Online Dating Profile Turnoffs

TheArtist

I do this, only because my location can be pin pointed and I will only disclose where I live if I feel comfortable that the guy isn't a stalker.

I use the nearest city as my location as it's 30 minutes away. All first meets take place in that city and until I am seriously considering taking things further, a prospect from OLD will never know where I live.

I do it for my own security reasons and I know other people use OLD where I live and not one of them discloses where they live either because it's so small.

In this situation it is fine as you live very close to that city so it is still easy to meet up. It is when their profile location says they are in one city but they actually are living in a completely country and some cases continent that it is a turn off. For example the location at the top of the profile says they live in Sydney but they actually write in their profile that they live in Mongolia. Unless you are looking for a penpal then this is very annoying.

• Like 1
  • Author
Completely off topic but I just read that as wanking in text speak, my brain is now mush trying to figure out how you would actually achieve that...

:o

I'll look into it for you. Might be an interesting Saturday night... ;)

****-I'm not single but what gets me is this shirtless bathroom selfies....ick.

-Posting pictures that are from years ago.

-Writing very demanding wants like "I want a nice honest girl and she must be.....

-Looking for friendship....really??? it's a dating site!

LOL.....or just shirtless period! I know they're doing it to impress and show off their *cough* gorgeous physiques.... but guys it's a huge turn off!

sweet honeydew
Right up there with the shirtless pic or a greased up dude with sunglasses...(shaking head)

I really dislike people with sunglasses on their photos. It feels like they are hiding something or lack of confidence.

• Like 1
LookAtThisPOst
I'm surprised at how similar men's and women's profiles are. They all make the same mistakes that we all find turn offs. How did the human race get this far?!

Gah! I can't stand seeing women with a drink in their hand, especially if it's one of those 'hilarious' extra large ones meant for four people.

And no, food isn't a hobby unless you're a master cake decorator!

I think women could get away with more shirtless pics though... :laugh:

Just saw a woman with 8 pics, age 41, in different sexy outfits, one in a skimpy gym attire, short-short gym shorts with caption, "Personal trainer??"

Daisy Duke outfit, the rest are bikini pictures

Her headline says, "??"

And "About me: "??"

Just saw a woman with 8 pics, age 41, in different sexy outfits, one in a skimpy gym attire, short-short gym shorts with caption, "Personal trainer??"

Daisy Duke outfit, the rest are bikini pictures

Her headline says, "??"

And "About me: "??"

So, you're gonna hit it. Right? :)

• Like 2
LookAtThisPOst

Another thing that's suspicious, they are smiling, without showing their teeth. Looks like they are holding in water before spitting...means they have bad teeth.

• Like 1
Another thing that's suspicious, they are smiling, without showing their teeth. Looks like they are holding in water before spitting...means they have bad teeth.

That's a lot of assuming. Well, maybe not where you live.

Some people smile better without showing teeth.

This guy is in his 40's. He makes a different profile every week and the one before this one said he was "well endowed".

HUGE turn off - no pun intended :o

• Like 1
LookAtThisPOst
That's a lot of assuming. Well, maybe not where you live.

Some people smile better without showing teeth.

Well I was in for a surprise one day when I went to meet woman from POF to see she had missing front teeth.

Never heard this word said in context. Is that the same thing as being a minimalist?

Anyhow, I'm guessing since I don't see the words "anti-consumer" in women's profiles, I guess it's a guy thing?

I am not taking a position, just offering a definition:

Anti-consumer = pro-corporate

Anti-consumer means against the consumer.

It does NOT mean against consumption or minimalist.

• Like 1

- "My friends totally made me do this" hurr durr. We know why you're here. Stop trying to save face.

- People who tell you how they won't tolerate misspelling/grammar mistakes. Good to know you care about the things that matter in life. Next!

- "A guy who can make me laugh." I'm not going out with you to put on a comedy routine. Obviously if we click well and our personalities mix there will be lots of laughter, but don't expect me to perform for you.

"A guy who can make me laugh." I'm not going out with you to put on a comedy routine. Obviously if we click well and our personalities mix there will be lots of laughter, but don't expect me to perform for you.

I think you're reading too much into that phrase. I'm not expecting a comedy show myself but if a man can't produce a broad smile on my face or make me laugh a little (and I should be able to make him feel the same way) then it wouldn't work for me.

This thread is actually showing me what people read too much into. But I just have my profile out there and if they read something negative into what I've written with an entirely positive frame of mind then that's on them.

I'm away to browse okcupid again. Let's see what I find.

• Like 1

I remember one truly hideous profile I did read once. Some 30 something guy who fancied himself as a bit of a casanova, wrote that he loves to 'love women'....:sick:

First thoughts were....

- Just so we're aware you're not into loving men?

- Why not just write you've got good tongue action?

- In other words, you want a roll in the hay and then to never contact the same woman again.

I'm sure he thought it was a romance novelists wet dream or similar but it just came across as I'm a gigolo for hire. Pretty sure give it 5yrs and there will be a dating site where people just scroll through endless dick pics in order to sort their matches.

• Like 1

So a few things I've found with tonight's browsing on POF:

Someone with a decent profile and ticks all the boxes but with really posy pictures. I've still added him to my favourites but I prefer when men use more natural photographs outdoors and doing fun things rather than studio pictures.

"hello. Is it me you're looking for?"

"work hard, play hard" *rolls eyes"

Another profile goes as such:

About Steve

Me

• Like 1

Ooh I found another turn off. When a guy says "I don't have an ideal woman, but ideally she'd have fiery red hair" or something like that. This is one I saw. I thought "hmm well that is going to put off any woman that doesn't meet this description". I've gone off guys I've been dating because they tell me I don't meet their ideal type. I dated one boyfriend for a year and I remember at one point he told me his ideal type is red haired women. Then after we break up, he is with a red haired woman. So ever since I try to avoid this. There's got to be some guys who like women with dark brown hair out there. :laugh:

• Like 2
AverageJoe1986
Ooh I found another turn off. When a guy says "I don't have an ideal woman, but ideally she'd have fiery red hair" or something like that. This is one I saw. I thought "hmm well that is going to put off any woman that doesn't meet this description". I've gone off guys I've been dating because they tell me I don't meet their ideal type. I dated one boyfriend for a year and I remember at one point he told me his ideal type is red haired women. Then after we break up, he is with a red haired woman. So ever since I try to avoid this. There's got to be some guys who like women with dark brown hair out there. :laugh:

To me this is the same thing as the 'Bonus if you're tall, dark and handsome' thing. Why would anyone who is not in the categorie mentioned bother to respond? If anything is not that important to you then don't put it on your profile.

• Like 1
I think you're reading too much into that phrase. I'm not expecting a comedy show myself but if a man can't produce a broad smile on my face or make me laugh a little (and I should be able to make him feel the same way) then it wouldn't work for me.

This thread is actually showing me what people read too much into. But I just have my profile out there and if they read something negative into what I've written with an entirely positive frame of mind then that's on them.

I'm away to browse okcupid again. Let's see what I find.

Just going off my own broad personal experience, the profiles I'm talking about list this under the "who should message me" or "what I'm looking for" areas. Most of the time it's the only thing written there. Just a hollow, expressionless "make me laugh" line. Now if you expanded that into what you're talking about, which is talking about meeting someone you can laugh with and be goofy with, that's perfectly acceptable.

This thread is about specific turnoffs on profiles. That is a big one for me. Make me laugh doesn't tell me that you're looking for someone to be silly with. It makes me think you have nothing to contribute and you just want someone to entertain you. A profile is like a resume as some people have said. This type of woman treats it more like an application for you.

This type of wordplay is very "me" focused and self centric. I avoid these types of women because instead of showing you why you should pick them or what could be had by being with them, they're already putting you through the ringer and telling you what you need to do to please them. No thanks lady.

Sorry. I just couldn't resist. I know what you're saying. I would never just say "I like the outdoors". I'd list things and places. I'd give examples and it would show in the photos. It would also tie into other life choices.

Ultimately I'm agreeing with you and elaborating the point from the perspective of someone who likes the outdoors.

I find it quite curious that some people have strong preferences/obsessions with specific physical characteristics... like red hair, or whatever. And would actually break up over insecurities about not meeting the criteria in an ideal description.

You'd think relationships are nothing more than choosing someone with the right physical description and living happily ever after.

What if a guy said a certain movie star is hot- does that mean you'd have to end the relationship because you can't be her... or only if you aren't her doppelganger?

I have one that isn't really a turn-off per se... Just something I find a bit odd. I was travelling for work recently and had a rest stop-over in a US city for a few days. While I didn't have time to actually pursue anything, I did break out the OLD apps out of curiosity as I usually do to check out the locational differences.

I didn't know that there was such a huge military presence there! Every second guy seemed to be US military; marines, airmen, soldiers, sailors.. All types. The thing I found odd was that they were all in uniform in their pics. Now I've come across military guys in my home country as well. But they have without exception not advertised that in their profiles; it has rather come up in the later what do you do convos.

Now I like a man in uniform as much as anyone. But on a profile It just came across to me as a bit... Overt and obvious? Leading with the whole I serve my country thing. And oh btw here I am in my uniform so you can tell my exact rank and service.

So as I said not a turn-off... But certainly a little off putting for me :-/

I don't know... Maybe it plays well for them in general? Would be interested to know what others think.

Edited by SolG
  • Like 1
AverageJoe1986
Just a hollow, expressionless "make me laugh" line.

I have to say with a fake profile with really good looking pictures I made a point of saying to every woman who messaged me first that had this on their profile that I am very humourless and not much fun. I cannot think of a single woman who objected and all of them said that it wasn't really important to them.

Confusing much!

Edited by AverageJoe1986