What am I doing wrong when it comes to exercising?

Interstellar
On 5/28/2021 at 11:18 PM, ironpony said:

Oh okay, but if I have to use my legs, are there any types of machines I can get where the legs do not have to slam into the ground like running, which is causing the knees to be sore?

I've beend doing that as well, but I still feel out of shape, after use to exercising so still want the cardio workout, since it felt good before, if possible.

if your gym has a concept 2 rower or skierg, or other rowers that’s very low impact and it really gives your entire body a full metabolic burn, climbing machine, jacob’s ladder, stairmaster, airdyne bike...or just walk for 30,45, etc...just find your threshold. something that’s also fun for you.

you can try intermittent fasting, for one day and see how you feel, if it’s not for you there’s also 500 calories or less per meal 6 times a day, carnivore diet, counting calories, etc..

psychological remapping when you’re trying to turn bad habits into good ones ie. being consistent with exercising and nutrition to find what’s works for you takes time so you need to be patient and smart with this. lasting change isn’t gonna happen overnight. the pyramids wasn’t built in one day. it took years to set a solid, strong foundation. take it day by day. 

Edited by Interstellar
  • Author

Okay sure, I can try that.  Thanks.  I guess the thing I find frustrating about wanting to exercise the heart and cardio is that, I do not understand why, outside of running, the heart is so hard to exercise.  Do I just have an unusually strong one perhaps, which is why it's such a challenge?  No one can seem to tell me what the problem is it seems.  

@ironpony Asking advice on the internet is not nearly as effective as getting a fitness professional.  We can't tell you what's going wrong because we can't see what you're doing, how you're doing it and we can't measure your heart rate.   But my guess is that you're simply not working hard enough to raise your get your heart going.  I can swim laps gently and not raise my heart rate.  Or I can swim long and hard and really get my heart pumping.   Same with weight training - low weights, used badly will not raise my heart rate, but challenging weights used well will have me sweating and puffing.

A personal trainer will have it sorted in no time.  If cost is an issue, you can hire them for just one session so that they can design a program for you.

• Author

Well my arms and my legs get too tired before the heart can get going.  The arms and legs are getting worked out great.  I went biking for an hour yesterday for example, and my legs are feeling pretty worked out.  But the heart hardly got up.

Every thing I am told to to do exercise wise to get the heart going involves having to exercise the arms or legs, but there seems to be a disconnect from the legs and arms to the heart, and therefore, it's not working.  I cannot figure out that what that disconnect is.

I know that back when I went running for two hours a day give or take, the heart rate went high and was exercised really well.  So there is something different with jogging compared to everything else I try.  I am trying to figure out the distinction or the exception to the rule there, and how to get around that exception.

I thought maybe something online or a book could tell me before hiring a personal trainer.  I mean why is this informaton so secret that only personal trainers know it...

If you are getting injuries it's too much or improperly done.

Take up a sport. It's more fun. Has nothing to do with Covid restrictions.

Plenty of sports are no contact. Golf, tennis, horseback riding, some marital arts such as Tai chi, etc.

Most of these things have classes, instructors, etc.

If dealing with insomnia and stress are part of the goal here, this might be an overall better physiological and psychological solution.

• Author

Oh okay, it's just that sports usually rely on having other people to help play them though, where as if I can do something by myself, I wouldn't have to rely on others to come through.  I take martial arts, but it doesn't really get the heart up that much cardio wise.

I would have to fight like they do in a kung fu movie to get it up as high as I did, when I ran for longer amounts of time.

As I said above, you don't have to rely on the personal trainer to be there each time.  You can have them set up a program for you to do independently.  

• Author

Okay thanks.  I also want to go to my doctor about it but it's been hard to get in and he's booked up a lot lately.  Should I go to a med-clinic to information on this since they are open at more convenient hours and you don't need an appointment, or are medi-clinics not going to help with this, and they are for bigger problems?

Dude, just see the personal trainer.  There's probably nothing wrong with you other than not knowing how to train effectively. 

• Like 1
  • Author

I haven't been able to set an appointment because been busy with work a lot lately, but I will.  I was also wondering, it was said before on here that if I do not want to put on weight, I should not eat for about 4-5 hours before I go to bed.  But when I got home from work, I am hungry for a meal but I have to be in bed 3 hours after that, if I want to try to get enough sleep for work the next morning.

How do other poeople do it where they give themselves 4-5 hours in between sleep and their supper meal, without having to stay up late and loose sleep?

• Author

I've been having smaller dinners then lunches, but I can try to go smaller even more so maybe.

Ok, eating earlier is not going to solve 20lbs.  You're going to have to go on a calorie reduced diet.  There are many, many options so you will have to research and see what kind will suit you best.   Or, you may find that it takes a few different programs to find what works for you.

• Author

Oh okay.  I gained the 20 pounds since I started a new job, after being out of work because of covid.  When I was not working, I didn't eat breakfast and only had two meals a day.  But because of this new job, being a physical job that makes me hungry in the mornings, I started eating breakfast again and the weight got put back on.  I could go back to only two meals a day, but then I will be hungry for the first five hours of work, per shift then.  Unless that's the price to pay?

14 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay.  I gained the 20 pounds since I started a new job, after being out of work because of covid.  When I was not working, I didn't eat breakfast and only had two meals a day.  But because of this new job, being a physical job that makes me hungry in the mornings, I started eating breakfast again and the weight got put back on.  I could go back to only two meals a day, but then I will be hungry for the first five hours of work, per shift then.  Unless that's the price to pay?

Again, there are many weight loss options - not just skipping meals. So do some research on what would suit your lifestyle best.  

Edited by basil67
  • Author

Okay thanks, I will do that.  Since it was pointed out that I should not eat a meal 4 to 5 hours before I got to bed, does this mean that me going to bed about three hours after dinner is not normal?

Lots of people go to bed soon after eating dinner.  It may not be ideal, but it's far from abnormal. 

2 hours ago, ironpony said:

I could lose about 20 pounds ideally around.

Go by your waist size. Lean body mass weighs more.

• Like 1
  • Author
11 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Go by your waist size. Lean body mass weighs more.

How do I tell much weight I need to loose in my waist size though?

9 minutes ago, ironpony said:

How do I tell much weight I need to loose in my waist size though?

What's your waist size? Is your gut hanging over the belt? That's a good indicator