Oprah or Bible: Which has more influence on women?

There was recently a vote held to investigate possible war crimes by Israel. The only dissenter? The US. Because The USA will stand up for Israel no matter what. I thought that was pretty significant, but it lost something when I saw the list of countries that voted for the war crimes investigation...many, many of them countries who have anything but decent human rights records.

In the end, for me, it's just incredibly saddening, all through history, the lengths humans go to kill and maim other human beings in the name of beliefs, land, resources, money and so on. It doesn't feel like I can do anything about it. Knowing it happens is distressing. Knowing I can do nothing is also distressing. Sometimes, the Ignorance Is Bliss road seems most appealing.

• Like 1
  • Author
There was recently a vote held to investigate possible war crimes by Israel. The only dissenter? The US. Because The USA will stand up for Israel no matter what. I thought that was pretty significant, but it lost something when I saw the list of countries that voted for the war crimes investigation...many, many of them countries who have anything but decent human rights records.

In the end, for me, it's just incredibly saddening, all through history, the lengths humans go to kill and maim other human beings in the name of beliefs, land, resources, money and so on. It doesn't feel like I can do anything about it. Knowing it happens is distressing. Knowing I can do nothing is also distressing. Sometimes, the Ignorance Is Bliss road seems most appealing.

The US' relationship with Israel is a paradox. On one hand, you are correct to say that we support them militarily no matter what. On the other hand, our politicians seem to (at least verbally) support Palestine and, any time there is a rise in conflict, they say that Israel started it. I am honestly baffled by this paradox.

But, in my opinion, the only reason that God hasn't judged America yet is because we support Israel. God prophesied to Abraham that whoever blesses Israel, he will bless; and whoever curses Israel, he will curse. Sounds like this is true to this date.

• Like 2

But, in my opinion, the only reason that God hasn't judged America yet is because we support Israel. God prophesied to Abraham that whoever blesses Israel, he will bless; and whoever curses Israel, he will curse. Sounds like this is true to this date.

Oh please... you begin with an intelligent response then descend into frank fantasy. In what way has God not judged America? in the same way he has not judged Russia on the invasion of Ukraine? In the same way he has not judged Zimbabwe on the regime instigated by Mugabe? in the same way he never judged America on its treatment of American Indians? Or the British regarding the slave trade? Or Japan on its War Crimes? What cloud are you living on? ....:rolleyes:

• Like 1
TheFinalWord

I'm lost in this thread...it goes from Oprah, anti-Christ, Mormonism, Israel, now Obama/Bush :lmao: Hitler approaching in 3...2...1...

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 5
  • Author
Oh please... you begin with an intelligent response then descend into frank fantasy. In what way has God not judged America? in the same way he has not judged Russia on the invasion of Ukraine? In the same way he has not judged Zimbabwe on the regime instigated by Mugabe? in the same way he never judged America on its treatment of American Indians? Or the British regarding the slave trade? Or Japan on its War Crimes? What cloud are you living on? ....:rolleyes:

I'm not living on a cloud. Only the Son of Man will come in a cloud.

OK, as it has been prompted....M30USA points out, America has not been brought to task by God for its stance on Israel, because America SUPPORTS the Israelites. Presumably, Germany will not be brought to task either for its treatment of the Jews in WWII, because maybe they weren't from or IN Israel..... so that's OK then.

Canada is actually a bi-lingual country, America isn't. Trust me, I grew up being told I'd never get a job if I didn't speak French and I've never once had an issue getting a job for only speaking English. If I moved to very, very specific locations in my country, would it be an issue? Yes. If I worked for the government? Maybe, maybe not, depends on who you know. Working at an Asian or Mexican restaurant/market would not benefit me or the employer as I wouldn't be able to communicate with the majority of their customers. It's as simple as that.

It doesn't seem that Canada has nearly the same level of racial and ethnic diversity that the USA has. What do you think?

Personally, I think people in the US face questions relating to racism on a daily basis. Equality discussions are in the media everyday, we interact in a "melting pot" environment, and we face different challenges because of the many different groups all trying to live and work together.

My region of the US is VERY diverse. I would say Latino and Caucasian are about equal in numbers, and then African American, Asian, and other groups, too. It's one of the things I love about my neighborhood. But, after about 10 years living here, I have to admit I've seen and heard many undercurrents of racism, on all sides of the fence.

IMO, I don't think it's quite fair to limit the definition of racism to only be against those in the minority and "lacking in power" (in other words can't be racist against white people), especially when, in many parts of the US, white people are not the majority.

• Like 2
Presumably, Germany will not be brought to task either for its treatment of the Jews in WWII, because maybe they weren't from or IN Israel..... so that's OK then.

:lmao: Called it

TFW...stop it!! You're cracking me up

I'm not living on a cloud. Only the Son of Man will come in a cloud.
You know, some of your posts are extremely pertinent, sensible and coherent. Then, out of nowhere, you're suddenly resident of 'Weird and Bizarre Avenue'.....How come you then resort to this kind of nonsense?
  • Author
OK, as it has been prompted....M30USA points out, America has not been brought to task by God for its stance on Israel, because America SUPPORTS the Israelites. Presumably, Germany will not be brought to task either for its treatment of the Jews in WWII, because maybe they weren't from or IN Israel..... so that's OK then.

It doesn't mean it's "okay". We are not "okay". We are sometimes more wicked than our enemies. The bigger issue is that God's Word will not go out and return void. He will not be a liar. When he says those nations who bless Israel will be blessed, if he doesn't actually make it so, then he is a liar or not in control.

• Author
You know, some of your posts are extremely pertinent, sensible and coherent. Then, out of nowhere, you're suddenly resident of 'Weird and Bizarre Avenue'.....How come you then resort to this kind of nonsense?

Gotta keep you guessin'.

;)

I'm schizophrenic, remember?

Roses are red

Violets are blue

I am a schizophrenic

And so am I

Edited by M30USA
UpwardForward
I'm lost in this thread...it goes from Oprah, anti-Christ, Mormonism, Israel, now Obama/Bush :lmao: Hitler approaching in 3...2...1...

I'm lost with Oprah.

A woman blessed with the gift of gab, and ending with tremendous wealth and holdings. Good for her.

But, no need to compare her (or her thinkings) with the things of God, the Word of God. Only the frivolous would be her followers.

• Like 1

You must be new around these parts. ;)

Honestly, M30s recent posts in this thread kinda made sense to me.

Do you have a strong background in the bible and Christianity? Because there are a lot of strange things that are supposed to happen, if you put your faith in the bible (which a lot of people do).

• Like 1
You must be new around these parts. ;)

Honestly, M30s recent posts in this thread kinda made sense to me.

Do you have a strong background in the bible and Christianity? Because there are a lot of strange things that are supposed to happen, if you put your faith in the bible (which a lot of people do).

No.

Actually, I'm part-Jewish (though non-practising) and married to a Jew (ditto).

• Like 4
Gotta keep you guessin'.

I'm schizophrenic, remember?

When have I ever accused you or discussed your mental state? Apart from the erroneous diagnosis of Richard Dreyfuss (your avatar, scene from CEOTTK)which I have already stated and shown is inaccurate, because he - by his own admission - is Bipolar?

Be sensible, will you?

• Author
When have I ever accused you or discussed your mental state? Apart from the erroneous diagnosis of Richard Dreyfuss (your avatar, scene from CEOTTK)which I have already stated and shown is inaccurate, because he - by his own admission - is Bipolar?

Be sensible, will you?

As I said, his behavior in the movie more closely resembles Schizophrenia, not Bipolar Disorder.

And if anyone is wondering, I don't have schizophrenia...at least I've never been diagnosed. ;)

leavesonautumn
It doesn't seem that Canada has nearly the same level of racial and ethnic diversity that the USA has. What do you think?

Personally, I think people in the US face questions relating to racism on a daily basis. Equality discussions are in the media everyday, we interact in a "melting pot" environment, and we face different challenges because of the many different groups all trying to live and work together.

My region of the US is VERY diverse. I would say Latino and Caucasian are about equal in numbers, and then African American, Asian, and other groups, too. It's one of the things I love about my neighborhood. But, after about 10 years living here, I have to admit I've seen and heard many undercurrents of racism, on all sides of the fence.

IMO, I don't think it's quite fair to limit the definition of racism to only be against those in the minority and "lacking in power" (in other words can't be racist against white people), especially when, in many parts of the US, white people are not the majority.

Yes, we do actually. My city specifically has a large population of Chinese, Indian and Filipino. Look up ethnic diversity in Canada for more information if you wish. I know white Canadians who are worried about people "taking our jobs" as we have had a huge influx of immigration. In fact, immigrants receive a lot of benefits upon arriving that I personally believe are great things. My mom is an immigrant but because she's "white" she is not discriminated against or people will say "oh but that's different! She's from Europe!"

I don't believe "reverse racism" exists and I'm going to leave it at that.

Racism means:

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Show me proof of this happening against white people on a wide scale in modern history.

• Like 1
  • Author
No.

Did you know salvation belongs to the Jews first (you) and then the Gentiles? By birthright, you are first in line for salvation before me.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile." (Romans 1:16)

• Like 1
Actually, from my own perspective, I don't think that at all. I think of an AntiChrist as someone who simply thinks the whole damned kit 'n' caboodle is a pile of sh....eer fantasy and fairy tale.

No.

From your previous post, it seems like you're not really waiting in anticipation for the return of Christ and Judgement Day, then.

Though you might not believe what Christians believe about God's judgement, could you recognize that many people do believe in such things? Rather than accuse believers of insanity for their beliefs, it might cause you a bit less frustration to try and understand where their coming from. :)

Did you know salvation belongs to the Jews first (you) and then the Gentiles? By birthright, you are first in line for salvation before me.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile." (Romans 1:16)

Don't tell me that. I might be tempted to have a chat with my good buddy Jesus and tell him you're badly wired, so it's probably not safe to let you in. :D

• Like 1
  • Author
Don't tell me that. I might be tempted to have a chat with my good buddy Jesus and tell him you're badly wired, so it's probably not safe to let you in. :D

All good. Most of the prophets would probably be diagnosed with Schizophrenia by today's guidelines. We've discussed this before on LS. It goes with the territory. :)

• Like 3
From your previous post, it seems like you're not really waiting in anticipation for the return of Christ and Judgement Day, then.

Though you might not believe what Christians believe about God's judgement, could you recognize that many people do believe in such things? Rather than accuse believers of insanity for their beliefs, it might cause you a bit less frustration to try and understand where their coming from. :)

Why should I? When Staunch Christians believe we're destined for a life in Hell, and there is no salvation but Christ. There is no let-up for good people, kind, charitable people - who happen to not believe in "the Word of God."

They're unequivocal in their statements, so they'll have to put up with me being unequivocal in mine. I'm not in the slightest bit frustrated. Bemused, yes, cynical, definitely. Frustrated? Not at all....

All good. Most of the prophets would probably be diagnosed with Schizophrenia by today's guidelines. We've discussed this before on LS. It goes with the territory. :)

Apparently though, God would still let you in. It says so, in the Bible. But of course, he would let you in because he felt sorry for you, not necessarily because you actually deserved it.

We do know that Jesus receives as His own all that the Father has given to Him and He will lose none of them along the way (John 6:39). Jesus said of these “And I give to them eternal life, and they shall never ever perish, and not anyone shall pluck them out of My hand” (John 10:28). We can take comfort in knowing that our God’s plan is always perfect, He always does what is right and just, and His love and mercy are infinite and everlasting.

Which is more than can be said for some of his so-called devoted followers on Earth.

• Author
Apparently though, God would still let you in. It says so, in the Bible. But of course, he would let you in because he felt sorry for you, not necessarily because you actually deserved it.

I'll take it then! As the great pastor Alistair Begg says, there is nobody too pathetic and pitiable for the Kingdom of Heaven; but there are plenty of people too strong and too self reliant.

• Like 1
UpwardForward
Why should I? When Staunch Christians believe we're destined for a life in Hell, and there is no salvation but Christ. There is no let-up for good people, kind, charitable people - who happen to not believe in "the Word of God."

They're unequivocal in their statements, so they'll have to put up with me being unequivocal in mine. I'm not in the slightest bit frustrated. Bemused, yes, cynical, definitely. Frustrated? Not at all....

"Good people, kind, charitable people" who do not wish to believe in - or know God, would not want to be with Him through eternity.

• Like 3