What am I doing wrong when it comes to exercising?

• Author

Oh okay thanks.  I can look up HIIT.  I tried adding more resistance, but I don't get as much of a cardio work out if I do that.  I get more work out in my legs and thighs if I do, but I thought that cardio was better or more important.

Well, if you're running on a treadmill and adjust the incline to increase the intensity it pushes your heart rate more and helps burn more calories.  

• Author

Oh okay, I feel the heartrate is being pushed less because I am not moving as fast with incline being increased unless I am doing something wrong?

5 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay, I feel the heartrate is being pushed less because I am not moving as fast with incline being increased unless I am doing something wrong?

Maybe try wearing a heart rate monitor during your workout sessions to gain a better insight on the effectiveness of your workouts. There's also free apps that you can download to your smartphone that measure your heart rate (you put your finger on your phone device and it records your heart rate). It may not be 100% accurate but it can give you a broad overview.

• Author

Well I feel like when it comes to running I want to exercise my heart but my heart doesn't get as much exercise because my legs tire out beforehand.  Is there a way to exercise the heart without having to go through the legs if that makes sense?

• Author

Oh you mean an elliptical machine?  I tried that as well, but my legs get tired before my heart gets enough of a work out.  Swimming is difficult to do in covid times though.

4 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh you mean an elliptical machine?  I tried that as well, but my legs get tired before my heart gets enough of a work out.  Swimming is difficult to do in covid times though.

Yes, an elliptical machine.  I really don't know of any other high intensity exercises where your legs aren't used. 

You could opt for low-impact cardio instead if you're legs are tiring out too quickly.

• Author

oh okay it's just on the elliptical my legs tire out long before my heart gets much exercise it feels like.  Is there any type of exercise where I can move my arms really fast to get cardio exercise rather than my legs so much?

7 hours ago, ironpony said:

oh okay it's just on the elliptical my legs tire out long before my heart gets much exercise it feels like.  Is there any type of exercise where I can move my arms really fast to get cardio exercise rather than my legs so much?

I'm sorry, I really can't think of anything else.  I don't know if you have access to gyms during Covid but if/when you do you can always ask one of the instructors. I hope you find an exercise that works for you. 

Eat all the protein you want but not pasta or rice or desserts. Some fruits. Keep carbs low. But nothing wrong with meats and eggs.  Advice from a dietician told me this

• 4 weeks later...

It is definitely NOT abnormal to eat more when you are exercising a lot.  Eating a great deal of high protein meals will benefit you and lead to some better results from these workouts. 

josedelamuerte

It's not how much you eat. It's what you eat.

I'm also working out and making dietary changes now - not to lose weight, but to decrease body fat % ("get ripped" 😎). I've been doing the Tim Ferris diet for a week and a half, and by simply switching out bread and potatoes for legumes, and cutting out the milk and cereal for six days a week - I'm down a belt-hole. And I'm not hungry.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, josedelamuerte said:

It's not how much you eat. It's what you eat.

That is only partially true.  A calorie is a calorie.  It's all about calories consumed vs. calories expended.  You need to be operating in a deficit. 

However certain calories are more filling:  protein & fiber while junk food & carbs are less filling so you need to eat more to feel full. 

Congratulations on your weight loss @josedelamuerte

• Like 1

Protein Protein Protein...........it will help led to DEFINITION, muscle, RIPPED abs.........plus eliminating the BAD calories will promote weight loss 

• Author

Oh okay thanks!  I will keep that I mind.  Another thing is, since I started exercising more, I've been getting a lot more heart burn, after exercising.  Is this normal for exercise to cause heartburn and gas?

8 hours ago, ironpony said:

.  Is this normal for exercise to cause heartburn and gas?

Crunches can cause farting. Especially if you are eating a lot of brussel sprouts and stuff like that.🥗

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Oh okay, actually it's the jogging and cardio that is causing it.  But the gas is not coming out though, and that's the problem is that it hurts and I have to gaviscon to get it out as a result.

It's called "trapped wind."  And yes, it may be very painful. Be careful not to fiddle around with OTC remedies when it comes to your digestive system until you have exhausted more natural remedies. The digestive system is a very complex system, and you can actually mess it up even more if not treated properly.

• Author

Oh okay thanks.  So far the gaviscon has been working, but thanks, I can keep that in mind.  So is trapped wind common from jogging exercise then?

On 2/22/2021 at 11:18 AM, ironpony said:

Oh okay thanks.  So far the gaviscon has been working, but thanks, I can keep that in mind.  So is trapped wind common from jogging exercise then?

What makes you think the Gaviscon helps if you are unable to expel excess gas? What are you taking it for exactly? 

• Author

The gaviscon helps me expell it.  I am unable to expell the gas worked up from the exercising until I take the gaviscon which helps.  But wonder if I should be doing something else to have the gas come out without relying on gaviscon.

Oh. I misread that it helps.

Talk to your doctor or pharmacist or research natural remedies like exercise poses and diet.

I had recurring stomach issues for months so I know it can be quite uncomfortable.

• Author

Oh okay, thanks, I can do that :).  I was also wondering, is there a way to get my joggine done faster than 3 hours?  3 hours is a lot in the day to jog and wonder if I can jog on the treadmill faster, or maybe that is not possible and you need breaks?

9 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay, thanks, I can do that :).  I was also wondering, is there a way to get my joggine done faster than 3 hours?  3 hours is a lot in the day to jog and wonder if I can jog on the treadmill faster, or maybe that is not possible and you need breaks?

Sure! 

I suppose you'll have to jog faster. Try not to overdo it though. 

• Like 1