Oprah or Bible: Which has more influence on women?

With all the sarcasm and poking fun here at my antichrist comments, I wonder if any single person here could give me even a basic key point summary of what the antichrist spirit is. I figure you all would know since you believe my comparison of Oprah to the antichrist spirit is outlandish,

Just trying to make light what is otherwise a less-than-uplifting thread. :o

Making a statement that ALL women are primarily influenced by either Oprah or the bible (and basically implying that Oprah is probably womenkind's greatest leader) is somewhat insulting. So it kinda feels like a jab being poked at us women.

However, there are SOME women that do idolize her. I've known plenty of women (Christian women, too), who used to schedule their whole days around when her show came on (day after day, week after week, etc). I mean, watching her surely isn't awful, but there's a point where she becomes a little too important. Most people don't put that much effort into reading their bibles, prayer, or other things. So, it's a matter of looking at what are the priorities our lives, and what really matters to us.

• Like 2
  • Author
If its any comfort to you, Hollywood in general is anti-Christ IMHO. I guess I have a different approach. I would rather people study the bible and then they don't need people to tell them to watch for this false teacher and that. When we do that it is easy for people to start hating, when those that are lost should be recipients of our prayers. I can only think of one time the apostles named names in the bible, though they constantly taught the church how to recognize error (Paul stated Alexander the cooper-smith did him much evil). They can recognize it for themselves. Teach a man to fish or something like that ;)

In terms of spirit of anti-Christ, it's all mapped out in 1 John 4 :)

If a spirit denies Christ has come in the flesh, it is not of God. Those that reject the gospel of the apostles are not of God (John then proceeds to lay out the gospel so there is no gray area).

I agree about the Hollywood comment.

Dr. Charles Stanley, who I know you like, once said that if you want to know what Satan's opinion on any given subject is, 90% of the time you just need to look at the general consensus of society.

• Like 2
pureinheart
So, let me get this straight. You are suspicious of Oprah because she suggested that racism is so ingrained in some cultures that the only way it can be eradicated is for the purveyors to die out. And you think that she is evilly paving the way for …

THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY???

Listen. I can respect all kinds of perspectives that are different from my own, but you are really off base with the idea that God has a favorite political party and that it's yours.

Glinda, you've lost me with this statement. I asked you what you meant by "regime", another poster asked me what I thought you meant. I replied with IDK, but "guessed" and then suggested we could explore it elsewhere.

I had a good reason for asking you what you were referring to, mainly because I didn't know...wow...

pureinheart
I have no idea what you're on about. I only know you'd lose.;)

It's not about "winning" or "losing" it's about facts and truth. I only remember debating Glinda in the political section and figured that's what she was referring to...again I asked her to clarify.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
pureinheart
Forget about politics. Oprah is dangerous because she is a powerful prominent of New Ageism. She is paving the way for the antichrist. By the time the antichrist finally comes, Oprah and those like her will have the world wrapped around his finger without a single fight.

This is what I began to see while watching many of her programs, but it's been so long that I didn't remember what actually began to throw me off concerning her...I just remember picking up on wording and other things that just weren't right.

During the 80's the New Age Movement (which is actually the same old lie) became very popular...I'm sure it was being taught prior, although I remember it really taking off during that time.

What you say here is beyond correct. It was unbelievable how she managed to capture so many. Her fame and fortune were attained within a couple of years and it just kept increasing. I know you steer from politics M30, however I'd like to add she was essential in Obama's first election (presidential) according to what I've read. It's also my understanding that she had a lot to due with O winning the primary over Hillary. That is a big deal IMO given the power the Clintons have. It's also rumored that O didn't make many moves in his first years of presidency without consulting her...like I said, it's rumored, but I wouldn't doubt it.

I would be surprised if there is a person anywhere in the world that doesn't know who she is.

pureinheart
With all the sarcasm and poking fun here at my antichrist comments, I wonder if any single person here could give me even a basic key point summary of what the antichrist spirit is. I figure you all would know since you believe my comparison of Oprah to the antichrist spirit is outlandish,

I don't think it is and I didn't make the connection until you mentioned it. It makes sense. I'm really kind of freaked out right now concerning how easy it can be to be lulled into a false sense of security, how easy deception really can be...

I think it may be useful for Christians to define who - or what - THEY mean by an 'Antichrist' as opposed to what non-Christians may see as an 'Antichrist' or at least their understanding of it.

While many non-Christians exist, who have never had any kind of religious upbringing at all, some have; and used to go to church, or were born into a home or environment where regular worship was the norm, but who have now decided to abandon that kind of practice.

What - anyone? Is an Antichrist, to, YOU, exactly?

pureinheart
I think it may be useful for Christians to define who - or what - THEY mean by an 'Antichrist' as opposed to what non-Christians may see as an 'Antichrist' or at least their understanding of it.

While many non-Christians exist, who have never had any kind of religious upbringing at all, some have; and used to go to church, or were born into a home or environment where regular worship was the norm, but who have now decided to abandon that kind of practice.

What - anyone? Is an Antichrist, to, YOU, exactly?

This could be a good reference, I read it quickly and it seemed ok. T- just so you know I didn't say anything uncool to you, my reply to you went directly to moderation and I'm not sure why. (post #54)

What Does the Bible Say About the Antichrist?

Edited by pureinheart

I had a reply to this thread that did the same. And I wasn't under moderation. No matter. Thanks for the Hedzzup!

• Like 1
Tbisb, TheFinalWord just answered your question a few posts back.

Now what we need is a definition from Non-Christians, because the opinions are BOUND to vary...Did you mean the discussion about Oprah or the Bible to develop into a situation where Oprah seems to be the embodiment of an Antichrist? I'm quite surprised it has taken this turn, myself....

• Like 2
  • Author
Now what we need is a definition from Non-Christians, because the opinions are BOUND to vary...Did you mean the discussion about Oprah or the Bible to develop into a situation where Oprah seems to be the embodiment of an Antichrist? I'm quite surprised it has taken this turn, myself....

I can tell you the perception of antichrist by non-Christians. They believe he will be some blood-sucking, hunched over with gangly arms and claws, overtly vicious and maniacal madman. The truth will be the opposite. While we don't know anything about his appearance from Scripture, we do know he will bring world peace (thus it can be inferred that he is likeable).

I can tell you the perception of antichrist by non-Christians. They believe he will be some blood-sucking, hunched over with gangly arms and claws, overtly vicious and maniacal madman. The truth will be the opposite. While we don't know anything about his appearance from Scripture, we do know he will bring world peace (thus it can be inferred that he is likeable).

Actually, from my own perspective, I don't think that at all. I think of an AntiChrist as someone who simply thinks the whole damned kit 'n' caboodle is a pile of sh....eer fantasy and fairy tale.

`Trisha`...................

Oh now she is something else, isn't she??

Mine too. It means something. It's important.

Yeah. It means Richard Dreyfuss lost the plot, and built a mountain out of mashed potatoes. He's Bi-Polar, you know.

• Like 1
  • Author
Yeah. It means Richard Dreyfuss lost the plot, and built a mountain out of mashed potatoes. He's Bi-Polar, you know.

You mean schizophrenic. And he was normal until the UFO blasted his mind with telepathy. Not unlike this former presidential candidate:

• Like 1
dreamingoftigers

Whatever the Anti-Christ is or isn't.......

Really is not what the thread topic is about.

And frankly, the weird turn it has taken is actually offensive.

The opening question whether women are more influenced by "Bible or Oprah" starts off broad and undefined, but sure I would play ball if the definition were tightened.

However, when you provide an even further whacky context of Oprah "paving a way for the Anti-Christ" you actually take away Oprah as being say, a cultural icon or an influential woman or a political organizer.

You make her into a force for evil. She's a PERSON who has been through a lot and made obvious attempts to promote positive change in the world. She may not be a Christian. But it seems that she has inspired women to seek better for themselves in terms of fulfillment and even spiritual exploration. This spiritual exploration bit not directly and unquestioningly following Christian tenants (for herself but not in judgment of others) makes her in league with the Anti-Christ?

Did some of you "Christians" fall asleep during "Do Not Judge Day" at Sunday school when you were kids?

The "real" question of the thread becomes "Are women more influenced by the Bible or by Oprah, who is a force for evil?"

So, women, more vulnerable to "good or evil?"

Wow. Just wow. This is 2014 and we still can't figure out that women are not simply Angels or Devils, but human beings?

You know what? I grew up with Oprah....and......wait for it......I HATED HER.

Not just dislike. Not just "ugh." I HATED HER. Not because she was overweight. Not because she's black. Or her personality. Or the content of her shows, or the topics she picked. Not because of where she was from or why she did what she did.

I hated her because she came on at 5:00 and her show lasted until 6:00. And my mother loved her.

The sad treachery there was that TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES came on at 5:00. And that bitch Oprah messed it up for me regularly. I had a crush on Donatello damn it! But instead of my very little kid self getting to watch Ninja Turtles defeating Shredder. But no. The "Antichrist Crusader" Oprah was on at my house.

I am not defending her because she's "Oprah." I am just saying.....come on......really!?

You need a non-Christian definition of the Anti-Christ to see that the context of this thread is just..... really really offensive and really really questionable even scripturally?

Unless the Anti-Christ was Dr. Phil and he became a Christ-denier that took over the world AND BECAME LIKABLE? Then we might have something. Because she did a lot for his career. Thank Heaven he wasn't on when I was a kid. I wouldn't have been able to see Inspector Gadget either.

So seriously.

If we want to actually talk about what is more influential to the modern woman, the teachings of the Bible or the teachings of Oprah, we would have to take a step back and look at WHO the modern woman is.

Who are we talking about. Because not every woman (ha ha "Every Woman") is the same, and not every woman has the same ideas on life and life experience.

For some women, Oprah IS the Anti-Christ (non-Christian definition), for some women, she's a living, breathing successful Goddess. Which is more popular?

I think Oprah is more accessible to non-Christian women and women who were raised without tons of church instruction. I also think that many Christian women find that Oprah's book clubs and tv show gave them a valuable platform to examine social issues and prejudices until she retired. I have no idea how many women she influences now with her network.

I think that for Christian women, especially those raised in the faith that stay strong to it, they put more stock in the Bible. Therefore, they are continually seeking it's influence.

Otherwise, seeing how poorly the Bible is often represented in American media in particular makes it disturbing to women who weren't (and often were) raised in a church-going home.

• Like 6
You mean schizophrenic. And he was normal until the UFO blasted his mind with telepathy. Not unlike this former presidential candidate:

No. I mean BiPolar. Like he says.

And please don't take the subject off-topic any more than it needs to go. Even if it is your own thread.

How would you address dreamingoftigers' post? or has she been hit by a Martian death-ray?

Glinda.Good

And I'm a Mormon.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but in case you don't already know …

You're considered to be in league with the devil by these folks. Mormons and Oprah. And Obama. Catholics, too. And pretty much anybody who is not exactly like them.