Online Dating Profile Turnoffs

TheArtist

Michelle ma Belle
Or those with her next to her much hotter friend!

'Please be the one on the left, please be the one on the left, please be the one on the left...'

HAHA this made me laugh out loud :lmao: I can't tell you how many times I've said that under my breath.

• Like 2

Lol, I've seen all of these.

I am guilty of posting some past pics, but I always put the date... And I make sure to have recent ones too.

I only put past pics when it shows me doing something I claim to do (proof!). Like, I have a pic with no makeup with me using a circular saw at a job site for some volunteer work. Multiple camping pics. At the finish line of a marathon... Plus one or two dolled up, not seductive. Always have my clothes fully on.

Having some past pics shows I am not a yo yo dieter... And yea, I have pretty much looked this way my entire life... That I have always been healthy and am not dropping off a cliff anytime soon. What you see is what you get.

That generally reduces most of the 'hey there' type emails. Since I did that, the quality of the guys who contact or respond to me has gone way up.

• Like 2

An instant turn off for me is guys trying to do the 'seductive' look or are too serious.

Anything sexual in the profile or emphasizing 'chemistry'. Well duh. We all want to be attracted to who we are dating. To me this is code for a guy who is not serious about finding a relationship.

Anything that leads me to question his intentions or reason to be there... Also a no go. I am not interested in guys who are effing one woman one day as a FWB, then trying to get to know me for something more. Decide what you want, and what you are looking for, then state that upfront.

I've rejected offers for communication by many men, no matter how well they penned an intro, simply because they gave off a vague vibe or didn't state their intentions on their profile. I am not interested in guys who keep things vague hoping to appeal to the masses or fashion their so called 'interests' after the fact. That's a BS'er right there.

• Like 1
LookAtThisPOst
Cliche ridden profiles! 'I'm looking for a partner in crime' who is 'down to earth' and is a 'genuine guy'. You've told me nothin'!!

OH man, don't get ME started! :laugh:

"IWork hard, play hard!" and "Life's too short to sweat the small stuff" or "I don't sweat the small stuff."

Or some claim that they are "Laid back" looking for "laid back"

"I an down to Earth!" (a lot claim to be this for some reason, very popular cliche'!" lol)

There is also a lot of stating of the obvious...

"I like new adventures!" "I love to laugh!"

"I want someone who is drug free, has a job and a car, doesn't beat me! No jail record!

"I like being around friends and family." "I am looking for a man with morals, values, and and makes me laugh....a nice guy" (But I won't respond to one on here.)

==Going to put some actual POF Headliners here==

"Looking for my best friend"

"Life's an adventure...let's try it together" (another "adventure" cliche'")

"Not looking to play games" (I bet if this headline could be "sorted", I bet there'd be a large amount on a spread sheet, lol)

"Add me on SnapChat <insert SnapChat screen name>

"True love is friendship on fire!"

The over used, "Live, Laugh, Love"

"Looking for my prince charming"

===On to the POF "About Me" section===

Just ask me, I will tell you.

Just Ask.

Will fill this out later (a month passes, still says, "Will fill this out later.")

Now the pictures:

All selfies all from the same angle, showing the face only all in the same position. The double chin sometimes cropped out.

All selfies taken from a birds eye view (from above the head)

Picture taken with a pet or kid in their lap, squatted down or acting "cute" by doing a "peek-a-boo" pose from out behind the tree...woops, sorry, I can see your caboose sticking out the other side...guess the tree wasn't wide enough to hide all of you.

• Like 2
LookAtThisPOst

Oh, and pictures with their snuggling up to their male orbiter friends...not just a good ol "this is my pal" photo, but a man/woman, MAXIM kind of pose.

I remember emailing a woman that had like 3 pictures of herself in these poses with 3 diff. men. I said, "You may want to drop those photos or at least put in the caption who they are.

She said, "Oh them? They are my gay friends!"

Woah guess she fooled EVERYONE...little miss mysterious there! :laugh:

• Like 1
LookAtThisPOst

Then they addendum or updates to their profiles.

"You know, I've been getting a lot of emails lately, so if I don't respond to your first email, don't send another a week later...if you can't figure out I wasn't interested the first time, you need your head examined." (I paraphrased)

Or any version of, "If I didn't respond, it means I wasn't interested."

OH, and "Please read ENTIRE PROFILE, before contacting!"

Or..."To make sure you've read my entire profile, please enter the word "Lime" in your message.

So I did type in "lime"...no response.

• Like 2
  • Author

'Hmm... not sure what to write here.'

Well have a think, love. We'll wait for you, eh?

Can't wait for our first conversation! :D

• Like 3
This!

A few more are:

- Pics with only group shots. How am I supposed to figure out which guy is you?

- Profiles without pics. Especially ones that say they can't because of their job, privacy, etc. I just assume they are cheating.

- Text speak or poor formatting such as profiles that have no spacing and are difficult to read. I just don't.

- Profiles that say that even if a woman is slightly overweight they won't date her (one of the questions on OK Cupid). I'm not overweight myself and a lot of these guys message me but to me it signifies someone who's likely to be shallow. People can so whatever they want but this one is a turn off to me.

If it's a group shot of females--she's always the ugliest one.

• Like 5

So my search criteria is male between late 30's early 40's

My number one profile put-er off-er's are bathroom/mirror selfies with no shirt on. Save it because you aren't leaving much to be imagined. Mirror selfies in general.

Car selfies. Why?

Profile pics with their kids. Again, why? Don't put the kids out there!

As for profile content, username must not contain sexual innuendo. Guys that say they are fun, like to laugh, like to go out or stay in. Who isn't and who doesn't do any of these things?

Guys that post Internet memes to show you exactly how they feel about getting into a relationship. One guy had a meme of men grabbing butts that said "This could be us!" :eek: and another guy had a meme about his ex. Then continued to bash her in his profile. Red flag anyone? Lol

Yes I am happy on my OLD break lol

Edited by lilmissjava

'Please be the one on the left, please be the one on the left, please be the one on the left...'

And it never is... what's up with that?

They also post pics of them with their hot-looking, twenty-something daughters, and at first you go wow! until you realize she's the one hiding in the shadows in the back.

Do they actually think that the other person's attractiveness boosts theirs somehow? Attractive by association? The reality is that it draws a stark comparison and we say, uh, too bad and click away.

Car selfies. Why?

Profile pics with their kids. Again, why? Don't put the kids out there!

Or pets. Sometimes they have one bad pic of themselves and half a dozen of cats or dogs, often being squeezed mercilessly by said female.

When I see pics where pets are any more than incidental background, the first thing I think is... clueless.

• Like 1

For me, my pet hate in profiles are as follows:

• With the profile itself: profiles that read like they have been copied and pasted from some template and frequently are filled with cliches such as "looking for a partner in crime"

• With usernames: those usernames ending with "osaurs". The number of new dinosaur species lurking on online dating sites must be a fossil hunter's dream!

• Finally for profile pictures: profile pictures of her jumping up in the air with her arms spread out in front of some major landmark, for some reason I can't explain I just find this a turnoff. In addition the group photo profile pictures where she is surrounded by several of her friends, which in almost all cases seem to be hotter than her. This is especially annoying when all the profile pictures consist of group shots as it makes it tricky to actually work out which one she actually is.

Edited by Philosopher
If i'm looking for a salesman, he should know how to sell himself through an interview. If I'm looking for a beauty model, she must know how to sell herself.

Just please remind me, what all of that has something to do with qualities and being a potential for a great love and relationship? And also a job interview is face to face, which is much better. But you talk about a profile. One page who must summerise you.

I'm sorry but I will never agree to summarize myself in on page. It's insulting. I'm not a product. Luckily, I don't need online dating... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I never said "sell" yourself. I meant you should "present" yourself well, like you give a s hit.

• Like 1

I thought of another one. Just who say they are looking for 'fun'. Who isn't. When I read this it makes me thing he's referring to 'Fun in bed'.

• Like 1
bettermistakes

I don't understand what would possess a man to post pictures of himself flipping the bird. Or pictures that literally say "F*** you."

I'm not a fan of having a hat and sunglasses on in every picture, either.

Don't like the selfies shot from below with the guy looking down. All I can think is bj pov shot.

and think hard about how your user name could potentially be construed- maybe you just really are a fan of Mexican food, but it's probably best to avoid choosing "tacolover."

• Like 1

- Clichés of any description

- Poor grammar

- Any whiff of pretentiousness and arrogance. I like intelligent but down to earth men. I have quite a posh accent but I'm down to earth. I don't like people who come across as if they're showing off and think they're the bees knees. I see this a lot on okcupid.

- Overly political people. I'm politically moderate and I'm not into social protest movements. I have my opinions but I'm not a soapbox person.

- Environmentalists and vegetarians (sorry). It's just because I do recycle and care to some extent about environmental issues, but I'm not about to be lectured about my lifestyle.

- Nationalists, mainly due to the political scene in Scotland at the moment. I don't support independence and it's an emotive issue which can be very divisive so I'd want to date someone who has the same views as me on this.

• Like 1

- Pics with only group shots. How am I supposed to figure out which guy is you?

I've solved this riddle years ago.

In a group shot, it's always the ugly one!! :lmao:

• Like 1

When guys post the selfies bathroom picture. Turn-off, I don't care if he's got a six-pack ab, NO NO NO!

When a guys profile is filled with anger and lists all these things that he hates about women. Example: I'm not looking for a sugar daddy, dating a girl with multiple kids, overweight women, are crazy. Seriously, who writes these things???

• Like 2

Oh, oh... Always the "comfortable in jeans and a T shirt or dressing up for a night on the town".

WTF?

...and descriptions of walking on a beach hand in hand sipping wine, or whatever. Yawn.

• Like 2