Breast Feeding in Public

fantasy2000

Lauriebell82
So mom and baby, while still breastfeeding, should hide away in their home and NEVER go anywhere lest the baby get hungry? :confused:

Um. Yeah. Okay. :lmao:

I don't think I said that...

What I meant was that if the mother is in a public place then she should excuse herself to the bathroom to breast feed. I don't think that is a huge deal do you?

Do you REALLY think it's appropriate for a mother to start breastfeeding in a very fancy restaurant at a table full of people eating?

Art_Critic

What I meant was that if the mother is in a public place then she should excuse herself to the bathroom to breast feed. I don't think that is a huge deal do you?

Honestly LB.. yeah that is a big deal...

Would you eat your dinner in a public bathroom ?

Bathrooms are disgusting and not someplace you should be consuming food of any sort.

When was the last time you had a drink and a burger while sitting in a public toilet and smelling urine ?

Edited by Art_Critic

Do you REALLY think it's appropriate for a mother to start breastfeeding in a very fancy restaurant at a table full of people eating?

I think what you want is very selfish.

donnamaybe
Honestly LB.. yeah that is a big deal...

Would you eat your dinner in a public bathroom ?

Bathrooms are disgusting and not someplace you should be consuming food of any sort.

When was the last time you had a drink and a burger while sitting in a public toilet and smelling urine ?

THANK you!

Good gawd, it's as if some people are talking about feeding your damn dog or something! :mad:

Lauriebell82

Wow, sheesh. Sorry for voicing my opinion!

Maybe I see it differently because I am not a mother, I don't know.

Wow, sheesh. Sorry for voicing my opinion!

Maybe I see it differently because I am not a mother, I don't know.

Your opinion is offensive

America prides itself on "freedom" and yet a mother cannot feed her baby in public, one of the most natural things ever without people turning their nose up at her doing so?

You have to remember that the Puritans who first settled the United States were, essentially, religious fanatics who were kicked out of England and The Netherlands for their fanaticism. They were all about controlling society's behavior. I blame them for the prudishness that continues to permeate this country.

FYI - women ARE free to breastfeed in public. But the public is also free not to like seeing it. Freedom works both ways. We don't require everyone to have the same opinions.

donnamaybe
FYI - women ARE free to breastfeed in public. But the public is also free not to like seeing it. Freedom works both ways. We don't require everyone to have the same opinions.

And we are free to find certain posters' opinions oppressive and offensive. ;)

Lauriebell82

Agreed. This subject is controversial, not everyone is going to have the same opinion on it.

I'm sorry if I offended everyone, but I guess you can't please everyone can you?

Lauriebell82
And we are free to find certain posters' opinions oppressive and offensive. ;)

And vice versa!!!!

What is NOT okay is to make people feel bad about their opinions. But like I said, you will have that sort of thing on controversial threads. Not everyone is going to feel the same way about the subject and it's unrealistic to try to change others' minds about the subject or expect them to do so.

Edited by Lauriebell82
donnamaybe

I'm sure it is considered VERY offensive to NOT want to feed your baby in a public restroom. :lmao:

Lauriebell82
I'm sure it is considered VERY offensive to NOT want to feed your baby in a public restroom. :lmao:

AGAIN, I do not believe I said that! You are taking what you want to take from my posts and twisting it around.

I don't think it's wrong not to want to feed your baby in a restroom. I just don't think it's appropriate to breastfeed in public. I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are entitled to yours. I don't agree with you but I'm not offended by your opinion at all. You are allowed to feel the way you want about it.

donnamaybe

Am I missing something, or did you not say a woman should breastfeed her baby in a public restroom? Are there any other kind of bathrooms in a restaurant besides public? :confused:

Art_Critic
I just don't think it's appropriate to breastfeed in public.

The courts feel it''s appropriate..

I can understand how some people can not want to see someone breastfeeding in public as it does show a naked portion of the body that normally is covered..

I think breast feeding in public is just one of those things you just accept..

Kinda like purple hair..

and you are right that you are entitled to your opinion and I wasn't trying to say that your aren't but honestly telling a woman to go to a nasty smelly dirty toilet to feed her baby instead of someplace clean and quiet or nice is just not really cool IMO...

Lauriebell82

Alright, well all I meant was that she should just excuse herself and go somewhere else where she isn't in plain view of 50 people in a 5 star restaurant. Maybe the lobby? I don't know. I don't think there really is a solution, woman are going to breastfeed in public and people are going to think it's inappropriate. That's life. I think no matter what I say people are going to get upset because I don't agree with public breast feeding.

I was just trying to make a suggestion, I didn't mean to piss anyone off.

donnamaybe

There is a very small cross-section of people who will feel it is "inappropriate" to breastfeed in public. Now as it relates to those women who "let it all hang out" while they breastfeed, that cross-section will grow, of course. There's no reason one can't cover with a light blanket so your boobs aren't on full display. I, for one, always maintained my modesty while I breastfed my babies outside of my home or when others were around.

Lauriebell82
There's no reason one can't cover with a light blanket so your boobs aren't on full display. I, for one, always maintained my modesty while I breastfed my babies outside of my home or when others were around.

Yeah, that's a little better. There are just those people who are going to be offended or think it's innapropriate no matter what. Just like gay marriage or spanking children.

But I do agree with you, that women at least could try to make people LESS uncomfortable by displaying modesty.

CollectiveVelvet

What is considered 'not displaying modesty'? Really, baby covers your breast when you feed them and under those blankets it is very hot and sweaty. I've never understood why people even notice a mother and baby feeding. Moms should never have to feed a baby in a bathroom and anywhere else people are going to stare and make a deal of it.

donnamaybe
But I do agree with you, that women at least could try to make people LESS uncomfortable by displaying modesty.

It's called compromise. Some people are uncomfortable with it completely, covered or not, but they just have to suck it up (no pun intended :laugh:) and be quiet. But I totally understand someone being uncomfortable with a woman laying her boobs out for all to see. I mean, we don't do that when we AREN'T breastfeeding. Why would a woman feel more comfortable doing so just because there's a baby attached to one of 'em? :confused:

donnamaybe
What is considered 'not displaying modesty'? Really, baby covers your breast when you feed them and under those blankets it is very hot and sweaty.

It can get that way, for sure, and I've lifted the top of the blanket away (where no one but me can see) and would blow down lightly inside to circulate air, or lift the blanket away at the top where, again, no one can see so it's not laying totally on my little one.

I think if a woman wants to breast feed her baby and not cover the baby and breast up with a blanket thats fine. Seriously I think its fine if the breast is just all hanging out inbetween the babies feeding if its only for like a minute or two. People are such prudes its really sad.

donnamaybe
I think if a woman wants to breast feed her baby and not cover the baby and breast up with a blanket thats fine. Seriously I think its fine if the breast is just all hanging out inbetween the babies feeding if its only for like a minute or two. People are such prudes its really sad.

And I think that's fine too. It's her modesty - if she feels okay with it, people can just look away if they're uncomfortable. Myself, though, I prefer to keep my boobies under wraps in public.

CollectiveVelvet
Letting it all hang out is really tasteless and I stand by my opinion. ;)

What do you do if you see a woman breast feeding in public?

donnamaybe

I agree that people do NOT need to let their boobs hang in full sight, but I sure wouldn't give them a nasty look if they did. How I perceive a bare breast is MY problem. MY hangup. ;)

However, I find it much LESS tactful that a person refuses to breastfeed their newborn because they find the act "disgusting." Actually, that perspective is rather distrubing from a prospective new mother, IMO. :eek:

Much MORE tactful, I suppose, to stick a bottle filled with sub-standard man-made formula in your infant's hungry mouth. :rolleyes:

CollectiveVelvet
What I do, is my business. This thread is about the tactlessness of breast feeding in public, whereby my stance is that I agree with the OP, particularly when it comes to full exposure.

So much for trying to understand your point of view.

I just don't get having a hang up about something that has zero to do with you.