What am I doing wrong when it comes to exercising?

1 minute ago, ironpony said:

No I don't.  I can get one, but wasn't sure where to look.  I can look.

Google

• Author

Well there is a bodybuilder I know who one some contests so maybe he would know more about that and could help me, or is that not the right type of person to talk to about it.

I wouldn't bother with some of those contraptions advertised on TV.

Are you doing push-ups and sit-ups?

15 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Well there is a bodybuilder I know who one some contests so maybe he would know more about that and could help me, or is that not the right type of person to talk to about it.

You want cardio, not bodybuilding.   As I said earlier, get a personal trainer or speak to your primary care physician.  

• Author

Okay, I can do that.  Thanks.  I just don't understand why my heart is not getting a work out even though I try the machines recommended to me online.  I mean is my heart really strong that I need a machine so tough that only Olympic champions would use it, and my heart is that good?  Or do I not understand why I can't get the heart burning.

Edited by ironpony
9 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay thanks.  If I were to be getting good cardio, what should the heart rate be at when my legs are burning?

It's a function of your age & weight.  Google target heart rate exercise & put in your info. 

• Like 1

If you haven’t been measuring your heart rate, how do you know it’s not working? 🤷🏽‍♀️ 

Your lack of understanding of basic physiology and your insistence on turning to LS for help with getting your heart to “burn” is going to cause you to have a heart attack. 

You really should learn to read more. A bodybuilder can help you build muscle. Are you trying to hold muscle?

• Like 3
  • Author

Because I don't feel it working.  Cardio exercise should cause me to feel a burn in my heart and cause me to breath harder and feel the burn there.  I am not feeling it.  No I am not trying told muscle but cardio more.  The bodybuilder does do cardio he says too though, so I thought he would know.

And I did feel the burn in my heart when I was jogging before, so isn't that a good burn therefore, if I felt it from that?

Interstellar
On 5/23/2021 at 11:55 PM, ironpony said:

Oh okay thanks.  If I were to be getting good cardio, what should the heart rate be at when my legs are burning?

95-100% max heart rate...at this rate you can only talk (barely) one word at a time. I’d consider this great cardio.

it’s the lactic acid buildup in your legs and your lungs. if you try running as fast as you could and try holding that pace for 2 minutes for maximum calories, 10 if you’re a masochist with some demons that needs to be exorcise.

Edited by Interstellar
  • Author

Oh okay.  Well running is really good cardio for me but it's just my knees cannot do it much anymore, as well as the broken ankle I had a couple of months ago.  The doctor says to lay off running and try to find another method of getting cardio, but it seems that nothing else works so far compared to running, because every other method exercises the legs only, but doesn't work it's way up to the heart as much.

• Author

Okay thanks, I can do that.  I use running shoes, but should I be using something else?

Because wiggling your arms and legs just isn't the same as moving your whole body. It's much harder to get your heart rate up on a stationary bike or elliptical than it is by running. If you can't use the running machines, how about the rowing machines or stairmaster? These will get you moving your whole body weight around.

Whatever machines you use, you'll likely have more luck getting your heart rate up using a lower resistance setting but moving at a higher speed.

• Author
4 hours ago, Andy_K said:

Because wiggling your arms and legs just isn't the same as moving your whole body. It's much harder to get your heart rate up on a stationary bike or elliptical than it is by running. If you can't use the running machines, how about the rowing machines or stairmaster? These will get you moving your whole body weight around.

Whatever machines you use, you'll likely have more luck getting your heart rate up using a lower resistance setting but moving at a higher speed.

Oh okay.  I was told before the opposite and that I need a higher resistance or it won't work.  Swimming was recommended to me and I tried that, but cannot do that often because of little access to a pool.  But when I do do that, it's the same thing, heart rate is not going up as much.  I thought it was because of the resistance, but I was told that I need resistance to get the heart rate up more.

2 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay.  I was told before the opposite and that I need a higher resistance or it won't work.  Swimming was recommended to me and I tried that, but cannot do that often because of little access to a pool.  But when I do do that, it's the same thing, heart rate is not going up as much.  I thought it was because of the resistance, but I was told that I need resistance to get the heart rate up more.

What will work best depends on what your limiting factor is. If the speed is constant, then higher resistance will work your heart harder than lower resistance. But if your arms/legs tiring first at the higher resistance is your limiting factor, then lowering the resistance should allow you to significantly increase the speed at which you're exercising, which in turn works your heart harder. Some exercises (such as swimming) whilst great on their own, don't give you much flexibility on the resistance, so may not be as helpful to you for hitting your goals.

I'd also highly recommend getting some sort of smartwatch that can track your heart rate. You can then experiment with different speed and resistance settings on these exercises and see which works best for you.

On 5/27/2021 at 2:04 AM, ironpony said:

Okay thanks, I can do that.  I use running shoes, but should I be using something else?

I'm sure your running shoes will be fine.  But check with the personal trainer when you hire them.

Edited by basil67
  • Author
10 hours ago, Andy_K said:

What will work best depends on what your limiting factor is. If the speed is constant, then higher resistance will work your heart harder than lower resistance. But if your arms/legs tiring first at the higher resistance is your limiting factor, then lowering the resistance should allow you to significantly increase the speed at which you're exercising, which in turn works your heart harder. Some exercises (such as swimming) whilst great on their own, don't give you much flexibility on the resistance, so may not be as helpful to you for hitting your goals.

I'd also highly recommend getting some sort of smartwatch that can track your heart rate. You can then experiment with different speed and resistance settings on these exercises and see which works best for you.

Oh okay thank you very much.  Since I have to lay off running because of sore knees and ankle the last few months, from all the running, is there a way to exercise their heart without having to go through the legs at all?  A shortcut to the heart if that's possible, especially since my legs tire out before the heart can get as exercised?

Are you getting the results you want? Or are you getting too much soreness or too many injuries?

What is the goal? Better endurance? Better muscularity? Better overall fitness?

Why not play sports? Swimming, golf tennis, basketball, etc. At least that's fun while you shape up.

• Author

Oh well not many people are playing sports now because of covid. But even when they do, it's only like once every week or less where as I felt I had to exercise more.  I want better overall fitness.  I am also trying to help my insomnia.  I have a lot of trouble sleeping and I notice that cardio exercise particularly, helped before.  I ran for two hours a day because that wore me out enough that I was able to sleep.  I did that for a few months straight, but now with sore knees and a bad ankle as a result, I need to find another way to get the cardio back up, so I can help myself sleep better again but also be in better shape as well.

The goal is also too loose weight since I gained some back, since I had to stop running for two hours a day.

Edited by ironpony

Running two hours a day is way too much. Very high chance of screwing up your knees like that... as I guess you can attest to. 30-40m is plenty for a good cardio workout, so you'd be better off upping the speed/intensity instead of the duration.

To your earlier question - you are going to seriously struggle to get a good heart workout without legs being involved. They are by far your biggest muscles, use by far the most oxygen, and as a result will make the biggest difference to your heart rate.

• Like 2

It is perfectly possible to lose weight without exercising at all. 
There is no need to over exercise, just eat less.

7 hours ago, ironpony said:

I am also trying to help my insomnia. 

Try not to eat heavy meals at least 4-5 hrs before you plan to sleep. Cut out empty calories. Sugary drinks, too much junk, etc.

• Author

Oh okay.  Well because of my job, I am hungry after a full 8 hour shift, and I will come home and eat but then go to bed 3 hours later.  But this is because of alternating shifts, and I have to work the late shift and then get up for the early shift.  Is this going to be a problem digestion wise?

• Author
12 hours ago, Andy_K said:

Running two hours a day is way too much. Very high chance of screwing up your knees like that... as I guess you can attest to. 30-40m is plenty for a good cardio workout, so you'd be better off upping the speed/intensity instead of the duration.

To your earlier question - you are going to seriously struggle to get a good heart workout without legs being involved. They are by far your biggest muscles, use by far the most oxygen, and as a result will make the biggest difference to your heart rate.

Oh okay, but if I have to use my legs, are there any types of machines I can get where the legs do not have to slam into the ground like running, which is causing the knees to be sore?

12 hours ago, elaine567 said:

It is perfectly possible to lose weight without exercising at all. 
There is no need to over exercise, just eat less.

I've beend doing that as well, but I still feel out of shape, after use to exercising so still want the cardio workout, since it felt good before, if possible.