What am I doing wrong when it comes to exercising?

• Author

Okay thanks, but I have the treadmill turned up as fast as it will go and I take breaks but it still takes 3 hours to have a good workout with all the breaks I take in between runs.  Am I doing something wrong?

48 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Okay thanks, but I have the treadmill turned up as fast as it will go and I take breaks but it still takes 3 hours to have a good workout with all the breaks I take in between runs.  Am I doing something wrong?

Three hours is nuts unless you're training to be a marathon runner.   What is the goal of your running?   

• Author

Just to stay in good shape.  I take breaks though in between runs so it's not three hours consistently though.  But wonder if there is a way to get just as much of a workout without it taking 3 hours, including the breaks.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:52 PM, ironpony said:

Just to stay in good shape.  I take breaks though in between runs so it's not three hours consistently though.  But wonder if there is a way to get just as much of a workout without it taking 3 hours, including the breaks.

Three hours? What on earth are you doing? Half an hour of intense cardio a day is plenty. Also, too much running will be bad for your knees. Consider switching it up with the stairmaster, elliptical, or rowing machine.

If your legs are getting too tired in a half hour workout then sorry, but you just need to get stronger. Or lighter. You should absolutely be able to support your own bodyweight for that length of time. Start measuring your heart rate and time your runs/rests to keep it above the target level for your age. Three hours of anything is really not giving you the benefit you think it is

• Like 1
  • Author

Well when I go running on the treadmill, I got really tired after running for three minutes.  So I have to take breaks.   I can't go for half an hour straight because I get tired and need breaks.  All those breaks in between add up to three hours of devoting time.  So is there a way to go 30 minutes straight without needing breaks and saving time then?

@ironpony you're running too fast.   Find a pace which you can sustain and run for 30 mins without a break.   A slow jog is fine if that's where you need to start.  

Why can't you build up to it?  Meaning, give yourself a few months to become acclimated to running on the treadmill for 30 minutes without breaks. Or, space it out over the week into 10 minute sessions. If you're not accustomed to running you can't expect to go a full thirty minutes straight right out of the gate. I think you also really need to talk to an instructor to help guide you so you do not over exert yourself.

• Like 2
  • Author

Oh okay, I can talk to an instructor.  I thought I would build up to it by running fast and then making the breats in between shorter, but they seem to be getting longer and I need more rests perhaps.

2 minutes ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay, I can talk to an instructor.  

Good. You'll get there eventually! 😊

• Author

Well I could hire a personal trainer to help give me some advice on it, I just wanted to save money and wonder if that was necessary.  But maybe it is :).

My PT taught me to run.  The goal was to do 30mins non-stop with the pace being the variable.    I'm a woman in in my mid 50's and I've never run in my life, so I started at 3kph (1.8mph), which was a fast shuffle and gradually got faster.   He wanted to see the distance covered during my 30 min run increase by about 200m per run.

• Like 1
  • Author

Oh okay, how do you do that without breaks in between though since I get tired after 2 minutes.

Interstellar
22 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay, how do you do that without breaks in between though since I get tired after 2 minutes.

When i started running about 100 years ago, I can only run for five minutes and get tired after.  I took a jogging class in college because i wanted to learn how to run and also for credits. It’s really just slowly building up yourself up to it. We’d run on the football field but we’d start out running one side, then rest by walking after, then run again, then walk, etc...just week after week of doing that and i learned how to run without getting tired. This is a marathon not a sprint, so be patient and consistent and the results will come.

Check out Youtube, absolutely sure there’s something there too. Gotta love the internet.

Edited by Interstellar
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Start at a walking pace. You can walk for more than 3 minutes, right? Half an hour? Okay then, do that one session, then increase the speed slightly for the next session. Keep going until you reach the point at which half an hour is a struggle. That's your level. Now every time it starts to feel a little easier, increase the speed.

When I first began practicing Yoga, I overworked myself and developed swimmer's shoulder in both arms, which necessitated months of physical therapy. Certain poses took about two years for me to learn without injuring myself, and I still find them difficult (monkey, crow, etc). 

So, I hope you make sure to stretch a lot and get a good warm-up and cool-down before and after to reduce the risk of musculoskeletal injuries.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Author

I've been having trouble getting cardio workouts because when I try, the rest of my body gets worked out instead but the cardio as much.  I was told to try an exercise bike, and elyptical machine, but I've tried them and I keep getting a work out in legs only on the bike, and in the case of the elyptical, my arms and legs, but not the heart so much.  My legs and arms are burning, but not the heart so much.

Am I doin'g something wrong when it comes to cardio exercise?  Thanks for any info on it!  I really appreciate it!

Edited by ironpony

What is your heart rate when your legs are burning on the bike or treadmill?  

• Author

I don't know.  I never thought of measuring the rate.  I can try to find a way to do that.

You can take your own heart rate by holding your fingers to the carotid artery on your neck & counting or you can buy a fit bit type watch that monitors heart rate 

• Author

Oh okay thanks.  If I were to be getting good cardio, what should the heart rate be at when my legs are burning?

2 hours ago, ironpony said:

Oh okay thanks.  If I were to be getting good cardio, what should the heart rate be at when my legs are burning?

It would vary according to your fitness and how hard you're working.  Speak to a personal trainer or your primary care physician.