Appearing wealthy to attract dates.

Originally posted by Gold Pile

I'm looking for ideas on cheap activities that won't ruin the wealthy image. I'm thinking Indie cinima, art gallery that kind of thing.

Are you really looking for a gold-digger, or are you trying to work out how to win the approval of nice, tasteful upper-middle class gals?

If you want art-gallery types, you might be better off buying something quirky like a Morgan or an MG. Buy the BMW, and I think you'll be pitching at missionary-position zealots who dream of traditional courtship, posh(ish) restaurants, engagement rings and suburban dreamhomes in which regular Mary Kay parties can be held.

Originally posted by lindya

Are you really looking for a gold-digger, or are you trying to work out how to win the approval of nice, tasteful upper-middle class gals?

I don't think tasteful activities like indie cinima and visiting an art gallery would prevent a gold digger from considering me rich. EVENTUALLY a gold digger would want to see absolute signs of wealth, If at that point I'm not willing to spend lavishly...she is free to lose interest.

I hope by that time, we would have had some fun. (including the cheap but tasteful dates)

With apologies to The Grateful Dead, what a long strange thread this has been!

I don't get it "gold pile" you are well off, not rich and now you want to get gold diggers to fall for you. Is this some kind of revenge thing your on? Did you fall in love with a gold digger when you were younger and she turned you down for an old geezer with a bad cough? Or is this some kind of covert research of yours into what "common" people think rich people are all about?

If you want to have fun with the ladies you can do it in an honest way you know. You can date with no strings attached, no commitments and etc. That way no one gets hurt--including you.

Any gold digger worth her salt is going to see past your facade in a nano-second and play you like a slack jawed, knee slapping yokel at the snake oil counter of the county fair.

And what of the women that you think are gold diggers but are not? You intend to toy with their emotions based on incorrect assumptions and you think no one is going to get hurt?

Then the grand finale of personalities for you to contend with is the "crazy." The crazy may or may not be a gold digger, maybe her grudge against men is stronger than your grudge against women. Maybe she just doesn't care anymore, one more fake a$$clown of a man and she is going to crack and it ain't gonna be pretty. Who knows.

You didn't get to be well off by venturing into unknown territory for questionable returns and now you propose to do just that. No matter how well you plan things out, once you start on this adventure the first thing you are going to find is that the "gold diggers" haven't read your plan.

pile

When you get yourself a house in that gated community, then maybe you'll have a chance to play your game. But Craig is right; any gold-digger worth her salt will sniff you out.

Originally posted by Craig

Any gold digger worth her salt is going to see past your facade in a nano-second and play you like a slack jawed, knee slapping yokel at the snake oil counter of the county fair.

:laugh: Very vivid description.

Better that GP focus his energies on acquiring props to attract materialistic members of the opposite sex, than spend his time trying to fake a caring and idealistic nature in order to win the hearts of more spiritual types. Think how some men fake love in order to obtain regular sex. GP's methods are relatively tame, I'd say.

This "experiment" will hopefully increase his chances of finding a like-minded female - and you never know...the newly purchased BMW might end up sporting a "Just hitched" sign and speeding them off towards a technicolour sunset. Lots of people kick off by saying they just want to play the dating game and have fun...only to end up meeting the person who's right for them and having a happy long term relationship.

Cars have nothing to do with wealth, I am not wealthy I drive a Mercdes it's no diffrent than a Honda Civic I got it BECAUSE they hold there value

I lost any awe I ever had of Mercedes when I saw that most of the taxis in several European cities are Mercs lol. And there's a beemer parked beside my car in the garage and I'm not living in any gated community.

Lots of people kick off by saying they just want to play the dating game and have fun...only to end up meeting the person who's right for them and having a happy long term relationship.

So true!! What's that song..."I fooled around and fell in love..." :laugh:

I can't believe the amount of posters on here actually encouraging this guy to go ahead with his weird experiment.

gold pile's plan is to misrepresent himself and he's dead wrong if he thinks there will be no repercussions.

I think something has happened to him in the past, and it's left him consumed with contempt for women.

It appears to be a plot stemed from vengeance.

Rosalind, he wants to revel in being materialistic and fake. You won't succeed in injecting any idealism or genuine qualities into him....so the best thing to do is assist him in finding someone equally shallow - ie, someone who will be more interested in examining the shiny props than she is in sussing the man himself out.

Never heard the phrase "at least they won't spoil another couple"? ;)

Never heard the phrase "at least they won't spoil another couple"? ;)

LOL...okay gotcha :)

Originally posted by Craig

With apologies to The Grateful Dead, what a long strange thread this has been!

now you want to get gold diggers to fall for you.

And what of the women that you think are gold diggers but are not? You intend to toy with their emotions based on incorrect assumptions and you think no one is going to get hurt?

I'm not looking for anyone to fall for me, just do the usual explorations...A couple of dates and sex. Who falls for someone that soon? I intend to be seen as having potential to money centered people...They will later find that this aspect is won't pan out with me...They'll then move on to next target.

Mistake a non gold digger? I hope not. Do you think my flashy routine will attract such? It might repel them.

Hopefully I can identify them, and treat them properly. I do not intend to hurt anyone, including diggers.

I won't be making promises and preaching my love.

I pick up my new car in 2 days. I think outcast wants to barrow it :)

The decision to get the car is what started me thinking of this whole issue.

On my journey to prosperity I encountered dozens of people who considered themself or other BMW drivers better off than I. I countered with all the same words that many here have used.

You do not have to convince me that a mercedes isn't a sign of wealth... I agree with you 100%, always have, always will.

But I've met far too many people ~men and women~ who think it is wealth. They ARE out there.

And I wouldn't mind being temporarily embraced by women who are exploring me as a potential Diamond Jim Brady.

After they find me to be somewhat frugal, they'll move on to more suitable prospects. If by chance someone is still attracted to the frugal guy they've uncovered, well then she isn't a Gold Digger and would be treated with caution.

Even the diggers wouldn't be treated harshly, I respect their game, they want a spender and are entitled to look for him. I won't be committing to or kicking to the curb, anyone. It is they who will choose to leave me.

Originally posted by gold pile

I've met far too many people ~men and women~ who think it is wealth. They ARE out there.

And I wouldn't mind being temporarily embraced by women who are exploring me as a potential Diamond Jim Brady.

Every top-selling product relies on a creative team of marketing experts. You want to be a product...so be it. Have you got the panache to sell yourself, as this product? You might think that the BMW will do the work for you, but I promise you it won't be enough. You'll need to project the sort of charismatic presence that engineers wealthy people to the top. The sort of presence that empowers a natural leader not only to ignore the herd's view as to what the "right" car is...but to go one step further and use his personality and imagination to change the herd's collective mind.

If you don't have that, you might splash out on the car only to hear people say "I see that guy Gold Pile has a BMW. Everyone seems to have one these days. There must be a special deal on."

If you don't have that, you might splash out on the car only to hear people say "I see that guy Gold Pile has a BMW. Everyone seems to have one these days. There must be a special deal on."

Now with leasing, even the janitor can drive a BMW 540i for only $499/month*. :lmao:

*Includes 12K miles/yr. Taxes not included. Non maintenance lease. All incentives to dealer. $1,999 down, closed end lease. Extra wear and tear is responsibility of leasee.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40
Originally posted by gold pile

After they find me to be somewhat frugal, they'll move on to more suitable prospects. If by chance someone is still attracted to the frugal guy they've uncovered, well then she isn't a Gold Digger and would be treated with caution.

Even the diggers wouldn't be treated harshly, I respect their game, they want a spender and are entitled to look for him. I won't be committing to or kicking to the curb, anyone. It is they who will choose to leave me.

So once you find your gold digger who turns out to be a genuine NON-gold digger, will you be any less frugal? IE will you still be a cheap a**h*** who doesn't even want to try to spoil your special lady once in a while?

Originally posted by MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

So once you find your gold digger who turns out to be a genuine NON-gold digger, will you be any less frugal? IE will you still be a cheap a**h*** who doesn't even want to try to spoil your special lady once in a while?

If she isn't, she won't mind that he doesn't try to spoil her in material terms. Nobody stands to lose, unless you're taking the position that even women who aren't gold diggers want to be financially spoiled once in a while, which would imply that women who aren't gold diggers in relative terms are gold diggers in absolute terms.

Tread lightly here, it's a tricky paradox.

Originally posted by scratch

If she isn't, she won't mind that he doesn't try to spoil her in material terms. Nobody stands to lose, unless you're taking the position that even women who aren't gold diggers want to be financially spoiled once in a while, which would imply that women who aren't gold diggers in relative terms are gold diggers in absolute terms.

Tread lightly here, it's a tricky paradox.

Your argument could be used to justify never ever treating a partner in any way that involved parting with cash, on the grounds that they're not one of life's gold diggers and therefore shouldn't mind never getting spoiled.

Most people in a relationship like indulging their partner's tastes and interests from time to time, and though I agree with you that it can be done in a non-materialistic way the prospect of never ever doing anything nice that involves parting with cash strikes me as overly spartan. I guess we all just have to decide on our own principles and boundaries, and not worry about the labels other people want to give us for doing so.

Your argument could be used to justify never ever treating a partner in any way that involved parting with cash, on the grounds that they're not one of life's gold diggers and therefore shouldn't mind never getting spoiled.

I can say, without hesitation, that if my girlfriend never gave me a gift more than $20 in value, I wouldn't resent the lack of pecuniary spoiling in the slightest. Dvds, books and novelty T-shirts, for example, are some of the best gifts I've ever recieved.

Most people in a relationship like indulging their partner's tastes and interests from time to time, and though I agree with you that it can be done in a non-materialistic way the prospect of never ever doing anything nice that involves parting with cash strikes me as overly spartan. I guess we all just have to decide on our own principles and boundaries, and not worry about the labels other people want to give us for doing so.

I agree that never spending large sums on the other person is restrictive, but that's not to say it should matter. Should it? Perhaps you could explain how such a limitation could be damaging to a relationship.

I can say, without hesitation, that if my girlfriend never gave me a gift more than $20 in value, I wouldn't resent the lack of pecuniary spoiling in the slightest.

this may be true SCRATCH but if you never got her an expensive gift at least once in a while then you'd be sleeping on the couch, or worse yet, you'd be an ex-b/f :lmao:

Originally posted by alphamale

this may be true SCRATCH but if you never got her an expensive gift at least once in a while then you'd be sleeping on the couch, or worse yet, you'd be an ex-b/f

Is that true even if the woman isn't a gold digger? If so, why?

I agree that never spending large sums on the other person is restrictive, but that's not to say it should matter. Should it? Perhaps you could explain how such a limitation could be damaging to a relationship.

I didn't mention large sums. In fact where two people are dating and one earns a lot more than the other, it could start feeling pretty unbalanced and uncomfortable if one was always splashing out large amounts of cash on the other.

An example where never spending large sums on the other person could be damaging to the relationship? Well lets say a couple get married, have a baby and the wife goes back to work part-time and isn't earning much of a wage. They both love travelling, but she can't afford to do it any more. They'd both love to visit Paris - so he buys himself a ticket and says "Shame you can't afford it, darling...see you when I get back."

Is that true even if the woman isn't a gold digger? If so, why?

No it's not true.

An example where never spending large sums on the other person could be damaging to the relationship? Well lets say a couple get married, have a baby and the wife goes back to work part-time and isn't earning much of a wage. They both love travelling, but she can't afford to do it any more. They'd both love to visit Paris - so he buys himself a ticket and says "Shame you can't afford it, darling...see you when I get back."

I agree that would be lousy of him, especially because she's not working in large part to address matters that would otherwise fall largely into his lap. Ideally, money wouldn't be an issue for a couple because they would each be able to buy their own stuff. If you're with a person who wants more than he or she is able to afford, and is looking at you to fill in the gap, you're probably with a gold digger.

Originally posted by Moose

No it's not true.

I wouldn't imagine it was. That's why I asked HIM to defend his position.