I have had ENOUGH!

Also, pretty much everyone has a gym membership these days (of course I don't mean everyone, but more people than what it used to be).

Do you mean everyone who's anyone?! Just kidding.

So maybe I have taken your statement out of context, but I think an important point is that you don't need a gym membership to "do" exercise. I walk through a car park to get to my apartment (there are no paths!!??). Take the stairs (even occasionally).

I believe, for the most part, exercise can be integrated into daily life.

Do you mean everyone who's anyone?! Just kidding.

So maybe I have taken your statement out of context, but I think an important point is that you don't need a gym membership to "do" exercise. I walk through a car park to get to my apartment (there are no paths!!??). Take the stairs (even occasionally).

I believe, for the most part, exercise can be integrated into daily life.

Yeah sure, I don't have one myself. I'm just saying that I don't agree with the idea that anyone is afraid to talk about this in this day and age. People are very aware now. But really what's to come out of saying Hey you "fat ****...." besides hurting someone's feelings and insulting them. I don't understand the passion in being so upset about this either. JMO.

Maybe you are in denial.

Or one of the unfortunate :p .

Seriously, there's a gym here at work, I don't even know what the inside of it looks like. That's not how I choose to get my excercise. I do alot of walking and I take the stairs all day and avoid the elevators. To each it's own though.

CrushedOrgans
They were for effect.

I haven't slept in days and days and days.

Give me a break.

so you expect some consideration for your actions (and words) because of your sleepy circumstances, but no one else is to be spared your snarky criticism?

you want a break? give the fat guy enjoying his food a break. maybe he's sleepy too, and can barely think enough to order healthy food. :rolleyes:

or maybe he was just diagnosed with a terminal, non-obesity-related disease and is having his last meal. how nice it would be for him to do so without some random little girl watching his every bite and mocking his disgustingness.

or maybe he just lost 35 pounds and is rewarding himself for the day. wouldn't it be terrible if your nasty looks and remarks made him have a relapse, because the effort he made still isn't good enough for strangers, and he spirals back down into a depression of eating and being miserable, and eating more?

or, maybe he just wants it. and it definitely has nothing to do with you.

looks like your approach can be more harmful then you think. in my opinion, your " crusade" needs quite a bit of fine-tuning.

oh, and the bit about the pm's. priceless.

:)

I haven't read through all the posts in this thread, but I did want to mention that another BIG problem that contributes to obesity is the medical establishment. Do you know that recently a U.S. doctor was SUED because he told an overweight patient she needed to lose weight? Apparently her feelings were hurt (she was 200+ pounds) and rather than take the doctor's words to heart, she just sued him. And according to records, he didn't use offensive language. He just said point blank: "You're too fat and you need to lose weight." Perhaps it could have been said more diplomatically, but I understand that sometimes "tough love" is required.

What does he get for his honesty? A lawsuit.

This makes me incredibly angry, because I am from a family that is prone to food and alcohol addiction. Only through a struggle have I been able to keep my weight in check (under 150), whereas every other member of my immediate family is more than 210 pounds (and that's the low end--it goes up to about 300). I know that I could easily fall into the "food trap"--I've downed a full bag of chips or a pint of Ben and Jerry's without batting an eye. The trick is, after I do it, I get so disgusted with myself that I don't do it again until l lose control of my emotions again a few months later. Then I try to work it off with exercise and eat healthfully the rest of the time.

All of my family are under doctors' care for illnesses ranging from atrial fibrillation to diabetes to ruptured disks to sleep apnea to depression. All of them ask their doctors, "Would it help if I lose weight?" And all the doctors say "No, it would have little or no effect."

WHAT??? Another friend of mine's husband is genetically pre-disposed to high-cholesterol and his father died young of a heart attack. He's also about 50 pounds overweight. My friend said that she asked his doctor if it would help if he lost weight. She said the same thing: "The doctor said this is genetic and weight loss would have little or no effect."

Now, is this just my friends and family misunderstanding what the doctors are saying? That was what I first believed, but now that I'm hearing it from so many different sources I think the truth is that doctors won't tell their overweight patients to lose weight FOR FEAR OF BEING SUED. Weight loss is rarely suggested to reduce or prevent illness--instead, my friends and family members are on all kinds of pills to treat these numerous diseases, rather than adopt a healthy diet and exercise routine to actually prevent them non-medically.

I find this sickening. My entire family will die young, I'm sure, because of their obesity. I struggle every day to keep my weight under control and avoid a similar fate, but the effort works: My physicals show me to be perfectly healthy. Meanwhile, my family members struggle through each day, eating themselves to death just to fill some emotional void. Why don't their doctors just tell them: LOSE SOME FREAKIN' WEIGHT!!!!

Okay, that's my rant. But this is a sore subject for me because I know that if my family members were actually prescribed a diet and exercise program by a physician, they'd probably do it.

CrushedOrgans
I haven't read through all the posts in this thread, but I did want to mention that another BIG problem that contributes to obesity is the medical establishment. Do you know that recently a U.S. doctor was SUED because he told an overweight patient she needed to lose weight? Apparently her feelings were hurt (she was 200+ pounds) and rather than take the doctor's words to heart, she just sued him. And according to records, he didn't use offensive language. He just said point blank: "You're too fat and you need to lose weight." Perhaps it could have been said more diplomatically, but I understand that sometimes "tough love" is required.

it's also a doctor's job is to help keep his patients healthy, patients who are seeking that help. patients have the option to stop going or switch doctors if they are made uncomfortable.

Weight is something physically obvious, so when it's unusual in either direction it will invoke negative responses from the insecure.

The fact is though that very few of the qualities that really matter are visible from the outside.:cool:

The way you treat your physical body, and thus how it looks, reflects those inner qualities that really matter. It's a diagnostic tool for psychotherapists.

I'mjustsaying.

burning 4 revenge
Isn't that a marriage made in heaven?

Yeah, it's also the combo #6 at El Paso Restaurant on Military Trail.

I add two more Coronas and five cigarettes to customize it.

Pink,

I would like to know your definition of your ideal world?

In your world would there be any fat people, any ugly people, any people with bad teeth, any nerds, any red heads, any pimples, any sagging breasts, anybody with bad breath or body odor or would we all be 20 with perfect white teeth, trim, sexy bodies, perfect designer clothes, perfect parties to attend, perfect hair dressers to get the perfect hair and color and plenty of cosmetic surgeons to take away any imperfections that might come our way?

Just wondering.....

The way you treat your physical body, and thus how it looks, reflects those inner qualities that really matter. It's a diagnostic tool for psychotherapists.

Wowee. Go rent a plane and announce it: fat folks are probably depressed.

Gee - you don't even need a 'psychotherapist' to figure that one out.

REPLY:

Economic Consumption

This, whole, thread is rooted in economic consumption. Primarily, the obesity debate is only another segment of the growing chain of consumerism, consumption, coorporate control, and overtake.

Bash, and whin all you want people, BUT this problem is NOT going to bet better before it becomes worse. Consumption disgusts me.

Generally speaking, human beings die from all areas of life -as illustrated:

Rich vs. Poor: Humans die for and because of money.

Attractive vs. Unattractive: Humans endure extreme torture to look beautiful. End result, death. Example: A woman in the U.S.A., on the T.V. show Extreme Makeover was getting major physical tranformation, when the show decided to reject because they could not fit her into their schedule. A few days later, her family found out she had committed suicide, because she no longer could bare the rejection, and having that fairytale physical transformation. Likewise, humans endure emotional and physical degradation from peers -only, in the end, to commit suicide.

Religious vs. Non-religious: Humans die for and because of religion. Example: Muslim Extremists.

Drug Use vs. No Drug Use: Humans who use drugs are ticking time bombs. People are killed as a result of drugs, narcotics, and even substance fumes. Includes smoking.

The list goes on, and on, and on.

The only thing that feeds people to participate in adventurous activities, is the thirst for money, power, and control.

Lastly, the thing that makes me mad is the growing need for Personal Trainers, Nutritionists, Weight Loss scams, Exercise equiptment. It is a bandwagon, that everyone wants to ride so that they, too, can benefit. [i.e. money, money!].

Start by doing something selfless [less selfish]. Then perhaps, things will begin to look better.

Every day people die from the lack of food. Conversely, people die from extreme intake of food.

It would be nice to see ACTION -rather than just WORDS.

Leave the obesity issue alone. Tackle more significant, and important issues.

The only way to maintain, control, and reserve the process of obesity is if the government and corporate world steps in. However, this is not going to happen since the world revolves around money. So, you want to see change -get tons of money. Money creates change.

End of story.

Sand&Water

Pink,

I would like to know your definition of your ideal world?

In your world would there be any fat people, any ugly people, any people with bad teeth, any nerds, any red heads, any pimples, any sagging breasts, anybody with bad breath or body odor or would we all be 20 with perfect white teeth, trim, sexy bodies, perfect designer clothes, perfect parties to attend, perfect hair dressers to get the perfect hair and color and plenty of cosmetic surgeons to take away any imperfections that might come our way?

Just wondering.....

Good question Yamaha...don't forget ethnicity as well.

Everyone has flaws and demons... just the way it is.

Hey guys,

Well, long thread. It made me want to go to the park for a walk...

But, I think Americans are fat because nobody cares about fat in here it seems, or not as much.

When I go to South America, to the country where I'm originally from, 98% of the girls are skinny. (Think Argentina or Chile)

I'm talking under 130 pounds!

If anyone gets past 130 pounds they start feeling like pigs and OMG, they put themselves immediately on a diet. All my cousins "live" on diets, and everyone I know there watches what they eat. (They won't even try a cookie if offered).

I think the standards are different. People over there are very focused on their weight and being slender is a "must". It's a different mentality. And every time I go visit my parents I get myself on a diet, is almost contagious... I feel huge.

But in America, being 130 pounds is to be like a model, being 150 pounds is skinny, being 160 pounds is slightly overweight and so on. The average size just keeps growing.

And I heard similar comments about other countries in Europe and even Israel, where people are more skinny in general.

Ariadne

But, I think Americans are fat because nobody cares about fat in here it seems, or not as much.

Americans are now just fat and lazy. Have you ever been to Wisconsin? Most of them are fat cows. If you live in Green Bay or Madison and weight 250lbs you're considered skinny.

Americans are now just fat and lazy. Have you ever been to Wisconsin? Most of them are fat cows. If you live in Green Bay or Madison and weight 250lbs you're considered skinny.

and you can wear white after Labor day:bunny:

Which begs the question what is the difference in an online profile between... stocky, a little extra, heavy, etc.

Which begs the question what is the difference in an online profile between... stocky, a little extra, heavy, etc.

mucles vs extra weight

I prefer "cuddly," "stocky," or "big-boned." :p

I think the standards are different. People over there are very focused on their weight and being slender is a "must". It's a different mentality

If you're terrified of a cookie, that's a whole other sort of mental issue. The point is not to live on a 'diet' of deprivation. The point is to make lifestyle changes that are healthy. Which doesn't preclude the occasional treat.

One of my friends was on a NO fat kick. She did her best to avoid all sorts of fat. She's a mess now - lots of aches and pains everywhere. We need food from all the groups in moderation.

These are not mine.. but .........

Thin Could be anything from sickly anorexic to average.

Athletic Could mean the girl is a female bodybuilder, or it could mean she used a Stairmaster for all of ten minutes last month. Who knows.

Average A few extra pounds

Curvy A few extra pounds maybe 20-40

A few extra pounds At least fifty extra pounds

Large or Queen Sized Too big to fit in a Honda Civic. Only date if you own a full-sized car.

Rubenesque Imagine a chick in a Peter Paul Rubens painting, and then imagine what she'd look like if she gained at least fifty pounds.

These are not mine.. but .........

what about "zaftig" A_C?? wtf is that? if a brand new word has to be invented she must be like 890lbs :laugh:

what about "zaftig" A_C?? wtf is that? if a brand new word has to be invented she must be like 890lbs :laugh:

"Zaftig" sounds like it'd be a good name for a zeppelin...:confused: