Consolidated Discussion - A man's/woman's height in the search for relationships

soccerrprp
I am 5'9" 160 lbs with a small build. But I work out a lot and am in great physical condition with muscles.

A 5'7" girl I liked asked my height then flat out rejected me making short jokes. Then she hooked up with another guy 5'10". She got mad at him (for a good reason) and they broke up. This guy was totally fat and would drink a 6 pack a day.

Then she recently got married. I met her husband and he is 6-6'2" and bigger build then me but totally out of shape.

I am a college educated professional, speak 5 languages and traveled. My interest was real and sincere (not like the first guy) and she actually feels because I am not 6' tall that I am less than human. A joke.

This has really hurt my self-esteem. Any way to get it back? It seems so unfair and ignorant.

The woman was clearly one to forget! But, dude, I don't pity you at all! Many, many more women would not find your height a disadvantage.

Man, I know we can be sensitive, but you don't have a problem. I'm only 5'6 and dating is more than possible for me. But, you, at 5'9, it's easier. :)

If anything, count your blessings and get out of this unnecessary funk.

• Like 1
Maleficent
I am 5'9" 160 lbs with a small build. But I work out a lot and am in great physical condition with muscles.

A 5'7" girl I liked asked my height then flat out rejected me making short jokes. Then she hooked up with another guy 5'10". She got mad at him (for a good reason) and they broke up. This guy was totally fat and would drink a 6 pack a day.

Then she recently got married. I met her husband and he is 6-6'2" and bigger build then me but totally out of shape.

I am a college educated professional, speak 5 languages and traveled. My interest was real and sincere (not like the first guy) and she actually feels because I am not 6' tall that I am less than human. A joke.

This has really hurt my self-esteem. Any way to get it back? It seems so unfair and ignorant.

It has nothing to do with you. She just wasn't interested or attracted. It happens all the time. Even Ryan Gosling must get rejected at times! lol

Besides, the fact she rejected you making short jokes bothers me a lot. Very immature on her part.

If I were you, I'd be glad she went else where.

You shouldn't let your self-esteem be so affected by this. It seems you have a lot going on for you.

• Like 1
Maleficent
You will read a lot of posts here from girls telling you that height doesn't matter to them but they are lying. It does. They are just unwilling to admit it.

They are long on sympathy and short on honesty.

yeah but 5'9'' is fine.

LittleTiger
Just as it is for you. Admit it. Or are you like most other girls who will not admit it?

Wow! What happened to you in your break from LS last year? Unless I'm mixing you up with someone else I always had a lot of respect for your posts. This is really quite aggressive.

I am more than happy to admit that I have a 'preference' for tall guys. I'm also prepared to admit that I'm only 5'3" tall myself so by LS standards, I have no 'right' to prefer tall men. I'll even be really specific for you - I prefer men between 5'11" and 6'2", with blue eyes, dark curly hair, long legs, flat stomach with visible six pack, slim build with very well defined muscle, good teeth and a great smile......and that's just the physical. I have a long list of character preferences too!

BUT they are preferences NOT requirements.

I have had relationships with guys between 5'7" and 5'10", with brown eyes, grey eyes and green eyes, with straight hair that was mousy brown, blonde and red (oh and two guys were completely bald), guys with short legs, little 'beer bellies' and even stocky with not a lot of muscle!

.....and before you jump on me that I should have dated shorter than 5'7", nobody shorter than that ever asked me out!

mesmerized

The girl was an idiot. The question is why would you let someone like her affect your self esteem? Just by the description alone I can tell you're hotter than the other two guys she was with. Don't sweat it, some women just have bad taste in men!

• Like 1
soccerrprp

.....and before you jump on me that I should have dated shorter than 5'7", nobody shorter than that ever asked me out!

How about a date? :) There you go, you're covered...:)

I believe 5'9" is the average height for men in the US. Not that that has anything to do with someone's preferences. Just that anything below that is short.

LittleTiger
How about a date? :) There you go, you're covered...:)

:laugh:

Thanks, I would have been delighted to accept, since you're currently one of my favourite posters. :)

I am, however, engaged and very much in love so you're a few years too late.......and I'm probably a few years too old! :D

• Like 1
soccerrprp
:laugh:

Thanks, I would have been delighted to accept, since you're currently one of my favourite posters. :)

I am, however, engaged and very much in love so you're a few years too late.......and I'm probably a few years too old! :D

Congratulations! :D

• Like 1
bob the brave
The girl was an idiot. The question is why would you let someone like her affect your self esteem? Just by the description alone I can tell you're hotter than the other two guys she was with. Don't sweat it, some women just have bad taste in men!

It just bothered me watching her with her husband all lovey dovey. Knowing that this guy is no better than me except he's taller. It was like she was saying he's a man and you're not.

Edited by bob the brave
bob the brave

Ever see the beginning of Captain America? When he is small he is ignored by all the girls even though he is by far the most caring, moral, brave and compasionate stand up guy around. He is completely ignored by girls, inspite of this, until he is made bigger.

Although maybe not as intense, I think men largely regard women the same way. That is tall is sexier than short. It's not a one-way street.

And why height? Why isn't eye color a deal breaker? Because, of all the shared traits, height best defines gender. A small guy seems efemimine, while a tall girl seems masculine. So now we know why people are prejudace. Let's see how prevelent really is.

Only 13% of American men are 6 ft or taller. Also, 7" is roughly 10% of 6 ft. Therefore, only 10% of a person's height determines whether a man is passed over or accepted. That is, a man can be 90% the height of a tall person and still be considered short (5'5").

What? It looks like the statistics are saying, most people aren't tall and those that are aren't that much taller. It looks like height discrimination as far as mating goes is a myth. A farse. Then why is Steve Rogers so frustrated?

I myself have been on both sides of a height discrimination so I know it exits. It hurts when one's hard-earned important accomplishments are ignored in favor of something they can't change and dosen't really matter much anyway. Man that is frustrating, painful and ignorant.

So, in short (sorry), statistics are telling us to chill, Steve Rogers won't be left in the cold even if he never becomes Captain America. The problem isn't one of finding someone, it's pure morality. Are we willing to sacrafice our comforting instinctive motivation in place of earned, some may call true value? Could you as a 5'6" guy date a 6.2" woman if she is a fantastic, caring, accomplished individual? Or is more important to find someone smaller that makes you feel more like a man?

I for one say scerw it! It would certainly be werid for a while to view a world of circus freaks, but imagine the possibilities. Once it becomes normal (remember not long ago mixed marriages or gay marriages were strange) everyone would be judged more for who they are themselves. Sure, physical attraction is still a factor, but wouldn't the world be a happier place?

Edited by bob the brave
fortyninethousand322

I think most of the problems men and women face in the dating arena are attributable to evolutionary biology/psychology...

SincereOnlineGuy

Only 13% of American men are 6 ft or taller. Also, 7" is roughly 10% of 6 ft. Therefore, only 10% of a person's height determines whether a man is passed over or accepted.

So what. According to your logic, only 10% of a person's height determines whether a man is hung, too.

SincereOnlineGuy

Only 13% of American men are 6 ft or taller. Also, 7" is roughly 10% of 6 ft. Therefore, only 10% of a person's height determines whether a man is passed over or accepted.

So what. According to your logic, only 10% of a person's height determines whether a man is hung, too.

There, it's settled...

1.This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.

From what I've observed men don't like women who are too tall, and women don't like men who are too short. I can't really figure out why. We humans are awful picky. Its kind of sickening.

• Like 1
SincereOnlineGuy
I am 5'9" 160 lbs with a small build.

they broke up. This guy was totally fat...

It seems so unfair and ignorant.

Ah well, what comes around goes around.

• Like 1
HuffmanMontana

I'm 5'7" and 3/4.

My ex was 5'8" and before her my ex was 5'9".

I think most women are open to dating a guy not their preferential height if he has the personality to attract her.

• Like 3
You couldn't be more wrong. I love tall women. But then I love women around 40+ plus compared to women in their 20's. Things aren't set in stone as you think.

My eye gravitates to men 5'6 to 5'9 most. I never thought much about it until reading so much about height on LS. But it's true, they men who turn my head are usually not tall.

• Like 1
It just bothered me watching her with her husband all lovey dovey. Knowing that this guy is no better than me except he's taller. It was like she was saying he's a man and you're not.

She sounds like a vapid and fickle woman...do you really want someone like that? Not to mention she is making you feel bad about yourself right now...:(

you have so much more going for you than to be worrying about this kind of rubbish woman. How long have they been married?

When the honeymoon period with this tall one wears off what do you think...?

HoneyBadgerDontCare

It's societal. People are just following the crowd. They blame it on biology so that they don't have to take accountability for basically being mindless idiots that can't think for themselves.

I'm 5'6 and do well with women so it's not TOO much of a limiting factor (at least, for me). But I also happen to be very good-looking. My short friends that are not good-looking have a much harder time.

salparadise

The female preference for taller men is working for me, and I'm really enjoying it. So please don't start any rumors that it would be fashionable for women to date shorter men. All I have to do is find a nice attractive woman about 5' 9" or more and they automatically prefer me to 95 percent of all men. Most of them say outright that they just can't date someone shorter, and I've also noticed that they strongly prefer someone taller than their ex-husband. I'm so happy to indulge them.

HoneyBadgerDontCare
The female preference for taller men is working for me, and I'm really enjoying it. So please don't start any rumors that it would be fashionable for women to date shorter men. All I have to do is find a nice attractive woman about 5' 9" or more and they automatically prefer me to 95 percent of all men. Most of them say outright that they just can't date someone shorter, and I've also noticed that they strongly prefer someone taller than their ex-husband. I'm so happy to indulge them.

Don't worry bro. That will never happen.

Taller people are sometimes seen as more attractive but it is not even a fraction as bad as some of you make it out to be. You people make it out to be some horrible deformity.

• Like 4

I usually don't screen for height, although I admit that I like tall men, I'm attracted by other qualities too, for example for me eyes are very (the most) important, can trump height by far. But my next date is 6.5. I want to see that. I can't stop to think that that will be "too tall". Would it be possible for a man to be "too tall"?