My first second interview of my life. What to expect?

Wanted to ask your honest opinion.

Do you think I was called and told not to show up for the interview on wed because they are using me as a back up plan? I just don't know how to feel about all of this.

Here is my two cents, obviously time is not of the essence. When they are ready to fill the position they will contact the applicants. You have to work with their time table.

Bittersweetie

Just 2nd interview tips if I ever get a damm call back from that lady.

Why don't you call her? "Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation late last week regarding the reschedule, do you have times in mind?" Unless she specifically said to not call her, that could be an option.

• Author
Here is my two cents, obviously time is not of the essence. When they are ready to fill the position they will contact the applicants. You have to work with their time table.

I see I need to ask this question now at the end of interviews

"When are you looking to have the position filled?"

Just very odd the way this hiring process is going

Apply Aug 1st

Called on Sept 21st for interview

Called on Oct 11th for Second Interview

The real question is are they trying to have this position filled before Thanksgiving?

• Author
Why don't you call her? "Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation late last week regarding the reschedule, do you have times in mind?" Unless she specifically said to not call her, that could be an option.

Well when I was speaking with her she did ask for my cell number as another way to contact me. And when I asked if the call would be from her secretary she said no it would be from her.

So she mentioned Thursday or friday as one of the days the interview will be scheduled for so I guess I should just try and contact her tomorrow.

Well when I was speaking with her she did ask for my cell number as another way to contact me. And when I asked if the call would be from her secretary she said no it would be from her.

So she mentioned Thursday or friday as one of the days the interview will be scheduled for so I guess I should just try and contact her tomorrow.

If you are meeting with the director, it's his schedule that will determine the time. If it's another non-profit gig, they might be waiting for funding.

• Author
If you are meeting with the director, it's his schedule that will determine the time. If it's another non-profit gig, they might be waiting for funding.

Yes it's a nonprofit gig and supposed to be with the director.

Yes it's a nonprofit gig and supposed to be with the director.

The director would be the one with the answers. How much do you know about this outfit, where do they get their funding?

You would have a better chance being hired as a pinsetter in a bowling alley, than you would landing a paid position for a non profit agency.

• Author
The director would be the one with the answers. How much do you know about this outfit, where do they get their funding?

You would have a better chance being hired as a pinsetter in a bowling alley, than you would landing a paid position for a non profit agency.

Yes I know where the funding comes from

Just very odd the way this hiring process is going

Apply Aug 1st

Called on Sept 21st for interview

Called on Oct 11th for Second Interview

This is not odd at all - especially for a non-profit.

It is worse for banks and civil service jobs. My first job was with the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. I applied for the job in January, took placement tests in April, interviewed in June, and started work in September.

A friend of mine works for Citibank and her resume took four months to make the rounds.

My last job with a non-profit had me interview the beginning of September, interview in November and start in January.

• Like 1
  • Author
This is not odd at all - especially for a non-profit.

It is worse for banks and civil service jobs. My first job was with the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. I applied for the job in January, took placement tests in April, interviewed in June, and started work in September.

A friend of mine works for Citibank and her resume took four months to make the rounds.

My last job with a non-profit had me interview the beginning of September, interview in November and start in January.

I have a feeling that the start date for this job would be after Thanksgiving, maybe january

I have a feeling that the start date for this job would be after Thanksgiving, maybe january

Can you hold on 'till then?

• Author
Can you hold on 'till then?

Yes I;m fine until february. It's a job with the city and if I had known it would take this long I would have never applied. But since I have I will just continue to go along with the process.

If I don't hear from her tomorrow should I call on Thursday?

If she said the interview was to be Thursday or Friday, than you should call her tomorrow...

• Author
If she said the interview was to be Thursday or Friday, than you should call her tomorrow...

ok I will call in between 10am and 12pm.

Yes I;m fine until february. It's a job with the city and if I had known it would take this long I would have never applied. But since I have I will just continue to go along with the process.

It's a non-profit job with the city? I thought all city jobs were considered civil service?

And yes, government jobs (all levels) seem to take the longest with the hiring process. When you first gave the timeline, it sounded as if maybe the first person they hired didn't work out and this was their second round of recruiting. But now that you've said it's a city job, the timeline makes sense.

If/when you go on in for a second interview, definitely ask about the remaining timeframe (i.e., when they expect to make a decision, possible start date). That way you'll at least be prepared to wait.

• Like 1
  • Author
It's a non-profit job with the city? I thought all city jobs were considered civil service?

And yes, government jobs (all levels) seem to take the longest with the hiring process. When you first gave the timeline, it sounded as if maybe the first person they hired didn't work out and this was their second round of recruiting. But now that you've said it's a city job, the timeline makes sense.

If/when you go on in for a second interview, definitely ask about the remaining timeframe (i.e., when they expect to make a decision, possible start date). That way you'll at least be prepared to wait.

Well I called and left a message for her this morning and now I will move on for the 3rd time and explore other opportunities. It's a non-civil service job with the city.

Well I called and left a message for her this morning and now I will move on for the 3rd time and explore other opportunities. It's a non-civil service job with the city.

I don't understand why you would "now move on and explore other opportunities." You should be always be exploring other opportunities until you are hired.

• Like 4
  • Author
I don't understand why you would "now move on and explore other opportunities." You should be always be exploring other opportunities until you are hired.

When I say move on I mean that after 5pm, I will mentally check out in regards to this job because the process is too long. I have always been looking for other opportunities I just mean that mentally I will no longer care if I;m called back or not.

Remember I said I applied on August 1st and they called on Sept 21st? Well I had more than one interview in september because I was applying to other jobs. So I don't ever just focus on one job and not look for other options.

I second this statement.

• Like 1
  • Author

I don't remember who the poster was on here but someone suggested I call the lady when I didn't hear anything after the 1st interview. So I did that and maybe that's why I was called for a second interview but normally I just send a thank you letter and move on to the next job opportunity.

Here is the other question, who is performing this job now while this long process is going on?

I don't remember who the poster was on here but someone suggested I call the lady when I didn't hear anything after the 1st interview. So I did that and maybe that's why I was called for a second interview but normally I just send a thank you letter and move on to the next job opportunity.

Here is the other question, who is performing this job now while this long process is going on?

maybe someone is planning to leave in december or something? so they are taking their time with the interview process because right now there is still someone doing the job? just a guess.

• Author
maybe someone is planning to leave in december or something? so they are taking their time with the interview process because right now there is still someone doing the job? just a guess.

Well looks like it's over, no call today from the lady.

I will continue with the job hunt and Finish out the month of October strong

Well looks like it's over, no call today from the lady.

I will continue with the job hunt and Finish out the month of October strong

Calm down, it's not over, she never said when she would contact you, only that the interview would be take place on a Thursday or Friday. She didn't give a specific day or date.

• Like 1
  • Author
Calm down, it's not over, she never said when she would contact you, only that the interview would be take place on a Thursday or Friday. She didn't give a specific day or date.

I wished she had kept this part of the job quiet until she was ready to make me an offer. She told me in the 1st interview that

"This is the type of job where you will always be in the office"

And I was glad to year that because it's so hard to find a job in my field that has 0% travel. So that combined with the fact that the company is walking distance from my apt is what makes me very interested.

I wished she had kept this part of the job quiet until she was ready to make me an offer. She told me in the 1st interview that

"This is the type of job where you will always be in the office"

And I was glad to year that because it's so hard to find a job in my field that has 0% travel. So that combined with the fact that the company is walking distance from my apt is what makes me very interested.

Keep them on your radar, that sounds great.

• Like 1