So what religions are we all?

laRubiaBonita
Well all I can think of is to say liberal catholic since my catholic mother is close friends with homosexuals and is openminded to other stuff like sex before marriage and birth control.

Yet she still insisted on dragging to church EVERY week, no matter what.

soooo she's lutheran?

soooo she's lutheran?

Hah. I like that.

Though honestly, despite going to catholic classes for years, I never knew things like birth control were taboo, or what many of the differences between catholicism and other christian religions were until I was into college.

Bad study I guess. :)

My mom was raised buddhist. My dad was half jewish, but raised agnostic, and one day walking home from school, around age 11 or 12, he got baptized baptist for ****s and giggles. But never practiced.

They baptized me catholic, I have no idea why. But I went to temple growing up. I was taught that all paths to spiritualism are valid, because all go to the same end.

I believe in God, but I follow a more buddhist personal philosophy and I do not believe that God can save me. My actions are the ground on which I stand, and my actions are the only thing that has the power to save or damn me.

They baptized me catholic, I have no idea why.

My ex's parents baptized at the closed christian church (literally). There were like 3 different religions represented in the family, though no one practiced. :lmao:

i am now convinced that all organised religion is, by its very nature, fatally flawed.

agreed....i myself am agnostic.

Well all I can think of is to say liberal catholic since my catholic mother is close friends with homosexuals and is openminded to other stuff like sex before marriage and birth control.

according to the Papal definition then she's not a Catholic. and I guess he runs the show.

according to the Papal definition then she's not a Catholic. and I guess he runs the show.

I'll make sure to tell him then.

"Guess what mom? I got you excommunicated!!!" :lmao:

My family supposedly has a religion, but I wasn't raised in it except to go to church for Christmas, Easter, christenings and weddings.

In any case, I'm not at all religious. All religious teachings to me are mythology, much like the Egyptian, Norse, Greek, and Roman.

In any case, I'm not at all religious. All religious teachings to me are mythology, much like the Egyptian, Norse, Greek, and Roman.

what about buddhism? there is no creation story. do you consider this to be mythology as well?

granted some theologians argue that buddhism isn't even really a religion because it lacks a God or a creation story, and some refer to it more as a philosophical approach to life....

just curious, not trying to start an argument.

granted some theologians argue that buddhism isn't even really a religion because it lacks a God or a creation story, and some refer to it more as a philosophical approach to life.....

so what? your "religion" teaches what you want it to teach. no outside party can define your beliefs as far as i'm concerned.

what about buddhism? there is no creation story. do you consider this to be mythology as well?

granted some theologians argue that buddhism isn't even really a religion because it lacks a God or a creation story, and some refer to it more as a philosophical approach to life....

just curious, not trying to start an argument.

I don't know enough about Buddhism to really be able to answer that. :o

If there's a God at the end of the road waiting to judge me, even if I don't worship him or follow his teachings, I intend to be able to hold my head high.

that's prolly something everyone can embrace …

if you're baptized into the Catholic faith, you're Catholic until Rome excommunicates you. You can backslide, you can embrace views that oppose the church, but until that document gets sent to you, you're Catholic. From what I understand, the Church gives many opportunities to repent and reconcile with her, you've got to be pretty staunchly in-your-face opposed to what she teaches AND be vocal about it before you get tossed out.

so what? your "religion" teaches what you want it to teach. no outside party can define your beliefs as far as i'm concerned.

Well I think that was more of a classification issue than anything else. I mean, you know how people like to group things together and label them. :p

you sound like my dad in this comment (that is a compliment)...:)

burning 4 revenge
I thought the last "liberal catholic" was ex-communicated in 1977.

there are many liberal catholics.

john kerry and ted kennedy to name two prominent ones.

i consider myself a catholic and i also consider myself an atheist. being catholic is also part of a cultural identity, like being a jew.

it's like it's a major part of my personality and i wouldn't be the same if i hadn't been raised the way i was.

i was raised catholic by a catholic mother and a father who refused to become one.

i am now convinced that all organised religion is, by its very nature, fatally flawed.

I haven't been religious since I graduated from "Our Lady of the Worthless Miracle"!

I am a man of science, and being so I believe that of which is based on evidence. For me, divine intervention does not work in a universe that is based on mathematical laws and physics. Now, If I were living in a subatomic universe I'd be willing to believe anything anyone told me.

:)

I am a man of science' date=' and being so I believe that of which is based on evidence. For me, divine intervention does not work in a universe that is based on mathematical laws and physics. Now, If I were living in a subatomic universe I'd be willing to believe anything anyone told me.[/quote']

Amen brother! I believe we have found some common ground...:)

you sound like my dad in this comment (that is a compliment)...:)

:laugh:

I'm culturally/ethnically Catholic, if that makes any sense but religion has never been a part of my life and i consider myself atheist.

RecordProducer

Shoot me but I see Jewish as nationality (unless you have converted) and I don't care who says what. Jews carry certain genes, just like Arabs or Slavic nations do.

Religions are blurry air - anyone can convert and now they are this or that religion.

I am an atheist. No one in my family has ever been religious or celebrated any holidays. I like the holidays cuz of the food, but hey, spare me the religious approach. :laugh:

I am 1/4 Jewish, 3/4 atheist.:lmao:

Alpha, no one emphasizes their religion more than Christians and esepcially Catholic Christians. In Islam it's all about religion. Buddhism is a very peaceful religion. :)

I'm Cathoholic. Does that count for anything?

Prolly not. It's off topic. :laugh:

Carry on.

A catholic girl huh? For some reason I had a hunch that you were.:laugh:

Shoot me but I see Jewish as nationality (unless you have converted) and I don't care who says what. Jews carry certain genes, just like Arabs or Slavic nations do.

People of Jewish fate actually come from many nationalities

RecordProducer
People of Jewish fate actually come from many nationalities
Fate! Right, for the Jews it was more fate than faith! :D

Allina, your comment assumes that I am completely ignorant and don't know what I am talking about. :laugh:

I meant nation! Nation, like Chinese or Russian, etc. Jews have existed for over 5,000 years. People didn't really convert to Jews cuz they were f*cked through most of their history. :laugh::(:mad:

Just because they've spread all over the world and have different passports doesn't make their genes different. Actually scientists have found a certain gene that Jews have and not other groups.

Nationality, religion, citizenships, territory... it's things that people have created and put limits and boundaries on. Sure, Judaism can be merely a religion if your ancestors have converted, but why would anyone convert if they are not mixed and don't intend to combine Jewish genes? ;)