What am I doing wrong when it comes to exercising?

2 hours ago, ironpony said:

It was recommended that I only take about a minute long break, but I feel like I could use five more so.  HITT was told to me by someone who plays sports.  I can ask others, and hire a personal trainer.

If you need a five min break, it means you're running too fast (or too long).  Also, HIIT can be dangerous if not done properly, so if you're going to do it, please  exercise in a way which has been designed for you by a trainer.

A personal trainer is the best way to go as they can gauge your individual requirements and make a plan for you.    

Edited by basil67
  • Author

Oh I see.  Thanks.  Is there a way to measure how much speed I need on the treadmill if I should go for 45 minutes, since I don't feel worked out if I go slow for that long in comparison?

You need to find a your own speed where you work hard but don't need to have breaks.  I'm much slower than my husband on a treadmill, so it all depends on your own physiology and fitness.  If you start on a speed which leaves you exhausted and stop at 15 minutes, then you know you're going too fast.  If you make 45 mins and barely break a sweat, then you're going too slow.   You need to learn to read your body.   For me, I like to start a little slower and increase a bit of speed as I loosen up - but this is just peculiarity for me.  You need to do what works for you. 

Also, don't forget to warm up first.

• Author

Okay thank you very much!  I will try that, thanks!  So going slower even though it will have me huffing and puffing after 45 minutes is still a better work out than huffing and puffing every five minutes at a time then?

I'm not a personal trainer or an expert, so I can't answer that.  My main concern is that if you need a five minute break, then you're doing HIIT wrong.

If you exercise a lot then sure you will be hungry. The key is to overcome and change your ways. It takes time, and control. What you eat and how often matters, not as much is how much you eat as long as its a healthly diet. Snacking is the worse thing. Try max two meals a day no snacking. One meal is even better. You can eat as much as you want during that meal. Again as long as its healthy. Yes you will feel hungry between meal and after workout, but your body will adjust over time. No carbs and sugars. For fruits stick to the blue red type like blueberrys, raseberrys. Not so much fruit. Example a ripe banana is not a good choice. More vegetables and yes meat and good fats like Olive Oil.

NO snacks, insulin resistance control is a big factor. Cut out foods with lectins or at least cooked out the lectins if you must. 

Our grocery stores are full of garbage. Must choose what you buy wisely. Read labels.

C

• Like 1
  • Author

Oh okay thanks.  When I wasn't working I was only eating two meals a day, no snacks.  But now that I started working again, I find that I have to eat breakfast now, in order to have more energy to do the work, plus a snack on my last break at work, to do better at the end of the day since I am getting more hungry by then.

Is it bad to eat three meals a day plus a snack on work days, compared to non-work days where I can eat less?

Edited by ironpony
Johnjohnson2017
14 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay thanks.  When I wasn't working I was only eating two meals a day, no snacks.  But now that I started working again, I find that I have to eat breakfast now, in order to have more energy to do the work, plus a snack on my last break at work, to do better at the end of the day since I am getting more hungry by then.

Is it bad to eat three meals a day plus a snack on work days, compared to non-work days where I can eat less?

Water is your best friend. It has zero calories. You never want to drink your calories... no milk shakes, no protein shakes.

Try to get your exercise first thing in the morning. It will rev up your metabolism for the rest of the day. It will also give you a chance to exercise some more after work if you are really motivated to lose weight. Also, typically, when you wake up, you're not hungry. Try to exercise on an empty stomach or maybe eat a small yoghurt.

What is your BMI? Are you really overweight? You will have loose skin if you need to  lose a lot of weight. It's hard to get definition. You need to get down to about 15-18% body fat in order for your abs to start becoming visible.

If you have knee problems, take up swimming. If your knees are good, do plyometrics. There are a lot of good videos on youtube about plyometrics. I was able to lose those extra couple of pounds using plyos.

• Author

Okay thanks. I feel like I have less energy to exercise if I haven't eaten yeah but maybe I'll get used to it. But also it's hard to exercise in the morning cuz I don't want to wake anyone up when the exercise machines make noise. I use a treadmill now. It's hard to get into gyms now because of covid.

This whole thread is quite painful to read. 

If you are really this uneducated on Exercise and Calorie intake vs outtake, join a gym and get a personal trainer before you do yourself some serious damage. As helpful as these forums are, you're getting advice from a bunch of random unqualified people. It worries me (as someone who trains 5 days a week) your constant repetition of thinking you need to exhaust yourself and get your heart rate sky high to think you're getting a decent workout. 

Your whole mindset needs to change, even on the nutrition side. Food is fuel. Nutrition is key. Starving yourself is not. My Fitness Pal is a great affordable app to track your calories, and is user friendly enough for the most beginner of users. Download this, log your calories and ensure you are eating high protein meals. Carbs are fuel, and they are your friend. As long as they are complex carbs (E.G brown rice, fruit, vegies, wholegrains, beans etc are all complex carbs) You want to be eating high protein and complex carbs to keep your body full, and fueled. 

Weight training will assist in losing weight over cardio just FYI. but I wont go into that..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
22 hours ago, Brian1223 said:

This whole thread is quite painful to read. 

If you are really this uneducated on Exercise and Calorie intake vs outtake, join a gym and get a personal trainer before you do yourself some serious damage. As helpful as these forums are, you're getting advice from a bunch of random unqualified people. It worries me (as someone who trains 5 days a week) your constant repetition of thinking you need to exhaust yourself and get your heart rate sky high to think you're getting a decent workout. 

Your whole mindset needs to change, even on the nutrition side. Food is fuel. Nutrition is key. Starving yourself is not. My Fitness Pal is a great affordable app to track your calories, and is user friendly enough for the most beginner of users. Download this, log your calories and ensure you are eating high protein meals. Carbs are fuel, and they are your friend. As long as they are complex carbs (E.G brown rice, fruit, vegies, wholegrains, beans etc are all complex carbs) You want to be eating high protein and complex carbs to keep your body full, and fueled. 

Weight training will assist in losing weight over cardio just FYI. but I wont go into that..

Okay thanks, I heard this as well.  But when I weight train do I have to do lift weights in certain areas in order to loose weight in certain areas?  For example if I am weighting and exercising my bicep while weight lifting, does that mean I will most likely loose fat in the bicep as well, or does that mean I could loose fat in my calfs just as likely?  Or is weight lifting area based and if you want to loose fat in a certain area of the body, it will be better to exercise that particular area?

When you lift weights, two things happen:  you build muscle and you also burn calories    The muscles will build in the areas you work, while the calorie burn will take weight randomly.  

Seriously though, I know I keep saying this, but you need a personal trainer to design a program and explain how all this works. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, ironpony said:

Okay thanks, I heard this as well.  But when I weight train do I have to do lift weights in certain areas in order to loose weight in certain areas?  For example if I am weighting and exercising my bicep while weight lifting, does that mean I will most likely loose fat in the bicep as well, or does that mean I could loose fat in my calfs just as likely?  Or is weight lifting area based and if you want to loose fat in a certain area of the body, it will be better to exercise that particular area?

Obviously if you are doing weights that target your biceps its not going to train your calves.. come on. This is common sense. Sorry to sound blunt. 

Just stick with cardio for now because weight training is very complex compared to basic cardio, but seriously get yourself a trainer. 

Just remember, exercise and good nutrition is not a quick fix. It's a lifestyle choice. You need to build up stamina in the cardio department. Work your way up safely to be able to do more and for longer. Set yourself small achievable targets, but in doing this I truly believe you need help from a professional trainer. It can be very daunting to begin with when you have no education on the matter, and there is so much information and misinformation out there its very overwhelming. A trainer will be able to work with you, and your specific needs and goals and help guide you to achieve this. 

Brian is right about getting a trainer.   We've been suggesting the same to you for as long as you've been posting about exercise.  

What stops you from getting program designed by a PT?

• Author
7 hours ago, basil67 said:

Brian is right about getting a trainer.   We've been suggesting the same to you for as long as you've been posting about exercise.  

What stops you from getting program designed by a PT?

Well it's just it's difficult now because of covid.  I can get a trainer to help me online but it's difficult for one to be there with me physically.  But maybe I don't need that and online is all I need?

• Author

Well I talked to a trainer and she said that I exercise too late in the day, and that is what is keeping me up in my sleep but also working up too much of an appetite afterwards compared to earlier in the day.  She says to do it before work.  But I live with people and I don't want to wake them up from exercising before work.  Should I just get a new job where I work late shifts then in order to exercise before work?  Is it worth boycotting all daytime shift jobs then?

Most people would probably just join a gym so that they can exercise in the morning without disturbing the household.   

Why would you need to work late shifts to incorporate an hour in a gym before work?

• Author
28 minutes ago, basil67 said:

Most people would probably just join a gym so that they can exercise in the morning without disturbing the household.   

Why would you need to work late shifts to incorporate an hour in a gym before work?

The gyms are not operating well because of covid.  They have cut down their hours and are not open before my shift starts.

• Author
3 minutes ago, basil67 said:

It would be summer where you are now.  Can you go for a run?

Oh no, it's freezing cold winter now.  In the summer it's not a problem though.  Just during the cold winter season.  I've tried in the cold but it's slippery and icy out and the cold air hurts my lungs, causing me to tire out too soon.