Consolidated Discussion - A man's/woman's height in the search for relationships

LittleTiger
Loving a physical appearance is *****, it doesn't last. It is the personality that the smart and good girls go for. The sluts want the face and body.

That girl was wrong. Completely wrong. She gave up you, whom from what I know, a very decent guy. Her mind is fu*ked.

A guy like you'll find a good girl who will love you for your mind and feel attracted to your face and body, but not so much that you must fit a certain unreachable criteria.

Whilst I agree that this girl wasn't a very nice person, it has nothing to do with her rejecting the OP as a potential boyfriend. She wasn't attracted to him. That's not a crime and it doesn't make her a bitch. Lets be honest here, if you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it, and we all fall in love with someone's physical appearance to some extent, it's human nature.

What does make her a nasty person is that she ridiculed him for being too short for her. She probably has self esteem issues of her own if she feels the need to put others down. The OP is definitely better off without her.

cinta_satu

So there is the common thought out there that girls like tall guys. I was recently dumped so I guess my loss of confidence is one of the reasons I'm asking this.

How big of a factor is height? Assuming everything else about the guy is great. Great smile, pretty eyes, smart, educated, socially adept, funny, and very caring.

I'm about 5'7-5'8. My ex is 5'6 and the guy she's dating now is probably close to 6 ft.

While we were together she always said she was fine with my height and I believe her, but the guess the fact that she jumped to a taller guy so soon after the BU got me thinking.

I'd imagine it's pretty common for a rebound to be the exact opposite of the person you broke up with.

Some people care more about height than others. I just don't want to feel like I am smaller than the guy.

ScreamingTrees
Actually you're incorrect close but no cigar.:)

U.S. 178.2 cm (5' 10.2")

Height Chart of Men and Women in Different Countries

So much for the educated people.

Huh. I must be living in a part of the US with the shorter half of the average.. They certainly aren't all 5'10+.. lol

@ Cinta_Satu I think it's just your insecurities turning what is most likely a coincidence into validation for your beliefs.

ScreamingTrees
There are women of Asian or Hispanic descent all over the U.S. The height requirement is not an issue in their culture. Even if they have become Westernized in some respects, there are still cultural differences, and since the women themselves in those cultures tend to be on the shorter side, they are not so focused on height in a man. That would be my suggestion anyway, that you pursue women from cultures where height is not an important thing for them.

If they aren't particularly westernized, they most likely won't want anything to do with the guy in the first place unless he's Hispanic or Asian. He'd only really have a shot with their westernized counter parts.

tomtheman1234

I might have a date with this really really hot girl that is taller than me. I am about 5' 6'' and this lady is 5' 8''? I am not so sure.

TaraMaiden

Go.

It might be fun. Turn it into a novel evening.

If you are already nervous about it!

It seems like it will be an issue in the future!

However! I say go and try your luck!

I've always been into tall girls, and IME the girl is the one who has a problem with it more than I do. Must be insecure.

id not be fussed at all, if you got a date then she clearly finds you attractive, just go with the flow and see what happens.

• Like 1

I am six feet tall, and I have dated several men who were 5'10" or 5'8", it really doesn't have to be a big deal. If they were sexy and confident in themselves, hell, it's all the same when you're horizontal. If it made them insecure and they commented on it a lot or tried to stand on curbs around me well, then that was a turn off.

• 5 weeks later...

Lately, I have taken an interest in a woman. Spoke to her briefly, got a good vibe from her, sounds like a wonderful person in general. My interest in her has increased as a result of it.

However, there was one thing that concerns me a little: her height.

She is at least 2 inches taller than me. I'm 5ft 6in while she is 5ft 8in. When she wears hells, she looks like she could be 6ft.

If I were to date her (and if a relationship was to come from this), is there something that I should know that may arise during the entire process and afterwards because of her higher height?

eastcoastgirl88

Wow, I think it's cool that you are attracted to a taller woman. How very Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman of you!

I can't think of anything specific that may arise other than the high heels issue. You should assure her that if she wants to wear them, you will be totally comfortable with it. That way she won't feel awkward.

ThaWholigan

Probably not. My brother is your height and he dates girls taller than him all the time. If it doesn't bother you, it probably won't bother her.

Wow, I think it's cool that you are attracted to a taller woman. How very Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman of you!

I can't think of anything specific that may arise other than the high heels issue. You should assure her that if she wants to wear them, you will be totally comfortable with it. That way she won't feel awkward.

I'm sure there will be no issues with that. I don't know how she feels but I guess I will find out more once I speak to her again.

That is like the only thing that sticks out like a sore thumb. Besides, I'm more concerned with how she feels about it, not me. I wouldn't let her height bother me that much since she's wonderful in basically every other area.

I just wish I'm in a better position financially though. Still feels like a downer that, outside of what I can do in support, that I got nothing else to offer. :(

While I prefer women shorter than me, I have no issue dating a woman taller.

All that matters is how fine with it she is.

Lately, I have taken an interest in a woman. Spoke to her briefly, got a good vibe from her, sounds like a wonderful person in general. My interest in her has increased as a result of it.

However, there was one thing that concerns me a little: her height.

She is at least 2 inches taller than me. I'm 5ft 6in while she is 5ft 8in. When she wears hells, she looks like she could be 6ft.

If I were to date her (and if a relationship was to come from this), is there something that I should know that may arise during the entire process and afterwards because of her higher height?

Seriously this is a problem? Men don't really care about height as girls do so stop being a girl. You're lucky a girl that is taller than you would look at you as an option.

I'm 5'7" barefoot, with heels I'm close to 6'. I've always wanted to be shorter....besides the point though. If she doesnt care, and you're comfortable....go with the flow. My sons father used to love when I had heels on and was taller than him.

Thats so true....because majority of taller women look at shorter guys as if they are gutter sludge that shouldnt be sharing the same oxygen as them.

Sorry that made me LOL!

Seriously this is a problem? Men don't really care about height as girls do so stop being a girl. You're lucky a girl that is taller than you would look at you as an option.

No, it's not a problem to me. I'm just curious as if there is something as far as stereotypes that I need to be aware of.

Like you said, this isn't exactly a socially normal kind of relationship and while I don't give 2 craps about stereotypes, I rather not be in the dark about them either.

Stop trying to make a bigger problem out of it, for crying out loud.....

I don't get this. I love my bf for who he is, not his height. To make him feel better, I've stopped wearing median to high heels.

But we've just finished our sophomore year in high school so that means there is enough time for him. As of now our height is 5'10 (me) and 5'8 3/4 (him).

He has wondered what would be his final height and if he'll reach the 6ft mark. He has said ''Bumbee, you're so tall, even after all these years I still can't past you''.

I'm wondering if there is a way get him to stop focusing on this. Is this really what most guys desire, to tower us?? I don't see any difference. It would still be him but only taller and maybe more weight added. But still him.

• Like 1

I don't see the big deal personally. I like taller women and also my height. I"m only 5'4" so a good amount of women are taller than me. He needs to get over it eventually.

• Like 1

Because height is a factor in attraction. Thats why. And because for the most part, men prefer shorter girls, and women prefer taller guys.

There are exceptions of course...but thats the usual sexual attraction that biology sets up in us.

But if you guys fit together and enjoy each other, little things wont matter. Preferences arent written in stone.

• Like 4
ScreamingTrees

So, you're basically just an inch taller? A quarter of an inch doesn't make any real difference. Even an inch isn't that big of a deal.

Well traditionally women are with taller men. It just looks "funny" when the girl is taller. It's an odd pairing. Plus, he wants to feel dominate over his woman... like he can take care of her and instinctively that includes his height. He'll have to get over it or find someone shorter than he is so he can feel better. Just continually let him know you don't care about his height if that is the case.

It's the same issue with penis'. Guys think they have to have a big penis to please a woman when really they just need to know how to USE it. :)