I have had ENOUGH!

You have to agree it costs more money to eat healthy then to eat all the junk food, I am finding that out. You can get a hamburger & fries for under $4.00 but you buy a salad and it's more like $6-7.00.

You would think the government would would try and make it so healthy food wasn't so expensive instead of spending all the money on the things you pointed out.

I just feel how the government thinks is all backwards, its all a scam for them to make money.

You'd probably find if you bought your own vegetables from a supermarket and made the salad at home, as another poster said, it would be much cheaper. Depending on how much stuff you buy, it'll probably be over $7 but they'll obviously last you more than just one meal which that $7 salad won't do.

You have to agree it costs more money to eat healthy then to eat all the junk food, I am finding that out. You can get a hamburger & fries for under $4.00 but you buy a salad and it's more like $6-7.00.

You would think the government would would try and make it so healthy food wasn't so expensive instead of spending all the money on the things you pointed out.

I just feel how the government thinks is all backwards, its all a scam for them to make money.

Excellent point. The government realizes the tremendous costs in lives and money that obesity brings on. Former President Clinton just this week struck a deal with junk food people ----> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15153923/

But you also have to know that the cheapest foods are often the most fattening and with gas prices, insurance, automobiles, rents and all other living expenses going up so rapidly...and wages sort of staying the same....a LOT of people have to eat cheap. That is really unfortunate.

The government can only do so much. We have more information on the dangers of obesity than on just about any other subject at this particular period. There should be nobody who doesn't know the dangers of being overweight. Yes, the food manufacturers have to cooperate...but people have to eat smart as well.

For example, just to show you how difficult it is to get people to eat right.....

The food manufacturers started making "low fat" snacks...so now many people eat twice as much of them because they are "low fat" and end up getting MORE fat than before. Go figure!

bluechocolate

About obese women in old paintings - obesity was considered a sign of fertility & also pretty much confined to the rich, who were the artists patrons. People wore their wealth, so to speak.

Funny enough, I am about to sit down to a gargantuan meal & most go now to check on those potatoes roasting in goose fat & reflect on all I have to be thankful for.

Eating salad at home is cheap though

...And great for you as well. But people are bombarded with television ads about junk crap and those ads affect them. Also, if you look in the supermarket the areas where cookies, sugar cereals, ice cream, and candy are stocked are far more luring than the veggie area.

It has a LOT to do with how people were fed as children and whether or not mama insisted on junior eating the brocolli or gave in to his demands for chocolate.

burning 4 revenge

Tony you bring up a good point and this where a lot of people go wrong I think.

Snacks.

So many people try and eat better and even exercise, but they feel compelled to constantly be putting things in their mouth. I see it in office environments all the time. People constantly munching like cows, but then they buy the diet soda?

The invisible calories add up quick. Water should be the snack and I need to stop drinking so much coffee and smoking and take my own advice and drink more water.

Onions, garlic, cigarettes and coffee....want to kiss me?

I'm not really sure why others are mentioning diseases caused by other things (like smoking, how thyroid probs affect obesity etc) cause obviously they are a different kettle of fish to what I think you were aiming your message at (obviously the issue of obesity

i was just saying we can't lump all overweight people into one category. not all are cases of overeating.

Funny enough, I am about to sit down to a gargantuan meal & most go now to check on those potatoes roasting in goose fat & reflect on all I have to be thankful for.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

(Enjoy!!! And be thankful there's no one at the table telling you to eat a salad instead.;) )

It's lovely to be self-righteous.

A LOT of people eat for psychological reasons. They feel bad about themselves and try to heal themselves with food.

There have been many physiological causes for overeating discovered. Among them; that in some people eating triggers the same response in the brain as doing coke or other addictive drugs. That the mechanism that shuts hunger off is directly affected by lack of sleep.

Eating is one of the basic needs of humans; like sex and sleep. There are sleeping diseases. There are sex addictions. Fortunately these don't affect a lot of people.

There is no reason whatsoever to be so all-fired sure that obesity is a personal flaw any more than people should have decided that depression, schizophrenia, etc. were personal flaws. Eventually the rest of the physiological mechanisms behind obesity will be discovered and it will be medically treatable as are depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc.

That obesity is increasing probably means that whatever biological cause of obesity might exist is getting passed on to successive generations.

If anything, it could be one more way that Nature is trying to rid itself of this rotten, destructive species.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator : Today at 8:59 AM. Reason: Took out some abuse :p

now thats probably the funniest thing on this thread :laugh:

I know people say to drink diet pop/soda over regular, but isn't diet pop/soda also bad for you???

I know my separated W drank diet because it was better for her she said, but she would drink like a 6 pack at least a day.

I just decided to stop both and drink water and at first it was "REALLLLLLY" hard but it's just second nature now. (been over a 1 1/2 now)

I know people say to drink diet pop/soda over regular, but isn't diet pop/soda also bad for you???

diet soda (aka "pop") is only bad if ordered as part of a Double-Whopper with cheese combo at Burger King :laugh:

They studied this. People who drink regular pop are fatter than people who don't. People who drink 'diet' pop are even fatter than that. Pop is bad for you. Period.

whichwayisup
[/i]

now thats probably the funniest thing on this thread :laugh:

I know, I've never seen a :p at the end of a mod message!

They studied this. People who drink regular pop are fatter than people who don't. People who drink 'diet' pop are even fatter than that. Pop is bad for you. Period.

that's becuz people who drink diet pop usually combine it with very high calorie meals thinking they are doing themselves some good. When you drink diet with a 2,000 calorie meal it ain't gonna make no difference.

This is how diet pops are marketed to the masses. Basically pepsi and coke are saying "Hey, yea, you can eat whatever u want as long as u drink diet" :lmao:

What a crock!

CrushedOrgans

really? i lost like 10 pounds switching to diet. and i wasn't trying to lose weight, so i knew it was from that. not saying it's healthy, it's definitely not, but i was definitely not fatter than people i know who drink regular.

If anything, it could be one more way that Nature is trying to rid itself of this rotten, destructive species.

I don't think nature really cares one way or the other but it's certainly a thought to consider.

I also think eating in order to heal yourself or soothe psychological problems is like having sex to achieve virginity. Yes, I'm absolutely aware people do that (eat) and there is a lot of emotional eating. So, my question has to be now...since we have such a pandemic of obesity...why are so many more people now having psychological problems that require eating...and so many thyroid problems? Is something happening that I don't know about?

I certainly have empathy for those who are overweight. Shedding the pounds requires incredible discipline and a lot of work. It's much easier to just munch on a Snickers Bar.

CrushedOrgans
that's becuz people who drink diet pop usually combine it with very high calorie meals thinking they are doing themselves some good. When you drink diet with a 2,000 calorie meal it ain't gonna make no difference.

This is how diet pops are marketed to the masses. Basically pepsi and coke are saying "Hey, yea, you can eat whatever u want as long as u drink diet" :lmao:

What a crock!

really? i thought it was more of a like a "why add the extra calories" kind of thing. most people aren't trying to be fat, even if they're not trying so much not to be, but i don't see the harm in cutting wherever they can. i don't eat badly all the time, but if i do eat something bad, i would still drink diet because i'm a diet drinker. i don't even like regular now. it just happened.

really? i lost like 10 pounds switching to diet. and i wasn't trying to lose weight, so i knew it was from that. not saying it's healthy, it's definitely not, but i was definitely not fatter than people i know who drink regular.

The research doesn't hold true for everybody but the fact is that diet sodas, for many reasons, do indirectly cause weight gain. Go here: http://www.webmd.com/content/article/107/108476.htm

When you lost the ten pounds switching to diet soda, it could have been a change in your other eating habits as well, your body's reaction to the change...or simply mind over matter.

It's great that you lost, whatever it takes!

And on the other side of the spectrum there is also pressure in out society to be thin leading to eating disorders the people who are living with these disorders are no healthier then an overweight person, it is mostly mental and we have to deal with these issues first

Behind each disorder is a person first with a heart and a soul.

Being healthy is important both mind and body not just one or the other.

People will drink too much

People will smoke too much

People will take drugs

So, my question has to be now...since we have such a pandemic of obesity...why are so many more people now having psychological problems that require eating...and so many thyroid problems? Is something happening that I don't know about?

You know why Americans are the fattests people? One reason T_T: They are generally unhappy.

Have you ever been to any scandanavian country? They have few fat people....you know why T_T? Because they are generally happy.

CrushedOrgans
The research doesn't hold true for everybody but the fact is that diet sodas, for many reasons, do indirectly cause weight gain. Go here: http://www.webmd.com/content/article/107/108476.htm

When you lost the ten pounds switching to diet soda, it could have been a change in your other eating habits as well, your body's reaction to the change...or simply mind over matter.

It's great that you lost, whatever it takes!

that's really interesting. and it wasn't really all that great, though i didn't think it was bad :laugh: that i lost it, because i didn't need to lose weight. i just did as a result of switching. but thanks for the encouragment.

You know why Americans are the fattests people? One reason T_T: They are generally unhappy.

Have you ever been to any scandanavian country? They have few fat people....you know why T_T? Because they are generally happy.

You certainly have a good point. So how do we get happy? YEH, have some cake and cookies...haha!

You certainly have a good point.

you will see that in nations where people are generally happy and content that health problems are minimized. its a fact of life

So how do we get happy?

Do what those "happy" countries do and emulate them. We could start by not carpet bombing other countries we don't like. :lmao:

why are so many more people now having psychological problems that require eating

Because we have more leisure time than ever before. Which means we have time to spend thinking about ourselves and get miserable about our lives. And eat/drink/take drugs etc etc to blot out the discomfort.

Another interesting point: some people lay on lard to create a barrier between themselves and others. You can easily excuse staying away from relationships if you make yourself less desirable. They don't do this consciously, of course, but sometimes when it's pointed out that they eat to soothe other painful feelings or that they do it to keep people away, they are able to change their habits.

Which doesn't of course, mean that some people are not addicted. I consider myself extremely lucky that I can take a drink and not want or need to get drunk - in fact I'm like my dad who never liked drinking.

I have never eaten a whole bag of cookies at a sitting - nor wanted to. I get sick of food or booze long before I can take enough in to cause myself harm. I never smoked. I clearly don't have the 'addictive' gene and am glad of it.

However I did find that when things were rough, I would eat to please my palate more than to please any feelings of hunger. And realizing that and paying attention to when I wanted to eat for pleasure rather than just to assuage hunger, I was able to quit and don't do it anymore. But that's luck and not moral superiority in that I don't crave food the way some people seem to.

So for some people, realizing why they eat might help them change. Others need more serious psychological help. And still others may well require medical intervention to shut off the 'addiction' piece of their situation.

And none of them will be helped by lecturing or contempt.