decoration because of it, I'll have my dream dress. My mother never had a proper wedding so she wants me to have that cinderella moment, as does my fiance. I think he's more into the cinderella idea than I am, lol.

I looked at a lot of different designers here at the bridal shop in town and just didn't find anything that gave me that princessy feel that all girls want on their wedding day. If I had found a $2000 dress that gave me that feeling, you could bet I would've bought it. I was flying home from Montreal that day after spending a week with my fiance and my mom wanted to stop by Davids Bridal while we were in Lexington spending time with my uncle and their new baby. I tried on about 6 or 7 dresses prior to putting that one on. Let's just say I knew the instant I put that dress on that it was the one. I think I just got lucky that it was a fairly inexpensive dress. But I was prepared to pay more than that.

I say that if that dress makes YOU happy then get it. It might be a bit early in your wedding planning, but it's better to be safe than sorry. But make sure that when you slip that dress on that you KNOW it's the one just like you know that your fiance is the one.

This is my dress. The girl in the gown doesn't do it justice so you'd probably have to look at the reviews to see it in a better light. I just LOVE the long train.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49995498&currentIdx=102&subCategory=-49999486|-49995498&catentryId=1000356

Oh! I tried that on and loved it!!! They called me and told me they discontinued it so I went and tried it on again. My mom didn't like it though and thought I looked better in strapless. I couldn't find a strapless one that liked at David's Bridal so thats why I went to Alfred Angelo and fell in love with this dress! I look better in this particular strapless cause it showed off my build/assests more. Plus I'm short so the superlong train on the halter top one looked kind of odd on me.

But yes, I did try it on, I thought that was going to be my dress.

• Author
Lauriebell82

Oh this is my dress in case you didn't see the link I posted earlier. Kind of has the same "princess ballgown look" (that's what I wanted as well) but it accents my curves and stomach more than the halter.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=41822d37-6cf9-486a-bb75-baecf5112994&categoryID=54246401-6ad2-4745-894e-d0dc006d72c8&pg=2

Rollercoasterr
Oh! I tried that on and loved it!!! They called me and told me they discontinued it so I went and tried it on again. My mom didn't like it though and thought I looked better in strapless. I couldn't find a strapless one that liked at David's Bridal so thats why I went to Alfred Angelo and fell in love with this dress! I look better in this particular strapless cause it showed off my build/assests more. Plus I'm short so the superlong train on the halter top one looked kind of odd on me.

But yes, I did try it on, I thought that was going to be my dress.

There's a picture on there of a girl that actually took the halter part off. I thought it looked very beautiful.

I was the one that thought I wasn't going to like it. I'm not a big fan of lace and flowers on a dress, but my mom insisted. When I walked out and saw myself in those big mirrors I couldn't believe how much I liked it when it was on me. Some dresses are like that. They look better on you than in the bag or on the model.

I'm sure that you're going to find the perfect dress for you, LB. Sounds like finding one to make your momma happy is going to be a different story. Might be a case of a momzilla on your hands, lol. :laugh: Mine hasn't been too rough so far, but I've got a feeling that before it's over she's going to try and get the wedding she never had through me.

BTW, I think your dress is STUNNING. Very princess-like. :)

I looked at a lot of different designers here at the bridal shop in town and just didn't find anything that gave me that princessy feel that all girls want on their wedding day.

Interesting comment, with which I totally disagree. I don't think ALL girls want to feel like a princess on their wedding day. In fact, I'd go as far to say that plenty of brides don't want a princess wedding at all. This is somewhat related to Touche's theory.

Rollercoasterr
Interesting comment, with which I totally disagree. I don't think ALL girls want to feel like a princess on their wedding day. In fact, I'd go as far to say that plenty of brides don't want a princess wedding at all. This is somewhat related to Touche's theory.

Regardless of if they want the princess day, I think it's safe to say that all girls want to feel beautiful on their wedding day. This is what I meant. I don't think that you can say that any girl wants to walk down the aisle(whether it be a church, outside, court house, or vegas) looking like a bum that just came off the street. They are always going to want to at least FEEL beautiful, even if it's in jeans and a t-shirt.

Feel free to disagree. But that's just been my experience, and I've been to all 4 types of weddings. Never seen a woman NOT fret about if they look good when they're about to walk down the aisle.

• Author
Lauriebell82

I don't think she meant it offensively. I think she just meant that a lot of girls want to feel like a princess on their wedding day. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to feel like that. There are all different types of wedding dresses, if all girls wanted to be a princess there would only be one.

Rollercoasterr
I don't think she meant it offensively. I think she just meant that a lot of girls want to feel like a princess on their wedding day. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to feel like that. There are all different types of wedding dresses, if all girls wanted to be a princess there would only be one.

LB gets what I meant. This is her thread and that's what matters.

So congrats, dear. :)

Hey, LB! JUST saw this!

Big congrats! :)

As far as your gown goes, at your age, a Cinderella gown is totally perfect, and for sure you should have your princess wedding! I don't know any woman who wouldn't find to feel like a princess on her magical wedding day. :)

It's the older broads who can't pull it off and look absurd and have the cranky attitudes. lol

Enjoy the planning! :)

I realize all of that. :) Particularly the part where you say if "all girls wanted to be a princess there would only be one." Clearly, there are girls who want to be princesses, and there are women who do not. As you know, I fundamentally disagree with the notion of seeking out to be a "princess" on your wedding day. I truly believe that your attitude going into the wedding, is related to your attitude in marriage. I, for one, am not, nor do I ever want to be, "a princess." Girls may want to feel like princesses, but grown women who are getting married, typically do not focus on being a "princess." Rather, they focus on being a beautiful bride and wife.

Now obviously, every gal who gets married wants to feel (and should feel!) like the most beautiful person in the entire world on the day she weds her husband, regardless of what she's wearing. But focusing on being a "princess" ... again ... is, somewhat related to Touche's theory.

I don't know any woman who wouldn't want to feel like a princess on her magical wedding day. :)

Uh, I certainly wouldn't. The wedding isn't all about me-me-me.

But to each their own... and I sure as sh*t am not an "older broad." :laugh:

Rollercoasterr

I have never for one second thought that everything is about me me me me. This wedding is about my fiance as well. But bigger than that, the wedding is about our love and going into a marriage together. But I DO want that princess feel on my wedding day. My fiance wants that princess feel. Without me saying anything at all about it, he told me that HE wanted our wedding day to be like that. I dont think that just because you want to feel like a princess means that you think that everything is about you. Sure, the gals on Bridezillas and Platinum Weddings sure do make it look that way, but some girls can still be sweet as sugar AND look like Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Call me a girl if you want, but that's the way I feel and I'm not ashamed of it. I have no doubt that I'll be a great wife for my fiance, and I know that he'll be the best husband.

I just want my perfect day, and I want it to be perfect for him, and for my mom who never had a wedding. She was married in the back of a Christian bookstore. I think that everyone deserves to have their magical day at least once. :love:

• Author
Lauriebell82
I realize all of that. :) Particularly the part where you say if "all girls wanted to be a princess there would only be one." Clearly, there are girls who want to be princesses, and there are women who do not. As you know, I fundamentally disagree with the notion of seeking out to be a "princess" on your wedding day. I truly believe that your attitude going into the wedding, is related to your attitude in marriage. I, for one, am not, nor do I ever want to be, "a princess." Girls may want to feel like princesses, but grown women who are getting married, typically do not focus on being a "princess." Rather, they focus on being a beautiful bride and wife.

Now obviously, every gal who gets married wants to feel (and should feel!) like the most beautiful person in the entire world on the day she weds her husband, regardless of what she's wearing. But focusing on being a "princess" ... again ... is, somewhat related to Touche's theory.

Well, I disagree with this because grown women can want to feel like a princess. I don't get why everyone is so down on the princess thing, so what if you want a special day where the focus is on celebrating your marriage. And princesses are very beautiful of course.

But to each their own. Everyone has a different vision for their wedding.

Uh, I certainly wouldn't. The wedding isn't all about me-me-me.

But to each their own... and I sure as sh*t am not an "older broad." :laugh:

Well..... we are still older than LB and RC. Not OLDER older, but still a little older. :cool:

IFYKWIM.

I agree with SG on the princess business- my wedding day prior to the wedding was more about hanging out with my BFFs and having a laugh, and looking great on top of that. And the wedding itself was about celebrating my love for WB in front of our friends and family.

I am not a princessy type of person though AND each to their own- your dress isn't really my thing LB, but its yours and you will look lovely in it.

And don't worry about the bridal shop saying its "discontinued"- they sound like a really pushy shop IMO.

SG already showed you that you can get the same dress from several alternative sources at a reduced cost.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Well..... we are still older than LB and RC. Not OLDER older, but still a little older. :cool:

IFYKWIM.

I agree with SG on the princess business- my wedding day prior to the wedding was more about hanging out with my BFFs and having a laugh, and looking great on top of that. And the wedding itself was about celebrating my love for WB in front of our friends and family.

I am not a princessy type of person though AND each to their own- your dress isn't really my thing LB, but its yours and you will look lovely in it.

And don't worry about the bridal shop saying its "discontinued"- they sound like a really pushy shop IMO.

SG already showed you that you can get the same dress from several alternative sources at a reduced cost.

What does older have to do with anything? Older women are too mature for princess weddings? Hmm, I don't get it. And I don't view 3 years older as signficant. If I was 30 I'd be having the same wedding.

I know what you mean about the dress, I was so picky I knew exactly what I wanted and didn't want. I didn't even try on any dresses that didn't fit my "vision." But thanks for the compliment, the dress does look great on me.

Our wedding will be similar to yours. It's going to be fancy but it is definately going to be fun for our friends and family. We want a big wedding so we can share our day with everyone. I'm so excited to marry my fiance and celebrate with everyone. I'm not sure I even understand what you meant by that, that if it's a fancy princess wedding it's all about the bride and making themself the center of attention? I know earlier it was said that those types of weddings aren't about marrying the person you love but just the wedding. I completely disagree with that. I (and RC) are both very serious about marrying our fiances, not just have a fancy wedding.

I guess I just don't see the point.

I think it just comes down to a matter of differences in personal taste LB, thats all.

I wasn't criticising you re: "princess" wedding. I am in my early 30s and had been to quite a few weddings by the time my own came around, and that hones your tastes a bit regarding weddings, and maybe our perception of what a "princess" wedding is is different.

When I hear "princess wedding", I hear "No holds barred big fancy expensive wedding with all the trimmings".

Ours wasn't like that for several reasons, but I don't have anything against anyone who does have one- again, difference in personal taste. (and as long as they are getting married for the right reasons)

The wedding should never be about feeling like a princess, or being the center of attention. It should be about celebrating your love and future with your fiance/husband.

You never hear dudes say, "I want to feel like a prince/king on my wedding day," do you? Nope. They just want to get married, and celebrate, at a fun, classy event. IME, most grooms have the right attitude.

When I hear "princess wedding", I hear "No holds barred big fancy expensive wedding with all the trimmings".

That's what I think of too, and with that wedding comes a princess ballgown, like the one LB and RC have chosen, as well as a marble ballroom, like where LB has chosen. I question these choices even more when money is as tight as it is for LB and her fiance. Why is the focus on an expensive princess wedding, when money's so tight? But that's the topic of another thread.

Ours wasn't like that for several reasons, but I don't have anything against anyone who does have one- again, difference in personal taste. (and as long as they are getting married for the right reasons)

Agreed. I don't have "anything against anyone" who has one either; it's just not something I'd ever do. It's a matter of personal taste, yes, but just as much the reasons for getting married to begin with.

• Author
Lauriebell82
The wedding should never be about feeling like a princess, or being the center of attention. It should be about celebrating your love and future with your fiance/husband.

What are you even talking about? You can still feel like a princess and celebrate your love and future with you fiance/husband. And that's YOUR opinion/judgement on what a wedding should or should not be.

You never hear dudes say, "I want to feel like a prince/king on my wedding day," do you? Nope. They just want to get married, and celebrate, at a fun, classy event. IME, most grooms have the right attitude.

Actually guys don't dream about getting married they just propose and get married. It's the difference between the genders, nothing to do with attitude.

That's what I think of too, and with that wedding comes a princess ballgown, like the one LB and RC have chosen, as well as a marble ballroom, like where LB has chosen. I question these choices even more when money is as tight as it is for LB and her fiance. Why is the focus on an expensive princess wedding, when money's so tight? But that's the topic of another thread.

Money is not tight, we make a good living. My parents are paying for most of it, but we want to chip in to have our wedding at our venue. There isn't anything wrong with that, our priorities are to pay for a wedding and save for a house. We also are not thinking about staying in our city after our wedding, therefore we don't want to take out a mortage on a house. Those may not be YOUR priorities but they are ours. Nothing wrong with that.

Agreed. I don't have "anything against anyone" who has one either; it's just not something I'd ever do. It's a matter of personal taste, yes, but just as much the reasons for getting married to begin with.

It sounds like you do from your above commments. Your statements tend to make it sound like anyone who does not want the same wedding/idea of weddings as you do is wrong and they are "off." I'm sure you'll prob get defensive over these statements but I'm just stating some of my observations about your comments, esp. since this is my thread and posters knocking the way I chose to have my wedding isn't something that I want to hear.

You can still feel like a princess and celebrate your love and future with you fiance/husband. And that's YOUR opinion/judgement on what a wedding should or should not be.

Weddings are the most romantic thing ever.

And a princess wedding is even more romantic.

Make it your most special day. :love: