So what religions are we all?

All religion seems similar, besides some superficial stuff. I wish people would just stop bickering over it all the time.

RecordProducer
All religion seems similar, besides some superficial stuff. I wish people would just stop bickering over it all the time.
All except Islam! :D In reality the religious Muslims live a different lifestyle from the religious Buddhists or Christians or Jews. ;)
All except Islam! :D In reality the religious Muslims live a different lifestyle from the religious Buddhists or Christians or Jews. ;)

Hmm, interesting, please educate me (no sarcasm intended).

Although I feel that in any religion, you can interpret the text/sermon/whatever in a lot of different ways, so you can pretty much make yourself comfortable however you go (besides some minor customs).

The original poster simply asked what religion members belonged to. (If you don't remember, go back and look at it.) Now we're getting into a debate about Jewish genes and what religions are similar to or different from others. Those are excellent topics but they are off topic here.

Please get back on the original topic. If you happen to be ambitious, start a new thread about one of these subtopics and have a whole new discussion...and keep it on topic.

If this thread keeps veering off topic we'll have to shut it down.

• Author
ThePennyDrops

I don't mind, in fact, I was rather hoping to start discussions/debates...

What happened to the jokey posts about my screen name...

I don't mind, in fact, I was rather hoping to start discussions/debates...

What happened to the jokey posts about my screen name...

I believe it was very rude and has been removed.

I'm very interested in Buddhism. I'm not quite ready to say I'm Buddhist because there are still some things I'm not sure about, but I'm very interested in it.

I'm Bud Lite.

And no, Buddhism isn't a religion. It's more of a Path.

I wish my mum was Jewish - then I'd get fed properly :p

LOL, I'm an atheist with nor religion at all, I just don't find what makes sense with falling people's rules and their writings. Afterall rules aren't permanent, they can be broken.

Just because they've spread all over the world and have different passports doesn't make their genes different. Actually scientists have found a certain gene that Jews have and not other groups.

Nah I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was saying you didn't know what you were talking about. I just think that there is a genetic difference between different groups of Jews, for example Eastern European and Israeli Jews have different genes. Either way it's just what I though, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

RecordProducer
I just think that there is a genetic difference between different groups of Jews, for example Eastern European and Israeli Jews have different genes.

Right! Probably because they are mixed with others. Anyway... who knows what had been goiong on really and who made kids with whom! :laugh:

Tony, you're trying to take all the spice away from this board. This is a forum for exchanging opinions, not math formulas.

If I say "My religion" is Cucumber", people have a right to tell me that a cucumber is a vegetable, not a religion. I answered that my religion would be Jewish, but I see it as a nation/cluture, not religion and I am not religious.

Do I have a right to say what I think if I am not hurting anyone and stay on the subject which is RELIGION? Or do we have to simplify this forum and make it a bore? We should answer with one word, right?

"Catholic"

"Protestant"

"Jewish"

"Muslim"

The last thing we need on this forum is "cops" ruining our fun all the time. :rolleyes:

I belong to the church of the rising Poptart. :)

I like it! Sign me up! :)

I was raised in a Congregational church, which is part of the United Church of Christ. It is basically a mainstream, liberal, protestant christian church.

But now I consider myself to be a Taoist more than anything. However I can't say I'm actually "practicing."

I believe in that which is common to all world religions. When asked if I believe in "God" I say yes, but my concept of god is not the stereotypical judeo/christian/muslim god. More like the taoist/buddist/zen version of "god" which would be called "the tao", "budda," or even "chi"

I'm an atheist, humanist, and naturalist. My church is the Unitarian Universalist. It rocks

I went to a few of their services. If I had a family and kids, I would probably attend and send my kids to the sunday school there, simply because they would get a well rounded education about a lot of different religions this way and it would be a place of more open discussion and exploration. Either that or I would just educate my kids in all world religions myself, and then when they are old enough they can find their own spiritual path. They'll probably turn into fundamentalist born again christians. :sick:

But the Unitarian Universalist church itself seemed a little too gay for my tastes. I was hit on in the coffee hour after the service by a guy once or twice. Lots of gay men and lesbians. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd rather go to a church where homosexuality isn't such a dominating undercurrent, from the minister all the way down through what seemed like 50% or more of the congregation.

Born and raised Roman Catholic. Though I tend to consider myself a bit more on the liberal side of Catholicism.

• 1 month later...
My Fair Katie

I'm an atheist.

If you ask my parents I'm a no good godless heathen.

If you ask my inlaws I'm upgraded to the wh--e of babylon for taking their precious baby boy away from the Catholic Church (I did not).

I'm an atheist.

If you ask my parents I'm a no good godless heathen.

If you ask my inlaws I'm upgraded to the wh--e of babylon for taking their precious baby boy away from the Catholic Church (I did not).

I don't know... that last one sounds about right.

the great whore that sitteth upon many waters: with whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

You're certainly intoxicating. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

• 3 weeks later...

I was raised Catholic, but have fallen away. I've settled quit nicely on Asatru, been heathen for three or more years now and have never looked back.

coco_milkshake

Im Sikh and the only one in LS so far lol. I aint religious but my parents are and they get pissed off with me for not praying or going to the Gurdwara on Sundays.

Personally I feel that if I was to do it then I should want to do it not do it just for the sake of it - thats insulting it is it not??

Im Sikh and the only one in LS so far lol. I aint religious but my parents are and they get pissed off with me for not praying or going to the Gurdwara on Sundays.

Personally I feel that if I was to do it then I should want to do it not do it just for the sake of it - thats insulting it is it not??

I'm not sure what the laws are where you are at, but we have freedom of religion here. Knowone can force anyone to believe and follow a certain faith and/or religion, but than again these are your parents that you are referring to. To them its insulting, but in reality, it is not.

coco_milkshake

Hehe yeah thats true Riddler. But like you said, this is my parents we are talking about here - my mum gets pissed off when I say I am Scottish rather than Indian.

We have so much freedom we could worship pencils :laugh:.

I think that you should do you what you believe and I think that when the time is right if you haven't already you should move out BIG TIME!

Your parents should accept you for who you are and in time they'll get over the idea of you calling yourself scottish. Shoot I am too but I call myself a Romanian cause I have more of that in me.

Roman Catholic. Mostly taught the old ways--pre-vatican II .

My heart is in the right place--my life is not.