I want the impossible

LargoLagg

• Author
No, she's got YOU now, LL, that's why you can't resist trying to 'best' her. The only thing is, you won't. Noirek is not in it for winning or being right. She came here at a similar point as you but with the brutal honesty and penetrating insight that goes with a sincere commitment to personal change. Her openness was as compelling as it was heart-wrenching, though ultimately she helped herself. She never played games with posters or needed to best them though she could have run circles around any of us with her intellect and incisive analysis. She's not here for the sound bites but she'll expose posers.

I've noticed what I'll call a hypersensitivity in this group. It's an interesting phenomenon. It's like you look for clues in people's language, and anything that could even remotely indicate bad faith is pounced upon like it actually means something. My favorite example of this is "the wife" vs. "my wife". In circles where people are not dealing with years of adultery and lying and sneaking around, the two are interchangeable. Here, "the" takes on a special connotation that is hard evidence of detachment and malevolence.

I suppose I can understand it, but you need to know that your injury has caused you to speak a different dialect. I'm not sure where you're from but "I got you now" is a colloquialism that means "Now I understand you." I didn't understand what Noirek was getting at before that last description. That's all it meant.

I don't care how smart, insightful or incisive she may be. She doesn't know me. She's guessing.

• Author

Having given it a little thought today, I just wanted to let you know that I'm done here. I've accomplished what I set out to accomplish, and I feel a lot better than I did when I started.

Thanks for your input, everyone. Though it didn't always go smoothly, I know you meant well. No regrets.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I bet your wife already knows the whole thing. Maybe the work girlfriend isn't as understanding as you think? Maybe others at your work saw what was going on and thought your wife should know? That would be horrible to deal with around Christmas with a family to worry about.