I have had ENOUGH!

you will see that in nations where people are generally happy and content that health problems are minimized. its a fact of life

Do what those "happy" countries do and emulate them. We could start by not carpet bombing other countries we don't like. :lmao:

Alpha, you're on a roll today! You've got it right everytime. I hope that makes you HAPPY! haha!

I think the media does a major job of helping rob us of happiness. Many people are highly vulnerable and buy into the notion that we won't be happy until we drive this or that car, live in this or that neighborhood, wear this or that type of clothing, etc.

And I totally agreee that, as a country, we are not collectively happy at this time. There is simply way too much crap happening in our government and what it is doing domestically and around the world. And, me personally, I'm not happy that several of my favorite shows have been cancelled and other of my favorites are on opposite each other at the same time.

Unfortunatley, antidepressants can have an affect of weight gain. So if you're depressed about being too fat, don't take antidepressants to make yourself feel better.

I've noticed not many people here use the word FAT. Is that politically incorrect?

whichwayisup
And, me personally, I'm not happy that several of my favorite shows have been cancelled and other of my favorites are on opposite each other at the same time.

Watch one, record the other. Problem solved!

Alpha, you're on a roll today! You've got it right everytime. I hope that makes you HAPPY! haha!

I think the media does a major job of helping rob us of happiness. Many people are highly vulnerable and buy into the notion that we won't be happy until we drive this or that car, live in this or that neighborhood, wear this or that type of clothing, etc.

And I totally agreee that, as a country, we are not collectively happy at this time. There is simply way too much crap happening in our government and what it is doing domestically and around the world. And, me personally, I'm not happy that several of my favorite shows have been cancelled and other of my favorites are on opposite each other at the same time.

Unfortunatley, antidepressants can have an affect of weight gain. So if you're depressed about being too fat, don't take antidepressants to make yourself feel better.

I've noticed not many people here use the word FAT. Is that politically incorrect?

Tony T, You have a good attitude about things

Because we have more leisure time than ever before. Which means we have time to spend thinking about ourselves and get miserable about our lives. And eat/drink/take drugs etc etc to blot out the discomfort.

Another interesting point: some people lay on lard to create a barrier between themselves and others. You can easily excuse staying away from relationships if you make yourself less desirable. They don't do this consciously, of course, but sometimes when it's pointed out that they eat to soothe other painful feelings or that they do it to keep people away, they are able to change their habits.

Which doesn't of course, mean that some people are not addicted. I consider myself extremely lucky that I can take a drink and not want or need to get drunk - in fact I'm like my dad who never liked drinking.

I have never eaten a whole bag of cookies at a sitting - nor wanted to. I get sick of food or booze long before I can take enough in to cause myself harm. I never smoked. I clearly don't have the 'addictive' gene and am glad of it.

However I did find that when things were rough, I would eat to please my palate more than to please any feelings of hunger. And realizing that and paying attention to when I wanted to eat for pleasure rather than just to assuage hunger, I was able to quit and don't do it anymore. But that's luck and not moral superiority in that I don't crave food the way some people seem to.

So for some people, realizing why they eat might help them change. Others need more serious psychological help. And still others may well require medical intervention to shut off the 'addiction' piece of their situation.

And none of them will be helped by lecturing or contempt.

Some terrific points. Reading this is what this thread is all about. There are certainly some subconscious reasons for eating...but I think the major conscious reason for eating is just because food tastes so good and many people don't have the self control or discipline to STOP! People just like to do pleasureful things. When we celebrate birthdays and anniversaries, do we eat carrots and celery...or do we chomp down loads of cake and other junk?

Someone alluded the fact that people often seem to find it acceptable to comment negatively on thinner bodyshapes. I think there's something in this. Ages ago, I had two colleagues who were of gargantuan proportions. My life was made absolute hell by those women who constantly sat in judgement of me and everything about my life. I'm surprised judgement didn't break under the strain.

Did they make comments about my physical appearance and accuse me of being "too skinny"? Of course they did - even though my weight has always tended to veer towards the higher end of the healthy range rather than the lower end (I'm heavier than my dress size would suggest). More than once I'd go to the loo to the whispered tune of "going to puke up her rabbit food now" if I'd had a salad for lunch.

My weight and eating habits were fine. There was no basis for the "bulimia" comments whatsoever, and the attitude of those women had everything to do with them projecting their own skewed relationship with food onto me. When I suggested this, I seriously thought the two of them were going to physically attack me. They were absolutely raging. Why? Why would someone dish out negative comments and speculation about another person if they're not capable of taking the same back?

The point is that there is such a thing as moderation, but sometimes people seem unable to accept that. Being of normal weight, I've had it in the neck from both sides. The control freaks who think I'm some kind of anarchist for eating a chocolate bar, and...well, the enormous colleagues I mentioned earlier.

Just about every woman I know has seems, at some point, to have been the subject of adverse speculation about her eating patterns. No wonder so many people get stuck in this binge/starve, binge/vomit or just plain old binge/binge cycle when that's what society insists is "normal" now.

I think the major conscious reason for eating is just because food tastes so good and many people don't have the self control or discipline to STOP

The answer for that is to not buy it. Get other things instead which are tasty AND healthy (there's lots now). And ask yourself when you want to eat 'do I want the taste or am I hungry?'. If you want the taste but are not hungry, just have a little bit. But if you don't buy the cakes and pies and cookies, they're not there to try to avoid.

I helped a SO lose 30 lbs by not buying the junk food and by preparing tasty food that didn't have lots of fat. This dude would eat half a gallon of ice cream if we had it. So I just didn't buy it. He filled up on low-fat popcorn and other, less fatty treats when he was hungry for a snack. When I have cookies, I have two or four but he'd eat whole rows so I even stopped buying cookies.

He helped himself by walking. Nothing more aerobic than that but it really helped.

But I don't think people should avoid treats altogether. Especially on their birthdays.

Come on folks the obese are just the tip of the iceberg. They are just highly visible so they get the attention.

Why pay so much attention to the symptoms? Sure a person might look healthier by exercising daily and paying attention to their diet but would they really be healthier or just look that way?

We all know obesity isn't healthy yet many people go to great lengths to become and remain obese. Why is that? If they were to stick a gun in their mouths we'd say they need hospitalization but if they stick a whole package of Jimmy Dean's sausage in their gullet we have a completely different reaction. Why is that? What, judging from the end result, is the difference between acute and chronic suicide?

The correct answer is there is no difference and yet we, generally, have come to accept in our society those actions, including obesity, that are in fact chronic suicides.

Is that sick or what?

The obese are just a single symptom of much greater, much deeper problems that have become normal (to us) in our society.

Airlines have to make special arrangements to carry the obese.
You bet they do! The new airbus carries 800 passengers or 400 Americans. WTF. :rolleyes:

A LOT of people eat for psychological reasons.
That they aren't even aware of.

They studied this. People who drink regular pop are fatter than people who don't. People who drink 'diet' pop are even fatter than that. Pop is bad for you. Period.
And Cola is worse because no matter how much calcium you supplement your diet with, if you're a woman, you are going to lose bone mass.
Just about every woman I know has seems, at some point, to have been the subject of adverse speculation about her eating patterns. No wonder so many people get stuck in this binge/starve, binge/vomit or just plain old binge/binge cycle when that's what society insists is "normal" now.

What's sadder is the massive lack of self-esteem that exists that lets people listen to bunk and pay attention to it. I was a skinny kid. People called me 'toothpicks'. I thought it was funny and didn't give a hoot.

Obviously the lardy ladies were in serious denial. Nobody accused of being in denial will admit to denial. Because that wouldn't be denial any longer haha.

And on the other side of the spectrum there is also pressure in out society to be thin leading to eating disorders the people who are living with these disorders are no healthier then an overweight person, it is mostly mental and we have to deal with these issues first

Actually, you're not correct.

This is a common misconception. But society doesn't drive people to have eating disorders. It's more of a compulsion to control because they feel emotionall or situationally out of control.

People will drink too much

People will smoke too much

People will take drugs

Well yeah, and as a person who has or does do all three, I'd say that this is bad. We need to encourage the idea that this is bad, not socially acceptible, not something to promote. WE need to keep reinforcing the idea that these behaviors are unacceptible. Maybe a few people will choose not to as a result.

that's becuz people who drink diet pop usually combine it with very high calorie meals thinking they are doing themselves some good. When you drink diet with a 2,000 calorie meal it ain't gonna make no difference.

This is so true. I use to work at a fast food joint in HS, and you'd see it all the time.

If anyone needs motivation to give up fast food forever, do yourself a favor and find the documentary "Supersize Me" by Michael Moore to watch.

OMG, even my kids don't want to eat that stuff anymore, which is pretty impressive seeing how they give free toys out with the food!

• Author
I know, I've never seen a :p at the end of a mod message!

He did it because that was my editing message also... sense of humor ;)

Lindya- you do make a fabulous point. It is acceptable to make eating disorder jokes about thinner people- because they can handle it right? *rolls eyes*

But if a thin person turned around to someone eating a doughnut and said "Do you really need that doughnut?"... all hell would break loose and the politically correct police would be out in force.

Tony T and even Alpha have both made some reall encouraging posts.

I will be honest- I expected much less understanding... I am so pleased.

As I said before, if there was a different kind of declared pandemic, the world would be up in arms, and public commentary would be soaring...

But because it is about obesity, it seems we are constantly trying to not offend or embarrass overweight people... so the issue takes a back bench.

This DISEASE is killing people, it's killing women, men, adults, children, and all unnecessarily.

• Author

If anyone needs motivation to give up fast food forever, do yourself a favor and find the documentary "Supersize Me" by Michael Moore to watch.

Morgan Spurlock!

Yes, Pricilla those things are terrible.

But as B_O says... we must not let it become acceptable.

And we do this by wrapping obese people in cotton wool and silencing the calls for more exercise, and better nutrition.

but I think the major conscious reason for eating is just because food tastes so good and many people don't have the self control or discipline to STOP!

Exactly the problem here. People need to quit stuffing themselves. Listen to your body, and quit eating when satisfied.

whichwayisup
This DISEASE is killing people, it's killing women, men, adults, children, and all unnecessarily.

The problem is, humans have a lovely skill of justifying what they do and can easily slip into the "it won't happen to me" way of thinking.

Actually, you're not correct.

This is a common misconception. But society doesn't drive people to have eating disorders. It's more of a compulsion to control because they feel emotionall or situationally out of control.

Well yeah, and as a person who has or does do all three, I'd say that this is bad. We need to encourage the idea that this is bad, not socially acceptible, not something to promote. WE need to keep reinforcing the idea that these behaviors are unacceptible. Maybe a few people will choose not to as a result.

ok then call it peer pressure, family dynamics all have an effect on this which to me make it social issue, if it is happening in our society then it is a social issue, just my opinion though

• Author

The points you have all made were my general consensus in the thread I recently refered to.

The reason behind this thread: I was pretty much silenced in an earlier thread, and told I was selfish, conceited, cruel, and rude for having these exact opinions about the medical problems associated with being overweight, and obese.

Because I am thin myself, apparently I have never had to struggle with such medical/ psychological issue of this magnitude myself.

The passion behind all this is my struggle with cervical cancer.

Although I may only be 20, I have experienced the pain and suffering associated with a medical illness that could not be helped.

As someone said earlier, it saddens them to see obese people in the street... I agree- It saddens me to think "there are so many things out there that can hurt or kill us."

Why not eat some yummy, healthy, and nutritious food, go for a one hour walk a day just to eliminate the many health problems associated with obeseity.

If you have your health- you have EVERYTHING.

whichwayisup
Why not eat some yummy, healthy, and nutritious food, go for a one hour walk a day just to eliminate the many health problems associated with obeseity.

Not everybody cares enough, or some are too lazy to DO anything about it. Routine, lifestyle, habit, whatever...

I agree 100%, if you have your health, you have everything. Without it, life can really SUCK!

I love to cook - and - I love to eat!

I only eat when I am hungry, however I make sure what I eat at that time is food that tastes fantastic. I am not going to waste my calories on something that doesn't taste great.

Right now - for breakfast - I am eating a piece of quiche with basil, mushrooms and feta cheese... sooooo good!

• Author
Pink, I'm not disagreeing with what you've said, nor your right to say it.

People make choices though, some good and some bad. THEY are responsible for those choices and the result of those choices, you shouldn't stress yourself over it.

Unfortunately Stoopid Guy- this is the kind of "let them do it to themselves" attitude that has lead to the social panic of this crisis.

Plus, I am a journo- everything I do, day in day out, is in the social sphere, and although may not affect me directly, affects me indirectly.

Unfortunately Stoopid Guy- this is the kind of "let them do it to themselves" attitude that has lead to the social panic of this crisis.

Plus, I am a journo- everything I do, day in day out, is in the social sphere, and although may not affect me directly, affects me indirectly.

:rolleyes:

Exactly the problem here. People need to quit stuffing themselves. Listen to your body, and quit eating when satisfied.

I just ate lunch and I quit when full... plus I only put on my plate what I thought was needed, piece of chicken and two sides, just a little.

Plus I am at work and what annoyed me is that I could smell the smoke from people smoking outside....very annoying,

enhailing some smoke with lunch, just what I needed mmm tasty.

So, let's see... do you get as passionate about unprotected sex? Speeding? Motorcycling? Snake-handling? Drinking and driving?

So, let's see... do you get as passionate about unprotected sex? Speeding? Motorcycling? Snake-handling? Drinking and driving?

Good question....

may I add sexual abuse, animal cruelty, war, racism...

Good question....

may I add sexual abuse, animal cruelty, war, racism...

In a recent government study, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that obesity is fast approaching tobacco as the top underlying preventable cause of death in the USA.

Google this and it will bring up the article as I can't post it here

But I think PA is right about it being an epidemic

ok then call it peer pressure, family dynamics all have an effect on this which to me make it social issue, if it is happening in our society then it is a social issue, just my opinion though

You missed my point, but I won't argue this. Eating disoders are not a social issue. They existed before there was an aesthetic demand for thinness.

If you're interested in more information just lookup the treatment protocols for eating disoders. You can also PM me if you'd like a more in-depth explanation as to why these state disorders are not social issues.