The downside to being beautiful...

Hopeful30

ascendotum
One other thing lol

I heard a very wealthy man once say in an interview. "Does mone buy happiness? Well, let me just say this, I've been rich, and I've been poor, and I'll tell you right now, rich is better."

I'm sure the same goes with being a stunner. :p

For sure. Yes there are downsides but they are well outweighed by the positives. People in society strive to be more attractive, because its more desirable. Its the short/ugly/skinny/fat/un-feminine/un-masculine/old/dorky, etc who face more prejudice or less options than beautiful people. The people who would really appreciate it are the ones who have done the ugly duckling to beautiful swan type transformation or those who have had misfortune and gone the other way.

Just with my sisters I noticed the difference with their looks. The prettier one, saved $000s on free drinks and free VIP passes & club entry, getting off on speeding tickets, better looking bfs with better careers who were more generous with gifts & trips away to resorts, cushy jobs with good pay. The downside she had more guys hitting on her which annoyed her as she was not confident enough to reject them in an effective manner.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
finalendeavor

I know this an older thread but I just needed to say that I'm so glad someone finally acknowledges/ can relate to this.

I recently got dumped in a pretty terrible way; I think he was so enamored with my appearance that he didn't realize I was an actual person. He was so concerned with showing me off to everyone that once he did, he had no residual interest left over. It was really upsetting.

I get creeped on everywhere I go, too. Coworkers, random people, customers- you name it. I also have a really hard time making friends with females because so many of them just naturally dislike me and think of me as competition.

And no one ever takes me seriously. Superiors talk down to me, instructors assume I'll be slow to understand things; it's an ever-present annoyance.

I'm always left to feel like I've got to "prove" myself more than other people do. Being perceived as universally attractive, as arrogant as that sounds, is a lonely life.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I really can't feel sympathetic to all those beautiful people who have it oh so tough. Poor you for being so beautiful that people notice...

I'd take that any day over the grief I got for not being attractive when I was younger and the continuing rejection I get now.

Fact is beautiful people have it a lot easier in life.

• Like 1
I know this an older thread but I just needed to say that I'm so glad someone finally acknowledges/ can relate to this.

I recently got dumped in a pretty terrible way; I think he was so enamored with my appearance that he didn't realize I was an actual person. He was so concerned with showing me off to everyone that once he did, he had no residual interest left over. It was really upsetting.

I get creeped on everywhere I go, too. Coworkers, random people, customers- you name it. I also have a really hard time making friends with females because so many of them just naturally dislike me and think of me as competition.

And no one ever takes me seriously. Superiors talk down to me, instructors assume I'll be slow to understand things; it's an ever-present annoyance.

I'm always left to feel like I've got to "prove" myself more than other people do. Being perceived as universally attractive, as arrogant as that sounds, is a lonely life.

How about the people who cannot GET any guys to feel " enamoured " with them?

Beautiful people garner the sparks, chemistry and " strong in love feelings" more readily. Most average folks don't get to experience a partner who is enamoured or infatuated with them at any point in the daring process.

All the beautiful people I know got to experience the strong lusty stage of limerence in their relationships.

Average or un attractive people, usually skipped the falling head over heels stage. Because great poetry and love stories ALWAYS involve a beautiful face.

• Like 1

That makes sense, that it happens. So many people are so obsessed with physical appearance. I've known women who dress down, never wear make-up and so on to decrease unwanted attention. The effect on your career is terrible though. I'm sorry that's happening to you. I think it's an extension of the old habit of reducing women to what they look like, by neanderthals pretty much. While I'm not beautiful by any means, there have been times that people have acted as though my looks are my primary or only important attribute. I even had a BF say once that the only reason I'd been hired to consult on cases was because I was cute- right after I'd out-thought him and shown that he was wrong about something. (Ooooh, not supposed to do that! Not a BF for long. ha) Usually it gets better over time as you prove yourself. Those people become less relevant.

I get it. (Nice humblebrag, BTW :)

People become so obsessed with your appearance that you neglect who you are as a human. However, just realize that you have far more opportunities to meet who you want and get what you want, than the average Jane.

Don't get me wrong; life is tough, having this ten-inch ____ :)

• Like 1
How about the people who cannot GET any guys to feel " enamoured " with them?

Beautiful people garner the sparks, chemistry and " strong in love feelings" more readily. Most average folks don't get to experience a partner who is enamoured or infatuated with them at any point in the daring process.

All the beautiful people I know got to experience the strong lusty stage of limerence in their relationships.

Average or un attractive people, usually skipped the falling head over heels stage. Because great poetry and love stories ALWAYS involve a beautiful face.

I never thought about that before but it's so true. When you're a knockout I'm sure life is much more romantic and passionate. Very few men will have the "love at first sight" chemistry with an ugly girl

I think its unfair that in society we always focus on the benefits of beauty and the negatives of being below average looking. I have some friends, both male and female, who hate being as good looking as they are and I wanted to bring that forth here (no immature comments please, if u dont like this thread, move on.)

Downsides:

Everyone always stares at you and you cant have a normal anything without many eyes on you (imagine? I would f*ckn hate that)

People assume you are high maintenance or look down on others because youre better looking than them

People assume you are out of their "league" wtf is a league?

Romantically people are intimidated or too nervous to apprpach you.

People think you have life easy because youre beautiful

People dont take you seriously because (as above) they think beauty = solution to everything

You become a trophy or are sought after to be a trophy

Those who DO approach you notice nothing but your looks or are too too focused on them to discover who you really are

People treat you differently for whatever reason

Life can feel superficial because your looks are the first and last thing people notice about yoU

People are always surprised if youre single, as if youre not allowed because you can have anyone you want

They say that because they were always beautiful, and got used to it.

Believe me, if they were ugly, they would do anything to get beautiful.

Its unbelievable some people have everything and dont value it enough.

I never thought about that before but it's so true. When you're a knockout I'm sure life is much more romantic and passionate. Very few men will have the "love at first sight" chemistry with an ugly girl

I require the strong, immediate chemistry for dating purposes. I don't do the " well he didn't think I was anything special, he wasn't enamoured or infatuated with me, but he thought I was such an amazing person that he fell for my personality and he in turn, grew to find me physically beautiful that way. Is the sex as sizzling as it was with his beautiful exes? No. But she is the nicest woman he has ever met "

Nope. I want the immediate jolt of excitement and a spark.

I am cute so I have no issues there. I am not a beauty as you can see from my profile pictures, but I am cute enough to men to immediately feel chemistry with me......

I feel sorry for people who are unattractive because it is hard enough meeting a partner who is mutually attracted to you AND compatible.... Imagine how awful it is for those who are basically invisible to men??

Edited by Leigh 87

My friend is beautiful.

She is never single. She just meets men in her every day life who are enamoured by her at first site.

She had an ill fitting boyfriend. Just as she wanted to break up, she immediately " runs into " a guy who she feels the instant fireworks of chemistry with. She got rid of her bad bf and got with the new guy who fell hard for her from day one. He was smitten. He fell head over heels for her. They also have a sizzling explosive sex life because my beautiful friend ONLY needs to date men who she feels breathless around because she is presented with those options and therefore she of course, opts to date the men who male her weak at the knees ( EVERYONE would RATHER choose a partner who they get the butterflies over)

So they were all lusty and head over heels from date one. She got treated like a princess, spoilt and pampered. Taken in trips. Never was asked to pay. I'd you REALLY think cute average or ugly girls would get the royal treatment?? I am dating a guy who fell for me at first site. But you can bet he isn't treating me to lovely meals nor is he going to pay for organic weekend trips away. Women who are beautiful simply get men to spoil them. It is biological of men to fawn all over gorgeous women.....

... From the moment he saw her, he knew it was the face he wanted to marry. They are going to get Married soon enough. Meanwhile, cute girls like me I'd get a few instantly attracted men... However, most of the men who fall all over themselves for me aren't men I mutually feel the spark with. So I stay single for years until a man spots me and we mutually fall for each other due to our stellar chemistry.

It is no coincidence that my more beautiful friend just never has to be single...... Men just spot her and feel enamoured. Quality men that she wants. Merely cute girls don't get as many good quality men that fawn over us, we have less to choose from and therefore remain single for longer unless we want to settle for lack of butterflies and amazing chemistry.

Oh gee what a hard life.

Hey wan to trade faces with me?

....... I didn't think so.

The fact is, there is no WAY you would want to trade looks with a girl like me. My cute, mildly attractive pictures are up on this site. And the fact is, you are MUCH much happier being " beautiful " than you would be looking like me.

The only men who want to spoil women like me are very unattractive losers.

No decent and cute guys who I feel crushes on and the chemistry with, ever want to spoil us or treat us to romantic dinners.

My beautiful friend is always taken on romantic wine and cheese tasting trips weekly. He also takes her interstate for cute romantic trips. He also fell hard for her at first site. Because she is gorgeous. And they so happen to be highly compatible. He even admitted to her that he didn't spoil his ex who he was with for twice as long, because he just didn't feel infatuated or enamoured by his merely " pretty " ex.

Meanwhile, I am dating a guy who yes he was attracted to me instantly but I am not a girl who will make him spoil me or treat me to regular romantic dinners out. I don't make him want to go all gaga over me and treat me like a princess.

Men are simple. Girls like you inspire them to romance the heck out of them. You're genetically the best thing they have going and also what they are conditioned to venerate so of course the men YOU date, versus the men I date, are going to treat you a lot better than men treat me...for the simple fact that men truly do go all silly over women who they feel stronger chemistry and attraction with.......

I am going to a nose job soon. And botox. I am loosing weight too even though I am already a 32DD and size 4 at 5"6. I REALLY want to be beautiful. I know my life will be way easier for me. Men will romance me and buy me the occasional gift like my friends boyfriend does for her....... Simply because her face inspired a great love story when I merely garner under control, non remarkable feelings from men.

Look at celebrity news and you will see that gorgeous women get cheated on all the time so it is not a magic bullet.

I am going to a nose job soon. And botox. I am loosing weight too even though I am already a 32DD and size 4 at 5"6. I REALLY want to be beautiful. I know my life will be way easier for me. Men will romance me and buy me the occasional gift like my friends boyfriend does for her....... Simply because her face inspired a great love story when I merely garner under control, non remarkable feelings from men.

I don't know what to say to that. I'm so happy I'm not dating girls if this is the reality. Tragic...

One of the complaints I see here is that beautiful women are seen as high maintenance and unapproachable. I have to admit feeling that way myself through past experiences. Beautiful people tend to know they're beautiful and I wouldn't dream of approaching a really beautiful woman because I know I'd get shot down in flames.

I'm not saying all beautiful women behave this way, just that most do I'm sorry to say.

Look at celebrity news and you will see that gorgeous women get cheated on all the time so it is not a magic bullet.

But being gorgeous does inspire stonger feelings of passion.

It also makes men want to treat to romantic dinners and gifts.

Average to cute girls don't get romanced. They don't inspire that thing where men go all silly over you.

• Like 1
Oh gee what a hard life.

Hey wan to trade faces with me?

....... I didn't think so.

The fact is, there is no WAY you would want to trade looks with a girl like me. My cute, mildly attractive pictures are up on this site. And the fact is, you are MUCH much happier being " beautiful " than you would be looking like me.

The only men who want to spoil women like me are very unattractive losers.

No decent and cute guys who I feel crushes on and the chemistry with, ever want to spoil us or treat us to romantic dinners.

My beautiful friend is always taken on romantic wine and cheese tasting trips weekly. He also takes her interstate for cute romantic trips. He also fell hard for her at first site. Because she is gorgeous. And they so happen to be highly compatible. He even admitted to her that he didn't spoil his ex who he was with for twice as long, because he just didn't feel infatuated or enamoured by his merely " pretty " ex.

Meanwhile, I am dating a guy who yes he was attracted to me instantly but I am not a girl who will make him spoil me or treat me to regular romantic dinners out. I don't make him want to go all gaga over me and treat me like a princess.

Men are simple. Girls like you inspire them to romance the heck out of them. You're genetically the best thing they have going and also what they are conditioned to venerate so of course the men YOU date, versus the men I date, are going to treat you a lot better than men treat me...for the simple fact that men truly do go all silly over women who they feel stronger chemistry and attraction with.......

I can relate to this. I too would describe myself as cute or mildly attractive and it's frustrating because you get a taste of what it's like to be adored but rarely the real deal, especially if you don't have a sparkling personality. I do suspect a few of my exes whom I treated well would have stuck it out longer if I was a bit prettier. The most irritating part is that guys wear beauty goggles when it comes to a girl's personality. Beauty will boost his assessment of every non physical trait that she has -- with the right body and face a "basic" girl will suddenly be considered brilliant, hilarious, magnetic. It's like could you at least be honest with yourself about what you're responding to here? I mean it's fine if you want to be superficial but don't act like you have some unique "psychic", soul-mate connection with her just because she's hot when you know damn well that every other guy who sees her thinks exactly the same. Sorry to be so cynical and I know I have my superficial tendencies but I think I can at least separate looks from personality.

• Like 1

Average to cute girls don't get romanced. They don't inspire that thing where men go all silly over you.

Where is your evidence for this? Is it all based on your one friend who has had the type of relationship you've always wanted?

Most Ludacris thing I've read today.

• Like 4

Yup. When a girl is average to cute suddenly his busy schedule, how often you text him and every minor flaw you have becomes ultra important...

If it makes anybody feel better I once rejected a woman that could have been a model. That is how good she looked but I want more than somebody nice to look at.

• Like 1
If it makes anybody feel better I once rejected a woman that could have been a model. That is how good she looked but I want more than somebody nice to look at.

Who did you give the organic cheese to?

• Like 3
Where is your evidence for this? Is it all based on your one friend who has had the type of relationship you've always wanted?

Most Ludacris thing I've read today.

I actually agree with Leigh on this. I'm not saying guys never fall crazy in love with normal women. Of course they do! But it's just less often and it's also a function of the guy's own attractiveness. Men usually try to date up a little, so an average looking girl will have an easier time finding a below average guy who will adore her. A cute or average looking woman can find love of course but she will have to work a bit harder for it.

You're special, though. ;)

I can relate to this. I too would describe myself as cute or mildly attractive and it's frustrating because you get a taste of what it's like to be adored but rarely the real deal, especially if you don't have a sparkling personality. I do suspect a few of my exes whom I treated well would have stuck it out longer if I was a bit prettier. The most irritating part is that guys wear beauty goggles when it comes to a girl's personality. Beauty will boost his assessment of every non physical trait that she has -- with the right body and face a "basic" girl will suddenly be considered brilliant, hilarious, magnetic. It's like could you at least be honest with yourself about what you're responding to here? I mean it's fine if you want to be superficial but don't act like you have some unique "psychic", soul-mate connection with her just because she's hot when you know damn well that every other guy who sees her thinks exactly the same. Sorry to be so cynical and I know I have my superficial tendencies but I think I can at least separate looks from personality.

I too have a small taste of what gorgeous girls get to feel like.

In the last three months I have dated two hot guys lately and they totally gave me the " I am not into plain girls, you definitely have a " different " look about you! " . They seemed to think I was " gorgeous " but I digress.... If my long and non tiny nose was a tiny button nose, and I was beautiful, what is the bet that I would have been romanced and spoilt and taken out to romantic dinners?

So in other words...I don't have the tiny nose and saucer eyes and perfect skin that transix men.

I legitimately have men who call me gorgeous. On a regular basis. But obviously not enough for me to have enough options to find a mutual spark. I do my fair share of rejecting too, and the men who think I am beautiful I am not attracted to and the guys I feel it for, don't want me. They are usually unavailable to their credit (one has a mental problem and will remain single forever, the other lives accross country)

I would kill to be beautiful so that I was like my friend....... She never used online dating. She just bumped into her current guy whilst at club. He DIDN'T want a relationship. He wanted to sleep around. He had tinder accounts all specifying that he just wanted some fun.

Of course when he met my friend he felt the electricity instantly and changed his mind about relationships.... she was the girl who changed him. Where as without her, He was planning on being single for a year or two before resuming his search.

She gets treated to weekly romantic dinners and taken on weekend trips. I get men to insanely find me attractive but not to the stage where they fall all over themselves and romance me.

... I REALLY want to be beautiful. I know my life will be way easier for me...

I think you're in for a big surprise.

• Like 7