Oprah or Bible: Which has more influence on women?

• Author
"Good people, kind, charitable people" who do not wish to believe in - or know God, would not want to be with him through eternity.

This is basically what Jesus said.

• Like 1
Yes, we do actually. My city specifically has a large population of Chinese, Indian and Filipino. Look up ethnic diversity in Canada for more information if you wish. I know white Canadians who are worried about people "taking our jobs" as we have had a huge influx of immigration. In fact, immigrants receive a lot of benefits upon arriving that I personally believe are great things. My mom is an immigrant but because she's "white" she is not discriminated against or people will say "oh but that's different! She's from Europe!"

I don't believe "reverse racism" exists and I'm going to leave it at that.

Racism means:

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Show me proof of this happening against white people on a wide scale in modern history.

Well, this data show that Canada is about 77% white. Maybe you've not been to the US, so you're not as aware about what it's like here. Our demographic breakdown is so complex, I can't even explain it!

And the definition of racism you provided didn't say anything about who's doing the discriminating. Do you honestly think that some minorities don't think that their group is superior? If you do, you are wrong, imo. I've known so many ethnocentric people from minority groups!! Trust me, many people today think their group is the best, and should probably be in charge.

Anyway, you seem kind of dead set against understanding something that you personally don't know too much about (living in the US).

If you would like to read more try:

Does affirmative action punish whites?

Wiki - Reverse Discrimination

• Like 1
leavesonautumn
Well, this data show that Canada is about 77% white. Maybe you've not been to the US, so you're not as aware about what it's like here. Our demographic breakdown is so complex, I can't even explain it!

And the definition of racism you provided didn't say anything about who's doing the discriminating. Do you honestly think that some minorities don't think that their group is superior? If you do, you are wrong, imo. I've known so many ethnocentric people from minority groups!! Trust me, many people today think their group is the best, and should probably be in charge.

Anyway, you seem kind of dead set against understanding something that you personally don't know too much about (living in the US).

If you would like to read more try:

Does affirmative action punish whites?

Wiki - Reverse Discrimination

White people make up 72% of the population in the US. I'm not really sure what you're trying to prove to me with that as we both live in countries based on immigration. ALL I've said in this thread is that I don't believe reverse racism exists, I think you're taking a lot of what I say out of context.

Again, show me real, actual definitive racism against white people on a wide scale in modern history. It seems you can't so you are trying to tell me that discrimination exists in all races. Of course it does, there are horrible and selfish people of all races, all sexes, all religions.

Discrimination and Racism are two different things. I read up enough on Affirmative Action to stand by what I said before on this exact thread.

Let's agree to disagree.

Edited by leavesonautumn
  • Like 2
No.

Actually, I'm part-Jewish (though non-practising) and married to a Jew (ditto).

Why should I? When Staunch Christians believe we're destined for a life in Hell, and there is no salvation but Christ. There is no let-up for good people, kind, charitable people - who happen to not believe in "the Word of God."

They're unequivocal in their statements, so they'll have to put up with me being unequivocal in mine. I'm not in the slightest bit frustrated. Bemused, yes, cynical, definitely. Frustrated? Not at all....

I don't quite understand what people mean when they say non-practicing Jew. Are you just ethnically/culturally Jewish, but an atheist? Or do you believe in God, but you don't believe in the apocalypse? I'm not exactly sure why you found M30's comments so out there.

In your second comment, you seem to put yourself in the category of "good, kind, charitable" people, and feel attacked by the general Christian population. I guess I don't consider calling someone "A resident of the Weird and Bizarre avenue" who speaks nonsense and fantasy to be good, kind and charitable.

So, you've requested that Christians act in a certain way towards you, that you don't do towards others, imo.

White people make up 72% of the population in the US. I'm not really sure what you're trying to prove to me with that as we both live in countries based on immigration. ALL I've said in this thread is that I don't believe reverse racism exists, I think you're taking a lot of what I say out of context.

Again, show me real, actual definitive racism against white people on a wide scale in modern history. It seems you can't so you are trying to tell me that discrimination exists in all races. Of course it does, there are horrible and selfish people of all races, all sexes, all religions.

Discrimination and Racism are two different things. I read up enough on Affirmative Action to stand by what I said before on this exact thread.

Let's agree to disagree.

No, our white population is about 62% (it's hard to understand the breakdown on Wiki). The Latino population is considered White for some census purposes.

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

You can believe whatever you like about race and racism. Best of luck! :)

• Like 1
leavesonautumn
No, our white population is about 62% (it's hard to understand the breakdown on Wiki). The Latino population is considered White for some census purposes.

It says 77%. Latinos make up a wide range of people, not one race. Also, read the rest of the numbers, there's a lot more information than just percentage of race.

Edited by leavesonautumn
It says 77%. Latinos make up a wide range of people, not one race. Also, read the rest of the numbers, there's a lot more information than just percentage of race.

It's cool!

Have you ever been to the US?

leavesonautumn
It's cool!

Have you ever been to the US?

Yes. I've been to Washington, Nevada, California, Montana and Hawaii.

Ever been to Canada and if so, where? :D

Yes. I've been to Washington, Nevada, California, Montana and Hawaii.

Ever been to Canada and if so, where? :D

Yes, Vancouver. I LOVE Vancouver. :love:

But I'm surprised you've been to places like California, Nevada, and Hawaii and think our population looks anything like yours!

Oh well, eh? :p

leavesonautumn
Yes, Vancouver. I LOVE Vancouver. :love:

But I'm surprised you've been to places like California, Nevada, and Hawaii and think our population looks anything like yours!

Oh well, eh? :p

Wait a sec, you've been to Vancouver and didn't see how ours are similar? It's almost half immigrants and half non-immigrants. It's funny you say that considering Canadians view Vancouver as the second biggest melting pot in Canada behind Toronto.

B.C. is nation's most ethnically diverse province: StatsCan - British Columbia - CBC News

• Like 1
Wait a sec, you've been to Vancouver and didn't see how ours are similar? It's almost half immigrants and half non-immigrants. It's funny you say that considering Canadians view Vancouver as the second biggest melting pot in Canada behind Toronto.

B.C. is nation's most ethnically diverse province: StatsCan - British Columbia - CBC News

Leaves! I can't base my entire perception of a country based off a visit to one city (in your most ethnically diverse province, no less). :) That's like saying, San Francisco is diverse, so America is diverse.

Not that Canada doesn't have different challenges, or even a different level of racism that goes on. It's just not quite like the US at this point in time, imo.

But it seems we don't agree on much about this topic, huh?

One thing we might agree on is that we've gone way off-topic. So, to bring it back...God loves you, even if your just a woman in Canada being influenced by Oprah :):p:)

dreamingoftigers
Discrimination is practiced openly here too. It's everywhere on all sides of the fence.

We have a large chain of Mexican grocery stores, I've yet to see a black, white, or any other culture/race employed at any of them.

All of the Mexican restaurants here only employ Mexicans.

If you're not bi-lingual ...bye-bye no job.

The Asian restaurants here only employ Asians.

The NAACP denied membership and even access to their meeting to two black conservatives.

I could cite more instances, although like DOT, we are up way too late Robert:laugh:

Racism exists no doubt.

Having been to for an extended time, 36 states 10 provinces and two territories, it is certainly more prevalent in some areas than others.

However, you are listing restaurants and local grocery.

Often those are family-run establishments. So, yes, the people that run them and the family friends that work there may often look....very similar.

I had the pleasure at 18 during a labor shortage of being the only white hire by a Korean-owned Mexican restaurant. I am not kidding.

The owner had purchased the franchise many years before and his staff (except me) were Korean.

Later they hired a Polish woman and later still in the labour shortage they hired more white university students as well and other Korean staff.

He was the best boss I ever had. Taught me so much about working and professionalism. Was he racist? Maybe. But I actually doubt it. He was a very emotionally-intelligent man who taught Engineering at McGill University and was a very active and believing member of his church.

Why so many Korean hires up and until me? Like at the company parties you could see all-Korean until me. Then it was like I stuck out like a sore thumb for a bit, about half a foot taller than all the other girls and probably twice the size.

Well, he mostly hired from his church. The social ties he already had in place. He had an excellent reputation in his community for employment and so he always had a steady reservoir of people willing to work. Then when, the labour shortage (oil boom) hit, it impacted it. He started taking outside resumes. I was a kid with no prior experience. I am actually amazed he hired me. The labour shortage continues to this day. His son runs the business now and there are still many Koreans working there.

dreamingoftigers
Yes, we do actually. My city specifically has a large population of Chinese, Indian and Filipino. Look up ethnic diversity in Canada for more information if you wish. I know white Canadians who are worried about people "taking our jobs" as we have had a huge influx of immigration. In fact, immigrants receive a lot of benefits upon arriving that I personally believe are great things. My mom is an immigrant but because she's "white" she is not discriminated against or people will say "oh but that's different! She's from Europe!"

I don't believe "reverse racism" exists and I'm going to leave it at that.

Racism means:

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Show me proof of this happening against white people on a wide scale in modern history.

I'm in sales and so I did the demographics for income and immigration for every community in the city. We are about a third immigrant. That's first-gen.

I didn't even realize that it was that high.

I think it's funny when people say that we "aren't as diverse."

Really, because Panorama, (a large-population community here) Hawkwood and Citadel are all over 40%. The whole Northeast (other side of the city) is the same. To the point where it changes the sales demographics in those areas. (Certain ethnic groups are much more responsible as a generality than others.) Everyone knows you "can't sell nothing in the Northeast."

And it's not like the US, where "those people just live over there in the poor community." Panorama, Citadel, Edgemont, Tuscany, Hawkwood, Arbour Lake etc etc etc are all high-middle-class communities. It's infused here. Almost seamlessly.

In fact our crappy community (Forest Lawn, the last remaining Hooker stroll) is actually lower in percentage of immigrants and diversity. It's White-Land more than many classier areas. It's more like White-Trashy Land.

When I ran a cleaning service, I had TONS of Indian clients. We didn't care and they didn't seem to care that we were white.

Alberta seems to care more about who's here to work than their background. I was actually kind of surprised to see the stats on it because one would think with that much mixing, it would cause more problems than it does. But it doesn't seem to.

We don't hear about race riots kicking up in the NE or gangs of youth going out and finding a "white guy" or "an Indian guy" to rough up or whatever.

And this isn't a small place. We have a population of 1.2 million.

We had our worst homicide in our city's history this year. 5 people were killed at once.

FIVE. And the city reeled in shock. A young man stabbed five people at a party in April.

I would honestly like to ask if any Americans would be SHOCKED about FIVE people being killed at once in their city.

Where Canadian criminals go to play - Macleans.ca

http://web4.uwindsor.ca/users/m/mfc/41-240.nsf/0/10ff8b04ff3a317885256d88005720f6/$FILE/ATT8BNDV/0110185-002-XIE.pdf

• Like 1
dreamingoftigers

Let's agree to disagree.

72% vs 77% (and that has most likely shifted a couple percentage points with all of the immigration PLUS the temporary work permits.

It's a pretty reasonable basis for comparison and doesn't explain the wide gaps between races and economic situations in the US vs. Canada.

I am actually surprised that the numbers are that close!

dreamingoftigers

Calgary is 67% white.

We still don't have the same systemic problems in our urban center that I have seen common among American Urban centers.

And you guys are overall richer than us. Your governments are failing you. Sorry to say.