Online Dating Profile Turnoffs

TheArtist

LookAtThisPOst
I find it quite curious that some people have strong preferences/obsessions with specific physical characteristics... like red hair, or whatever. And would actually break up over insecurities about not meeting the criteria in an ideal description.

You'd think relationships are nothing more than choosing someone with the right physical description and living happily ever after.

What if a guy said a certain movie star is hot- does that mean you'd have to end the relationship because you can't be her... or only if you aren't her doppelganger?

I have a male friend, age 50 that says he'll never date a red-head, actually I've known a couple of guys like this. Even if they were a hot red-head, they still wouldn't do it.

Passing on someone simply because of hair color? I mean really??

• Like 1
LookAtThisPOst
I have to say with a fake profile with really good looking pictures I made a point of saying to every woman who messaged me first that had this on their profile that I am very humourless and not much fun. I cannot think of a single woman who objected and all of them said that it wasn't really important to them.

Confusing much!

Wow, you can do everything in your power to make yourself sound unappealing, talking them OUT of it even, and they are practically you're lap dog because you're "cute". :laugh:

AverageJoe1986
Wow, you can do everything in your power to make yourself sound unappealing, talking them OUT of it even, and they are practically you're lap dog because you're "cute". :laugh:

Yes I can say anything I want. Seriously. I've badgered one woman to set me up wth her hot married friend that I spotted in her photo and she still wanted to meet for drinks. I've told them that I'll talk to them until someone in my league is available, that I'm looking to set up orgies on tinder. When you're really good looking it's very hard to put them off. I'd say 10-15% at most disappear.

LookAtThisPOst

Saw this one recently. She's a "personal trainer." She had regular pictures of herself.

But then...she has 2 photos from the neck down...showing only her body, in a bra top and she has one hand with her thumb pulling down on spandex pants slightly, showing a small amount below the bikini line.

Another pic of her body, arched back, a** sticking towards the camera. Sports bra for her top, so you can see her full torso and of course showin' off her abs in the pics.

Of course she's hot to look at, esp. for a 49 year old personal trainer, but...you can't honestly take this woman seriously as she's just doing it for the attention and not for dates.

Those "I'm hot, and I know it" photos.

All the redundancy package peeps....

- Life is meant to be lived. Really? **** I've been doing it wrong the whole time.

- i like having a laugh/having a good time. I've never met anyone who didn't.

The 'young at heart' line. Basically this is someone who looks worn out and has no confidence in themselves but wants to date someone younger. They can't recommend themselves based on their physique so tote out the old....well I'm an old codger really but hey on the inside I'm like 10!

Who are you trying to kid?

And when you think about it, this is just about the most redundant thing to say ever. Who the hell doesn't wistfully desire their 20's body, energy and vitality back when they're past 40 and feeling and looking tired all the time? I mean really.

For me, when I read young at heart, it get translated in my head as tragic mid-life crisis. :eek:

Edited by Buddhist
  • Like 1
I find it quite curious that some people have strong preferences/obsessions with specific physical characteristics... like red hair, or whatever. And would actually break up over insecurities about not meeting the criteria in an ideal description.

You'd think relationships are nothing more than choosing someone with the right physical description and living happily ever after.

What if a guy said a certain movie star is hot- does that mean you'd have to end the relationship because you can't be her... or only if you aren't her doppelganger?

Well if I'm dating someone, I'd just find it incredibly gauche for them to say "oh redheads are really my ideal type". I would say "well go find one then". Everyone is going to find certain physical types more appealing. Personally I would never admit this to the man I was dating as I wouldn't want him to feel inadequate. I have gone against my "type" at certain times so I don't restrict myself by some ideal.

And yes relationships should be more about chasing the right physical description. That's why I'm keen to disregard any man that seems to focus on this in a profile. I think there is nothing wrong with having certain preferences but you can filter people yourself. You don't need to make it blatant in profile. Plus it doesn't do you many favours as you could come across someone you wouldn't initially have considered but you are really into.

AverageJoe1986

And yes relationships should be more about chasing the right physical description.

Prime example of how accidentally using two words in the wrong order can give a totally different meaning.

Prime example of how accidentally using two words in the wrong order can give a totally different meaning.

Exactly haha. Whoops! It's been a long weekend for me but I'm not allowed to edit my posts on here so I can't change it.

LookAtThisPOst

I'm seeing more and more, "If you want to know more, ask." in their profiles.

I'm like "Really, are you even going to bother to ANSWER?!"

• Like 1

When I was on OKC I filtered out the guys who wanted a "drama-free" girl who was "down-to-earth". For one thing, it's really unoriginal; I swear I saw those phrases in 70% of profiles, so it doesn't say much for one's creativity. But the bigger issue to me was why anyone would list anything so blindingly obvious. Who out there is looking for a high-strung, melodramatic maniac with no perspective on life? Do women write things like "Hey, I'm looking for a guy who's friendly and isn't a serial killer"?

Edited by lana-banana
  • Like 1
LookAtThisPOst

Oh, I got another one.

People who don't take normal photographs, but take pictures of pictures.

Usually they take pictures of their framed photos sitting on a shelf or on the table.

They don't even use a SCANNER to scan that picture in. So you're seeing the glare from the flash of the camera taking picture OF that picture. :laugh:

OR they take a picture of their computer monitor of their picture displayed on their screen. I'm like seriously, WTF is wrong with these people? LOL

• Like 1
When I was on OKC I filtered out the guys who wanted a "drama-free" girl who was "down-to-earth". For one thing, it's really unoriginal; I swear I saw those phrases in 70% of profiles, so it doesn't say much for one's creativity. But the bigger issue to me was why anyone would list anything so blindingly obvious. Who out there is looking for a high-strung, melodramatic maniac with no perspective on life? Do women write things like "Hey, I'm looking for a guy who's friendly and isn't a serial killer"?

haha I know. I see a lot of "looking for a woman who doesn't take herself seriously". I'm afraid to say that I have had some serious **** to deal with in my life and so I daresay I do take myself seriously.

It makes the guy look bad when he says he's looking for a "drama free" woman as it makes it seem like he attracts drama. You shoot yourself in the foot writing that.

• Like 1
LookAtThisPOst

There ever cliche'd Marilyn Monroe quote uttered in profiles:

"If you can’t handle me at my worst, then you don’t deserve me at my best."

I have to say with a fake profile with really good looking pictures I made a point of saying to every woman who messaged me first that had this on their profile that I am very humourless and not much fun. I cannot think of a single woman who objected and all of them said that it wasn't really important to them.

Confusing much!

Maybe they took it as sarcasm. Or a dry sense of humor. Either way it shows they were more interested in the looks of who they thought they were talking to.

I'm seeing more and more, "If you want to know more, ask." in their profiles.

I'm like "Really, are you even going to bother to ANSWER?!"

The only time I would put anything close to this in my profile is if I've already written quite a bit about myself and then I can just tack on something about them getting to know me more by messaging me. I think that's ok to do.

But I've seen those empty profiles before that just say "ask me" or whatever instead of telling me. How much could you possibly surmise from someone based on a few message exchanges? If I'm going to go on a date with someone and really get to know them I have to know a little bit about them first to decide if I even want to go on a date. Annoying!

• Author

OK, I've just read this one as a headline, 'Even Hitler Had a Girlfriend'.

Nothing like thinking of Colditz to really get that warm feeling in your belly. :love:

Let's have some romance, eh ladies?

Since I'm the OP on this one, I'm going to try to compile everyone's thoughts into a single post so that both men and women can see the turn offs.

• Like 3

Since I'm the OP on this one, I'm going to try to compile everyone's thoughts into a single post so that both men and women can see the turn offs.

Apparently Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun had sex fully clothed lol. Imagine if LS existed back then lol.

Anywho..

How about the "turn ons"? for profiles, we pretty much have the "what not to do's" now how about the "what to do's?"

Edited by lilmissjava
  • Like 1

I would like the OP to give me a bloke's opinion on my profile. But no critiques on my looks as my sensitive self can't handle this at the moment :p.

• Author
I would like the OP to give me a bloke's opinion on my profile. But no critiques on my looks as my sensitive self can't handle this at the moment :p.

Of course Crucible! Send me the link on a private message and I'll have a look for you. :)

Of course Crucible! Send me the link on a private message and I'll have a look for you. :)

I am a girl but would be happy to as well if you want?

I can send you mine so you can have a look if you want? Get some ideas?

• Like 1
LookAtThisPOst

Oh this is a GOOD one, shows how intelligent this person is.

A profile on POF has 2 pictures, but...

About me: Vsbdndnndndbshbdjnxndkdnbehe

First Date: hshsjxjnxjxnekxbshwbndjz

Crazy cat lady late her cats write her profile? :lmao:

Acutally, I've seen quite a few like this.

Would be interested to know what others think.

i share your opinion! it's not so much the military for me -- it's the health workers. doctors, paramedics, nurses... they're ALWAYS in their uniforms on pics they put on the profile. it's definitely a turn off because it comes off as bragging and some type of "pu$$y magnet" because many ladies are attracted to the job and have some sort of fetish.

it's like - when they put military pics or other jobs that are considered sexy (such as firefighters), it's usually with the "look at me!" intention. trying to make themselves as desirable as they can be. but hey! whatever works for them.

on topic -- i find semi - naked, "in front of the gym" pics in the profile a turn off.[] i always roll my eyes at the "ambitious bodybuilder" :D

oh and bad grammar.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Language
  • Like 4
Michelle ma Belle

Came across this the other day...

Opening Line:

Looking for passionate love making and nothing less

Member Overview:

I'm a massage therapist and I'm a very sexual person with a lot of stamina. Looking for a beautiful woman who can finally keep up with me.

What He's Looking For:

Must love kissing, laying in bed together and sex. I love to cuddle and fondle and spoon as well.

:D At least he's being honest :p

• Like 2
Oh this is a GOOD one, shows how intelligent this person is.

A profile on POF has 2 pictures, but...

About me: Vsbdndnndndbshbdjnxndkdnbehe

First Date: hshsjxjnxjxnekxbshwbndjz

Crazy cat lady late her cats write her profile? :lmao:

Acutally, I've seen quite a few like this.

I wish the cat lady rubbish would die. It isn't funny, and men have cats, too. Dogs have also been known to smash their paws on things.

She may have just edited things out. It may not be the most mature thing, but it doesn't have to be down to a cat walking across a keyboard.