Oprah or Bible: Which has more influence on women?

Glinda.Good
Glinda, you've lost me with this statement. I asked you what you meant by "regime", another poster asked me what I thought you meant. I replied with IDK, but "guessed" and then suggested we could explore it elsewhere.

I had a good reason for asking you what you were referring to, mainly because I didn't know...wow...

Current regime: Racist leaders of racist cultures / societies. South Africa and the American deep south, for example.

They die off (of natural causes) leaving a path open for a NEW regime.

Which, in my dreams, would not embrace and promote racism.

• Like 3
Glinda.Good

During the 80's the New Age Movement (which is actually the same old lie) became very popular...I'm sure it was being taught prior, although I remember it really taking off during that time.

Do you include pre-Christian religions which are practiced today to be evil New Age mojo? Or just the kind of thing that people talk about while they're in a spa listening to Yanni?

Glinda.Good
I can tell you the perception of antichrist by non-Christians. They believe he will be some blood-sucking, hunched over with gangly arms and claws, overtly vicious and maniacal madman

What hubris! Why not let a non-christian speak for what "they" perceive to be the antichrist. There are plenty of "them" in this thread.

The truth will be the opposite. While we don't know anything about his appearance from Scripture, we do know he will bring world peace (thus it can be inferred that he is likeable).

Well, that brings new understanding about why so many self professed rabid christians are all about fighting wars! Peace = bad!

Not very Christlike, my brother.

We know from scripture that antichrist will come in a surprising form, probably. I predict that it very well may be in the form of a person who presents themselves as the world's greatest expert on the bible and on all things christian.

Not Oprah.

dreamingoftigers
I'm sorry to tell you this, but in case you don't already know …

You're considered to be in league with the devil by these folks. Mormons and Oprah. And Obama. Catholics, too. And pretty much anybody who is not exactly like them.

I know.

"Mainstream" and "cultural" Christians have told me allllllll about how, "It's not the 'same' Jesus" (you know, the guy that sacrificed himself for our sins and was resurrected, that Jesus, no no no ......I must mean the "other Jesus" who sacrificed himself for our sins and was resurrected.)

"Mormonism is a cult." Sigh..... love to hear them try to nail-down a proper definition for brainwashing. I converted 12 years ago. I was "forced" into it. They didn't "love-bomb" me and use a bunch of "push-pull" techniques. I have not been forced into a polygamous marriage. In fact, the are banned by the church. Fringe groups in Utah that have been split from the church for over 100 years and have their own churches do that.

My personal favorite: "Mormons are a bunch of child molesters. They teach people to molest their kids." I must have missed that Gospel Essentials class.

"They make you pay 10%." No. They don't. They ask for a standard tithe. Nobody audits me at the end of the year. No one scrutinizes my accounts or tells me I have to do xyz. In fact, the church is more about agency and choice than any other spiritual group I have been apart of.

I could go on....... I get so irritated with the polygamy thing. When my husband cheated on me, I was told by a family friend "You are a Mormon, what do you expect? You should be okay with him having multiple women." He wasn't MARRIED to anyone but me. We aren't POLYGAMOUS.

It's almost as if some people make an extra effort not to make any sense. At least I know who I can stop over and borrow a cup of stupid from if I ever need one.

But the Mormon reference was to the fact that the statements on this thread would most likely put the average person looking into any organized religion into a ......."no thanks" frame of mind. To hear that coming from a Mormon says a lot. We are quite organized as far as religion goes. And quite happy to advertise as such.

• Like 1
leavesonautumn
I know.

"Mainstream" and "cultural" Christians have told me allllllll about how, "It's not the 'same' Jesus" (you know, the guy that sacrificed himself for our sins and was resurrected, that Jesus, no no no ......I must mean the "other Jesus" who sacrificed himself for our sins and was resurrected.)

"Mormonism is a cult." Sigh..... love to hear them try to nail-down a proper definition for brainwashing. I converted 12 years ago. I was "forced" into it. They didn't "love-bomb" me and use a bunch of "push-pull" techniques. I have not been forced into a polygamous marriage. In fact, the are banned by the church. Fringe groups in Utah that have been split from the church for over 100 years and have their own churches do that.

My personal favorite: "Mormons are a bunch of child molesters. They teach people to molest their kids." I must have missed that Gospel Essentials class.

"They make you pay 10%." No. They don't. They ask for a standard tithe. Nobody audits me at the end of the year. No one scrutinizes my accounts or tells me I have to do xyz. In fact, the church is more about agency and choice than any other spiritual group I have been apart of.

I could go on....... I get so irritated with the polygamy thing. When my husband cheated on me, I was told by a family friend "You are a Mormon, what do you expect? You should be okay with him having multiple women." He wasn't MARRIED to anyone but me. We aren't POLYGAMOUS.

It's almost as if some people make an extra effort not to make any sense. At least I know who I can stop over and borrow a cup of stupid from if I ever need one.

But the Mormon reference was to the fact that the statements on this thread would most likely put the average person looking into any organized religion into a ......."no thanks" frame of mind. To hear that coming from a Mormon says a lot. We are quite organized as far as religion goes. And quite happy to advertise as such.

I like reading your posts. Also, yay Calgary!

• Like 2
leavesonautumn
I can tell you the perception of antichrist by non-Christians. They believe he will be some blood-sucking, hunched over with gangly arms and claws, overtly vicious and maniacal madman. The truth will be the opposite. While we don't know anything about his appearance from Scripture, we do know he will bring world peace (thus it can be inferred that he is likeable).

Please tell me more about my perceptions, as a non-Christian, about the bible and the anti-Christ.

From what I was taught growing up as a Roman Catholic, the anti-Christ is a figure who society as a whole likes and can "get behind". They're not necessarily the cause of the "apocalypse" but the catalyst, correct? I've also read that the anti-Christ will identify as Roman Catholic. I find it pretty interesting but do not see any fact or truth to it.

As an aside, I view the bible as nothing but a historical text and consider myself an agnostic atheist.

• Like 2
pureinheart
Current regime: Racist leaders of racist cultures / societies. South Africa and the American deep south, for example.

They die off (of natural causes) leaving a path open for a NEW regime.

Which, in my dreams, would not embrace and promote racism.

So this would be political then, no?

leavesonautumn

Would you want a world without racism or do you want the world to continue as it does now?

Glinda.Good

I don't care if it's political or not. I am responding to the claim that the quote of Oprah's indicates evil.

It doesn't.

Also, spiritual lives that differ from yours (and the others here who are in the "We're The Only Real Christian" club here) are not necessarily evil.

I bet Jesus loves Oprah. And she probably loves him right back.

• Like 1
Glinda.Good
Would you want a world without racism or do you want the world to continue as it does now?

I'm getting the idea that the great vocal Christians of LoveShack are not in favor of getting rid of racism. Or of wars, either.

Being against racism and war is for Democrats - Satan's party.

Right?

• Like 1
Glinda.Good

In rethinking this:

NO.

Racism is an ethical issue, not a political one.

leavesonautumn
I'm getting the idea that the great vocal Christians of LoveShack are not in favor of getting rid of racism. Or of wars, either.

Being against racism and war is for Democrats - Satan's party.

Right?

From this thread alone, yes, I do agree.

You never said anything about politics. You mentioned the word "regime".

The funny thing about the English language is how words can be interpreted as something that is NOT their official definition. Which is how quite a few of the disagreements start on this forum alone.

The word regime has nothing to do with "politics" per say. It's a system of ruling, a way of the people, if you will. The American government IS racist which is not based on politics or beliefs but ethics. What Glinda and I want has nothing to do with politics. We just hope that one day there is a society that is not based on racism or keeping minorities "in check". It has nothing to do with religion or politics but being decent human beings.

• Like 2
  • Author
Well, that brings new understanding about why so many self professed rabid christians are all about fighting wars! Peace = bad!

Not very Christlike, my brother.

Jesus said:

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ (*Matthew‬ *10‬:*34-36‬ NKJV)

What Jesus meant was that his truth is so piercing and revolutionary that it must necessarily create division, even among the closest bonds of family. How else could it be?

And just to gain some perspective, I'd hardly call this thread a "war" or conflict.

What good is peace and unity when it's at the expense of truth?

Edited by M30USA
pureinheart

Partiality/racism will always exist. In fact I think it will get worse, to the point of almost inhalation (sp?) (which is where my faith comes in and the need for Jesus to return). My definition of partiality/racism is two-fold. I see it in some cases as a deep seated (sp?) hate and in other cases the insatiable need for power.

Again, my faith communicates (Jesus return) that the world can't continue as it does now...thank God.

pureinheart
Partiality/racism will always exist. In fact I think it will get worse, to the point of almost inhalation (sp?) (which is where my faith comes in and the need for Jesus to return). My definition of partiality/racism is two-fold. I see it in some cases as a deep seated (sp?) hate and in other cases the insatiable need for power.

Again, my faith communicates (Jesus return) that the world can't continue as it does now...thank God.

sp- annihilation

leavesonautumn

The issue with Christians quoting the bible or their preacher is that you will never get through to or talk a non-Christian into anything.

I appreciate faith and that people will believe different things but you will not be on the same page as a non-believer if you only quote the bible and do not speak from life experiences or facts.

• Like 2
leavesonautumn
I know more people who talk about how bad racism is than I know actual racists.

You want to learn a little about racism? I used to work in a prison. I have never before seen such racism in my life. A white guy in prison can't use the phone, can't take a shower, and can't hardly leave his cell in many cases, without paying tribute to a black gang member.

Oh, and to say that democrats are against war is hogwash. You want to prove to me that the dems are against war? Then quit putting dems in office who engage in war.

In answer to the OP's question, I would say Oprah has the most influence, or at least she used to. Oprah can recommend a book she has never read and women will fly out in droves to read it.

As a woman, I will disagree. I don't listen to Oprah OR the bible. Don't forget that the world consists of more than just Americans or people who are controlled by the media.

And yes, racism exists whether it makes you feel uncomfortable or not.

• Like 1
  • Author
The issue with Christians quoting the bible or their preacher is that you will never get through to or talk a non-Christian into anything.

I appreciate faith and that people will believe different things but you will not be on the same page as a non-believer if you only quote the bible and do not speak from life experiences or facts.

This is a true statement. Only the Holy Spirit can do this. But people speaking the Word is still necessary because it is a seed. We just need to remember that our job is merely to present info and not change a person's mind--otherwise we are usurping the role of the Holy Spirit.

• Like 1
leavesonautumn
This is a true statement. Only the Holy Spirit can do this. But people speaking the Word is still necessary because it is a seed. We just need to remember that our job is merely to present info and not change a person's mind--otherwise we are usurping the role of the Holy Spirit.

You might be misinterpreting my meaning. Correct me if I'm wrong, I may be assuming here but what I'm saying is that you can't just tell people "this is the word of God! We are planting a seed!" and expect people who are not religious to suddenly go "Oops, you're right!!!"

People who are not religious view religion in a completely different way then religious people.

As a child I believed in God, I prayed to God. As an adult, I do not believe in God. I think belief comes from within. I believe in being a decent human being who treats people with respect but I do not need to believe in an almighty God to feel complete. I think in a different way then my family does (and some of the people on this thread). I love them to pieces but we do not believe the same thing. We don't have any issues and we respect each other. I'm not sure how this thread turned into a political debate but I can tell that your meaning of this thread is to preach. That's awesome for you but not everyone believes the same thing.

However, continue to do you. I respect that.

• Like 2
pureinheart

IMO there's power with the Word of God...this is where I lack and pretty much do what you suggest here.

I'm horrible concerning evangelism, probably the worst, and don't know what to do at times because of hearing some say my anecdotes don't tell the entire story, just a singular view, but having been through so much, sometimes it's all I have. In person it's so much easier because I can get a better "feel" per se of the person. Honestly if a person is hurting, and most usually know where I stand anyway, I'd rather meet that direct need which for me is anecdotal- listening, then saying I understand and have been there.

Being a very opinionated person at the same time...well I try to temper that:o

• Like 1
leavesonautumn
IMO there's power with the Word of God...this is where I lack and pretty much do what you suggest here.

I'm horrible concerning evangelism, probably the worst, and don't know what to do at times because of hearing some say my anecdotes don't tell the entire story, just a singular view, but having been through so much, sometimes it's all I have. In person it's so much easier because I can get a better "feel" per se of the person. Honestly if a person is hurting, and most usually know where I stand anyway, I'd rather meet that direct need which for me is anecdotal- listening, then saying I understand and have been there.

Being a very opinionated person at the same time...well I try to temper that:o

That's great for you. We all need to find power and belief in something but I do not need the word of God to feel complete or to feel anything really.

I think that's where you're going wrong here. I don't need the word of God but it doesn't mean I'm an evil or bad person. What you need to understand is that we believe different things and you don't need to convince anyone of anything.

Hold on to what you love, it's important to you. Doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. I'd never try to convince you of changing your belief, why try to change another person's belief?

UpwardForward
As a woman, I will disagree. I don't listen to Oprah OR the bible. Don't forget that the world consists of more than just Americans or people who are controlled by the media.

And yes, racism exists whether it makes you feel uncomfortable or not.

I have heard of people w/o limbs who have more inner strength & substance than those who cry 'racism'.

It's really getting tiring.

One wonders how much more advanced all would be if they didn't have organizations as the 'ACLU' (and govt) to fall back on - and telling them they are inferior and need protection.

UpwardForward
That's great for you. We all need to find power and belief in something but I do not need the word of God to feel complete or to feel anything really.

I think that's where you're going wrong here. I don't need the word of God but it doesn't mean I'm an evil or bad person. What you need to understand is that we believe different things and you don't need to convince anyone of anything.

Hold on to what you love, it's important to you. Doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. I'd never try to convince you of changing your belief, why try to change another person's belief?

If you're ever in real trouble (as I was), reach out to God - or at least a Christian to lead the way to Him. I was there.

pureinheart
I don't care if it's political or not. I am responding to the claim that the quote of Oprah's indicates evil.

It doesn't.

Also, spiritual lives that differ from yours (and the others here who are in the "We're The Only Real Christian" club here) are not necessarily evil.

I bet Jesus loves Oprah. And she probably loves him right back.

Glinda, I saw hate in her, the hate she claims to "hate"...it's just my perception. I don't believe I ever said "evil".

I feel like you're picking out what you want to perceive. I specifically communicated that I can't judge her, I believe her to be in a very bad direction.

Right now I'm disappointed with her, well hurt and angry...this IS my bad and it probably shows in my communication. For that I apologize to you and her...reason being, I am in error here because I should not look to any man. AND I have NO room to talk being the most imperfect Christian you'll ever see...the big difference here is I'm not on national tv day after day and definitely don't have the influence she has. This is not to negate my disdain for the New Age Movement though.