Oprah or Bible: Which has more influence on women?

leavesonautumn

I'd suggest that you watch or research news outside of America.

However, I know that you won't so there's no use in me pointing you to alternative news to FOX.

leavesonautumn
If you're ever in real trouble (as I was), reach out to God - or at least a Christian to lead the way to Him. I was there.

Did I tell you that you're wrong in your belief? I'd appreciate if you didn't tell me that I am in mine.

UpwardForward
Did I tell you that you're wrong in your belief? I'd appreciate if you didn't tell me that I am in mine.

You must be searching or you wouldn't be hanging out at the 'Religious' forum..

As I've said, I have been where you are.

pureinheart
That's great for you. We all need to find power and belief in something but I do not need the word of God to feel complete or to feel anything really.

I think that's where you're going wrong here. I don't need the word of God but it doesn't mean I'm an evil or bad person. What you need to understand is that we believe different things and you don't need to convince anyone of anything.

Hold on to what you love, it's important to you. Doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. I'd never try to convince you of changing your belief, why try to change another person's belief?

Actually I'm not trying to change you (or anyone) and if any of my communication dictates otherwise, then for that my apologies. I am opinionated though and this is a discussion forum so...

I don't believe I said you were bad nor evil, it's just not me. To call a practice or behavior bad or evil is again an opinion and not directed at you.

...please know I do understand what you are saying and do take that into consideration...this is a discussion though, how can one get away from communicating their views?

• Like 2
leavesonautumn
You must be searching or you wouldn't be hanging out at the 'Religion' topic.

As I've said, I have been where you are.

Have you been where I am?

Mind telling me my life story and experiences?

Spirituality is not directly connected to Religion. I came into this topic with my own free will and I have nothing against the OP, I've commented on a few of his/her posts. This thread came up in "New Posts", I did not go specifically into a "Spiritualist & Religious Beliefs". Again, I have the free will to read what I wish to read. Thanks.

• Like 1
pureinheart
I'd suggest that you watch or research news outside of America.

However, I know that you won't so there's no use in me pointing you to alternative news to FOX.

I definitely won't apologize for watching Fox, although how do you know that is the only publication I view?

My opinion of Oprah came from her, from watching her for MANY years, hearing certain things for myself from her mouth...tell me, how could Fox change that...or any other publication?

UpwardForward

. ...this is a discussion though, how can one get away from communicating their views?

Exactly. ..

leavesonautumn
Actually I'm not trying to change you (or anyone) and if any of my communication dictates otherwise, then for that my apologies. I am opinionated though and this is a discussion forum so...

I don't believe I said you were bad nor evil, it's just not me. To call a practice or behavior bad or evil is again an opinion and not directed at you.

...please know I do understand what you are saying and do take that into consideration...this is a discussion though, how can one get away from communicating their views?

I do appreciate different views. I just struggle with why people seem to make it their goal in life to convert as many people as possible (not saying that you are).

My Nona and Grandpa are the most religious people I've known in my entire life. They're wonderful people, they pray into the night but never once in my entire life did they ever try to shame me or make me feel bad for what I believe in or say that one day I'll change my mind. They loved me unconditionally so why would a stranger on the internet think they can change what I believe?

This isn't directed specifically at you, just my general view of some of these threads.

Like I said, continue to do you. Especially if it's important to you. I respect people who stick to what they believe as long as they don't try to change others along the way.

• Like 1
leavesonautumn
I definitely won't apologize for watching Fox, although how do you know that is the only publication I view?

My opinion of Oprah came from her, from watching her for MANY years, hearing certain things for myself from her mouth...tell me, how could Fox change that...or any other publication?

That comment was not directed at you but UpwardForward.

leavesonautumn
Yes. Self righteous and a feeling of being in control.

We're on a different page. You won't convince me of anything, sorry. Don't know why my belief is so important to you.

pureinheart
I know more people who talk about how bad racism is than I know actual racists.

You want to learn a little about racism? I used to work in a prison. I have never before seen such racism in my life. A white guy in prison can't use the phone, can't take a shower, and can't hardly leave his cell in many cases, without paying tribute to a black gang member.

Oh, and to say that democrats are against war is hogwash. You want to prove to me that the dems are against war? Then quit putting dems in office who engage in war.

In answer to the OP's question, I would say Oprah has the most influence, or at least she used to. Oprah can recommend a book she has never read and women will fly out in droves to read it.

Oh wow, you worked in a prison...well you know the politics of it also then...it's a trip. My experience is from the other side though having many friends (emphasis on many) and family reside there. Prison is ALL about race...I'd say mostly males.

It's a proven fact Dems are VERY much engaged in war...

dreamingoftigers
Please tell me more about my perceptions, as a non-Christian, about the bible and the anti-Christ.

From what I was taught growing up as a Roman Catholic, the anti-Christ is a figure who society as a whole likes and can "get behind". They're not necessarily the cause of the "apocalypse" but the catalyst, correct? I've also read that the anti-Christ will identify as Roman Catholic. I find it pretty interesting but do not see any fact or truth to it.

As an aside, I view the bible as nothing but a historical text and consider myself an agnostic atheist.

Interesting.

I grew up Catholic as well.

In fact I graduated from BCHS.

And I was an athiest before I converted.

LOL, Calgary thing?

dreamingoftigers
As a woman, I will disagree. I don't listen to Oprah OR the bible. Don't forget that the world consists of more than just Americans or people who are controlled by the media.

And yes, racism exists whether it makes you feel uncomfortable or not.

It does kind of present itself as a closed question, doesn't it?

Like women must be influenced by the Bible or Oprah.

My best friend is a Somali Muslim. I don't think she feels much personal reach from either.

And she's awesome.

• Like 2
Interesting.

LOL, Calgary thing?

What made you convert to Mormonism? Having had some exposure to Catholicism, do you agree that there are some major differences between the two beliefs and perceptions of who Jesus is, how heaven works, and other things?

leavesonautumn
Interesting.

LOL, Calgary thing?

The Catholic church was terrifying to me and was the catalyst of becoming atheist. The secondary and main reason was my interest in history.

When did you convert to Mormonism? Was it for marriage or personal choice? I'm genuinely curious, you don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable :). A good friend of mine who was Christian asked me if Catholics read the entire bible because her preacher told her that they don't. I just find it fascinating considering most religions are based on the same fundamentals.

I've only been back in Calgary for about 7 years, didn't grow up here :/. Actually grew up in the NWT but prefer Alberta overall :D.

leavesonautumn
I served some time myself...as a corrections officer lol. I know the politics inside very well. Even the families of inmates know only so much. Usually the inmates tell their families something entirely different than what the reality is on the inside. I worked there when Obama was first elected and that place was running wild with a bunch of VERY racist democrats. Fear is being a white guy in prison on a non violent drug offense and having your life threatened almost daily by gangs who love beating up white guys.

My point is that racism goes both ways, and the self righteous democrats have quite a few racists among their ranks, which is why I believe they are so quick to call everyone else a racist. Not only this, but racism has been around forever...it's not going away. To think racism will die anytime soon is your typical unrealistic liberal thinking.

We have been engaging in acts of war the entire time Obama has been in office. Actions speak louder than words.

As for Oprah, that woman has some serious influence. She can make or break a career.

Obama went into office with America already engaged in a war that started with Bush being President. Mind expanding on this thought?

The world is not made of democrats and non-democrats. Don't forget that there are people who do not live in America on this forum.

Do you believe that racism is a necessity? Show me proof of Caucasians suffering from racism on a wide scale please.

Edited by leavesonautumn
dreamingoftigers
You might be misinterpreting my meaning. Correct me if I'm wrong, I may be assuming here but what I'm saying is that you can't just tell people "this is the word of God! We are planting a seed!" and expect people who are not religious to suddenly go "Oops, you're right!!!"

People who are not religious view religion in a completely different way then religious people.

As a child I believed in God, I prayed to God. As an adult, I do not believe in God. I think belief comes from within. I believe in being a decent human being who treats people with respect but I do not need to believe in an almighty God to feel complete. I think in a different way then my family does (and some of the people on this thread). I love them to pieces but we do not believe the same thing. We don't have any issues and we respect each other. I'm not sure how this thread turned into a political debate but I can tell that your meaning of this thread is to preach. That's awesome for you but not everyone believes the same thing.

However, continue to do you. I respect that.

My father is a Catholic. My mother is an Athiest. I explored a bunch of different options before giving up on all of it a deigning it "mythical and historic." Or a coping skill for those who need comfort" and " if there was a loving God, then why.....etc etc etc".

I am not actually going to give context for my reasons for converting it actually takes HOURS to explain and is largely based on academic findings in combination with being lead by prayer. In fact, I actually think that I am so stubborn that I wasn't one of those who were "blessed for believing and having not seen."

I will say this though: I believe that faith is an entirely personal journey. Not something to be shamed and scrutinized into. Science etc. Is an observable, quantifiable academic and reproduceable journey. But faith is something you can't throw down on a spreadsheet and give to someone and then "they have the same data you do." Faith or lack thereof is too personal for that. Although the 6000 year thing is ridiculous. It isn't even biblical. I hate it when any faith confuses it's cultural belief for the actual tenet of the faith.

But I more than hear you. I have said the same for years. People of faith, no matter what faith need to consider their audience first before going off on a self-righteous tangent. In fact, it makes their message COMPLETELY self-serving.

Trying to convert people using blocks of scripture to "prove" truth is useless. "This book is true because it says it is" may appeal to people who are loaning out their bank accounts to that poor Nigerian Prince, but not many others.

The way so many people preach is more divisive amd condemning than helpful. Christ did bring down a sword. But I highly doubt he meant for any of us to go around stabbing strangers in the street or door-to-door with it.

Approaching people with interest and learning about whobthey are should be more important than trying to hammer your personal agenda into them. And I've experienced that a lot.

I also think it's hypocrisy to preach about "loving one's neighbour" when not accepting they might have a different viewpoint.

How much good Christ-like loving is Oprah getting on this thread. (Those who had their Ninja Turtles interrupted as children are exempted).

Weirdly enough with my family dynamic: again Dad Catholic. Mom athiest. Me Mormon.......its the ONLY argument we NEVER HAVE.

It's a personal choice and a non-issue.

My best friend and I never to try push one anothers faith on each other. We talk about them and ask Qs. But we are friends thst love each other. I don't condemn her during Ramadan. What kind of love would that be?

• Like 1
Glinda.Good
Jesus said:

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ (*Matthew‬ *10‬:*34-36‬ NKJV)

Jesus also said stuff like:

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

(John 16:33 KJV)

It's easy to find a bible quote to bolster any argument a person could have.

And just to gain some perspective, I'd hardly call this thread a "war" or conflict.

Neither would I. A discussion launched with a sexist insult and carried forth with prideful displays of biblical expertise is doomed, though.

What good is peace and unity when it's at the expense of truth?

Don't know what you're talking about there. Who are you to determine what is "truth"?

M30USA, I think it would be refreshing if you'd step off your pulpit for good and talk about your own human foibles, and how you are begging for mercy in light of their gravity - rather than constantly pontificating. Remember:

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

(Matthew 7.5 NIV)

leavesonautumn
My father is a Catholic. My mother is an Athiest. I explored a bunch of different options before giving up on all of it a deigning it "mythical and historic." Or a coping skill for those who need comfort" and " if there was a loving God, then why.....etc etc etc".

I am not actually going to give context for my reasons for converting it actually takes HOURS to explain and is largely based on academic findings in combination with being lead by prayer. In fact, I actually think that I am so stubborn that I wasn't one of those who were "blessed for believing and having not seen."

I will say this though: I believe that faith is an entirely personal journey. Not something to be shamed and scrutinized into. Science etc. Is an observable, quantifiable academic and reproduceable journey. But faith is something you can't throw down on a spreadsheet and give to someone and then "they have the same data you do." Faith or lack thereof is too personal for that. Although the 6000 year thing is ridiculous. It isn't even biblical. I hate it when any faith confuses it's cultural belief for the actual tenet of the faith.

But I more than hear you. I have said the same for years. People of faith, no matter what faith need to consider their audience first before going off on a self-righteous tangent. In fact, it makes their message COMPLETELY self-serving.

Trying to convert people using blocks of scripture to "prove" truth is useless. "This book is true because it says it is" may appeal to people who are loaning out their bank accounts to that poor Nigerian Prince, but not many others.

The way so many people preach is more divisive amd condemning than helpful. Christ did bring down a sword. But I highly doubt he meant for any of us to go around stabbing strangers in the street or door-to-door with it.

Approaching people with interest and learning about whobthey are should be more important than trying to hammer your personal agenda into them. And I've experienced that a lot.

I also think it's hypocrisy to preach about "loving one's neighbour" when not accepting they might have a different viewpoint.

How much good Christ-like loving is Oprah getting on this thread. (Those who had their Ninja Turtles interrupted as children are exempted).

Weirdly enough with my family dynamic: again Dad Catholic. Mom athiest. Me Mormon.......its the ONLY argument we NEVER HAVE.

It's a personal choice and a non-issue.

My best friend and I never to try push one anothers faith on each other. We talk about them and ask Qs. But we are friends thst love each other. I don't condemn her during Ramadan. What kind of love would that be?

This was a great read and actually quite comforting. :o

• Like 2
dreamingoftigers
What made you convert to Mormonism? Having had some exposure to Catholicism, do you agree that there are some major differences between the two beliefs and perceptions of who Jesus is, how heaven works, and other things?

Well, now we're getting into a talk on "degrees of difference" which is hard to quantify with faith.

Overall I find the generalities to be similar, the execution to be very different Catholicism more condemning and worldly. Mormonism to be more hopeful and accepting but as well more of a chance to get on track and learn from life experience.

It's actually a bit harder to compare "Catholic afterlife" to "Mormon afterlife."

That's not a late-night post for me. :)

My conversion to Mormonism was a very long journey. Long story very very short: Holy Spirit after much resistance and every academic argument and then some refuted with some extra doses of more factual evidence from DISTINCTLY NON-CHURCH sources. I wouldn't have ever accepted the old "this church or book is true because it says it is" stance.

I have only gotten 2/3 of the way through my conversion story with my husband.

Although some of that is because I lack the capacity to shut up.

• Like 2
  • Author
Jesus also said stuff like:

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

(John 16:33 KJV)

It's easy to find a bible quote to bolster any argument a person could have.

Neither would I. A discussion launched with a sexist insult and carried forth with prideful displays of biblical expertise is doomed, though.

Don't know what you're talking about there. Who are you to determine what is "truth"?

M30USA, I think it would be refreshing if you'd step off your pulpit for good and talk about your own human foibles, and how you are begging for mercy in light of their gravity - rather than constantly pontificating. Remember:

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

(Matthew 7.5 NIV)

Whose sin am I judging? I've only ever discussed doctrine. Osteen? Oprah? Nope. I've exclusively made comments about their doctrine and NOTHING else. (Except maybe Osteen's shiny teeth, lol.) So this being the case I'm not guilty of hypocrisy--at least not on these forums.

It's actually a bit harder to compare "Catholic afterlife" to "Mormon afterlife."

That's not a late-night post for me. :)

My conversion to Mormonism was a very long journey....I have only gotten 2/3 of the way through my conversion story with my husband.

Although some of that is because I lack the capacity to shut up.

lol :D

No worries. It's late, and the thread is getting more and more off-topic. :o We'll clear up the Mormon vs. Christianity debate another day (heehee :p)

• Like 1
Glinda.Good
I know more people who talk about how bad racism is than I know actual racists.

Good for you.

You want to learn a little about racism? I used to work in a prison. I have never before seen such racism in my life. A white guy in prison can't use the phone, can't take a shower, and can't hardly leave his cell in many cases, without paying tribute to a black gang member.

Please. White supremacists have plenty of sway in prisons as well.

It's pretty useless for you to say "You want to learn a little about" whatever, and then go on to share your personal bias. You're entitled to hold onto that, but nobody is going to be getting their learning about racism from such nonsense.

You have no idea who we are here, and how much we actually KNOW about racism.

Oh, and to say that democrats are against war is hogwash. You want to prove to me that the dems are against war?

I don't think you even read this thread. Did anybody say that Democrats are against war?

There are some statements here that give me the impression that the "religious right" (surely not democrats) are against world peace, because it is the work of the antichrist.

Oprah can recommend a book she has never read and women will fly out in droves to read it.

Does Oprah actually recommend books she never read? She does recommend good ones, in any case. But I prefer to read the New York Times book reviews for tips, or take the advice of my friends.

How do you decide what to read?

Whose sin am I judging?

In your opinion, is there any possibility that you judged (i.e. looked down on) women as a whole group when you implied that the majority of women are primarily influenced by Oprah rather than the word of God?

• Like 2