I have breast cancer

• Author
LucreziaBorgia
Did they check your lymph nodes LB?

He did say that he would running some more tests on the lymph nodes. I don't know what those will entail, but he wants to see me next Tuesday to talk some more about that.

He did say that he would running some more tests on the lymph nodes. I don't know what those will entail, but he wants to see me next Tuesday to talk some more about that.

Excellent. They are being thorough. You're in good hands.

You're going to beat this hands down!! :bunny:

DazedandConfused66
Did they check your lymph nodes LB?

Most doctors will do a manual exam of your lymph nodes around your collarbone and such. And then during the lumpectomy or masectomy, they will perform an Axillary Lymph Node dissection, targeting your sentinel node. That node is the one that drains the fluid from the breast and if the cancer cells have spread, it will show up there first. But that kind of procedure only happens when you are under.

I think the results of your biopsy will determine whether or not they do the lymph node removal....they are looking for what are known as "margins" which tells them how the cancer is growing. That plus your other markers (past history of cancer, family history, etc) will determine the course of your treatment. It will also tell the doctor if your nipple is impacted...most prefer to do breast conservation surgery (lumpectomy) if they can leave your nipple alone. If your nipple and the nerve endings under it is going to be impacted, then masectomy becomes a more serious consideration. That's a hard decision to make, my best wishes for guidance and clarity for you when you get to that point.

I'm sure you are hopped up on all kinds of websites, but one of the best I've found for "cancer info for dummies" is at http://www.breastcancer.org. Very clear, easy to understand terminology.

I really understand your fears about the size. Calcification in the ducts can make you think the tumor is much larger than it really is. From your description, it _sounds_ like your doc thinks you have what they sometimes classify as "garden variety breast cancer" or IDC (Invasive Ductile Carcinoma). However, the pathology tests still could find that it's DCIS, which is a non-invasive form of breast cancer. Both hit the milk ducts of the breast, but the latter (DCIS) is MUCH less severe than IDC. I don't want to plant false hopes because I'm no doc, but this is indeed one of the toughest parts of the process for you...waiting for the final diagnosis and prepping for your attack plan.

Hang in there....I know this is hard. Sip some wine, take time to admire the gorgeous fall weather that's about to settle in on us and get yourself geared up to kick it's butt. You'll beat it.

i am really glad that its not the worst case scenario LB... xxx

Ditto to that. The waiting has to be one of the worst aspects of this situation. At least once you know what you're dealing with, you're in a position to start fighting it. Take care of yourself, LB.

This_Too_Shall_Pass
i am really glad that its not the worst case scenario LB... xxx

I second that too. You're going to win, Lucrezia.

Most doctors will do a manual exam of your lymph nodes around your collarbone and such. And then during the lumpectomy or masectomy, they will perform an Axillary Lymph Node dissection, targeting your sentinel node. That node is the one that drains the fluid from the breast and if the cancer cells have spread, it will show up there first. But that kind of procedure only happens when you are under.

I think the results of your biopsy will determine whether or not they do the lymph node removal....they are looking for what are known as "margins" which tells them how the cancer is growing. That plus your other markers (past history of cancer, family history, etc) will determine the course of your treatment. It will also tell the doctor if your nipple is impacted...most prefer to do breast conservation surgery (lumpectomy) if they can leave your nipple alone. If your nipple and the nerve endings under it is going to be impacted, then masectomy becomes a more serious consideration. That's a hard decision to make, my best wishes for guidance and clarity for you when you get to that point.

I'm sure you are hopped up on all kinds of websites, but one of the best I've found for "cancer info for dummies" is at www.breastcancer.org. Very clear, easy to understand terminology.

I really understand your fears about the size. Calcification in the ducts can make you think the tumor is much larger than it really is. From your description, it _sounds_ like your doc thinks you have what they sometimes classify as "garden variety breast cancer" or IDC (Invasive Ductile Carcinoma). However, the pathology tests still could find that it's DCIS, which is a non-invasive form of breast cancer. Both hit the milk ducts of the breast, but the latter (DCIS) is MUCH less severe than IDC. I don't want to plant false hopes because I'm no doc, but this is indeed one of the toughest parts of the process for you...waiting for the final diagnosis and prepping for your attack plan.

Hang in there....I know this is hard. Sip some wine, take time to admire the gorgeous fall weather that's about to settle in on us and get yourself geared up to kick it's butt. You'll beat it.

for Lucrezia and all the rest of us who are visible and invisible (lurking). I am really sorry that you know so much about this from your own experience dealing with this disease, but I am very grateful that you are choosing to share your knowledge with us.

I hope that your wife continues to do well.

DazedandConfused66

Thank you for the encouragement, it is much appreciated and my wife is holding up very well as she continues fighting this.

But I feel somewhat bad that anything I say detract from Lucrezia's current situation. This is her battle...I'm just a grizzled young veteran trying to help her understand that this battle has a plan and it can be won.

Being a man, I have very few "soft" quotes to share. Instead, I've drawn my own strength to support my wife from Sun Tzu.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved."

The tactics for this battle are very well known and all I'm doing is repeating what I've learned for her benefit. But the _strategy_ is the stuff of legends and it comes from within and is personal for each person who fights cancer. The strategy for Lucrezia will be written and executed by her and her support team. She is already taking command of her treatments, I can read that in her posts. But sometimes, the early visits can be completely overwhelming as you try to process what the doctors are telling you. It's helpful to be able to reflect, ask questions, get advice, reflect some more, etc. That's where she is at right now I'm guessing and I so want her to know that there are helping hands here and elsewhere to give her the ability to process and formulate her own strategy.

Knowledge for this battle really does equal power. I want to help her, and those like her, anyway I can.

Just log me as another supporter thinking good thoughts about you here in the LS community. Over the last two years I've had the humbling experience of watching my admin assistant fight breast cancer and a group of us are going out after work this week to celebrate her recovery! It's be a joy and affirmation of the human spirit to watch her get stronger every passing month and I'm sure the same success awaits you. Much luck...

Mr. Lucky

LB, I truly admire the way you are handling this with such levelheadedness and grace. Keep fighting the good fight.

re:

LB: "The doctor said it was not life threatening - it appears that it has not spread, and that surgery and chemo/radiation will do the trick. "

Best news!

-Rio

DazedandConfused66

Hi LB,

Just made a mental note that you had a follow-up today with your doctor. Did you get your pathology results back yet? Any more news?

Here's to your strength and resolve....

• Author
LucreziaBorgia

I was hoping to see a post from you. I just now got home. I was not surprised by the results. Here they are:

Right breast mass, core needle biopsy: Invasive duct carcinoma, moderately differentiated, grade 2

Estrogen receptor protein: Positive (45%)

Progesterone receptor protein: Positive (44%)

Her-2/neu oncogene overexpression: Negative (0)

Microscopic Description:

Sections of the right breast mass core needle biopsy reveal and invasive duct carcinoma. The tumor is composed of irregular infiltrating glands as well as solid nests of tumor cells containing enlarged hyperchromatic nucleel. A rare mitosis is noted. Desmoplastic stromal response is seen. Microcalcifications and focal necrosis are identified with the tumor.

I left out some extraneous stuff, and he couldn't tell me a stage yet, but that's the gist of it. Its official. I have breast cancer. I have a MRI set up, and following the results of that I will have surgery. I won't know how much breast(s) is/are going to be removed yet, but I'll find out with the MRI. I know that my lymph nodes will be taken out. Following that, I will have chemo and radiation.

Today, I finalized the paperwork for the Breast and Cervical Cancer Medicaid and arranged for a medical leave from work. This week, I will cut my hair off and donate it to Locks of Love.

I don't know what to say in terms of how I feel about it. All I can say is that while I'm not surprised by the findings, I am in shock nonetheless. Seeing it in writing is a shock.

Today, I finalized the paperwork for the Breast and Cervical Cancer Medicaid and arranged for a medical leave from work. This week, I will cut my hair off and donate it to Locks of Love.

I don't know what to say in terms of how I feel about it. All I can say is that while I'm not surprised by the findings, I am in shock nonetheless. Seeing it in writing is a shock.

Will you get a decent period of leave on full pay, LB? The donation to Locks of Love seems typical of the matter of fact but very thoughtful personality who has helped so many people here. I hope you've got plenty of emotional supports around you just now.

• Author
LucreziaBorgia

I will get 60% of my wages for 22 weeks, up to 52 if I need it. I do have a great support system. I have my exH and his family (all of whom I am still very close with), my boyfriend, my friends, etc. I feel fortunate to have them all in my life.

I will get 60% of my wages for 22 weeks, up to 52 if I need it. I do have a great support system. I have my exH and his family (all of whom I am still very close with), my boyfriend, my friends, etc. I feel fortunate to have them all in my life.

Remember, too, LB that you also have 12 weeks of FMLA leave.

Unpaid though.

Hugs. :)

LB, you've been on my mind daily...I didn't wanna ask 'how are you today' as I know the answer to that one. I remember my close friend used to get real pissed off (though she would never show it) when everyone asked her how she was doing daily...But, with that being said, it's because everyone cares...People say some real dumb stuff, so laugh about it!

That's a great idea to cut your hair and donate it.

Tons of hugs to you LB.

And you have us here at LS!!! Don't forget that! Any time of the day or night!

HUGE bear hugs!